Guest viewing is limited

THR hipster333 is in recovery<

Ladies, don't despair! During my recovery I knew I was still improving and recovering, but I'd hit the point where improvements come much more slowly and are more subtle and not as dramatic.

Think of kids growing up. When they were infants, you could actually see a change in their height/length overnight. Then, they go through times that they stay about the same size. You might only note a small difference from month to month or year to year and, even then, perhaps only when you measure against the prior year or month.

It might be getting socks and shoes on with a little less contortionism, having a little more energy to do that one more thing at the end of the day, walking a little longer or a little bit farther in a single go or having less soreness or stiffness at the end of the day or when I got up.

Eventually you'll be doing this :spin::dancy::happydance::happyfeet::catdance::yahoo:
 
Power tools were used...all I'm saying.
Not on metal, not on wood but flesh and bone.
It's going to take time...some of us went into THR in way worse shape than others.
Suffering pain to different degrees, using or not using assistive devices.
Consider a Movie Night, popcorn and all. Title of the flick "Live Total Hip Replacement"
Could anyone wonder why we need patience and assistance in our recovery journey after watching that?
 
I just feel like such a burden all the time, especially this far out from surgery.
:chinstroke:A whole 2 and one half months after total hip replacement...what a slacker:heehee:
You are doing too much and I did also as I felt some of it could not be helped, I still do!
Right plan balancing the over activity with extra rest and shortening the activity all you can.
That maternal guilt thing is a killer.
All temporary :yes: so you can "make it up to them" ONLY if you get yourself better. Month four seems to be a big turnaround time for alot of members...if they don't create chronic problems beforehand!
Hope your day is restful:ice:
 
Oh @Bevlah I'm so sorry you have to go through this again soon. I'm lucky my other hip looks ok at this point. The OA is just starting in that one. Doesn't having problems with the other hip make it hard to get your gait right with this one? Hoping your pain goes away soon so you can get the other one done. I guess we just need to take it easier like everyone is telling us here. :friends:

@SaraK that's a good point that we're expecting big changes like we were first seeing. I really should be documenting the smaller things that do seem to be getting better--like less pain in the piriformis than I had. The best part for me is that my hip is no longer "locking" like it was prior to surgery and I can actually stand up. :dancy: Also, once I do get moving it's not as bad. It's the getting going that is painful.

Ack @Layla I finally watched the video of a surgery similar to mine after reading your post. :yikes: I'm so glad I didn't watch it beforehand or I may never have had the surgery. :heehee: ok, so that wasn't an option. I do have greater respect now for what my poor body has been through and why there is still some pain there. I will learn to be gentler. I also talked with my dad and the kids and they have all agreed to picking up a lot more of the housework -- they want me to heal properly too.:yahoo:

@Mojo333 that's so encouraging to hear that month four can be a big turnaround point. I think maybe I had unrealistic expectations for both myself and my recovery going in to this. I do know a lot of people who took three months off of work after this surgery.:friends:

I did learn something from another crazy day yesterday--so I took my dad to his appt which was 40 min away. While I was driving there I got a call from my daughter's school saying she was sick and had to be picked up---so dropped dad off and went back to pick up daughter and take her home (luckily son was off on a pd day and could take care of her---she just had a tummy ache). Went back and picked up dad afterwards. I've learned lots and lots of driving--even with icing the whole time-- equals major pain in the psoas. Thinking back, most of my psoas pain started when I started driving again. Still need to drive, but at least I know where some of the pain is coming from and will try to drive only when absolutely necessary. I'm also going to try and drive hubby's car while he is away and see if the movement between gas and brake is easier for me in that car. My car sits higher up, but you never know. Had to go out this morning, but home now and ice storm is starting so will be in for the rest of the weekend taking it easy:ice:. Hope everyone is having a good, peaceful, healing weekend. Hugs to all. :flwrysmile:
 
@hipster333
I'm just catching up on your thread and have really found the past couple days discussion from you and everyone else so helpful. Thank you for your candid sharing of your situation.
I'm sorry you are experiencing continued pain, but in reading about all you are doing, back to work, kids,
busing service etc. I see it's too much. So easy to see in others and not up close and personal.
This surgery is a big one and because it is so commonplace these days and we latch on to the quick success stories, of course we think we can just go do it all! Especially moms of kids...mine are grown now but I remember.
My OS took me off PT and said time heals this. Pain tells us to back off, or at least it is supposed to if we listen. Great that you have pinpointed some of the cause with driving, I will be anxious to hear if the vehicle swap helps.
Maybe your kids can help you have a mini vaca at home while Dads away. Really low key couch potato stuff.
Best wishes for you this week.
 
You're braver than I am! @hipster333
I've yet to watch a Live Hip Replacement video. I watched a short animated version and once the router
used to ream out the femur was drawn out from within, holding bloody debris...I was done....OFF! :thud:
My husband watched the live version, as did my dad and knowing me well they both cautioned me against watching it. I'm trusting them on that :yes:

Don't know if you caught any of JRAD, I thought it was great, one of the surgeons
described Joint Replacement as a major assault to the body. So when you consider you just experienced
this "assault" a mere 9 weeks ago....that's extremely recent in the whole big picture of life, right?

I think you're on the right track and it seems you have the love, support and assistance from family that you'll need to move forward.

Big hugs to you!
 
Just stopping by to say :hi:
Hope you, your dad and kids are settling into a groove while hubs is away.
Also hoping you're getting the rest you need and that the pain is easing.
Wishing you a good day! @hipster333
 
@BeBe hope you're doing ok. I need to find more time to check in with everyone. I haven't been able to try the car swap yet, but will let you know. We had an ice storm over the weekend so only one of our cars is dug out--supposed to warm up in the next couple of days so I'll try then. I'll keep you posted :good-bad:. I'm trying to take it as easy as I can. I think it's feeling a bit better, but only a little bit. @Layla I thought you'd seen the surgery before and were recommending it. Oh my word, I swear I'm going crazy since the surgery:rotfl: That video freaked me out, but it makes me appreciate what my body has gone through all the more. Left a msg with the receptionist for my OS today since pain is still pretty bad for 10 weeks. She says he's in the office today and will discuss with him to see if there is anything else I should be doing or if I should just let time heal. I see him again in two weeks. I've been icing a lot and taking 1000 mg of tylenol every 6 hours as Josephine suggested. Keeping extra activities to a minimum. I'm not very good at this patience thing. :whistle:
 
You'll get there. Remember also the danger in comparing....possibly you don't have a super high pain threshold. We are what we are, not created equal. I'm sure your pain will settle in due time and hopefully you can give yourself permission to patiently wait it out, taking care of your body in the best way you're able as you continue healing. Don't like to see you suffering though. Hopefully your OS has some idea to help you along.
Complete healing can go on for a year or two. Taking that video into consideration, I'll bet you can understand why.
Hope you find relief soon, your day is peaceful and your kids act like saints > :angel: :angel:
Dad too > :angel:
@hipster333
 
Nope started to watch the vid but since it is now personal decided to pass for now.
Hope you get some answers from your OS soon.
 
Hope you get some answers Triple3...can't have you hurting all the time.
Wishing you a good good day!
:angel: for all to be well.
 
@Mojo333 I finally got an answer. @Layla and @BeBe and everyone else (hard when you can't list all of your wonderful BoneSmart friends in a row) OS got back to me and said not to worry--my pain is still normal at this stage and may continue for a couple of more weeks. He will reassess when he sees me May 3, but he thinks I'll be feeling much better by then. I feel better just having that reassurance. Unfortunately I have one more appt with PT and then my benefits run out. I'm thinking of trying an osteopath since I have coverage for that and I saw and a thread somewhere that @Jaycey found it helpful. Maybe I should wait for a bit though and let nature take it course until jumping into more treatment. Any thoughts?
 
Great news! @hipster333. I'm happy to hear it and happy for you!
The peace of mind achieved through a little reassurance does a body good. Its wonderful you feel relieved.

In my opinion I can't see why visiting with the Osteopath would do any harm.
It may even bring you some relief. It's all relatively gentle, I believe.
With that said. I've never met with an osteopath, so those that have would be much better qualified
to comment or offer opinions. I'm looking forward to any responses you get as I may consider it for myself.
Hope your day is good!
 
Yay for no big issues.:yes: Didn't remember exactly where/what pain complaint you had specifically, but I know that my quad/thighs hurt for up to 6 months, and sensitivity long after that.
I have also thought of osteopath as I feel as if I have some SI issues, but am not anxious for them to jack around with my new hips... will check when I have my one year appointment May 1
Hope you feel reassured.
 
Last edited:
Hi hipster 333

I am glad that the surgery went well and hope that you have a good recovery. I can't wait for my new hip but unfortunately I have to wait until the end of June approx for mine.

Have a good day and hope that you feel better soon
 
The peace of mind achieved through a little reassurance does a body good. Its wonderful you feel relieved.

@Layla It does feel so much better just hearing it from the that he thinks it's normal. My next appt actually just got pushed back by a week to May 10, so he must not be worried at all--that will give things a better chance to calm down anyways. After that I will not see him until the fall (unless there are any issues) :yes!:

I have also thought of osteopath as I feel as if I have some SI issues, but am not anxious for them to jack around with my new hips...

@Mojo333 I'm worried about them messing around with my new hip too. It's supposed to be very gentle, so we'll see. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and see if things calm down on their own and then I may give it a try. Hope things are calming down for you--the weekend is coming!

how did I miss that you are also from Canada?
Slack off as long as you can....no guilt. Better to recover right the first time.

:heehee: @sequin98 I didn't fill in my profile properly, so Josephine just fixed it for me. Oops. :whistle:What part of Canada are you in? We're in southwest Ontario. I keep trying to slack off, but with hubby away it feels like I'm always on the move. I think I'm starting to feel a little bit better though. :egypdance: Congratulations on your one-monthiversary! :yay:

I am glad that the surgery went well and hope that you have a good recovery. I can't wait for my new hip but unfortunately I have to wait until the end of June approx for mine.
@LINDZ1975 it felt like forever that I had to wait for my new hip. It will be here before you know it and then you'll start feeling better. :yes!:The wonderful thing about recovery is that you're moving forward and you'll get better every day--even if it feels sometimes like you aren't. Just make sure you don't push yourself too hard (like I have been doing). I'm looking forward to following your journey!

Have a great weekend everyone! :flwrysmile:
 
I am in Calgary, Alberta. Finally double digit temps today!!!
Keep moving, but not to excess! I am not due to work until July 1, and maybe longer if I feel like it! lol
You prob had long wait lists too, right? I waited a year just to see an OS.
 
Love Calgary! Glad you’re finally having nice weather. It’s beautiful here too today @sequin98. I had to wait a year to see OS and then another year on the wait list before my surgery. Ugg. At least it’s over now. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom