THR hipster333 is in recovery<

I did the same...went back to work n 5 hour days...intermittent sitting and walking...icing also and that is a-plenty during the week.
Plus it wiped me out! I agree you should give some of the other a rest. Big surgery and lots of energy needed for deep healing.
Certainly check with OS on ongoing pain.
I'm not a big everyday pain relief user, but I kept up with extra strength Tylenol, which worked well for post op pain (never used much before as I was an ibuprofen fan)
 
Last edited:
I know every recovery is different, but wondering if there is a problem since I am still having a lot of pain.
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
Thank you so much for helping me @Josephine!

1. Posterior approach for surgery

2. level of pain right now is 4

3. Pain medication - no longer on prescribed medication. Take 600 mg of ibuprofen 2-3 times per day as needed and 650 mg acetaminophen 1-2 times per day as needed. I was on 5-10 mg oxy post surgery every 4-6 hours, but have been off of that for 6 weeks now.

4. I have been icing the painful areas for an hour at a time 4-5 times per day

5. I have not been elevating the leg (using pillow under knee when lying on back, but not elevating lower part of leg)

6. Activity level-- at work-- putting books back on shelves (I work in a school library), working on displays--no heavy lifting. Active about 20 min per hour. Drive 1/2 hr each way to work.

at home - cooking dinner, standing about 15 min--most meals I had prepped ahead of surgery and frozen so minimal effort needed. Some cleaning, dusting, cleaning bathrooms, general tidy up (do a little bit every day so about 20 min per day). Grocery shopping -- pick up a few things every 2-3 days. On weekends drive 45 min to take daughter to class and run around stores for 1.5 hours and then drive home 45 min.

7. Exercises at home
stationary bike 15 min
walking 15-25 min
no other exercises being done at home at this time

Exercises at PT
No exercise being done at PT for past 2 weeks. Range of motion has been tested and is limited.

Ultrasound has been used (for hip flexor and piriformis), and heat has been used on the piriformis.
 
@TinyMom it's so hard to know if what we're feeling is "normal" or if there's a problem. I really thought that after 9 weeks I'd be feeling better than I am. It seems like I'm doing about the same now as I was 3 weeks ago. :boohoo:@Bumblebee it's been my biggest frustration not knowing when to back off from activity and when I should be doing more in order to move forward in recovery. Thanks

@MammaT and @Mojo333. It helps to know that I'm not the only one who had/has to back off for a bit.

I've backed off now - no extra exercises, biking, or walking. Hopefully this will help and then I'll be able to slowly add things back. If things don't get better I'll touch base with my OS prior to my 12 week check-up. I've been using both ibuprofen and Tylenol as needed, but it doesn't really help a lot.

@Layla prayers are always needed and appreciated. Hugs to all. :friends:
 
2. level of pain right now is 4
okay for 9 weeks out.
3. Pain medication - no longer on prescribed medication. Take 600 mg of ibuprofen 2-3 times per day as needed and 650 mg acetaminophen 1-2 times per day as needed. I was on 5-10 mg oxy post surgery every 4-6 hours, but have been off of that for 6 weeks now.
I've been using both ibuprofen and Tylenol as needed, but it doesn't really help a lot.
That's probably because you're not using the correct dose.
Ibuprofen is a very poor painkiller and besides, it has some rather nasty side effects you should know about.
Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
As for Tylenol, 650mg 1-2 times a day is useless. Much better to take the correct dose which is 1,000mg 3-4 times a day. Much more effective than NSAIDs
4. I have been icing the painful areas for an hour at a time 4-5 times per day
Good
5. I have not been elevating the leg (using pillow under knee when lying on back, but not elevating lower part of leg)
It's the upper part of the leg that needs elevating!
6. Activity level-- at work-- putting books back on shelves (I work in a school library), working on displays--no heavy lifting. Active about 20 min per hour. Drive ½hr each way to work.
When did you return to work? And how many hours/days are you working?
at home - cooking dinner, standing about 15 min--most meals I had prepped ahead of surgery and frozen so minimal effort needed. Some cleaning, dusting, cleaning bathrooms, general tidy up (do a little bit every day so about 20 min per day). Grocery shopping -- pick up a few things every 2-3 days. On weekends drive 45 min to take daughter to class and run around stores for 1.5 hours and then drive home 45 min.
That's a lot for 9 weeks out AND working! If you are working, you need to cut back majorly on the housework, specially if you're running your daughter around and shopping.

stationary bike 15 min
walking 15-25 min

no other exercises being done at home at this time

Exercises at PT
No exercise being done at PT for past 2 weeks. Range of motion has been tested and is limited.
Okay, but I still suggest, given all that you are doing, that you quit the bike and the walking. You're doing more than enough anyway and don't need those.
 
When did you return to work? And how many hours/days are you working?
That's a lot for 9 weeks out AND working! If you are working, you need to cut back majorly on the housework, specially if you're running your daughter around and shopping.

@Josephine. Thank you so much for getting back to me! I returned to work after almost 7 weeks off (so 2.5 weeks ago). I am working 5 hrs per day four days a weeks and three hours per day on Fridays.

I will take all of your advice and adjust everything accordingly. I really don't want to mess up this recovery.
 
Hi hipster333 - catching up tonight and your post got to me. I'm at 7 weeks today and still have pain after sitting too long mainly. Do my exercises in the morning but not regimented after that - just walking. Back to work but maybe too early (didn't have much choice) but no big demands on me physically. Have to remember to get up and stretch! Saw Doctor yesterday and asked for PT script because I want to make sure I'm doing everything right and think I need more - guess I could be wrong about that (the more part). From Josephine's answer I guess I'm doing pain meds wrong too - Tylenol does nothing for me and I don't want to go back to so much ibuprofen like before. I'm doing the same type of household stuff & shopping like you - looking forward to warm weather so I can get outside. I just want pain to be gone! Need cane to get going but hate depending on it. Icing not really helping either - one other thing I got from Josephine was the pillow under the upper part of leg - seems obvious now but I haven't been doing it - may help! Hope you do better too - this forum is awesome!
 
@Debluca I had to go back to work too early as well. I think a couple of more weeks would have been better, but we do what we have to do. Hopefully Josephine's advice will help all of us. I tried the pillow last night and it did help. Luckily icing has been helpful for me--if I could leave the ice on 24/7 I'd be a happy woman. I have tomorrow off, but I need to drive my dad around to appts so it really isn't a break. Tylenol doesn't do a lot for me either. Although I can't wait for the warm weather, I'm nervous about it too because it means I'll be out in the garden and I don't think I'm ready for adding extra work--plus I'll want to be outside all the time. @MammaT and @Bumblebee I'm just frustrated--I want to be done with this pain and get on with life.:hissy:
 
@hipster333 - that is so frustrating that your recovery feels like it has stalled out! I hope some of the tips here help you turn the next corner. I like your thought of touching base with the OS prior to your 12-week appointment, especially if backing off the walking and bike don’t make much difference.

Hang in there, friend! We are with you. Sending hugs and prayers! :flwrysmile:
 
Luckily icing has been helpful for me--if I could leave the ice on 24/7 I'd be a happy woman.
Then why don't you - when you don't have to go out, that is!
I have tomorrow off, but I need to drive my dad around to appts so it really isn't a break. Although I can't wait for the warm weather, I'm nervous about it too because it means I'll be out in the garden and I don't think I'm ready for adding extra work
Honey, you're only 9 weeks out. You should NOT be doing these things! And especially not gardening! It's asking for trouble.
Tylenol doesn't do a lot for me either.
Did you try the change in dosage I suggested?
 
I feel your frustration @hipster333. I want to get back to gardening and yard work. I found with first hip if I was doing those things it worked better if I cut back on other things.

I found relief after a week or so from backing off my ambitious walking and bike (especially both in same day). I had to let some of the inflammation resolve. I am just telling myself that by pacing it more now, I will be able to do more later.

There are some things I have to do on my own. The grass is growing! I found with first hip, that I can do such things, but instead of charging out and doing it in a straight hour and a half, it can still get done if I break it down into reasonable chunks. If I do it over the course of a day, fine. I am planning on doing it over three days if that works best-I view it as a 30 minute walk, which I can do. Not thinking about flower beds for a few weeks, but I have no doubt they will start in smaller chunks over several days, and not on mowing days!

Hang in there my friend, we’ll make it.
 
I think hipster needs a little more R&R! Orders from headquarters (Josephine)
Show the fam what she advised. Then sit back with your feet up and your ice packs, in your most cozy chair
and ask hubby to peel you a grape :rotfl: We need a laugh, right?
Aww, sweetie it's going to be okay...really it is!
Prayers for comfort and healing. Big hugs :friends:
@hipster333
 
Then why don't you - when you don't have to go out, that is!
I think I will. I just bought a new ice pack that is 15"x10". it is my new best friend. :heehee:

Honey, you're only 9 weeks out. You should NOT be doing these things! And especially not gardening! It's asking for trouble.
I'll leave the gardening for at least another month or two. The weather is not very nice here right now anyways. As for the running around, unfortunately some of it can't be helped--I'll just try and do the minimum I can get away with.

Did you try the change in dosage I suggested?
I did try the change in dosage--t helps to take the edge off, but that's about it. :boohoo:I stopped the ibuprofen altogether as you suggested. I'll just ice more and elevate and see how that goes, along with reducing my activity levels.
 
There are some things I have to do on my own. The grass is growing! I found with first hip, that I can do such things, but instead of charging out and doing it in a straight hour and a half, it can still get done if I break it down into reasonable chunks. If I do it over the course of a day, fine. I am planning on doing it over three days if that works best-I view it as a 30 minute walk, which I can do. Not thinking about flower beds for a few weeks, but I have no doubt they will start in smaller chunks over several days, and not on mowing days!

@MammaT I think. like you. I will need to break up the activities and breaks more. I thought I was already doing this, I guess just not enough. Like you said, some of the stuff just needs to get done and there is no one else who can do it. I just have to let go of the things that I can get help with. I just feel like such a burden all the time, especially this far out from surgery.

I think hipster needs a little more R&R! Orders from headquarters (Josephine)
Show the fam what she advised. Then sit back with your feet up and your ice packs, in your most cozy chair
and ask hubby to peel you a grape :rotfl: We need a laugh, right?
@Layla I showed hubby and he gave me a dirty look and asked what I've been saying about him :loll:. He's been telling me for weeks that I'm doing too much. Not a good time for him to have to travel, but we'll get through this. I do have two teenagers who can step up--too bad they're both too young to drive.

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers @Layla and @TinyMom. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! :friends:
 
Hipster, please TRY not to feel like a burden to your family. Think of all the time you lovingly and unselfishly devoted to them over the years. Allow them the opportunity to give back. You had major surgery and you're recovering. It may be taking longer than you hoped, but you want to get it right so you can move forward without pain. You will get there!

I'm wondering if you're like me in trying to do ALL yourself because you want it done in a way way that satisfies you? I did that with my kids until I realized they weren't going to learn if I didn't afford them the opportunity. Now is the perfect time for yours to learn / hone some basic household chores and caregiving skills. Let them care for you, they love you and this is only temporary. They're learning how to be compassionate and giving through caring for you.

Let your dad do what he's capable of also. He may love the opportunity to show you he's thankful for all you do for him. I believe your hubby leaves soon for three weeks. Consider a family meeting before hubby leaves and delegate basic tasks that will keep your house running smoothly and your anxiety level down while he's away. You could make each teen a list of what you expect on a daily basis for the next 2-3 weeks.
Possibly by then you'll be feeling stronger and able to take on more.
At the very least it will give everyone direction and hopefully meet your expectations for the short term.

Hang in there, it will gradually get better. While it may be taking a little longer than you hoped, think back to your physical limitations before surgery. Look how far you've come!!
Hope today is a good day! :)
@hipster333
 
Last edited:
@hipster333 hi lovely lady. I am like you, frustrated with this healing. You are not alone I am 3 months post op and don't feel I have made any progress in the last month. The lovely people on here tell me to be patent so I can only give you the same advice! I am worn out from it all and have put my next one off until August as I am nowhere near healed on this one. You are doing great and we will get there! Have a lovely weekend
 
Back
Top Bottom