THR hipster333 is in recovery<

@Jaycey and @hipster333 . I think perhaps 2days a week of dishes & 2 days a week of hanging out with Grandpa. Jigsaw puzzles. Interview him. Camera. Make a video. Learn about Grandpa's childhood. What he remembers about his parents. I wish I had done that! What about printing out some of the level of activities BS has..... Let them discuss it. I bet you are OD. Let them figure out how you can do less. Perhaps they can help plan meals. Maybe make salads or veggies or desert. If I am throwing it on the wall to see what sticks. I confirmed with my PT.... If you OD, then you take steps back. It will take you longer to get to where you want to be: healed. Perhaps your family wants you healed faster instead of slower. Sometimes people who are not a part of BS, like to hear it from another source. We know Josephine is right. Those people that don't know her need confirmation from another source.
 
@hipster333 - whew, one more thing on your plate with dad at home, too. He may have had THR but certainly did not do it while managing kids plus work, etc. You are super-mom with all you’ve got going!

Lots of nice suggestions here for easing the burden on you. For me, the challenge is always to find alternatives that don’t make my life harder in the interim. It feels easier to do it all ourselves, though of course, that’s not the case in the long run. You’ll find what works... just make sure you are taking time for your healing. It’s hard when your family rhythm is off, but you’ll get it back soon enough. Hang in there, you’re doing great!:)
 
Haha! Mojo
Haha! Haha! Sara

Just ignore us @hipster333 while we carry on, on YOUR thread. I haven't misbehaved around here since
my recovery days at MyAussieGirls playground.....as I fondly thought of it.

In some ways an aging parent is like a third child hipster333 and I'm sure no one knows that better than you.
You care for him, cook for him, put a roof over his head and worry about him. You shared you feel pressure
to spend time with him. You are dealing with a lot, during a time when your energy reserve is low.

We want to see you heal properly and thrive, feel well rested, relaxed and at peace.

I love Sara's idea of enlisting the kids to each help out one day a week. Puzzles or board games are great ideas as is Gidgets Camera / Interview / Video! Phenomenal idea, Gidget, that would truly be cherished one day. There are also those books that an aging parent can fill out with questions like 1) Who was your first friend. 2) Where did you and grandma meet etc. I bought two of those books when my grandma was in her 90's and each time I'd visit her I'd fill out several pages. I learned things about her I never thought to ask! We'd laugh as she told stories, elaborating on answers. It was great! I also encouraged my siblings to do the same when they visited so we could complete the books. I need to do the same with my parents to have those memories for my children and their children.

Don't you just love all this unsolicited advice?!!! We have a love for all our BS buds and just want to see you happy, comfy and at peace.
Big hugs to you!
 
Thinking of you this morning, hipster
Hope you're day is good and your weekend peaceful and relaxing.
Love and hugs to you!
@hipster333
 
Love the advice and will be on to comment tomorrow. It’s been a harrowing day. Just want to send a shout out to the four lovely ladies and firefighter who helped me cross the ditch so my husband could pick me up after being stuck for 6 hours behind a 14 car pile up and oil spill on hwy 7/8. Bless them for helping. It’s been almost two months since my hip surgery but there was no way I could have crossed the icy ditch on my own. Praying the spill is cleaned up soon and all of the people stuck can get home safely to their families. Hopefully we’ll get our car back from the side of the road. When hubby picked me up they still hadn’t decided how to get the oil spill cleaned up. Ugg. Hip on ice and going to take a nap. Hugs to all.
 
My stars! Rest up and recover. Being stock in a small enclosed space like that for so long can't have felt good and getting out to stretch doesn't sound like it was a viable option. I'm amazed you COULD cross the ditch, even with help, after that! :bow:. Now consider :martini::bath::ice::sleep: - in whatever order seems best to you!
 
@hipster333 - oh my goodness, what an ordeal!! Yes, ice and nap sound perfect after your day. :ice:

Hope all is cleared up soon and you are able to get your car back. Glad you are safe!
 
:flabber: :xmark: heavens to murgatroyd.....you poor girl!!! Sending you more ice....for your poor hip.
 
Got the car back. Thank you for your prayers. Ice and sleep right now. Hugs all.
 
Hmm - I am originally from the US but have no idea what this is - can you enlighten me?
@Jacey chocolate lasagna is totally not healthy, but it was a yummy treat. Here, I'll post the link she used--new family favourite for Easter dessert: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/chocolate-lasagna-502197
I love hearing everyone's advice on chores, etc. :loveshwr: @Mojo333 you're right that if I include hubby I have 3 kids--actually if I include my dad, who can be worse than the actual kids sometimes, then I have 4. :heehee: @Layla I looked into those books you were talking about and think I'll get the kids one to interview all of their remaining grandparents. It would be really good for all of them. We'll see hubby's parents this summer so I'll bring the books with us when we travel out west. In the meantime they can interview my dad. @AgilityDog and @SaraK I will try and give them more options and without yes or no as an option, just pick something and do it. @TinyMom you're right about it creating more work for ourselves if we don't be careful
I am super sore today from my ordeal yesterday (thank God I wasn't actually in the accident--I can't imagine what I would feel like, poor people!). Had a hard time sleeping last night even with ice and ibuprofen. Had some running around we had to do this morning, but trying to take it easier this afternoon. There is some cleaning that has to get done, but hubby has already offered to do bathrooms (this never happens so he's in my super good books right now!) Will have kids take on extra chores this weekend so I can recoup. Dad has already stepped up and cleaned the kitchen. :roseshwr: I have definitely taken a few steps back in my recovery, but hope to be back on track quickly. @Bumblebee that extra ice should help. :ice::)
Thank you all for being so wonderful. Hope you're having a great weekend. I hope to catch up with everyone's threads shortly. :yes!:
 
@Josephine I know every recovery is different, but wondering if there is a problem since I am still having a lot of pain.

It's been 9 weeks today since my surgery. I'm still having pain with every step I take (in both the psoas and the piriformis) and use a cane most of the time as I am still limping - trying to walk heel to toe and slowly to correct this.

I have no pain when I am sitting or lying down. I am using the stationary bike 15 min per day and going for a 15-25 min walk every day.

I see my OS next at 12 weeks. I have done physio, but am not doing the exercises (primarily I have had ultrasound done in the areas where there is the most pain).

I ice a lot at home and during the day at work (I am back working 5 hrs per day, but have a job where I can sit or walk around whenever I want). I had OA in my right hip for at least 12yrs and compensated for a long time because of it.

Is my body just slower healing than others or could there be a problem?
 
@hipster333 - sorry to hear you are still dealing with that much pain. Hugs to you! I will be anxious to see Josephine’s reply... lingering pain is a concern for many of us. It’s great to be rid of pain from the OA, but it’s so hard to know when other pains should subside and how much activity is too much!
 
@hipster333 Sounds to me as if you are doing too much. You are only just over 2 months out and already back to work. That with riding a bike and the walking - I think your hip is telling you to slow down. I am not a medical expert but if it were me I would try doing nothing except your work and see if this eases.
 
Hi there,
Sorry you're struggling hipster, didn't realize you were suffering such frequent pain.
I'll bet backing off of everything as Jaycey recommended may do the trick.
Will be watching to see what Jo has to say. Hope you get some answers.
Hugs and prayers you feel stronger soon :prayer: :console2:
@hipster333
 
I feel your pain...literally. Sitting too long can also not be a good thing...be sure you get up, walk every hour. Desk jobs especially when you are engrossed in your work wrecks havoc on the psoas muscle, tightening (shortening) it, and we don't concentrate on our posture either. Again, hard to find the sweet spot between too much and too little.
 
Hi @hipster333, just catching up. You have certainly had some adventures! I was doing tons of bike and walking and having tenderness and inflammation that was bothering me. I backed off as much exercise and things started getting better. In the rush to be back to normal it is easy to fall into doing too much. Now that everything is settling down I am really enjoying the second new hip. We really aren’t that far out from surgery.

I haven’t gone back to doing nothing, just concentrating on getting done what needs done on a given day. Now that weather is finally moving to spring, I know I will be outside dealing with things and will naturally be getting more activity. I just have to remind myself it is ok to sit and take a break.
 
Back
Top Bottom