Guest viewing is limited

THR hipster333 is in recovery<

So true! Although my OS told me that my left hip is good for a while,I know that I will wine loudly when it starts to hurt.
 
@hipster333 - hi, just came by to check on you! Glad you got some reassurance from the doctor, and it’s good to hear you are feeling a bit better. With all you have going on, your healing timeline might just be stretched out a little. Hope you find some time to rest! :ice:
 
How's our favorite hipster doing?
Hopefully you're feeling well and the kids and dad are helping you through as hubby is away.
Are you halfway through yet? Wondering how you're handling work these days also...
Give us an update next time you're chillin. Would love to hear how you've been.
Hugs :friends:
@hipster333
 
@Layla thanks for checking up on me.:friends: It has been very busy with hubby gone so I haven't had time to check in too much lately. Hopefully things will settle down soon. Chauffeuring everyone around is taking up a lot of my time and the hip doesn't like the in and out of the car. Overall I think I'm feeling better. Still having pains, but they aren't as bad as they were. I'm hoping the tight muscles will start to loosen soon (I think they're still in panic mode trying to take care of the old hip). Just like me, they need to learn to relax. :heehee: Work is going well and the 5 hour shifts are easier on the body than they used to be (I'm better with the icing too--since I got to the point where I stopped caring whether the kids see the ice packs) I'm hoping to be able to start more walking soon, but am waiting until things calm down a little bit more (I have been able to do the stationary bike and walk on the weekends when I'm not working and don't have any extra problems).
 
Hi @hipster333
I'm sorry that with all of the chauffeuring you need to do as a mom that it's one of the things causing you pain. Have you tried using an ice pack while driving? I used to bring one of those smaller gel packs and it seemed to help. It won't ease the discomfort you have while getting into your vehicle, but possibly help when you're getting out if it's been iced? Might be worth a try.

I can see where it may be difficult for you to relax in the small amount I know about your life. Not only are you trying to run a household with all that entails but also trying to keep hubby, kids and your dad happy. Then throw in a job. I don't know how you do it, sweetie. I hope somehow you're able to carve out time for yourself. Time to meditate, pray, listen to calming music, engage in gentle exercise, nap whatever helps you re-charge.

I think tackling the stationary bike and walks on the weekend sound like you're making good progress as long as you're not suffering afterward. You're not even three months post op and as you see within the forum we all heal at different rates for many reasons. Keep resting when you're able and carve out some time for yourself practicing some type of relaxation techniques. Your entire body will e-x-h-a-l-e and reap the benefits.
Sending love and hugs your way with wishes for a great day! :loveshwr: :friends:
 
Hi @hipster333 I saw that one of the problems that you’re having is with a tight psoas muscle. I have that problem too. I hadn’t realized that I was making it worse when I elevated my leg at night (elevating keeps the muscle short and makes it tighter). You want to keep that area stretched. Bending that leg, such as when sitting, driving and elevating are making it worse because it keeps it short and tight. I’ve found some relief from the exercises and stretches they’ve given me at PT. I don’t do anything strenuous, it’s just stretching, massaging and light strengthening exercises. Swimming is good too. Not all PT is bad, some is quite helpful in my opinion. You just have to listen to your body and let them know that you want to be gentle on your new hip.
 
@hipster333 i am having buttock and lower back pain from making legs the same length after YEARS of not being equal. Hot bath feels wonderful and some nights a heating pad feels good too. I keep ice and heat at hand. It is quickly obvious which feels most beneficial! Chin up! We have a lot of adjusting to do!
 
Loads of great advice and encouragement...ditto on all the above.
Not a consistent journey, unfortunately Triple3...Ebb and flow on new aches and pains :sigh:
Hope you get a car break..
Sending good mojo your way:egypdance:
 
You are all so sweet. @Layla and @Bumblebee the gel packs do really help when I'm driving. I just don't always have a cold one with me for the way home, but at least I know I'm going home to ice. :ice:@AJinNH what stretching does the PT has you doing for the psoas? Mine has only really given me one and I'm at the end of my PT benefits. The one I'm doing has me lie on my stomach and go up on my elbows to lengthen the muscle. I think I should have held off on the PT for longer in the beginning. :good-bad:@Walkinginthesand I LOVE my hot baths. :bath:It's the one time when I'm not lying down that nothing hurts. That's when I get my quiet time every day.
@Mojo333 thanks for the good mojo. There is always so much good advice here.:roseshwr:
 
Might seem like a hassle but consider buying / using one of those small coolers to leave in your car with one of your ice packs for the ride home. If they truly help you while driving, it may be worth considering for a time.
Anything that brings you more comfort is worth it!
Hugs for the day....hope it's a good one! @hipster333
 
I agree with @Layla about the cooler, that’s what I do now when I go to PT so that I can ice on the way home. You might want to keep a towel or small blanket handy as well, I find it helps to keep the ice pack pressed against your hip.
 
If you take an old-fashioned fill with ice bag with you, you can probably fill at work before you go or stop at McDonalds on the way home
 
@hipster333 Did this this morning as I woke up with this issue:shrug:
Get towel, or strap or I used rolled up sweat pants...Lie down...I laid on the bed.
Cross affected side's ankle up across opposite knee..use towel to pull your opposite leg up to chest, effectively pulling your other leg up with it. Hold for few...release. do several times...
Really did work for me. Awkward and seems contradictory somehow, but if I explained it right...it works.:whistle:
 
Last edited:
@hipster333 Hey, it's been a while. I just cha caught up with your thread. I'm sorry you've been going through so much. I hope you start to feel better. This recovery can be tricky for some of us. Sending prayers and hugs your way! :friends:
 
@hipster333 one stretch that my PT has do is to lie down with my op hip on the edge of the bed/table and carefully drop my op leg over the side while keeping my hips flat on the bed. You should feel a very good stretch in your groin. Be sure to drop your leg slowly so that it doesn’t pull too quickly. I also do side leg raises, only as high and as many as is comfortable. Start very slow, just do a few.

If you can lie on your stomach, a gentle yoga cobra pose is also a great stretch. Again, be gentle and only go as far as what’s comfortable.

I’m also stretching my hamstring with a yoga strap (you can use a belt).

The important thing is to start slow, only do a few, and don’t do anything that hurts.
 
@AJinNH I've been doing a modified cobra and that does help. I tried the one lying on the back with hips on bed and leg down and psoas seems to be feeling a little better this morning. :yay:The tennis ball idea is brilliant. I am running out to the dollar store this weekend to buy a tennis ball. I'll let you know how it goes!

@Mireille my recovery seems to be taking a while, but I feel like it's headed in the right direction now. You'll get there before you know it!

Enjoy your weekend!:flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom