THR hipster333 is in recovery<

@hipster333 Stationary bike? You go girl! That's awesome! Glad you're getting ready for the dreaded return to work. On one hand it should be nice to get back to a normal routine. On the other hand, we still feel like napping, icing and resting. O Powerball, where art thou? :rotfl:
 
@Newhip2/14 I won’t let the masseuse anywhere near my incision, but my back and hip flexor could really use some work. Pt thought it would be a good idea. I don’t think I could do chiro at this point. Too scared of dislocation even with a great chiropractor. :(
@SaraK yay there’s hope for a pain free life! You are my hero!
@Mireille have you tried a stationary bike yet? It’s amazing how great it feels to have a hip that actually moves. Haha. Much easier than walking. :) (sorry I’m on my phone—no fun emojis :( ) I think it’ll be nice to be on a schedule again once I get back to work, but if the lottery does happen I’m down with the napping and icing. Lol
 
I'm a huge fan of the stationary bike myself. I found it easier than walking and loosened the joint so well. I talked to PT and OS before surgery and got permission to use it for a few minutes and no resistance right away - gave myself the day of surgery off but went the next day. :heehee:
 
@hipster333 I've used the stationary bike at home and PT. I know exactly what you mean. It does feel good to use the muscles. My favorite are the hamstring stretches. I love those, weirdly enough :heehee:. During my recovery for TKR, I had a few sessions of lymphatic massages with a reputable masseuse and it actually worked wonders for me. She had existence widening with joint replacenent patients so she knew what not to do. I found it beneficial and would highly recommend it. :ok:
 
@Mireille I will mention the lymphatic massage to my masseuse--anything that will help! I like those hamstring stretches too, now that my hamstrings are a bit looser. they also really help with the knees--now if only I could get them to stop making the popping noise.
Finally starting to think I'll be ok going back to work in a week. Went out with the fam on Saturday for a few hours, came home and iced a bit and them did the bike and a walk. No nap and feeling better than I have in years. Still a bit tired, but I guess that's still to be expected. Managed to make it to church today and shared in a fellowship dinner with friends. Able to walk outside with minimal use of the cane (really just need it near the end when I get tired and start to limp). Hooray there is hope! :loveshwr::happydance::dancy::spin:
 
Definitely good news all the way around. It does seem that we only realize how much pain we had when we feel the difference after surgery. I had less pain after about 2 weeks each time than I'd had before - and knew it would only continue to get better. You may be more tired and have a bit more pain at the end of the day when you start working. It will get better, though and is just part of the transition. You may not even feel it, though, when you're at work. The more you have to occupy your mind, the less time your mind has to acknowledge it (which also means you need to occasionally stop and take mental and physical stock of how youre doing and whether you need a break or some ice). I had to go back way too early and got an icepack I could wear on my hip all day long.
 
Sounds like a great weekend @hipster333. Tiredness can take a while. I am also to the no nap point, but still need to put my legs up and rest a bit.

Have a good week!
 
Happy Monday!
Sounds like you had an eventful weekend and handled it well.
So awesome! It's wonderful to read that you feel better than you have in years.
Happy for you @hipster333
Hope your week is great!
 
Paying for my eventful weekend today. Not too bad, but limping quite a bit--not something we want. :boohoo:Going to leave it at one walk for today with the bike and stretching. pt can wait for tomorrow. Time for more ice!
 
I saw on one of the other threads that you were concerned about returning to work and not being able to ice. I bought a contraption (search KooCare) on Amazon that had an old fashioned bag you fill with ice and then a wrap that allowed you to strap the ice on and be completely mobile. I had to come back to work after 1 week and that contraption was a life saver! I filled it with ice and strapped it on and didn't care what it looked like to someone else!
 
Are you still using cane @hipster333? I went on walk yesterday without using cane (because I could), but towards the end it wasn’t very comfortable. Today I used it intermittently when I felt uncomfortable and ended a longer walk feeling better. Did more of a light tap with it than support if that makes sense.

It’s ok for use to have easier days. My sons who are very into fitness and lifting have lighter work out days.
 
@SaraK that's a good idea! I'll check it out. I should be ok, but it's good to know I can get something if I need it. I was thinking I could also take an ice pack in my cooler for now (since I'm just working three hour days next week) and see how that goes.
@MammaT you're right--it's ok for us to have easier days. I am bringing my cane when I take a walk and just lightly tapping like you said. That way I have it with me when I get tired. I find I need the cane in the evenings still.
 
I can't believe it's been 6 weeks already--even though some days it feels like a lot longer. My restrictions are now lifted!!! :dancy::spin::happydance:So I saw myself walking in a mirror today. Not a pretty sight!!! My butt is swaying like crazy! Practiced for a bit and it looks a bit better. I've got to work on the limp.:skep: Still very achy, but not taking anything except some Tylenol if it gets too bad. Off to pt.
 
Oh the envy I have over restrictions being lifted. I’ve got 4 more weeks. Congrats! :yes!:

LOL on the butt sway. PT should be able to help. I remember being told heel toe with gait repeatedly with my first hip. Had to concentrate and also used cane until my gait was perfect without it.
 
@hikejunkie I've been doing heel to toe--the piriformis muscle is causing lots of pain and making it hard for me to walk straight. It also didn't help that I've been walking around the house barefoot for 6 weeks which has caused problems in my arch--pt said to wear shoes with a good arch and that is helping a lot.
Massage helped yesterday, but everything is still tight. I guess 12 years of bad habits which started from my OA aren't going to solve themselves overnight. :boohoo:I see the OS tomorrow for my 6 week check-up. Hoping I'll be able to see the xray of the new hip.
Have a great night everyone!
 
@AgilityDog I’m not brave at all. Just don’t want people looking at me strangely when I go back to work on Monday. Trying not to look like a duck. Lol.
Saw OS and had X-rays done today. He says everything looks perfect. The X-ray looks like my right leg is longer to me, but what do I know. Lol. It doesn’t look off when I stand in front of the mirror so I guess it must be fine. As far was my waddle he said just do more walking and everything will clear itself up eventually. This guy is so layed back. On top of being one of the best hip surgeons in the area, he’s also an associate clinical professor at a well known university here so I guess he knows what he’s doing. Just wish he could fix the aches and pains. He said the walking will eventually help that too. So I guess I have the all clear to go back to work on Monday. I’ll just make sure I get my steps in every hour and ice when I get home. Hopefully the pain while driving goes away. At least it’s not as painful as before my surgery.
 
Back
Top Bottom