Guest viewing is limited

THR hipster333 is in recovery<

So glad the first day went well! It will get better and better as you go (although the adrenaline rush will probably pass).
 
Hooray @hipster333! I think as we move around in different places and do different things those pesky different muscles just decide to start talking. Are you wearing new shoes ( not ones you wore before surgery)?
 
Good for you on your first day back! Great encouragement for those of us who have a hard time comprehending that seven weeks can get us to where you are. Take things slow and easy.
 
@SaraK since the adrenaline stopped I’m exhausted. Managed to do 15 min on stationary bike and walk 1.2 miles. Now I’m pooped. More ice on as I write this. @MammaT how did you know I was wearing new shoes? That could have something to do with the new pains. We’ll see how tomorrow goes. If it still hurts may change to running shoes for wed. Knee and shin were fine once I got home and when I went for my walk in the same shoes. Hmmm. @BeBe thank you! You’ll get there before you know it. One thing I’ve learned on this journey is that you really have to listen to what your body is telling you. It’ll start giving signs when you’re doing too much. Silly me ignores those signs sometimes but I’m learning. :)
 
I'll bet it's a fulfilling exhaustion. Look at all you did! I'm proud of you @hipster333
Not only getting yourself ready but your kids too, starting dinner in the crock pot, driving to and from work,
spending time at work then stationary bike and walk. That's a lot! Hopefully you are able to rest until bedtime.
Wishing you sound restorative sleep tonight :yawn: :sleep:
 
Kudos to you, @hipster333, on a good first day back to work! Hope you sleep well and feel good tomorrow :yes!:

Btw, I was glad to find your recovery story. You’re 5 weeks ahead of me, and as a mom with kids the same age, I could relate to a lot in your posts. I especially appreciated hearing about your emotional ups and downs as I have had a few myself already!
 
@hipster333 Glad your first day back at work went well! I'm sure the stamina will get better as you get back to your normal schedule. Have a great day! :friends:
 
My guess is you will be wiped out by weeks end...I was.
Tough cookies we are.
Inspiring, you are. Glad you took some Ice Time.
Hope you have a Good Day:SUNsmile:
 
Actually @hipster333, I was wondering if you were using presurgery shoes with old wear patterns. I had trouble with that with first hip.

I am sticking to new athletic shoes I bought post surgery. Got them in black and I am wearing them to work for first couple of weeks. Will go shopping for new dress shoes in a couple of weeks. Limits my wardrobe some.

I came home today and took a nap! Energy will return.
 
@Layla I think I overdid it again yesterday. :( piriformus muscle and hip flexor are super angry with me today and work was painful. Glad I only had to be there for 3 hrs and wondering how I’m going to make it 5 hrs next week. Thank God it’s a short work week! Taking today off from outdoor walking and stationary bike. Getting enough exercise right now walking around the school. The problem is that things start hurting, then I start limping, then they hurt more. Grrr. Trying not to limp. Came home and iced. Thinking of taking a Percocet to dull the pain right now. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. @TinyMom hope you’re doing ok. It will get easier, but every day is a little different. It’s so hard not to overdo when you have so many responsibilities. I love BoneSmart because it’s a safe place for us to be emotional and unless you’ve been through it it’s hard to understand how this effects your mind and body. Happy if I can help you in any way.
@Mireille hoping that stamina kicks in soon! At least I’m not too tired tonight and didn’t take a nap, but the pain worries me. It’s just as bad as before my surgery in the piriformus and I never had pain before in the hip flexor. The only difference now is that I don’t have pain on the outside of the hip and my hip isn’t locking (ok those are great bonuses and I don’t regret the surgery because having your hip lock for 20 min and not being able to stand is not ok—I just didn’t expect the muscle pain). @Mojo333 I will be passing out by the end of the week! My mind and soul are so happy to be back, it’s just this darn hip and I’m sorry for complaining about it, especially when some of my fellow BoneSmarties are having real complications ( like my dear @Mireille and @AgilityDog). @MammaT no presurgery shoes anymore. Shin and knee did fine today. May try the running shoes tomorrow. Actually the running shoes are presurg but never wore them enough to make a tread pattern. Good for you on taking a nap. I should have done the same! Smart move waiting on the dress shoes. :)
 
Taking today off from outdoor walking and stationary bike.
Smart move. Follow up extra activity with extra TLC.
Takes time to get stamina and strength back.
It is a LOOONG week for me already!
I feel you.
Healing hugs:friends:
 
Glad you are resting up today. My piriformis issue is in my left hip but seems to be improving.

Maybe,@hipster333, consider taking cane to work during this flare up? I know we like being independent, but we are just about at the two month mark. Maybe just have it for towards the end of the work day? Might help take some pressure of stuff while things settle down. With my first hip, muscle junk would just turn up every so often. That’s why healing is a process, not an event.

Hope you get some rest tonight and tomorrow goes better.
 
I remember early days back to work with first one. I was out 8 weeks and returned full time. I came home, took care of dog, son took care of himself and I went to bed with an ice pack. It was exhausting. I feel for you.
 
Hi @hipster333
I'm sure it's the change in your daily activity and the adjustment that's causing the pain.
I'll bet you've been stressed in getting ready for the return to work, then there's work itself.
I realize you are easing back in, which is wise, if you have to return at this time.
Consider tagging Jo. The reason being, you mentioned the desire to take a Percocet for the pain.
Not suggesting there is any harm in doing so but you also expressed that the pain worries you.
I hate to see you troubled by this in addition to all the other changes you're adjusting to. Please consider it.
If for no other reason, do it for peace of mind.

Also as mentioned, the cane isn't a bad idea. I was always told to use the cane until the limp was gone.
So you'd think if you began limping again, the cane may relieve some of the discomfort. I'd try it....

Hope the pain eases and you have a relaxing evening!
Hugs :console2:
 
@Layla decided against the Percocet and just took some extra strength Tylenol. Kept in mind my pain is usually ok when in bed. So tylenol taken, some icy hot rub on lower back, and ice affixed to body. I’m hoping that and a good night sleep will do the trick. If it does get worse tomorrow I’ll tag Josephine. I’ll try and slow down at work tomorrow and use the cane as @MammaT suggested once I get tired. I’m just as bad as the middle school kids. Too much pride to want to use the cane. (Which is silly really because I still use it outside) I know my recovery is more important than my pride. @hikejunkie full time after 8 weeks must have been rough. Even when I go back to my regular schedule next week it’s only 21 hrs a week. I think I’m doing too much running around the house trying to be super woman too. My husband told me off for it tonight and said to just let him help more for a while. Wise man. I guess I should listen to him. Ok now I’m crying while writing this so it’s time for bed. Hopefully less pain tomorrow. Goodnight all.
 
I have to stop and remember what happened to my muscles, @hipster333 . If you have watched a video of an actual surgery, there is no doubt left about why your muscles are unhappy. They were moved around and then I can't see mine and I am feeling good and my muscles aren't ready for what I want them to do. :bath: Please take care of yourself!:flwrysmile:
 
@hipster333 - I am sorry to hear you are in pain after another day back at work! Hope you get a good night’s rest and are feeling better tomorrow. I am supposed to back to work after 6 weeks myself, and I am really nervous! We are all in this together :console2:
I have struggled with the pride thing and using my cane (I needed it for several weeks prior to surgery). Taking it to work was hard, but people really do understand. Even my kids were (mostly...:wink: ) okay with it when we were out and about. Bottom line - you gotta do what you gotta do to take care of yourself. I’ll be thinking about you tomorrow... hoping for a good day! :flwrysmile:
 
Prayers and hugs sent your way! Tomorrow is a new day and I hope you wake up feeling better! :friends:
 
You might take a look at your posture when walking. One thing I learned in dealing with the glute tear is that the more upright I walk and keep more weight on heels, the less pain in glutes or piriformis or hip flexor. PT had me really working on that when we were trying to not engage the glutes any more than necessary. The faster you walk or the more you're in pain or limping, the more likely you are to be canted forward some.

I was transitioning off the cane when I started back to work and forgot my cane at home that first day. OMG, by the end of the day, I thought I was going to need to go back to using the walker. I went back to the cane and waited a couple more days to transition and it made a big difference. PT told me to always either rest or use the cane if I got tired or started limping.
 
You might take a look at your posture when walking. One thing I learned in dealing with the glute tear is that the more upright I walk and keep more weight on heels, the less pain in glutes or piriformis or hip flexor. PT had me really working on that when we were trying to not engage the glutes any more than necessary. The faster you walk or the more you're in pain or limping, the more likely you are to be canted forward some.

I was transitioning off the cane when I started back to work and forgot my cane at home that first day. OMG, by the end of the day, I thought I was going to need to go back to using the walker. I went back to the cane and waited a couple more days to transition and it made a big difference. PT told me to always either rest or use the cane if I got tired or started limping.

Hi - so glad to see this whole thread posted, especially on the back to work issues. I’ll have 5 weeks post-op today and started back full time this week. I knew I wasn’t walking enough as Home (and truthfully just had enough with minimal support) that being at my own desk would be just what the doctor ordered... planned on playing it be ear and going home early if I needed to but there’s too much to be done - whole department reorganized while I was gone so much readjustment. I’m up and down from my (very ergonomic chair) a lot and was quite sore after yesterday. I’m not icing enough so will make sure to bring something today. Once I’m up and stretch for a few seconds I’m powering down the hall like it’s nothing - mindful of gait but will definitely take advantage of cane for balance and “reminder”. Surgeon didn’t recommend PT but after I see him next think I’ll ask for a few sessions. Doing my exercises in the morning before my coffee - they do get me going. Have to learn to ask for more help which may be hard as it’s a small office and I’m usually the only one there! Thanks for all the great advice and need to get back to sleep (big issue) before the alarm goes off! Will check back more often too!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom