THR hipster333 is in recovery<

@hipster333 - "catching up on recoveries" and am glad to hear yours is going well. You are two weeks ahead of me so I find encouragement in your journey but also similarities in what I've already experienced. I did not have good experience with the narcotic painkillers so I'm not sure what is the appropriate amount of pain I'm experiencing. Your 'stair step' experience is me.every.single.time. My PT said, "Think heaven and hell .... going 'up' (heaven) lead with your good leg... going down (hell) lead with your bad." Although I don't agree with that sentiment theologically, it does keep me on the "right foot". Being my RHip, when going down - I think of a waltz... 1-2-3, 1-2-3..... "Crutch, bad, good, .... Crutch, bad, good, ..." Whatever it takes, right? Happiest of birthdays to your baby girl and I hope you have Chinese leftover for lunch!
 
@NamaMama you're so sweet. :flwrysmile: You know what's funny? I was saying 'good foot to heaven, bad foot to hell" in my head and still did it wrong. It's like I can't remember what's good and bad anymore. :good-bad::heehee: I will need to try the waltz since mine's the right hip too. The weird thing with the narcotics is that I didn't even get a small buzz from them--they really helped when my pain was bad though. Happy that the pain has gone down and I can just take Tylenol if it ramps up. As long as you can get your walking and any exercises you may need to do in then I think your pain levels are under control.

Pt says everything is looking good and my flexibility is better than she expected (that could get me into trouble!) She showed me how to get into and out of the bathtub to take a bath, but I think I'm going to wait until the three month mark when I'm not as worried about breaking my restrictions. I can also use the cane as soon as I'm not leaning on my walker on the way home from my walks. Had to get my walk in early as there is talk of up to 20 cm of snow starting this afternoon. Boo! :tantrum: I love my walks and was hoping Spring was on the way since the snow was all gone (ok--wishful thinking, I do live in Canada :heehee:)

Hope you're all having a lovely day!:roseshwr:
 
Has anyone else experienced pain in the lower part of your rib cage on the side opposite your operated leg? I’ve had it ever since my surgery. It’s usually just a dull ache but once in a while is more pronounced. I thought it might be bruising from how I was on the operating table. There are no bruises on the outside of the skin, but there is a little bit of swelling. Sometimes the elastic in my yoga pants even bothers it. Any ideas?
 
Last edited:
I thought it might be bruising from how I was on the operating table.
Sounds feasible, bruising on ribs don't always show on outside.
Could you propping / leaning that way when you are sitting?
Not sure.... if it is surgery related, should ease soon I would think.
Hope your weekend is restful.
 
Thanks @Mojo333 I'll see if it starts to ease in the next few days. It just hasn't bothered me as much as it did last night.

So after yesterday's two meltdowns I'm surprised I'm still married. Oh what an awful second half to my day! Daughter has either tonsillitis or strep so had to go to the doctor. I'd been up since 5 a.m and so when daughter and hubby got home from doctor and were making lots of noise and I still couldn't nap I lost it the first time. No yelling, just lots and lots of tears :bawl:Hubby decided part of the problem was the road noise and moved the bed back to our bedroom in the evening. Only problem is that he didn't move any of the other stuff I need on a regular basis and all of my clothes were just thrown in a laundry hamper and I couldn't get to anything. The armrests had not been put on upstairs toilet so I couldn't use it. Hubby thought moving the bed was enough and went to play video games. Yup, I lost it again :bawl:Everyone came running and helped out to put things where I needed them to be. Now that I've had some sleep and can think rationally, I probably just should have asked for more help in the first place. :umm:Rib pain (or just below rib pain) kept waking me up, so it may be another long day--oh and throat now hurts :gaah:. At least I should be able to nap today. :yay:
 
It could also be that it's being stretched or smoothed some when you're sleeping - especially if you're sleeping in another position now than typical or laying on the unoperated side more. That other side also gets used a lot more now with cane on that side, etc. My left arm strength caught up with the right after the last THR.
 
My DH reminds me often that men's brains are wired differently.
I figure after all the years we have been together and especially right after initial surgery - he should instinctively know what I need and how I needed things to be.
Wrong.
Then add in that you don't want to have to be so needy and ask for everything...he should know!
Wrong.
You have to be succinct. Seems bossy, but they do better when you have specific instructions.
"Please get my walker close before you leave and refill my ice bags."
He minded that less than me playing the martyr and when he got back - going off
Um thanks for leaving my walker across the room and it took me half an hour to get my ice filled when it would have taken you five...
Anyway. You know.
Hope you have Better day.
One month out is like one month postpartum. The honeymoon is over.
Mood swings in full force.
:blackcloud::tantrum2::boohoo:
Try to relax...it will get there.
 
I think the lil Hipster needs some love this morning.
So first off, sending LOVE :loveshwr::roseshwr:
Next, HUGS :console2: :friends:

It's only going to get better. Really it is. We've all had those emotional weepy moments.
I'll bet reflecting back, you could even be laughing about some of it now.
I know I did when I went through it :heehee:
Some things just feel magnified / amplified while in early recovery but it truly levels out quickly.
Read Post Op Blues for a refresher
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

Consider calling your OS and speaking with him or a member of his care team about the pain you've described in your lower rib cage. I think the peace of mind you'll achieve through any explanations they offer would be worth your time. Whether we like to believe it or not, those little annoyances weigh on us more than we realize. They may also have some suggestions that will offer you relief. I may be tempted to try a heating pad if it were me. But I'm not a medical professional so I wish you'd consider getting your docs opinion.

Hope your day is peaceful and relaxing. Try to get in some naps while you're feeling under the weather.
Maybe the throat irritation you're feeling won't progress with some extra sleep today.
Hugs to you! :loveshwr: :friends:

@hipster333
 
I really don't know what I would do without all of you! Hugs and love to you too! :roseshwr::friends:@Mojo333 I had postpartum with both of my kids and you're absolutely right. That's just what it feels like! I had a nice nap this morning and am still weepy, but not sad weepy (see totally crazy like postpardum!) Reading all of your posts didn't help with the weepiness. :boohoo::) I think part of it is tiredness still, mild pain, frustration at not being able to go-go-go and also relief that I'm finally back in my own room and that some semblance of normality is taking place.
@Layla I will take a look at that article right away. Thank you! Side seems to be feeling a bit better right now and I just took some ibuprofen so we'll see if that helps (OS said I could take it once blood thinners were finished and I finished yesterday). @SaraK I am definitely sleeping different (on my back--I can't lay on my unoperated side longer than five minutes. I just can't get comfortable. I'm sure it will come) and using different muscles (between the cane, the walker, and the armrests on the toilet--that could certainly contribute. Glad to hear that you are evening out! :yay:Speaking of evening out--I need some of that. I ordered a new pair of pants a size smaller than normal and the only place they were tight is in my left calf muscle (opposite side to my operated leg). I think I've been depending on that calf far too much to get me around the last few years :rotfl:. Hopefully it will come down in size so the pants fit better. :loll:
Thank you for cheering me up!!!! Hope you're all having a great day!
 
You sound like you are doing well @hipster333. The side thing is strange, but we have so much stuff moved around and then using walker, etc. hard telling. I do believe in checking with doc for peace of mind.
 
Thanks @MamaT My OS office is was closed by the time I called so I'm going to see how the weekend goes and if it gets worse go to a walk-in or the hospital. I think I've figured out what it is. I was thinking about what SaraK said and I think it's actually the way I'm sitting. I keep leaning to that side--stopping that now to see what happens. :unsure:
 
I’ve been using small pillow to keep me from listing to the right. Maybe something similar between you and arm of chair?
 
Last edited:
Poor Hipster, it is a trying time for mates when one is recovering from surgery. We have been on both ends throughout our long time together. You have it so much more difficult since you have kids in the home...can't imagine. Must be harder for the men being caregivers, I don't think they were designed for that. Best we can do to improve the situation is say please and thank you alot! :) Then "vent" with our girlfriends.:heehee:
 
That’s a great idea @MamaT! I’ll give it a try. :) @Bumblebee you’re so funny! You’re right though. I feel like I’m always asking somebody to do something for me and it’s frustrating. I do keep my p’s and q’s though. ;)
 
The pain in my side is worse so we’re at the hospital right now. So far they’ve ruled out my heart (didn’t think it was that anyways) and I’ve been told my incision looks lovely. It may be a long night. :(
 
Aww, I'm so sorry!
You already knew your incision looked good. Did you say "Tell me something I don't already know?" :heehee:
Trying to add some levity......

I'll bet you end up hearing a reasonable explanation for the pain. Prayers going up anyway :prayer:
Keep us posted when you're able.
Big hugs!
@hipster333
 
Hope you're home by now and not still sitting there! Hopefully they decide it's nothing to worry about. Sometimes it seems like it takes so much longer for a "nothing wrong" diagnosis because they keep going to rule everything out. Try to get some rest!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom