THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh and @DeepBreath I forgot to mention that USPS.com has some adorable Charlie Brown Christmas stamps available online this year......they are super cute! I bought a book of them to use on my Christmas cards this year. :yes:
 
Ooh...how cute. I want to get some of those. I love the Peanuts gang, too. You sound like you're doing great, @Hipster Girl. I wonder if you called the massage place and explained what happened if they would give you an extension? Your son sounds so sweet. It does take a while to be able to lay on your stomach.

Wow, you're back to work really soon. That's exciting. I remember you saying that you really love your job. I feel much better when I do my hair, too. I use henna at home, and I have to leave it on for four hours to cover the grey! It really makes a difference, though. All those little details in grooming...

Glad to hear you were able to get out on Black Friday. I did a little bit of shopping, too. All of those trips are little milestones...
 
@Hipster Girl, I agree 100% about the BMI index. It never really works to try to lump people into one group depending on numbers. Individual factors must be taken into consideration.

Big smile about all the massage gift certificates. I guess you will be on the receiving end of plenty of massages this year. :) Do they generally do standard massage or can you get, say, foot or hand or scalp massages?
That was thoughtful of your son!

LOL re: the alarms. Sometimes the snooze alarm is our best friend and other times our worst enemy. I know you'll do just great. Do you feel ready to go back? Sending tons of good vibes for that milestone.

Yaay for you getting your hair done! It always helps to look sharp and sassy when you are gearing up for a change. It is so interesting that you mentioned the growth slowing down. I usually have to color my hair once every six weeks. I colored mine last week and it had been about 8 weeks since the last time and it wasn't nearly as grown out as it usually would be. Hmmm....

Have a great day, Hipster!
 
@Hipster Girl, I don't see the problem with using 12 massage vouchers in 12 months. I am dying to get back to Asia so I can have cheap massages again. I usually have a 2 hr massage about every 2 weeks!


RTHR 25 November 2015

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am very happy I got my hair done today. I usually like to go a little darker for winter but I went with blonde highlights today and it provided a nice lift to my mood. My hairdresser is the sweetest lady ever. I told her about my job situation and she offered to check with her husband to see if there are any openings at his company. I doubt there are, but it's still nice to have people willing to check since lots of jobs are found via networking these days.

@Hip Hip Hooray! that is so interesting that you use henna to color your hair - how does that work? Do you have to mix it with anything to make it certain colors or is the 4 hours required to make it turn a certain color? It sounds like such a natural way to do it.

@DeepBreath and @Hip Hip Hooray! yes, it was a sweet gesture from my son on the gift certificates but it was my credit card, he was just doing the legwork, haha

I think they probably do offer various types of massages but what I think I might do is combine two at a time and go for 2 hours when I do go. Granted, that is a long time, but they offer them either for 60, 90, or 120 minutes. I think 60 minutes is a little short when you factor in changing time, and 120 is probably too long, and 90 about perfect. I went for my last massage the week before my first surgery so I am definitely overdue and my muscles are very tense and achy so I will have to check with the surgeon's office to see when it will be okay for me to go since those tables aren't the easiest things to get on & off of, and I can't yet turn onto my stomach. @shiv01 wow, a 2 hour massage every 2 weeks is a lot! I bet you would make great use of these gift certificates! :yes:

@DeepBreath no, I really don't feel completely ready to go back to work. I wish I had been able to take one more week off but the FMLA really dictated when I have to go back. I will be fine, it will just take some adjusting. I am soooo glad I am doing a phased return and only working part-time for the first couple weeks. This will help ease me back into the routine. I should be home on Monday around noon and will probably be ready for some :ice:and a nap! :sleep:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'll be sending good thoughts out for you as you return to work. It's great you are going to do part time for a couple of weeks.
It's also great that your hair dresser is going to ask her husband about job openings. You never know. Sometimes it's who you know rather than what you know. I'll be keeping you in my prayers as you navigate this.
The blonde highlights sound lovely, by the way. :)
I hope you've enjoyed your day. :flwrysmile:
 
Why don't you place one of those alarm clocks across the room. That way you have to get up to turn it off. Just don't rush to do it and hurt yourself though. Maybe make it the last alarm just in case you dose off again when you press the snooze button on the other clocks.
 
Thanks so much for the prayers on my job situation @DeepBreath - they are needed and appreciated! I admit I am very nervous about being in this situation and the fear of the unknown.

As much as I'm glad I am still getting a steady paycheck for now, I'm not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow since I know it is now only a temporary situation and I only have a couple months before I am out of a job. Now, instead of getting caught up and refocusing and getting settled back into a work routine, we will be busy getting things ready for the move. I hope they realize I cannot be stooping and bending and lifting heavy boxes of files.

@Grannyhippy that is a good idea on the alarm clocks. I have actually used that technique before and you're right, it is effective because you have no choice but to get up to turn it off.

I did better getting up today. I knew I did not want to waste my last day of being off work by sleeping it away. I will shower tonight so I don't have to do it in the morning since I know getting ready is going to take me longer in my condition. I'll figure out what I'm going to wear and get my clothes laid out. I bought some comfy flat shoes online since I don't think heels of any height are a good idea right now. I have been wearing the new shoes around the house trying to break them in.

I haven't worn makeup in nearly 3 months so I am kind of looking forward to wearing it tomorrow and finally looking presentable again. I didn't see any need to wear it when I was housebound or at the hospital or rehab. There were a couple older ladies in rehab who would do their hair and put makeup on every morning before PT but I didn't see the point. That would have taken waaaay too much energy for me - energy that I just didn't have.

I hope everyone is having a good healing day today! :SUNsmile:
 
Well, I decided to schedule the first of my many massages for today. My neck and shoulders have so much tension in them and I have been having a very difficult time relaxing enough to sleep through the night. I think between the two surgeries and the upcoming loss of my job, my muscles are just really tight and tense.

So I called the massage place and they have an opening at 11:30 this morning for a one-hour massage. Since I can't lay on my stomach yet, I will just ask them to accommodate me. Usually when they do the neck and shoulders, I am on my back anyway, so I will just ask them to do the neck and shoulders today, not my back. I am sooo looking forward to getting rid of some of this tension. :)
 
That's great, @Hipster Girl. It sounds like you're under a lot of stress. I'm glad you're going to go get a massage. I hope that they don't expect too much of you at work. The lifting boxes wouldn't be good, as you said.

Your hair sounds really pretty. I feel so much better with hair and make-up. I guess it's from being a performer. I use a combination of red, black, and brown henna. I mix it with hot water or hibiscus tea. (I used to use coffee for color, but it gave me a headache!) Your body absorbs it through the scalp. The only reason I have to leave it on for four hours is because I have a lot of grey. When I was younger, I could just leave it on for about an hour. It's nice, though. Henna is a plant, so it's natural. I get a lot of compliments on it, too. It gives pretty highlights. It's kind of messy, though.

It's nice that you have people recommending you for work. That helps so much. I'm sure you will attract a new job very soon. Good luck tomorrow!
 
The henna sounds like a wonderfully natural way to color. What a neat idea! I am sure that is much better for your hair than the chemicals that are in most hair color. Four hours is a long time so I bet that requires a lot of patience. I am sorely lacking in the patience department but am working on it, haha

The massage was heavenly! I feel so much better. The massage therapist was able to work on my neck and shoulders, and even my back to some degree, while I laid on my back (with the blanket covering me of course) so I did not have to roll over onto my stomach. I just mentioned my situation from the get-go so there would be no miscommunication and I was easily accommodated. He commented on how tense I was, and I said I just had two back-to-back hip surgeries and am also losing my job. He was like "well no wonder then!"

Now I'm drinking lots of water to try to flush out the toxins.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl, of course you're tense over the job situation. Who wouldn't be? I hope the massage helped with the muscle tension and that you're feeling better.
Please take care of yourself first and foremost as you go back to work. There are other people who can lift heavy things and bend. Your first priority is you. :)
 
My first day back to work went well. It actually felt good to fix my hair and put make-up on again. It was so nice to see everyone even though lots of people were still out on an extended holiday weekend. I didn't get a whole lot done today since I had people coming up and welcoming me back all morning. I had some beautiful "welcome back" flowers waiting for me on my desk when I came in.

Although I didn't get much work done today being on a part-time schedule, it still tired me out. I came home, did my PT exercises, had some lunch, got cleaned up, and I have my PJs on already. I will be going to bed very early tonight so I can do this again tomorrow. Hoping for a more productive day tomorrow.
 
Aaw..that's great. I'm glad things went so well. How nice that they had flowers for you. That's so thoughtful. You sound very organized and productive. How do your hips feel?

Have a great day at work tomorrow!
 
Thanks @Hip Hip Hooray! My hips feel pretty good - no pain today. I was actually more concerned with my feet today because they are still somewhat swollen - not a lot but enough that it makes my shoes snug. I have been trying to break in a new pair but didn't want to chance it today and end up with my feet hurting , so I wore an old pair even though they are slip-ons with no back. I have been walking slowly and methodically anyway so I wasn't worried about them slipping off. I don't know why I still have the swelling. It's not a lot of swelling but it doesn't take a lot to make a new pair of shoes hurt and I didn't want to deal with that on my first day back.

Yes, the flowers were so sweet! I work with some really wonderful people. I was getting kind of sad driving in to the office because it is now just a temporary situation until the move, and I'm getting nostalgic. It's sad seeing so many of my co-workers' lives disrupted with these corporate decisions but of course there is nothing we can do about it so we just have to roll with it and hope we find something even better on the other side of this. I'm trying not to stress about it too much now, and will focus more attention on what's next after the holidays. Hoping 2016 will be a great year for all of us Hippies!
 
That is so nice that your work colleagues welcomed you back with a beautiful bunch of flowers. It shows they appreciate what you do and that they missed you. I am glad that your first day back worked out well for you and that you did not end up too tired or stressed out again. You don't want to undo the good that massage did for you.
 
@Hipster Girl, I was thinking of you this morning and sending good thoughts your way as you went back to work.
I'm glad your coworkers had flowers there for you. I'm sure they're thrilled to have you back.
Good for you for taking good care of yourself and planning to get plenty of rest.
I hope the swelling in your feet goes down. That happens to me randomly. I generally chalk it up to hormones.
My good wishes go with you tomorrow.
Take care. :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @Grannyhippy and @DeepBreath , today was another good day. The only issue I'm really having now is that I haven't seen everyone in so long and so there are people continually stopping by to say hello and chat for awhile and so it is very hard to get any work done, especially since I am only there a few hours a day for now. I love seeing everyone but I need for all the visiting to taper off so I can start being productive.

I wore my new shoes today with no problems. I actually did a search online for ways to stretch shoes and there was one technique where you fill a baggie 1/3 of the way with water, stuff it inside the shoe, then stick the shoe in the freezer and freeze it, then afterwards, you take it out and thaw it for 20-30 minutes, then remove the baggie. This method worked like a charm! The ice stretched it very nicely. Whodathunkit?? :tada:
 
I've also heard of that method of stretching shoes. I tried that many years ago. Yes it does work.

Hopefully by the end of the week things will die down a bit at work and you can settle in better. I am sure they are just curious about what has happened to you and how you are coping now.
 
@Hipster Girl, just popping in to say 'Hi' and see how you're doing. How is work going? Are your delighted co-workers giving you a bit more time to accomplish your tasks? :wink:
I hope all is good. :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom