THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning @Hipster Girl! Yes, I've been going to PT for the IT band and bursitis issues and are quickly resolving themselves. I've been using the tennis ball technique to decrease the knots in the IT band and I also use Voltaren gel on my hip, that my OS prescribed, which is actually helping more than the PT, I think. But I'm continuing with the PT, simply because I love the workout I'm getting and I'm building up my core and leg strength. I can already see that the waffle look in my thighs is diminishing. Yahoo!
I was never one who did a lot of bending when I bowled, anyway, so I didn't really need to adjust my technique. And bowling and golfing are 2 of the activities that are deemed acceptable to resume, after THR. The biggest problem I had when I first started back bowling was trusting that my hip was strong and stable enough. Once I realized it is strong and can handle it, I've been doing much better, score-wise. I'm hoping to get even better as each week passes.
When my OS released me from my restrictions, he did mention that I should still be cautious about crossing my legs. To be honest, I can't remember if he said forever or just for the near future. But since I've totally gotten out of the habit of doing it, I don't have a problem with continuing with that no-no. I'll find out more when I go back to see him on the 7th of December.
Hope you have a great day!
 
@Hipster Girl, you are so right about the FMLA and insurance. They do not take into account the individual factor.
I am SO glad your balance due is 0! That's as it should be. :)
I'm also looking forward to getting back to my exercise routine and getting fit. I haven't been near a scale since my internal medicine appt during pre op for this first hip, so I don't know where I am weight wise. I have been eating better and my appetite has mellowed out a lot. We'll see. :)

Enjoy your weekend, friend. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Nana757 that is great that you have not had to alter your bowling technique and that your scores are getting better. It must be an amazing feeling of "normalcy". Even if my hips were 100%, I still would never be a good bowler.....the highest score I ever got was about 140 but I actually average closer to 100, haha I still really enjoy it though just for fun. I am one of those bowlers that frequently gets those annoying splits. I'm also very inconsistent and will get either a strike or a gutter ball :snork:

You got me curious about the Voltaren gel and the tennis ball technique so I looked them up. Even with reading the description I don't completely understand the tennis ball technique but I am glad it is helping you. If I do any outpatient PT, it is going to have to be in December because when I was making my benefits selections for 2016, I opted for the first time ever for a high deductible plan instead of the PPO I usually sign up for. My home PT had told me she thought I could just go to the gym instead of doing outpatient PT since I'm not having any issues. I hope I made the right choice. I wanted the substantially lower premiums that come with the high deductible plan since I will be out of a job.

@DeepBreath I noticed my appetite has decreased with my surgeries also. It's the strangest thing. Initially after each surgery I was almost having to force myself to eat because I know my body needs it for the nutrients but honestly nothing sounded appetizing, not even nachos which is my favorite food. I'm still not sure the reason for that; I hope to remember to ask at my post-op appointment tomorrow. Hope you are having a relaxing pre-op day! :)
 
@Hipster Girl - Just read your comment about not having an appetite after surgeries. I found it strange that I was in serious pain from December until the end of March and could only bear weight for about 25 minutes ( and that was with tylenol) so I sat and sat but I never gained a pound. After the surgery on March 23 I was finally able to get active and suddenly I was gaining weight adding ten unwanted pounds. I finally came to the conclusion that it was because it was too painful to go to the cupboard and my husband was doing the shopping and not bringing home the crackers and carbs that I love. I always had an appetite though. Maybe it is the medication you are on that is ruining your appetite?
I love nachos too! :cheers:
 
Happy Sunday to you @Hipster Girl! Hope you are having a great day. It's raining and windy here, so we'll be curled up all day watching football and golf. The Voltaren gel is an RX that I spread over the area of my bursitis. I've also tried it on my knees, when they ache. One of the OS's in the practice, where I go, swears by it. That was good enough for me. My PT gal showed me how to use the tennis ball. Basically, you just roll it over your sore area, with pressure. And when you find a "knot", hold the ball on that spot with even more pressure, until you feel the knot dissipating. It'll hurt, but it works.
My bowling average started suffering last January/February when my hip began to cause me problems. I used to bowl consistently 165 or better with a 200+ game thrown in every now and then. But, my average dropped to the low 100's and sometimes less, since my hip issue. Last week, I bowled 3 150+ games, so it would seem, I'm getting back to where I once was...but only time will tell. I'm just happy to be able to contribute, rather than hinder my team.
You and @DeepBreath were talking about appetites. I lost about 10lbs prior to my surgery because I had major dental work done and couldn't eat, even if wanted to. Soup and cottage cheese were my food of choice for several days, after each procedure. But, the first thing I looked forward to following my hip surgery was eating everything in sight. And I haven't stopped, since. The good news is, I've only gained 5 lbs back. But, I suspect, once my muscles start getting built back up, I'll see an increase in weight, again. But, that's a good thing, I say. Oh, BTW, Mexican food is my favorite cuisine, followed by Sushi!
:yes!:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl, hmmm...Granny Di has a good point. Perhaps it is the medication that is tamping down our appetites. It took me a good 4 weeks to feel really 'hungry' after this surgery rather than just thinking, "I have to eat for fuel"...sooo not like me!
Like @Nana757, I had a lot of dental work in the months leading up to my surgery which contributed to weight loss.
Nana, WOOT about your improving bowling scores! You GO, Girl! :yes!:

I have my pre op tomorrow and will add the appetite question to my list. :)
Oh, and Mmmm...NACHOS!! Yum!
 
On the appetite thing, I'm not taking any medications but having to be on this walker with only 50% weight bearing makes doing anything kind of a hassle, including getting something to eat so I find myself thinking it's just too much effort & then don't eat. Using the walker tray is cumbersome and makes it harder to partially weight bear when using it. Plus I think everything going on with my job - I know some people tend to overeat when they are upset but I do the opposite and can't eat much when I am upset or worried. I suspect my appetite will start to come back when I go back to work and feel a little more in control of things. Cottage cheese actually sounds really good though. There was a tray I got in the hospital that was tuna salad, cottage cheese, and a fresh fruit parfait - it was so yummy & nutritious and I ate every bit of it. I remember when I ate it thinking those were exactly the nutrients my body was craving.

@Nana757 thanks for the info on the Voltaren and the tennis ball technique. I will try to remember to ask about the tennis ball at my post-op appointment today just in case I should need that for future reference. My list of questions is growing by the minute but if I forget to ask something, I still have my 2-month post-op next month.

Your bowling scores are impressive! Do you bowl competitively or on a league? We had a bowling team at work that I had signed up for but did not make the team as they only selected the top bowlers since it was a competition for charity, so I resigned myself to just cheering them on, which actually fits me better anyway because I was a cheerleader in high school. :)
@DeepBreath hope everything goes great at your pre-op today - sending good vibes your way! :flwrysmile:
 
I was thinking the same thing about your work situation. It's very stressful when you don't have job security. I tend to lose weight when I'm upset or anxious, too. I'm sure you will attract an excellent new job. Not limping at interviews makes such a difference! I had my first job offer in three years last week. I really feel it was due to the surgery. I feel 30 years younger.

The meal with the tuna salad, fruit parfait, and cottage cheese sounds really healthy. I just made a tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch. It really hit the spot. Take care of yourself.
 
@DeepBreath glad all went well today! Take care my friend. You got this and we are all here cheering you on! :thumb:

@Hip Hip Hooray! so happy to hear you got a job offer! Is it a position you want? Do you think you will accept? I definitely agree on the not limping on job interviews making a big difference. I was surprised how many nursing staff and rehab assistants were shocked by my age - most of them commented that they thought I was 20 years younger than I am. Now that my hips are fixed, I won't have a face that looks 20 years younger while my hips look 20-30 years older. I am excited about that!

My post op appointment today went very well. The x-rays looked good and the bone is adhering nicely. I have been cleared to drive and released to go back to work part time next Monday for two weeks before resuming full time work. The only thing that was a little disappointing is I asked if I could go to the gym and start weight machines and cardio equipment and was told "not yet", not until my next appointment in 4 weeks. Until then, I am to continue the PT exercises twice a day, and this, coupled with going back to work, will be enough activity for now. Oh, and I am allowed weight bearing as tolerated now, and can use the cane and ditch the walker... woot!!! I also mailed back the DVT calf pump machine today since it was a rental so I am free of that as well! All in all, a great day! :SUNsmile:
 
@DeepBreath glad all went well today! Take care my friend. You got this and we are all here cheering you on! :thumb:

@Hip Hip Hooray! so happy to hear you got a job offer! Thank you! Is it a position you want? Yes. Do you think you will accept? Yes. It's for a part in the show Menopause, the Musical. I wrote about it on my thread. It would be a wonderful opportunity. I definitely agree on the not limping on job interviews making a big difference. I was surprised how many nursing staff and rehab assistants were shocked by my age - most of them commented that they thought I was 20 years younger than I am. Now that my hips are fixed, I won't have a face that looks 20 years younger while my hips look 20-30 years older. I am excited about that! That's great that you look so young. I told my surgeon that I feel thirty years younger since having the surgery. He answered, "I wish I could feel thirty years younger." He has a great sense of humor.

My post op appointment today went very well. The x-rays looked good and the bone is adhering nicely. Fantastic! I have been cleared to drive and released to go back to work part time next Monday for two weeks before resuming full time work. The only thing that was a little disappointing is I asked if I could go to the gym and start weight machines and cardio equipment and was told "not yet", not until my next appointment in 4 weeks. Until then, I am to continue the PT exercises twice a day, and this, coupled with going back to work, will be enough activity for now. Oh, and I am allowed weight bearing as tolerated now, and can use the cane and ditch the walker... woot!!! I also mailed back the DVT calf pump machine today since it was a rental so I am free of that as well! All in all, a great day! :SUNsmile:
You sound so positive. I'm really happy for you. Things will keep getting better.
 
Thanks @Hip Hip Hooray! I do feel positive and the post-op blues for the most part have dissipated and I'm in a much better place emotionally than I was the first couple weeks. I am glad that passed quickly. :SUNsmile:

Yesterday I wanted to get out of the house and drive a little bit and run an errand just to see how I would do. The car transfer is so much easier now since my newly operated hip is the left one. I didn't take my walker, only my cane, and just used the shopping cart for support. My left hip held up very well but I was having pain on my right side which I'm 11 weeks out so this took me by surprise.

I am not sure but I think the issue is my gait pattern. I am trying to walk slowly and deliberately to retrain my gait but I find I still lean a little when taking a step - I think from years of trying to keep weight off my right hip since that was always the worst one. I wonder if I might need outpatient therapy to retrain my gait pattern. I will probably give the PT at my surgeon's office a call next week to see what she says.

I missed your post somehow about the job you applied for. I haven't been getting any alerts for your thread so I will have to look it up. I didn't know you had applied for a part in the show Menopause! That show was in town a couple months ago and I saw an advertisement for it and I thought it looked hilarious! I am at that stage of life myself so I can relate to so much with the moodiness, hot flashes, etc. Several of my friends and I who are all around the same age are always joking about this stage of life so I was trying to get them to go see it with me but it didn't work out with everyone's schedule. If it comes back to town and you are in it, I will have to make a point to go see it....that sounds like such a fun show!
:wave:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
hello @Hipster Girl !! I have been quite the absent Bonesmarty lately.. So am catching up on my reading. :)
you sound like you are doing very well and I agree with your statement about having so much to be thankful for at the Thanksgiving table this year.

Muscles vs. flab.. the area that shocked me the most? My arms!!! I'm sure partly because of my neck issues but most of it is because I didn't work for 7 weeks.. nothing tones your arms like giving a massage can.. lol.
They are beginning to bounce back but the poor thigh muscles have a way to go still. :nah:
So, can you tell me about how your body composition scale works? I have always wondered if they are accurate and worth buying, can you tell me the brand that you have??
Re: your recovery, you are still under 4 weeks! You are doing so very well and that makes me happy.. :flwrysmile:
 
@CricketHip massage therapy is hard work and I can definitely see how it would keep your arms toned.
I'm sure you will be back to your pre-surgery muscle tone in no time. I hear ya on the thighs though - I was hoping for the green light to go to the gym so I can start doing some leg exercises but was told not until my next appointment at the end of December. The weight machines are great for toning and my body is craving it.

The body composition monitor that I have is a Tanita - I bought it several years ago on Amazon but you can also check them out on tanita.com, just make sure you look at the consumer models, not professional models because the professional ones get up into the thousands of dollars. The one I have is the BC-533, it is on sale right now for $89.99 which is a GREAT price.

How it works is you step on it just like a regular scale but you have to be barefoot or it won't work. The machine will send a harmless signal through your body which determines what is fat, what is muscle, what is water, bone, etc. using Bioelectric Impedance Analysis. One word of caution is these scales should not be used by anyone with a pacemaker because the signal could interfere with it.

I have found the scale to be very accurate and gives a much clearer picture of my overall shape, much more so than just my weight. A person can weigh a lot but be in great shape (think bodybuilders, athletes) and someone can weigh much less and yet be in poor shape (high fat percentage) because muscle weighs more than fat.

I keep a log (I am weird that way) and I can see where when my fat percentage has gone down, my muscle has gone up, and vice versa. It also accurately shows my water % go up whenever I am bloated.

I stepped on the scale today and my fat percentage is not where I want it to be. I don't care about the pounds but I would like to drop about 7 percentage points of fat to get to where I need to be to feel my absolute best. That will come when I can start working out with weight machines at the gym again. That is essential for me but I just have to be patient.

Oh...another couple fun things the body composition monitor will tell you is your biological age (which is a great indicator of what kind of shape you are in) and also the Daily Caloric number which is the number of calories you can consume at your current composition in order to maintain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Hipster Girl, Yes, women our age can really relate to the show. I enjoyed it. It looks like fun. It also seems like it would be very easy on the hips, which makes me feel comfortable. The director was very nice and open. He knows a lot of the directors that I've worked with, and he treated me like I was an old friend. It was really nice.

I know what you mean about getting antsy about working out at the gym. I really enjoy the machines. I was off for four weeks, and it felt like a really long time. I think it's wise that you are waiting, though. The more healed you are, the better. I think for some of us, exercise is a need. I feel so much more balanced when I work out.
 
I am glad the director was friendly and easy to talk to @Hip Hip Hooray! It makes it so much easier to work with people who are nice and down-to-earth. It's also good that he knows a lot of the directors you have worked with. Small world, sounds like.

I feel the same way you do about exercise - to me it is as much a part of my daily routine as brushing my teeth or combing my hair - it's just something I have always done and don't even think twice about it - that's what makes it hard right now but I know I will be back at it soon.

Well everybody, I conquered Black Friday today! It wasn't planned at all, it just kind of happened. I had a coupon and went to use it and before I knew it, I saw some really good deals on clothing so I grabbed 8 or 9 sweaters and stood in line. There were no carts available so I had them all draped over my arm and my cane in the other hand, and my purse. The line was wrapped clear around to the back of the store so it was about a 40 minute wait until I finally got to the register. My legs are tired but I was able to stand in line all that time without any pain! I can remember when it used to hurt so much I would have to grab onto something to support myself as I waited, but today there was none of that and it put a great big smile on my face!

I did have to use the restroom while I was out and wouldn't you know it, the one & only handicapped stall was out of order so I had to use the teensy tiny regular stall. I couldn't get all the way down so I squatted. That is probably too much information, ha, but this is something all of us ladies are going to face when we are in public. I was also amazed at how heavy some doors are and hard to open while juggling a purse, a cane, and shopping bags. I have been housebound for almost all my recovery so these are new challenges I'm facing as I go back out and have kind of taken me by surprise. It makes me wonder how elderly people do it. It certainly gives me a different perspective. Oh, and I was soooo glad to be able to park in handicapped on Black Friday - the parking lots were packed so I have to say I was very glad to have that handicapped placard, otherwise I would have had to walk a mile to get to the stores!

Hope everyone is having a great day & recovering from eating too much on Thanksgiving! :wink:
 
@Hipster Girl, that is really interesting about your body composition monitor. I can see where that would be hugely helpful where overall health is concerned. I don't like using a weight scale. I am short, but solid...always have been. Even when I am at my optimum clothing size, where I feel and look my best, that number on the scale displeases me. I like the thought of taking all those factors you mentioned into account.

Hooray for you conquering Black Friday!! It tickled me pink to read that you were able to do all of that so soon after your last surgery. Way to go, friend! That is really the goal, isn't it? To get back to a functional, normal life.

I hope you enjoy your weekend, friend. :)
 
Exactly @DeepBreath regular scales don't tell the whole story. That's why I don't like the BMI method either - it will show athletes as overweight or obese when in reality they are fit and muscular.

Well, I have been setting my alarm to practice getting up early for work since I go back on Monday (yikes!) and apparently I have been hitting the snooze button over and over, and end up getting up 2 hours later than planned. I have 3 alarms so I will have to set them all to make sure I don't oversleep on my first day back to work - that would NOT be good, ha

There is a massage place that I go to that always has a fantastic Black Friday sale and I bought 6 gift certificates yesterday (their limit) like I do every year. Well, my son didn't know I did that and he tried to do me a favor and he bought 6 more on his way home yesterday, thinking he was doing me a favor, so now I have 12 gift certificates, all good for a one-hour massage, but they expire 12/31/16. What a problem to have, right? The issue is I can't even lay on my stomach right now and I'm not sure when I will be able to do that. Hopefully soon! I could give some of these away as Christmas gifts but I already finished all my Christmas shopping. I usually go for a massage every 2 months but I guess in 2016 I will be going A LOT! Like I said, what a problem to have, haha

Also in preparation for going back to work, I am leaving soon to get my hair highlighted today. It's been 12 weeks but surprisingly it doesn't need it quite yet....maybe the growth has slowed from the surgeries?? In any event, I already had it scheduled so I am going. It is always a mood booster so I always feel much fresher when I get it done. Hope everyone is having a great day!
:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom