THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hip Hip Hooray! I totally get where you are coming from about wanting to take care of your new hips so that they last. I think you and I are close to the same age and I know I do not want to have a revision in 20 or so years if I can avoid it. I never want to go through this again. Exactly. If possible, I'd like this set to last me the rest of my life. None of us know how long we are going to live, but I am just not willing to take chances. My grandma had both of her hips replaced when she was in her fifties, and hers lasted until she passed away. My grandmother on my mom's side had both of her knees replaced, and those worked for her until she died in her early nineties! She said the Aqua classes were what helped her the most. I know ballet dancers and teachers who are having revisions in their seventies. It kind of turns my stomach. I respect their choice, but I really don't want to follow down that path. My passion used to be running. There is nothing that relieves stress and releases the endorphins like going for a good run, but my running days are officially behind me now as the OS says any jackhammer type motion like that is out for life.Yeah, I know what you mean about the endorphins. I loved that feeling after a dance class, too. I wonder if tap dancing is jackhammer type motion? I tried a couple of minutes of it in the kitchen the other day, and it made my left glut muscle tense up. It released when I backed off for a day or two.

I'm happy to hear your range of motion is improving lately. Are you doing any outpatient PT or are you just going to the gym and doing regular workouts? I hope you can return to dance some day in some capacity. Did I read that you were a Rockette? Not sure if I spelled that right. In rehab, they would tell us to kick our legs like we were a Rockette, haha Thanks. No, I'm not doing any outpatient PT. I taught yoga for 30 years, and have helped people heal injuries, so I felt I could do what I needed on my own. I still do the basic PT exercises that I learned in the hospital. For some reason, my intuition keeps telling me that the housework and yardwork I do is ideal physical therapy. I do find that my ROM is improving without effort or stretching. It just comes back unexpectedly. It feels very organic and heathy to just let the body heal in its own time. I am going to the gym again. I'm doing the routine I devised before my surgery. It really helped me. I also bike and walk around my neighborhood. Oh, and yes, I was a Rockette. I won't be doing that anymore...

On the bone thing, I can understand wanting to see the old ones. My surgeon actually took a glossy photo each time of the old diseased hip alongside the parts of the new hip, and he gave these to me to keep in the hospital. On the right one, there is some fleshy thing hanging off the hip that I don't know what it is, I plan to take it back to my post-op visit and ask him. I think it must be a muscle or tendon or something. I like having the photos; it's like still having my old hips with me, as weird as that sounds.[/QUOTE]How nice of your surgeon! That doesn't sound weird to me at all. It's a part of you. It's not natural to have a part of your body removed.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! wow, both your grandmothers had amazing longevity with their joint replacements - that is really good to hear! I too have heard that aqua workouts are great for the joints - I may need to look into that. I'm not real fond of water workouts because truthfully it seems like such a hassle driving to the pool, getting dressed & changed into & out of a swimsuit, getting dried off, bringing all the wet clothes inside to wash, etc. I like to throw on a pair of shorts & a t-shirt, workout, then shower. The swimming pool thing just seems like a huge hassle to me but admittedly I have never tried it.

On the tap dancing, I would listen to your body as you have done. If it causes any discomfort I would err on the side of caution at this point and wouldn't do it. That is incredible that you were a Rockette - wow! What an exciting job that must have been for you to perform like that!

It must be very encouraging to feel your ROM improving even without effort or stretching. I hope I get to that point. I do agree that yardwork and housework is plenty of PT all in itself.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! wow, both your grandmothers had amazing longevity with their joint replacements - that is really good to hear! Yes, they were both retired and lived fairly sedentary lives. People are so different now compared to the ones I knew back then...I can't imagine my grandmothers or aunts hiking, biking, or going to the gym like I do. (especially after 50.) I too have heard that aqua workouts are great for the joints - I may need to look into that. I'm not real fond of water workouts because truthfully it seems like such a hassle driving to the pool, getting dressed & changed into & out of a swimsuit, getting dried off, bringing all the wet clothes inside to wash, etc. I like to throw on a pair of shorts & a t-shirt, workout, then shower. The swimming pool thing just seems like a huge hassle to me but admittedly I have never tried it. I felt that way at first...but now I like the routine. It's become habit. I really love the feeling I get from taking a jacuzzi and sauna. I'm real big on hydrotherapy. It's really helped my hips, before and after the surgery. I like working out your way, too. I alternate.

On the tap dancing, I would listen to your body as you have done. If it causes any discomfort I would err on the side of caution at this point and wouldn't do it. That is incredible that you were a Rockette - wow! What an exciting job that must have been for you to perform like that! I did a little more tap dancing this morning, and my muscles feel fine. I think they had just gotten weak. Yes, I loved performing. I did a lot of tap shows and toured the world. It was a wonderful experience.

It must be very encouraging to feel your ROM improving even without effort or stretching. I hope I get to that point. I do agree that yardwork and housework is plenty of PT all in itself.
That's been a real lesson for me. I'm shocked at how my leg will just drop open now. It's almost like fruit dropping from the tree when it's ripe. I think we try to rush healing sometimes. (at least I did.) I'm starting to see that it's just another cycle of nature.

@DeepBreath, Thanks. It was exciting.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! you make a good point about previous generations being more sedentary. I think for "hippies" our age who are trying to avoid revisions later in life, there has to be a balance. We don't want to "save" our hips too much or we are defeating part of the reason we had the surgery which is to get our lives back, but at the same time, we don't want to wear them out. I think it's key to try to find a balance that works with our individual lifestyles and activities we enjoy.

You have me really contemplating the hydrotherapy. I actually have a jacuzzi tub in my master bath that I haven't used in years. I couldn't get in in right now with my precautions, but maybe once those are lifted, I will give that a try and see how it goes. I think I'd prefer it in the comfort of my own home when I can just get out of the tub and throw on a bathrobe. Again, I just can't get over the hassle aspect of going to the pool but maybe that will change, especially if I see the water is helping my hips.

Happy to hear you were able to tap dance with no pain and I too love your analogy about the fruit dropping from the tree! I am excited to think that will soon be happening for me as well if I am just patient and give it time. :flwrysmile:
 
@Hipster Girl, I agree, we have to find a balance. I tend to go go go...so I have to stop myself and wait to finish my tasks until tomorrow or later in the week. I get on a roll...

How nice that you have a jacuzzi in your home. The one at our gym has really strong jets. I think it gives me a massage effect. They're remodeling at our gym, so the pool and jacuzzi won't be open until next Sat. Even though I'm taking baths at home, I really miss the jacuzzi. It was so therapeutic. (especially in combination with the icing.)

I had another breakthrough last night doing yoga. I'm almost at the three month mark. It will happen for you, too. It's kind of like babies. They all end up walking, but not at the same age. It just happens.
 
I am at 3 weeks today on my second hip and starting at week 2 have seen improvements day to day. One thing that dawned on me yesterday - and I can't believe this didn't occur to me earlier - is how I am not having any arthritic pain with the cold, damp, rainy weather. I used to suffer immensely in the colder months and any time it rained. That is all gone now and I just rejoice over that!! Woo hoo!! :happydance:
 
Yaay for those improvements! :yay:
And another Yaay for not having nagging pain during cold weather...there are so many silver linings. :flwrysmile:
 
Yesterday was "graduation day" as I had my last home PT session. The last couple times the therapist was using some resistance and it felt so good to get those muscles working again in the quads and hamstrings. The leg extensions and hamstring curls are exercises I used to do in the gym all the time so I am excited about the prospect of getting back to the gym soon. I went into these surgeries fit but have lost strength and muscle tone during the recoveries so I am ready to get them back.

I have my post-op appointment with the surgeon on Monday. Can't believe it is here already! Hoping to be released to drive and go back to work, and finally get off the walker onto the cane and full weight bearing status. That will give me lots to be grateful for on Thanksgiving, as if I don't have enough already, that will just be icing on the cake!
Hope all my fellow hippies are having a fabulous day! :flwrysmile:
 
That is wonderful news @Hipster Girl! Keep up the great work and I hope you get released to drive! But I wouldn't count on being released for work, quite yet. If you are just now transitioning from walker to cane and weight bearing, it might be too soon to return to work. You are still recovering and probably haven't regained all your energy yet, which sometimes takes months. Hate to be a Debbie-downer, but I sure wouldn't rush into getting back to work. Good luck, though!
 
Thanks @Nana757! How are you doing? Still bowling and golfing? I loved your "deforestation" reference in @DeepBreath's thread by the way - I still chuckle over that :heehee:

You are right and I have definitely not regained my energy yet. In all honesty, I would like to take an additional couple weeks off work but my FMLA is about to expire so I am going to plead with my doctor to let me go back to work but on shortened workdays. He usually recommends a phased return anyway so I would only be working half days to start, which would allow me a little time to rebuild my strength and stamina.

The company I work for is making a lot of cuts right now so I am afraid to go past the FMLA end date because then the company can just get rid of you and tell you not to bother coming back after disability. I already am going to be out of a job in a few months due to relocation but I want to make sure I at least have my job until the relocation happens. With the holidays coming up, I am fortunate that there are some built-in short weeks coming up which will help me ease the transition back to work.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on 'Graduation Day' @Hipster Girl. Fingers crossed that you get that driving clearance and I hope you'll be able to go back to work as soon as it's okay for you to do so.
I hear you about not wanting to be shown the door simply because you need time to heal. Prayers flowing that it all works out, hippie friend.
Have a terrific weekend. :flwrysmile:
 
I'm doing great...thanks for asking. I can't believe that I will be having my 4th month anniversary on the 30th. Except for minor bursitis and IT band aches, I would dare say I'm back 100%. Have been bowling 2-3 times a week...which, BTW is probably contributing to the bursitis and IT band issues...but haven't picked up a golf club in a couple of weeks. Either bad timing or bad weather...but, I plan to get out there next week. We have a cart cover and heater, so cold isn't an issue. I have many days now that I don't even think about my hip not being my own. When my restrictions were lifted (for the most part) at 3 months, I found that I could now shave my own legs (didn't need hubby to do the Nair deforestation anymore), tie my own shoes and cut my own toenails. Those are big accomplishments, in my book. I will never be able to cross my legs, but that's not good for anyone, anyway.
Sorry to hear that your office is being relocated. I hope you can hang in there til then and then be able to find another job, afterwards. I also hope your DR does give you a phased in work release. Take care.
 
Yesterday was "graduation day" as I had my last home PT session. The last couple times the therapist was using some resistance and it felt so good to get those muscles working again in the quads and hamstrings. The leg extensions and hamstring curls are exercises I used to do in the gym all the time so I am excited about the prospect of getting back to the gym soon. I went into these surgeries fit but have lost strength and muscle tone during the recoveries so I am ready to get them back.

I have my post-op appointment with the surgeon on Monday. Can't believe it is here already! Hoping to be released to drive and go back to work, and finally get off the walker onto the cane and full weight bearing status. That will give me lots to be grateful for on Thanksgiving, as if I don't have enough already, that will just be icing on the cake!
Hope all my fellow hippies are having a fabulous day! :flwrysmile:

I know what you mean about getting back to the gym. I've been doing those exercises on the machines again. It feels good. I hope everything goes well when you see your surgeon. It will be much easier when you are on full weight bearing status.

I understand how you feel about wanting to get back to work. It's understandable. You've got a great attitude. Take care...
 
@Hipster Girl sounds like you are doing great. I know what you mean about losing muscle strength. After 2 THRs 2 months apart I'm ready to go but now feeling the effects of 4 months of not doing much, both strength and aerobic wise. I'm hoping to get back to the elliptical at the gym next week. I feel like I'm starting all over again. To be honest the loss of strength is the most frustrating part of back to back surgeries but I knew it was coming and would not change a thing. At least now I can move forward pain free and continue healing. Best of luck to you.
 
@DeepBreath & @Nana757 it really is a shame how people have to schedule their returns to work based on FMLA rather than how their recovery is going. Too many rules and regulations that don't take into account that we are individuals, similar to how insurance was a big factor in deciding when to have my surgeries. It made no financial sense to have one surgery in 2015 and then the other in 2016 when I would have to start all over at $0 for my deductible and out-of-pocket maximum, so I timed it to have both hips done in the same calendar year.

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely pleased I did it this way and I love getting the statements on my second hip that show my balance due is $0 because I have met my out-of-pocket maximum so my second hip is paid by insurance at 100%. But for someone else, they may choose to space it out more or be forced to space it out more based on available surgery dates, and it will cost them double. That doesn't seem right....

@Nana757 you are an inspiration! I love to bowl (I'm not good at it but I love it, haha). I thought that would be one of those activities I would never be able to do again because of the deep bend when releasing the ball. Do you find you have to modify your technique at all? Those are indeed great accomplishments tying your shoes, cutting your toenails, and "deforestation" (hehe) of your legs. I can't wait until I am able to do those things on my own.

When you say you will never be able to cross your legs again, do you mean physically you won't be able to, or that is a lifelong restriction from your surgeon not to do? I agree it is not good to do anyway but am just curious. Hope you are able to get out on the golf course soon. How neat is that, that your golf cart is covered & heated!

Nana, are you doing any PT for the bursitis & IT band issues?

@Hip Hip Hooray! and @Doodles51 I have weighed myself and while I haven't gained any weight these past couple months sitting around most of the day, I have always been a bit of a fitness buff and I have one of those body composition monitors that not only tells you your weight but tells you how much of that weight is fat, how much is muscle, bones, or water. So while my weight has stayed the same, the pounds that are muscle have decreased while the fat content has increased. I am not at all surprised by this and am actually glad to see it in black & white so I have a starting point when I go back to the gym.

My goal never is to get my weight down since muscle is denser and weighs more than fat, but my goal is to see the percentage of muscle go up and the percentage of fat go down. I know it will take some time so I will be patient but muscle is more condensed so that my clothes fit better when I am leaner, but since the surgeries, my muscle has decreased & my clothes are tighter even though my weight has remained the same. I better try on my work clothes to make sure they still fit!

@Doodles51 I am excited for you to get back on the elliptical next week and hope that goes well! I did the back to back surgeries like you, and like you, I would not change a thing. I am extremely glad I did them close together. 2016 is going to be a great year of increasing strength & mobility,and no arthritic hip pain! :yes!:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's how I'm feeling. Like all the muscle turned to fat, and I had enough to begin with. Even though I've been doing walks and strengthening exercises, I feel I need the real workout of elliptical. I can starve and not lose an ounce, it has to be through exercise for me. We have to be patience and realize what we've been through, but I am anxious to get moving. Best of luck to you
 
I am the same way @Doodles51, exercise is the key for me, watching what I eat doesn't make a difference. The elliptical is a great low-impact machine. Are there any limitations from your surgeon on how many minutes you can start on the elliptical or is it up to how you feel?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom