THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hip Hip Hooray! statistically you are spot on, there are a lot more depressed people today. I think part of the reason is the rat race we live in. No one slows down to smell the roses anymore or appreciate the little things. People have become more concerned with material things and keeping up with the Joneses than they are concerned about others. They are burning the candle at both ends, and worn out from the fast pace. And so many have their heads buried in their cell phones all day that they have forgotten how to relate to people one-on-one in person.

One thing I notice and appreciate on this forum is how many of us have learned through the hip replacement process to slow down the frantic pace and appreciate the little things in life. The slower pace and attitude of gratitude permeates every area of one's life. It's a matter of perspective and what is really important - is it people or things?

My grandparents always taught me to be kind and polite to others and I would watch as they walked this out in their daily lives. They would always have a kind word for the bank teller or put a smile on the store clerk's face, and everybody in their small town knew them and just loved them because they treated everyone with kindness. You hear the saying "he would give someone the shirt off his back", my grandfather actually did that one time when someone told him he liked his shirt. He took it right off and gave it to him, haha

That's encouraging that you know some young people in their twenties who are sweet and well-mannered. Maybe all hope is not lost, yet. :)
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Yes, I've really noticed it. I also think there is a lot of poverty and unemployment now. It's just more a depressed time. Many many people are taking prescription drugs, too. We have such an epidemic of alcoholism and prescription pill addiction where I live. It's the norm with many of the parents. It's really affecting the kids, who are also on drugs for depression, ADD, etc. The teachers are struggling, too. Many of the kids just aren't being parented. It's sad.

I agree with you about technology. I don't see many people spending much time in nature, or in taking care of the home anymore. I think those areas make such a difference in how we feel. I notice a huge shift when I take care of my house and garden. I just sleep better and feel more content and at peace. It seems like people are spending so many hours a week working that they are too exhaustive to do the rest. The demands are just huge.

Your grandparents sound like such wonderful people. It shows in you. You are always so kind and sweet. How we treat others can really make a difference in their day.
 
I agree @Hip Hip Hooray! about taking care of the home and spending time in nature. I think those activities have such a calming effect and are good for the soul.:yes:

I took everyone's advice about treating myself to something this weekend so I went to Kohl's today because I had a 30% off coupon. I bought the cutest shirt and how ironic is this, it reads: "Be Yourself and Love Who You Are Always". After the whole introvert/extrovert thing, I thought it was perfect! Sometimes we need to be reminded of the simple things. I hope when I wear it, it will remind others too, to just be themselves and appreciate who they are. :SUNsmile:

I had the added bonus of helping a couple in front of me who had forgotten their Kohl's coupon at home and the cashier told them she couldn't give the discount without the coupon, so I asked her if they could use mine and she said yes, so they got 30% off their purchase. Such a tiny gesture on my part but they were so appreciative - it just made my day!
:flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:blush: I apologize in advance and really hope this isn't TMI but I went to the gynecologist today for my annual visit and for the last 2-3 years my hips were so bad that I couldn't even get my feet up in the stirrups because of the hip pain. In addition to the excruciating hip pain, I remember the embarrassment this caused.

Today, no problem at all - I wasn't even aware of my hips at all! It's the little things, right? Who would think going to the doctor would make me happy and give me something else to be grateful for. But I am just IN AWE of the difference in these hips!

Again, so sorry if this is TMI, but considering how deteriorated my hips were, I couldn't believe they didn't bother me in the slightest today. :) :blush:
 
I think that's great! I know exactly what you mean. Such a relief. That's how I felt about the first sexual encounter. I think we forget what it's like to be pain free. We just adjust and tolerate the decay in the hip joints.

I'm so happy for you. Who would have thought you could enjoy your pap smear! Wow!
 
@Hipster Girl, it's definitely not TMI! I am SO happy for you! I have my yearly coming up this summer and this is so lovely to hear. I had to skip the past couple of years because I simply could not get 'into position'. I hear you about the embarrassment!
I loved your story about your shirt (WOOT for you doing something kind for yourself!) and the fact that you helped out that couple with your coupon. You are such a sweetie! I love what your shirt says. Awesome :)
That sounds like something that will make you smile every time you see it in your closet/dresser and every time you wear it.
It's funny you mentioned the introvert thing in regards to your shirt. I saw a t-shirt advertised online and thought how much I'd like to get it. I'll include a picture of it. Of course, your's is much sweeter and more inspirational. :)
[Bonesmart.org] Hipster Girl Recovery Thread
 
Thanks @DeepBreath and @Hip Hip Hooray! I'm glad you both understand about what I posted. I was actually coming on to delete my post when I saw your posts about it not being TMI so I will leave it. I wasn't sure how it would come across, it's kind of private but then not really since it's something all of us ladies have to go through, and hopefully it encourages others. I wonder how many other women have gone through the same thing. I felt so awkward the past couple years like I was the only one that couldn't use the stirrups but I'm sure I'm not alone.

@DeepBreath that shirt is a HOOT - I love it! Very fitting! :snork:
 
No, it's very helpful, because it makes you remember. I was nodding my head in agreement while reading it. We adjust to so much with these hips. I think it's kind of unconscious, trying to adapt.

I didn't realize how far back my pelvis was jutted, pre surgery. It sure makes you appreciate the difference. I'm glad you didn't delete your post.
 
@Hipster Girl It's very encouraging to hear about your recent experience with the pap exam.
Having both my hips pinned at puberty, I have never been able to assume "the position" and am always asked to "scoot down" a little more.:shrug: Will be interesting to see once I have my hips done, how free moving they will be.
 
I'm glad you didn't delete it, too! It is an important issue for women who need to have regular paps. Now I am over 65 with all negative results for many years, so I don't have to have them anymore. But when I was still having them, I went to an OB/GYN who had this wonderful, comfy chair that tilts way up, and even if you can only get one leg in a stirrup or neither of them, it didn't matter, and the whole experience is non-painful. I did have one pap at my family practice doctor's office after I stopped seeing the OB/GYN, on a flat, hard table, and it was horrible. Never again, even if my hips were both fine, would I go through that again at my age, too many aches and pains elsewhere. If I ever need a pelvic exam, I'll be going to a specialist with a tilting exam chair.
 
@msmo I'm glad my post was encouraging. I feel confident you will have the same experience after you have your surgeries and just marvel at the difference. Going for a pap is such an unpleasant thing to have to do anyway but it really is such a relief to finally be able to "assume the position" again.

@Krista, that is so interesting about the chair that tilts. I had no idea that there even was such a thing but what a useful invention. I also didn't know we could stop having regular paps over 65. That is good to hear. I sure will be looking forward to the day when I don't have to have them anymore. :yes:
 
Ummm.....I'm over 65 and have still had the pap smears done......just sayin'
 
Women can, of course, choose to continue to get PAPs, and many do! It is a personal choice for us women over 65.

And here's the information for anyone who wants it: "The American Cancer Society, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force agree that after age 65, there’s little additional benefit to routine annual screenings for low-risk women with a history of negative Pap smears and no history of cancer or precancerous lesions." That statement is from the https://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/when-pap-smears-are-no-longer-needed/?_r=0. The websites of those organizations will verify what is said in the article.
 
@Hipster Girl - Oh that post was not TMI at all! I am happy you left it on! It's those "little/BIG" victories that help to uplift us and reassure us that we absolutely did the right thing getting these darn THR's done! It was nice to read how happy it made you breezing through that pap smear! I'm sure others reading your post in the future will be encouraged by your experience!

I'm glad you got that perfect shirt for yourself! And it was so nice of you to let that couple use your coupon. Giving is a joy in itself sometimes. Also got a kick out of that appropriate and funny introvert t-shirt that @DeepBreath posted!

Hope your week is going well. I think you had another interview, right? Best of luck with everything! :flwrysmile:
 
@Readysetgo you're right, I was supposed to have another interview this week but I don't know what happened. They emailed me last Wed asking for my availability this week for an in-person interview and I responded but since then, I have not heard a peep back despite sending another followup note to them. Their website shows I'm still in the running but I don't know why they haven't responded. Maybe (hopefully) it has something to do with the upcoming Memorial Day holiday and people taking extra vacation days. There is a fine line between following up and being a pest so I will wait until at least next week before attempting to follow up again. But it's frustrating. I was very much looking forward to getting in there this week to interview.

I also applied for a few other jobs on Tuesday and I received an email response from one of these new companies asking my availability for a phone interview. I replied early yesterday morning and haven't heard anything back from them either. :what:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom