Guest viewing is limited

THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hipster Girl, well see...that's why you deserve a top notch job rather than having to work for that silly man. You're wise enough to look for the posted train schedule! :wink: :heehee:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I didn't get you updates again. I felt stressed out just reading that math question. It's good that you recognized the red flags. Working for people who don't respect your time is so unhealthy. That job sounded really negative to me.

I'm sorry you are having some pain from the StairMaster. It's interesting to hear how different people respond to the equipment. There is such a variety of responses. I find the bike is a good fit, too. My surgeon's asst. recommended it.
 
It's great what you can find on the internet these days. By doing my homework, I knew the interview questions would be "out there" and was already prepared for some of them.

He also started to back pedal on the salary range and after seeing my resume, he asked if he was correct in assuming I didn't have a degree, and he said he thought it was fair I recognize that I only earned the salary I did because I had been with my employer for so many years. I told him I was somewhat flexible on salary and that while my lengthy tenure certainly contributed to me earning a good salary, I also worked very hard and earned promotions to get to that pay level. I told him I hadn't needed a degree to be successful, that my experience spoke for itself. I knew he was trying to knock me down a few notches so he could justify back pedaling on the salary but I held my ground and didn't let him.

I already knew from my research that he doesn't have a degree either so I found it disingenuous that this was even an issue with him. I agree @Hip Hip Hooray! everything about it was red flags and negative. I'm not even upset about it; I think it's comical really and have had a few good belly laughs over it. :)
 
Thanks @SweetPea69 since I didn't get to the gym today, the belly laughs are the only abdominal workout I'm getting today. :wink:
 
Yeah, when you describe him I get that "I smell a rat" feeling. The Internet is really helpful. It's great that you did your homework. I'm glad that you took a rest day, too. Those are so important.

I was reading an article about Jerry Mitchell, a Broadway director. He said that he has to fall in love with the people that he hires. I liked that...what a concept. Work is so much more enjoyable when we are with people we love and respect. You can't put a price on a healthy, positive work environment. That's what you deserve.
 
You are so right @Hip Hip Hooray! a positive work environment is so important. I have to admit I've been spoiled because I have always been fortunate to work with such great people my entire career (well, minus the whole PITA co-worker thing but that was short-lived). A good fit is definitely one of my requirements for a new position. I wouldn't last very long at a job where I'm not respected as a person and if I couldn't respect my employer.

I took a couple days off from working out and my hips feel better. I am so bummed that the StairMaster isn't working out like I'd hoped but it is what it is and I have to listen to my body. I'm going to take a break from that machine for awhile.

I was updating my LinkedIn and looked up a former co-worker and good friend to add her to my contacts and instead I ran across her obituary and saw she had passed away a few months ago. I was absolutely stunned - I had no idea she has passed. She wasn't much older than me and never really had health issues although she did smoke. She was one of those people we could go years without talking to each other, just being busy with life, but then when we did talk, we would pick right back up where we left off. I always considered her such a dear friend even though we did talk only occasionally but there was such a deep connection. According to the obituary, the family had a family-only memorial service.

So today I have the unpleasant task of looking for a sympathy card to send to her family, assuming it's not inappropriate to send so late after her passing? I don't have any idea what the etiquette is for that. I have learned a valuable lesson through this - when I get that prompting to call an old friend, I need to just do it....no more excuses about how I'm too busy and I'll call tomorrow because this has shown me that there might not be tomorrow. Sorry for the depressing post but I am still reeling from the shock and feel sad I never got to say good-bye to my friend. I just always figured we'd catch up "later".

We've been having some gray, gloomy, rainy days here lately. It's good to get the rain because we do need it but it sure will be nice to see the sun again later this week. I can only take so many gray days before I need to see the sun. Sorry again for the depressing post. I'll be okay, I just need to work through the emotions.:sad:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I'm so sorry about your friend. You must feel grief stricken. What a shock. Your post isn't depressing, it's true. I've had the same thing happen. It's very painful to lose people when you have such a deep connection. I think it would be very kind to send a sympathy card to the family. I know my mom kept all of the cards she received when my brother died at 49. She had them in a bowl in the entryway. It really helps.

It's too bad the StairMaster isn't working out for you right now. I'm glad that you know what the problem is, though. Rest seems to really heal the hips when they are tired or overworked. I think it takes time for the body to readjust.

Take care of yourself. I can relate to your post.
 
Thank you @Hip Hip Hooray! your post means a lot to me. I'm sorry to hear you lost your brother - 49 is so young. That must have been very hard on you. Do you have other siblings?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl, I am so sorry about the loss of your friend. :console2:That must have been such a shock. Sending tons of good vibes your way.
I'm also sorry the StairMaster didn't work out so well for you. I think resting is a wise move. It doesn't take long to set things right, but I know that discouraged feeling when a setback occurs. Take good care of yourself and believe that very soon you'll be on track again.
I must say that the fellow you interviewed with sounds like the south end of a north bound mule. How dare he question your salary and whether or not you 'deserved' it? I feel sorry for his employees.
I hope today sees brighter skies and more cheer. Hang tough, friend. We're here for you. :flwrysmile:
 
Aww, thanks @DeepBreath, it just reinforces how important it is not to take life and friendships for granted. This was a needed reminder.

"South end of a north bound mule" made me chuckle - thanks for that - that describes him to a T. :snork:

I went back to the gym today and did the Adaptive Motion Trainer which is nice and gentle on my hips. It felt good.

I am going to my first networking event tomorrow morning and I am feeling nervous. I'm kind of dreading it because I am not comfortable in those type of situations but I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone a little. My friend from the gym is going with me so that will make it easier I think. We'll see how it goes...
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Yes, I have two other brothers. It taught me what you said about not taking life for granted. The Adaptive Motion Trainer sounds cool. I think we have that at my gym, too.

I hope the networking event goes well. I know what you mean. I'm not comfortable in those situations, either. That should help to have your friend with you. The gym is a good place to meet people.
 
@Hipster Girl, good wishes are flowing for you as you attend your networking event. I dislike situations like that as well. I'm not a very good 'off the cuff' person. I do better when I have a little time and distance with which to formulate responses.
You will do great, I'm sure. You have an impressive track record backing you up. Are you wearing the new spring outfit you bought?
You are so right about not taking relationships for granted.
I hope you have a terrific day, friend. :SUNsmile:
 
@Cynthia777 I know, right? I would likely never work again if I had to do any more of those complicated math questions to get a job :thud:

@DeepBreath I'm exactly the same way in that I do better when I have some time to formulate responses. We had some one-on-one networking with those at our table, and we had an assignment for each person to speak for 5 minutes about what they did and what they were looking for. I was a little uncomfortable doing that in front of strangers but I guess that was the whole point - to network and get to know each other.

I didn't wear my new Spring outfit. I just wore dress pants and a nice sweater. It's been rainy & chilly so I was glad for the sweater.

@Hip Hip Hooray! Not taking life for granted is a tough but important lesson to learn. I can tell from your posts that you cherish the little things in life and building good relationships. That's so important.

I do think having my gym buddy with me at the networking event made it easier for me. She is the complete opposite of me and she has no problem striking up a conversation with anybody and everybody and will talk your ear off if you let her. :)

I am trying to break out of my comfort zone a little. It's not easy but it can be rewarding. I met some really interesting people today including one lady who used to work at HSN but recently relocated to the area, several bi-lingual people who have lived and worked overseas, and a gentleman who is looking for a job that pays the bills that doesn't demand every minute of every day, so that he can do ministry on the side which is his real passion. I really enjoyed listening to everyone and hearing their stories. I left there very uplifted. :SUNsmile:
 
@Hipster Girl, it sounds like it went beautifully. Getting out of our comfort zone is important, if not always exactly what we want to do. It can bring about surprising opportunities and enjoyment though.
I'm sure you looked great. :) Isn't our nation's weather something? You were rainy and chilly, we reached the low 90's, and my sister - in Colorado - got 15 inches of snow over the weekend! :flabber:
And poor Houston...my goodness, it sounds like an awful situtation there with the flooding.
Sorry, didn't mean to go off on that tangent!
It does sound like a good thing to have your gym buddy with you. You two sound like a nice 'yin and yang' blend.
I'm so glad you felt uplifted by the experience. :flwrysmile:
 
@DeepBreath & @Hip Hip Hooray! thanks for the encouragement. I really relish being in my comfort zone but doing something different, no matter how small, can be very rewarding. Baby steps...

I am learning a lot from my friend at the gym. She has an inoperable brain tumor, has been living as roommates with her husband who filed for divorce, and she is unemployed. Yet she continues to just take it one day at a time. Her faith is remarkable.

Boy, no kidding about the wacky weather. So bizarre... :flabber:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom