Guest viewing is limited

THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hipster Girl, it sounds like you have found a good groove as far as your days are concerned. I can absolutely understand that rudderless feeling you must have experienced at first. I think approaching your job search like a job in itself is a terrific idea. Keeping in touch with folks is also great. I think it's easy for people to forget people/tasks in the day to day busy-ness, so touching base with them regularly is awesome.
I so hear you about the hip discomfort. You and I are just days apart with our second surgeries. It seems that I'm regularly either overdoing it or underdoing it. I've taken it very easy this past week since my migraine thing and I think the inactivity has taken its toll as my newest op hip is achy and my muscles feel tight. I hope one day that this won't be such an issue.
I hope you're having a terrific weekend though! :)
 
Thanks @Hip Hip Hooray!, speaking of writing, how is your writing coming along?

I was a little taken aback by the sudden flareup on my left hip. It's funny because it seems the things causing it are the gentler forms of exercise like walking on a treadmill. And the bike that used to really bother me, now seems like it agrees with me more now. I did the basic PT exercises yesterday and it felt good. I haven't done those basic exercises in a long time but am going to do a session of those every day this week and see if it makes a difference.

Are you steering clear of that toxic knitting group now? Those ladies were something else.
Hope you are enjoying your weekend! :flwrysmile:
 
@DeepBreath it's hard finding that perfect balance with the activity, isn't it? I find myself either overdoing or underdoing as well. Sometimes just basic activity is what causes a flareup like the other day when I had those interviews and was just rushing around all day. I didn't exercise that day but just the busy-ness of the day seemed to not agree with my hips, and I actually used my cane at home that night. I could have done without it but it took some of the pressure off. I am hoping going back to some of the basic PT exercises will help.

You are so right about keeping in touch with folks. I really need to remember that. I tend to put in applications with very little follow-through. I've been approaching it as "if they don't call, they don't call" but I need to remember just how many applicants are applying for the same jobs, and sometimes you need to keep your name in front of these people so they don't forget about you.

It sounds like you are having a good weekend hanging out with your son. It must be a good feeling to get the big grocery shop out of the way. I wish I could help you with some kale recipes but the only thing I've ever used it for is to throw some in the blender with some fruit to make smoothies. It's really good that way though - you can barely taste it but still get the nutritional benefit.:)
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I was thinking the same thing...I want to start doing those basic PT exercises again. I think they are an excellent foundation. I forget about them, but when I do them, my hips feel at their best.

I haven't been writing, except for short blurbs and show business photos on Facebook. I sort of use it like an advertisement for the book. People really respond to the photos. It's fun. I ran out of paper, so I need to buy more notebooks. I've got to recommit to a couple hours a day of writing again.

Yes, I have avoided the knitting groups. I just have such different ideals and goals. I am knitting, though. I'm making another vintage sweater with silk and mohair yarn. It really relaxes me.
 
@Hipster Girl, yes! Sometimes even the day to day activity sets it off. I'm guessing (hoping) that this is just the way it is for the first year or so as our bodies adapt to our new parts and the different way we carry ourselves.
Gosh, I have been tempted a couple of times to use my cane again, but it's in the garage and I'd have to go dig it out.
I think the basics are good for the hips. I've responded well to those exercises so I keep them as a mainstay.
It will be interesting to see how the hips are feeling in, say...5 years. If little aches still kick up every once in awhile or if it will be something we look back on and think, "Yeah, that was aggravating, but I haven't experienced that in a long time".
Kale in smoothies actually sounds terrific. I need to buy myself a new blender carafe as ours didn't survive our move last year. I just remembered that when I read your post. :)
I'm excited to experiment with the kale. I've eaten it before, but have never bought it to use myself. I love all kinds of greens; spinach, collard, chard, turnip greens. It'll be interesting to see what I can make from it. :)
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I forget about the basic PT exercises too but you're right - they do seem to be an excellent foundation. I did them again yesterday and my hips felt really good. I am experimenting with different activities to see what works and what doesn't. I remembered your post about how walking was bothering you until those muscles kind of got used to it, so I thought maybe I should continue to keep walking in the mix but reduce the time, so I walked on the treadmill yesterday for only 15 minutes and did the basic PT exercises and today I feel good. I may be onto something here. It's really just trial and error at this point.

You're right - people do respond well to photos. That's a really great idea to use Facebook to advertise for the book.

I'm glad you aren't subjecting yourself to that awful knitting group anymore. That particular group sounded very toxic and unhealthy. Your new sweater sounds just lovely. What color is this one? Mohair is very soft yarn, isn't it? See, I'm learning :wink:
 
@DeepBreath I have thought the exact same thing, that hopefully this is just our bodies adapting to the new hips for the first year, and I bet that probably is the case. I know I've read on here that it takes a full year for our bodies to heal from THR so it makes sense that they are adapting that entire time.

I printed out that picture that you posted about what we can do today that we couldn't do a year ago, and I have put it on my refrigerator as a tangible reminder to never take these hips for granted. I am still reminded every day of how much this surgery has given me back my life. Just the simple things like shopping or housework, walking down stairs, getting in and out of the car - it is a night and day difference. I can remember at work when gentlemen would step aside because they let the ladies out first and I always felt so awkward because it would take forever for me to get out of the elevator with my limp, but now even the simplest thing like that I can do with no problem and I look and feel "normal" like everybody else. I am just in awe of what this surgery has done!
:flwrysmile:
That's awesome that you enjoy all those healthy greens - they're so good for you. I have to force myself to eat vegetables. I have a big sweet tooth. This weekend I did really bad at the grocery store and I bought a "scoop cake" - I had never heard of it before but it looked sooo good - it's layers and layers of white cake and berries and whipped cream. I also couldn't resist when I saw the M&M's "limited time only" variety pack where they want people to vote for the next new flavor between honey nut, coffee nut, and chili nut, so I bought it also. The chili nut sounded awful but I had to see for myself :heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Hipster Girl, I did the basic exercises yesterday, too. They really are profound. My hips feel excellent today. I think you are wise to cut the time on the treadmill. It feels to me like our hips have to adapt to each style of movement. I find if I switch things around, then my hips have to re-adapt if I return to the old activity.

This sweater is a nice shade of green. I really like how it looks so far. It feels good to have a creative outlet. Yes, you are right about mohair.

I feel the same way that you do about this surgery. It's such a life changer! Let's keep doing those basic PT exercises. They make such a difference, and they are safe.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! so glad your hips are feeling great today! I think we are on to something with those basic PT exercises. I have yet to figure out what it is about them that helps us, but there's no denying that they do, so I totally agree it's best to stick with them.

It also makes sense what you're saying about our hips having to adapt to each type of movement. I know I hadn't walked for quite some time pre-surgery because it was so incredibly painful, so it seems logical to me that it would take more time for my hips to be strong enough again to walk for exercise. I just need to be patient.

I'm glad your sweater is coming along nicely. I love all shades of green. It's such a happy color.
 
@Hipster Girl, ooh! I have been eyeballing the chili nut M&M's. I'm kind of an oddball. I love hot chocolate with a bit of cayenne pepper thrown in just to get a touch of subtle heat. I'm a spice girl. :wink:
You'll have to let me know what you think of them.
I'm so glad you like that picture I posted. It is a terrific reminder. I was very aware this weekend of being able to do things around the house that would have been close to impossible this time last year...and now I do those things without thinking much about it. Posting that pic on the fridge is a terrific idea because it's all too easy to forget how far we've come in a relatively short time.
I was looking over our Parks & Rec catalogue with my son this weekend and seeing if there were any camps he'd like to participate in this summer. He went to a basketball and a soccer camp last year and it got me to thinking how hellish that was and how very different things are now.
Every morning and afternoon they required the attending child to be signed in and out of the camp (as it should be). Every day, twice a day, I would haul my walker out to the car, fold it up, wrangle it into the trunk, drive to the rec center, wrangle the walker out of the trunk after finding a space in the always packed parking lot, painfully make my way into the gymnasium (always aware of the looks from people), sign him in or out, and then do everything in reverse. It exhausted me. Looking at that catalogue was a valuable reminder of just how much these surgeries have given me. It's incredible. :loveshwr:

P.S. - I have a sweet tooth too. The scoop cake sounds amazing. Hey, it had fruit in it! :wink:
 
@DeepBreath if you like cayenne pepper with hot chocolate, I bet you would love the chili M&M's. I tried to like 'em but just couldn't. The coffee nut M&Ms were my favorite (yes, shame on me, I've already tried them all! where's that blushing emoticon... :))

I totally forgot you were on a walker before your surgeries! That sounds awful what all you went through just signing your son in & out of camp last year. It must have been so exhausting having to go thru all that. Wow, look at how far you've come! Incredible indeed!!
:loveshwr::wowspring:
I'm off this morning - have another networking group to go to. Then my annual mammo - was supposed to go in October but didn't make it because of the hips. Does it sound like a fun day or what? haha :heehee:
 
@Hipster Girl - You've got a lot going on with the job hunt! It must feel good to have a recruiter working for you and feeling enthusiastic about your potential opportunities. A nice confidence boost! Have you heard anything about that job opportunity that you thought might not be quite right for you but the recruiter did? I hope your networking group went well today!

Finding a job can take a long time! I don't know anyone who got a new job in a snap. When I was looking to move from NYC to New England, I was hoping to land a FT job first, then move. This was 17 years ago before Internet explosion. I'd arrange interviews and visit New England. People offered me freelance work but nothing full time. I was doing textile design for a living at the time. I kept persisting and eventually after ONE YEAR of this (and working full time in NYC), I just moved. I found a heavenly little apartment in a little town with a big kitchen window overlooking the bay. I was single then, knew nobody in New England and only had a handful of freelance offers of work. Luckily I had negotiated a good amount of cash from my landlord to leave my (beloved) rent stabilized apartment in NYC so I had a $ cushion. I moved in the middle of winter with ice and snow everywhere. I was so excited to finally be leaving NYC but also terrified. Who was I now? :shocked:Friends kidded that I'd be back to NYC in a few months. I started freelancing and eventually got offered a FT job which lasted 6 years. I never moved back to NYC.

I'm rambling on about this to encourage you to be tenacious. The design director who finally hired me used to tease me that I was like a pitbull about getting that job. I think I interviewed there 3 times with 2 different directors. I sent thank you's and called to "check in" quite a bit over the course of that job hunting year.

It sounds like the recruiters are excited about working with you! As well they should be! Just hang in there and be patient. You are doing wonderfully!

I hear you about being grateful about what life is like now after your THR's. I am just starting to feel that now that my 2 hips are really starting to work together. I used to wince in parking lots when cars would wave me to go ahead and cross (i.e. hobble slowly) in front of them. Or when faced with a long narrow flight of stairs, others would say "After you -" and wave me to go ahead. I finally started saying "No, YOU go ahead. I'll take forever." Hopefully those days are starting to be over. :yes!:

You sound like you're listening to your body attentively. I know what you mean about feeling worse sometimes after rushing around doing stuff other than working out or PT or whatever. I think I probably slide back into old compensating habits then without realizing it because I'm not moving as consciously.

Good luck good luck to you! Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming job adventures. :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @Readysetgo I haven't heard anything back on that particular job yet but I only turned my resume in on Friday so it might be a few days before I hear anything.

You are not kidding that getting a new job can take some time. There was a lady in our networking group this morning who finally landed a job after 17 months!! She had to sell her house and move in with family since it took so long. But she is senior level director, so those type of jobs generally take a lot longer. I am not even close to that level so fingers crossed that mine won't take anywhere near that long.:)

Thank you for sharing your story. Wow, you were incredibly brave to just pick up and move like that! And in the middle of winter to boot. :shocked:

When I came home today, I had a message on the machine about a temp-to-hire job AND an email from one of my target companies wanting to set up a phone interview! Priority #1 was setting the phone interview up because this is a company I would really like to work for so I am scheduled for 1:00 tomorrow afternoon. :yes!:
:spin:
I am so excited and nervous all at once!! :loveshwr: I went to the gym and did the StairMaster - I know I said I wasn't going to use that machine for awhile but it was either that or go for a run to burn off all this nervous energy and I am not allowed to run anymore!:happydance:

I haven't even called on that other job yet because it is now after hours but I will call tomorrow. Tonight I need to do my homework so I am prepared for my interview. Did I mention I am excited?! :dancy:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How exciting, @Hipster Girl. I'm really happy for you. I phone interview sounds great. Let us know how it goes. You are making excellent progress.

Time to go do those basic PT exercises. This is the third day in a row. Are you still doing them? Good luck on the Stair Master.
 
Thanks @Hip Hip Hooray! I will update after my interview. Gosh I hope I can sleep tonight. I am super wound up but I know I need to sleep so I am coherent and focused tomorrow.

I'm glad to hear you are still doing the basic PT exercises. I have to admit that with all the activity today, I didn't make time to do the basic PT exercises. No excuses, I need to do them tomorrow. They help so much.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! and @Readysetgo sorry I didn't update yesterday but the day got away from me.

The interviewer had asked me which number to call me on and I responded my home phone, so I had my cell phone on silent so it wouldn't be ringing with other callers and disturbing me during the interview. Well, wouldn't you know she called my cell phone. So I am waiting, waiting, waiting, and no call. Because I wasn't checking my cell phone. Anyways she emailed that she had been trying to get ahold of me and I told her what happened and we rescheduled for late yesterday. By that time I was a little flustered and I know this wasn't the best first impression but why ask me what number to call and then call the other one??? ugh. This job is one I am VERY interested in and I hope that didn't cost me my chance but we shall see. In person interviews will be starting next week or the week after and I really hope they call me back.

During all this commotion, one of the recruiters I met with last week called me about a job and asked if she could present my resume to the hiring manager and I told her yes. Then I called back the other recruiter from Tuesday and she told me she had needed me to call her back Tuesday because the company needed someone immediately so she had to go with someone else but it was only temp-to-hire anyway. The good news is I am on her radar.

And lastly, I got a call back from the company I did that crazy assessment on last week! I couldn't believe they called me back. This was an on-the-spot phone screening and I had zero time to prepare and it went GREAT! We really clicked and she already told me she wants to set me up with a phone interview in a few days and then get me in front of the hiring managers.

All of these jobs pay within my salary range - I couldn't believe it. I was very surprised and happy about that because I had prepared myself that I was going to have to take a pay cut. They also all much closer to my home than my previous job so less commute time. I'm not that interested in the one the recruiter called me about but the other two I had applied on my own and they are both target companies that I had on my wish list. I would be over the moon if I got either one of them. Next week will be nervewracking for me - I haven't been on an interview in FOREVER. Very exciting about the potential of working for one of these two companies though!!:yes!:
 
Oh @Hipster Girl! this is all such great news. Your post really brought a smile to my face. Especially the part about everything being in your salary range and NOT having to take a pay cut.

Sorry about the mishap with cell and home phone. Yuk - frustrating! I hope the interviewer realized it was her mistake, not yours. One time when I had a phone interview scheduled, a crew started doing heavy, noisy street construction right outside my house just before the interview was scheduled. Aaaah! :yikes: I jumped into my car with my cell phone to a quiet parking lot just in time.

I'm so glad there will be less commute for you as well with these jobs. I have done long commutes and they're okay for awhile but can get quite tedious.

Can't wait to hear what happens next for you! Good luck with the interviews. You are really on a roll now! :dancy:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Wow! What an update. I am so excited for you. I have a feeling you may have to choose between a few offers. I loved hearing about how you clicked with that woman. That's what it's all about. You deserve a job that you love, and with wonderful people. I'm so happy to hear that these are in your salary range, and on your wish list, too.

it's too bad that one woman called you on your cell phone. I notice that sort of thing happens a lot lately. Mix ups due to technology and miscommunication. You are so conscientious. As @Readysetgo said, it was her mistake. Oh well. It really feels like some good things are headed your way. I'm so proud of you! (I hope that doesn't sound weird.) You have worked so hard. I'm also excited that these jobs are close to home. It sounds like you are reaching your goals.
 
@Readysetgo I was really concerned about how that phone mishap was going to affect my chances. After my phone interview, I sent the interviewer an invitation to connect on LinkedIn and wrote a short message telling her it was nice talking to her and I looked forward to the next step. She accepted my invitation and yesterday she sent me an email saying they are starting first round interviews early next week and she would like to get me on the schedule! Whoop whoop, double whoop!!!
:loveshwr::happydance::yay:

Aaargh about the construction noise while you were trying to interview! That was smart thinking on your part to get to a quiet parking lot to take the call. It's hard to make a good impression when you can't hear the other person and keep saying "What?? Huh?? What'd you say??":heehee:

I saw that you are going back to work on the 17th - are your returning to a job or is this a new job? Good for you on getting everything organized around the house. I still need to do that and am tackling it little by little, especially the paper clutter - I am really bad about paper clutter because I deal with paper all day at work (when I'm working) and it's the last thing I want to do when I get home. Plus I don't have a designated office space so my papers are all over the place. It is a good feeling to get more organized and to de-clutter.

Are you going back to work full-time right away or a graduated return?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom