Guest viewing is limited

THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My weekend of decompressing was so helpful that I decided to extend it for a full week. I have actually gotten a couple of messages about jobs on LinkedIn that I will definitely check out but I am waiting until next week. This week, I am recharging the batteries so to speak, and just giving myself a much needed mental break. I went to the gym this morning and did 30 min on the StairMaster and burned off a lot of anxiety and nervous energy. I'm also doing some Spring cleaning at home but not overdoing it - just a little at a time. When I am very stressed, my skin breaks out and it is very broken out right now which is a manifestation of all the stress I had been dealing with the last couple weeks, so I'm slowing it down and taking some time just to exhale.

Next week I plan to contact an outplacement agency and I also want to follow up with one recruiter and send my resume to another who has requested it. Plus I have the two jobs I was contacted about on LinkedIn. They may not amount to anything but I think I will respond to whomever contacts me because you just never know...

I have learned I need to be presentable whenever I leave the house because you never know who you might run into. A couple days ago I was running an errand after coming right from the gym and was all sweaty in my workout clothes when I ran into someone from one of my target companies (I saw his badge). If I had been showered and dressed decent, I would have struck up a conversation and who knows where that might have led. Lesson learned.

My air conditioning is out and I need to call a repairman to come out. Thankfully it hasn't been too warm yet so we have managed without it but warmer temps will be upon us before you know it. Hopefully it will be an easy and inexpensive fix.
Hope everyone is having a great healing day! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I hope it's inexpensive to fix, too. I'm sorry that your skin has broken out from the stress. I'm glad you are working out at the gym, and giving yourself a break. Skin does really reflect the emotions. I like how you said you were burning off anxiety on the stair master. That's so true. It's amazing how therapeutic exercise is.

It's too bad you were in sweaty workout clothes when you saw the man from one of your target companies. I'm sure you still looked pretty, but I know what you mean. I usually wear street clothes to the gym, for that reason. I often run into people that I used to teach.

I am saying lots of prayers for your job situation. How are your hips feeling? It sounds like they are healing well. I'm glad you made it through the last few weeks. You take care...
 
Thank you @Hip Hip Hooray! I am keeping you in my prayers as well. I'm looking forward to the day when we are both thriving in our new jobs and looking back on this time of uncertainty is just a distant memory.:)

My hips are feeling great and my muscles are toning up and getting so much stronger. I am somewhat amazed at the muscle memory since it had been quite awhile since I was able to work out effectively and consistently because of all the pain. But my muscles are responding very well to the weight machines in particular and I am toning up which really boosts my confidence, and when looking for a job, confidence is so important, so anything that makes us feel better is a huge plus.

My son has been working as an intern at the company I just left and he has been there for several months now. He is wrapping things up now and should be finished within the next few days but it's kind of a good feeling that he gets up and goes to work at my old company and that he outlasted me there. :heehee: Every day when he comes home he has been telling me someone asked about me or said to tell me hello, or they are passing on job leads to me. That is great to hear and means a lot to me. There are some amazing people there, most of whom are facing the same fate as me but they have until the end of June before losing their jobs. I may go up and meet my son for lunch tomorrow and pop in and say hi to everyone.

oh, i almost forgot...I finally found the string to my pink hoodie and was able to put it back in using your technique so yay! After I got it through, I knotted both sides to prevent it from coming out again. :yes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's great, @Hipster Girl. I'm so glad that you found the string. I was wondering what happened.

How wonderful that those people are passing on job leads to you. I'm sure they miss you. The lunch sounds perfect.

It's exciting when the muscle memory kicks in after this surgery. I know what you mean about confidence. Being in shape makes such a difference in self esteem. That's great that the machines are working so well for you. Keep up the great work!
 
@Hipster Girl, yaay for the great workouts, the muscle memory kicking in, and for some possible job leads!
It sounds like you're doing great and that you're taking good care of yourself. Awesome. That is so important.
I'm sorry your skin is currently giving you fits. I can relate. I hope with some de-stressing it clears up soon.
I'm sending tons of good vibes your way and for @Hip Hip Hooray! that you find the perfect positions.
How wonderful about your son still being at your former company. It must be nice to have that link still. I have a hard time with goodbyes. Having a bit of contact via your son and hearing the good wishes and 'hellos' from your friends hopefully helps during your transition.
Take good care of yourself, Hipster. :flwrysmile:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! you are so right about being in shape making a difference in self-esteem. I have been getting to the gym nearly every day and I am feeling stronger and more confident. The endorphins help from the cardio but it's also just a great feeling of being in control and exercise also makes me feel younger, which is particularly important while trying to find a job amidst all this age discrimination in the workforce.

@DeepBreath good to see you posting again. How was Spring Break with your son? Did you do anything fun or just hang out? (which is fun too :SUNsmile:)

You are very intuitive and spot on that having my son still at my former company is helpful with the transition and how nice it is to still have that link. It's really cool to have him come home and send me messages from my former co-workers. I went up and had lunch with him on Friday and ran into quite a few people in the lobby who I had not had a chance to say good-bye to previously.

On Friday, he was actually offered a permanent position there! He was taken completely off-guard as the offer was for a totally different department than the one he is working in, but I think people are noticing his work ethic and apparently word has gotten around. I don't know if he can accept the position or not because of his class schedule but it is something to think about for sure. The company offers tuition reimbursement so that is something that could be quite valuable to a college student. I'm really proud of him that he has worked hard and it is paying off for him.:loveshwr:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, What wonderful news! I am thrilled for you and your son. I really hope he can take the position. The tuition reimbursement sounds fantastic. I'm sure that would help you, too. I know you mentioned that being part of your budget. I'm glad you got to see more people in the lobby when you went to meet him for lunch. I can see why you are so proud of him. He sounds a lot like you. You have set such a good example.

I'm happy to hear that you are feeling more confident from going to the gym. I think it makes such a difference in our aura. It's grounding and centering. Keep up the great work!
 
@Hipster Girl, oh happy news! How wonderful that your son has gotten that offer. I so agree with Hip Hip, that the tuition reimbursement is incredible. It's awesome that his great work was noticed and is obviously appreciated!
Keep us posted, please. :)
You sound like you're doing just great. The exercising, the energy, the confidence...it shines through in your posts. Keep up the great work, friend! I admire how you've figured out you own PT and it is going fabulously for you. :)
Spring break was nice. We didn't do much besides kind of a 'staycation' sort of thing...a lunch and a dinner at places we wanted to try, as well as some bowling. My husband was gone last week on a work related trip and returned on Thursday. Our son has been wanting to see a pro basketball game, Washington Wizards specifically, but they were playing an away game this weekend. My husband got the idea to travel south instead and he and The Boy got to see a Charlotte Hornets game. He was in heaven! I was so happy for them.
Gracie (doggie) and I hung out at home, ate treats, and binge watched girlie shows. It was a win/win for everybody! :SUNsmile:
Here's a pic of The Boy at the game. He looks so grown in this photo!
[Bonesmart.org] Hipster Girl Recovery Thread
 
Thanks @DeepBreath and @Hip Hip Hooray! we'll see what happens. His schedule has been so crazy between working two jobs and going to school that we haven't had a lot of time to discuss it, but if he took this job, he could probably quit the other one. I worry about him stretching himself too thin. Even though he's still very young, burning the candle at both ends like this is catching up with him and he is exhausted all the time, stressed, and rail thin. I'm glad he works hard but he needs to take care of his health and enjoy life too, not just work all the time. That's one thing this surgery has taught me, how important it is to slow down and really take care of one's self. Boy oh boy, would that tuition reimbursement be nice though! He is taking the scenic route through college. He had earned a full ride scholarship but unfortunately did what many freshman do and the newfound independence, lack of structure, and having a new girlfriend got his focus off his studies and he didn't keep his grades up and lost his scholarship. So now tuition is 100% out of pocket, and any assistance will be a huge help with that.

@DeepBreath your son looks so grown up and handsome! What a great idea your husband had, to drive south for a Hornets game. I bet that worked out even better since Charlotte is vying for their spot in the playoffs, and Washington is out of playoff contention this year. I'm sure there was a lot of energy and excitement in the arena. I am a Cavaliers fan and have seen them a few times and have enjoyed it immensely.

Glad you and Gracie had fun at home, binge watching girlie shows...it does sound like a win/win for everybody! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I ran into my friend at the gym yesterday - the one who lost her job very suddenly - and she told me she had a couple of interviews already last week and one looks very promising. It hasn't even been a month yet since she lost her job! Granted, she has several degrees so she is much more in demand, but she is also 55 so it is great that there is a good possibility she might land this job.

Also my PITA co-worker already got a new job and she starts next week. She is around my age - only a year or two younger - and does not have a degree so it's very encouraging that she got a job this quickly. It gives me hope. Hopefully her next job is a better fit for her.

I called the outplacement service yesterday but they haven't gotten my paperwork yet so they said to give it a couple of days, then they will call me back and get me set up with orientation and my own personal career coach. I'm excited to see what all that entails. In the meantime, I need to work on my resume today and get it sent over to a recruiter who has been asking for it. Time for me to get after it....hope everyone has a great day!!:flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl, I will be sending out good thoughts for your son for whatever decision he makes. Oh my about the scholarship. That does tend to happen to young people getting their first taste of adult life, doesn't it? I can so see my daughter doing something like that. He'll get there. Hopefully he can use the tuition reimbursement and make his way a bit more smooth. It is worrisome about them burning the candle at both ends!
It's good to hear about the folks who have gotten jobs. That is a terrific sign! I must say how very sweet you are. You are so gracious about PITA. I will admit that when I was reading that I thought, "Oh, I wonder how long before they figure out her true nature?" Sorry...like I told Hip Hip, I am rather snarky these days.
Deep breaths and trust, friend. The right job is out there for you. I am sending tons of good vibes as you go forward. *Hugs* :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, What a shame that he lost the scholarship. I can see how easily that would happen at that age. I can also totally relate to what you said about overworking. I was the same way. This has been such a lesson for me. It's not worth it to damage you body. Most of us don't realize what we're doing until it's too late.

Wow... that's good news about those women. Timing is everything. It sounds like you are on the upswing.
 
@DeepBreath and @Hip Hip Hooray! so true about some of these young people getting their first taste of adult life. My son is one of those people who has to learn everything the hard way. He's always been that way, but better late than never, and he does learn, but unfortunately, this one was very costly. He'll get there. He's grown up a lot. When they graduate high school, they are still so young and they still act like kids, and they don't have the maturity yet to navigate some adult decisions. As much as it pains me that he lost the scholarship, I think it's a good thing that he is learning some of these big lessons early on in life.

Also, I think a lot of kids that age just don't have any sense of fiscal responsibility. When we went to his freshman orientation, I was stunned how these colleges push credit cards on these kids and they were signing up for them left & right. I told him "don't you dare". I think it's unconscionable that these banks push those cards on these college students. Most of them already have student loans, and the credit cards are setting them up for getting into even more debt, poor spending habits, high interest rates, and all the rest.

About PITA, I have to admit I had the same thought as you @DeepBreath about how long it will take her new co-workers to find out her true nature. Knowing that I will never have to work with her ever again is such a huge relief, that it makes it easier for me to let go of some of the hard feelings I had towards her. Thankfully, she is not my problem anymore. She had one of those bullying personalities we talked about in another thread but I will never have to deal with it anymore and hopefully my next job will have me surrounded by nicer, more teamwork oriented people. I did have to laugh because she said one of her interview questions was "what would your co-workers say about you?" I thought to myself "I could sure think of a few things but they definitely wouldn't get you the job" :heehee: But I took the high road and bit my tongue. Her bullying and brown-nosing was one of the hardest things I've had to deal with in the workplace and hopefully I never have to deal with a person like that again. It was very unhealthy.
 
@Hipster Girl, unconscionable is the perfect word for those credit card companies preying on young people like that. And that is exactly what it is: preying. How sad that so much of our society today is about profit over people. Massive debt benefits nobody.
Oh goodness...PITA. I am also glad that you no longer have to deal with her. That is truly something to be thankful for.
Her complete oblivion regarding the question about what her co-workers would say about her is indicative of how delusional she is. Some people truly do not get it.
Honestly, when I read about her getting a job I couldn't help but think that the saying, 'God takes care of fools and babies' is true. There I go again, being salty.
I hope you have a terrific day and that the resume reviewing is going well. You've got this, friend! :)
 
@Hipster Girl - My goodness, you have a lot going on these days! But you sound wonderful - working out is so good for the soul (and body)! Very exciting that you have a career coach, too. Sounds like you are ready and refreshed to take on that job search again.

You must be so happy for your son getting the job offer and tuition reimbursement. He must be quite valuable to the company. I hope everything works out just great for him (without overworking. Balance! So hard to find at any age!)

I'm glad the PITA is out of your life now. That was such a drain on your psyche. Uncomfortable work situations are just awful.

Good luck to you! I hope everything works out perfectly at just the perfect time for you. Enjoy those workouts! :biking: :)
 
So true @DeepBreath and @Readysetgo, PITA was oblivious and a huge drain on the psyche. It feels wonderful not to have that pulling me down anymore. I didn't realize the full extent of how much it was affecting me but it is such a relief not to have to deal with her anymore.

I had a phone interview this morning. It went well but was not a fit. I suspected as much yesterday after I looked up company reviews last night but decided to go ahead with the interview for the experience since I am very rusty. It's an extremely small company, very long hours with no overtime pay, no vacation for the first year, and no benefits to speak of. I'm at the stage of life when work/life balance is very important to me and this job wouldn't provide that. Not to mention the ridiculous math aptitude questions like this one:

"A train is traveling 45mph and leaves at 4:30 am with 4 stops on its schedule. The first stop picks up 214 passengers and takes 15 minutes to get to the next stop, which picks up 31 passengers. If each stop after the first takes 5 minutes more than the last, with a 14 minute resting period in between, what time will it be when the train reaches its destination and then makes a round trip?"

I consider myself to be of above average intelligence but I haven't a clue and quite frankly couldn't care less. :heehee:

There were 50 of these questions to be completed in a timed 10 minute test. All this for way too much work and no benefits....no thanks
 
@Hipster Girl - It's good you did that phone interview just for practice. Knowing the company wasn't right for you helps with doing the interview, but not being attached to the outcome. No vacations at all the first year?? Ugh! And no benefits? Double ugh!

And that math question!! Absolutely ridiculous! I hope you just had a good laugh about it all.

That perfect job is just waiting for you! Meanwhile, enjoy your freedom, your workouts and your weekend! :flwrysmile:
 
So true @Readysetgo, it was nice to do the interview knowing I probably didn't want the job anyway. It took all the pressure off. I did have a good laugh over the math questions - I was thinking what does this have to do with me doing the job, and who cares anyway?? :snork: The owner had emailed me a list of questions around 9pm the night before the interview, and I knew then that the reviews were accurate about him expecting his employees to be at his beck & call, and not allowing any work/life balance. I still feel really good that I got that first real interview over with so that shook some of the rust off and I feel good about that.

The outplacement service called me back and sent me a link to get started on their program so I am looking forward to getting going on that next week and picking up speed on the job search.

I think I overdid it at the gym on the StairMaster the other day. That machine, while I love it, is the hardest on my hips. My hips do better on the machines that keep both feet on the pedals at all times. I am going to back off the exercise for a day or two until it feels better and may have to stay away from the StairMaster for a while unfortunately, but I am learning to listen to my body. I've never enjoyed the bike but I have done it a couple times since THR and I have to admit it seems to agree with my hips so maybe I will have to switch up what I do a little.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl, the interview sounded like a good practice situation. That math question was ridiculous. I have to ask, does calculating train schedules have absolutely anything to do with the job or are they just a tad crazy?
Patooey on the no work/home life balance. Who needs that...and no benefits? Ridiculous!
I'm sorry you overdid it at the gym. That seems to be something we all do at some point (sometimes repeatedly!) during our recovery. It sure doesn't take much to do so either. Resting is a great idea.
Sending good vibes for the job search, friend! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom