THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Readysetgo I think you are right abut how the employers think they can pay the younger employees less money, but I've seen that depending on the position, many of the young ones expect to move up very quickly also, and moving up means more money. And because of inflation, an entry level salary for a young person is close to what us older workers have worked decades to attain. I've noticed they're also quicker to jump ship. The norm seems to be for the younger workers to switch companies every few years to move up the ladder quicker but it used to be where workers would stay with the same company.

I think the article you read makes very valid points about absenteeism and loyalty and such. I remember one young millennial who came to work for us for only 10 months before she left for greener pastures and one of the first things she wanted to know was how many sick days we got. When she heard the answer was "unlimited", her eyes lit up like Christmas. I have no doubt she used some of her "sick" time to interview for other jobs before she left the company. Right on about my interview shoes...they are still in the box just waiting for me to break them out :SUNsmile:

@DeepBreath I agree with you, I like myself better now and have a greater sense of self than I did when I was younger as well. I feel like I have way more to offer now than I did two decades ago. Gosh, is today really the first day of Spring?? I didn't even realize it. It doesn't seem like it with the cold temperatures everywhere but then I didn't even realize next Sunday is Easter...this month has flown by at record speeds! And it's a short week for us because we are off for Good Friday so I have to try to condense 5 days of training into 4. Tomorrow I'm gonna have to hit the ground running......it's going to be so weird going from this frenzied pace to not having a job in two weeks. I'm going to have to find something to fill my days in addition to job hunting. :yes:

I went to the gym this morning and got a little cardio workout in. I did the Adaptive Motion Trainer machine which gives my hips full range of motion and a nice gentle stretching. I huff and puff through it but boy do my hips feel amazing when I am done. I think a little mindless television is on the agenda for later today. :wink:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Hipster Girl, That Adaptive Motion Trainer machine sounds really cool. I'm going to have to google it. I wonder if my gym has one? I'm glad you got a good workout yesterday. A little mindless television sounds wonderful, after all the work you've been doing.

I hope things go well for you at work this week. Take care, friend.
 
@Hipster Girl, my goodness, no kidding about this month flying by. We're almost three months down in this new year already. Remember when you were a kid and a year seemed about a decade long? Now it seems like about a month long. :heehee:
The adaptive motion trainer sounds awesome! I think you're doing your very own PT right at your pace, friend. Good for you!
Sending good wishes for a productive week. :)
 
Hi Friends, gosh, what a whirlwind week - it positively flew by! There is so much that I still need to train on and we are running into some glitches such as IT closing this ticket or that ticket saying they've taken care of something but they haven't so the new hire doesn't have access to certain folders or programs. It's always this way when we've had a new person start but there is just no time for that now and it has been a little frustrating. The reality is we are going to run out of time without getting to train on everything but I have to accept there is nothing I can do about that. The new hires are coming back this week but the movers are coming on Thursday. Our severance packages came in the mail so I have to make time to look through that this weekend and get that turned in.

I am starting to come down with something and I can't afford to get sick right now. I'm sure all the stress is finally catching up with me but I need to hang in there a few more days.

We were treated to a nice send-off appreciation lunch this week where it got a little emotional. I have started the process of saying good-bye to people and it is very hard. I know hate is a very strong word but I positively hate good-byes; they always make me so sad, especially with people I care so deeply about. I was shopping for a card for one of my dearest co-workers who is moving and I was tearing up at the card aisle so much that I had to keep wiping away the tears so I could read the cards. I did finally find a nice card for her and a little friendship plaque she can keep in her new office. I keep reminding myself how good it is to live in this day and age with social media where it is so easy to stay connected to people. This just might be the catalyst I need to finally join Facebook so I can stay in touch with everyone. Yup, I think I am finally going to do that. :yes:
 
OH dear, I hope you aren't getting sick! Just what you don't need right now! I must laugh about the joining of Facebook, as I totally relate. I finally gave in a couple of yeas ago and joined. I don't go on often, but when I do, it's so nice to catch up with what's happening with friends and family (I even have a few Bonesmart members as friends and enjoy seeing what they're up to). I think you'll really enjoy it. :-)
 
(((@Hipster Girl))) I understand your hatred of goodbyes. They stink, pure and simple. You are in my prayers as you go through this next little bit. *HUGS*
Hey, if you can, go pick up some zinc lozenges. I swear by them when I get sick. They don't totally prevent colds, but they sure as heck shorten them and make the symptoms much easier to bear.
Good for you for releasing those tears. That helps immensely.
I agree about Facebook being a great way to keep in touch. If you do decide to join and would like a hippie buddy as a FB friend, I am available... :wink:
Hang in there and take good care of yourself, friend. You've been through so much in such a short amount of time. It's important to remember how important your well being is and to treat yourself with kindness. :flwrysmile:
 
@Cynthia777 I was :dead:in bed all day Sunday and felt pretty crummy yesterday as well but had no choice but to go to work given the circumstances. I'm feeling a bit better this morning thankfully!

@DeepBreath I actually found some of those zinc lozenges in my medicine cabinet and I do think they might be shortening this thing for me because while it hit me pretty hard over the weekend, I can tell this morning that I'm turning a corner and starting to feel better.

And yes, I could definitely use a hippie buddy as a FB friend so I will be sure to let you know when I open my FB page!:flwrysmile:

Thank you so much for all the prayers and well wishes. This week is going to be rough, not only with me leaving, but there are two other good-bye functions for other co-workers who are leaving/retiring. Good-byes do stink, they positively do. I have worked with these people for so many years, they are like a 2nd family.

On a positive note, I did force myself to go up and talk to the HR manager last week and just expressed my interest that if anything should come available in the future within the groups that aren't moving, to please keep me in mind, and she assured me she would. I asked if it would be okay if I followed up with her from time to time after I leave and she said absolutely. So it's good to leave with that door still open for the possibility of maybe one day returning, who knows what can happen in the future...
 
@Hipster Girl, I'm sorry you got so sick over the weekend. With all the work and stress, no wonder though! Sending healing vibes your way that you can power through.
I don't like to wish time away, but I do hope that this week goes swiftly for you and that the emotional parts are not too bad.
We're here, friend, with an ear or a shoulder should you need it.
Brighter days are ahead!! :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I'm sorry, I missed your updates again. I just caught up with your thread. I'm not surprised you got sick, this is such an emotional time. I'm sure there is a lot of grief over the loss of the job and people you loved. I finally joined Facebook, too. I think you will love it! You can tailor it so that you just see what you want. It's really helped me as far as looking for work, and finding out what is going on with people, career-wise. I'm so glad that you are keeping in touch with the woman in HR. I bet they would love to rehire you.

I know good-byes are painful, but it just shows how deeply you care about these people. If you didn't, it wouldn't be a big deal to part. That was really sweet of you to buy a card and gift for your co worker. Those things mean so much at times like these...
 
@Hipster Girl - I'm sorry you were sick on Sunday but glad to hear you're starting to feel better now. I will have to stock up on zinc lozenges for our medicine cabinet. Sounds like a good thing to have around.

You are going through a tremendous amount of change right now! And you're doing it with grace and strength. Good-byes are so very painful. I'm sure you will be missed very much by your co-workers.

And good for you approaching your HR manager about a position in the future and staying in touch. Who knows where that may lead!

I hope the rest of your week is smooth, easy and as uplifting and stress- free as possible! :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks @DeepBreath, the week did pass very quickly and it is now over. Yesterday was my last day at work and it was so hectic and exhausting with tons of good-byes and tears and pictures and movers coming and everything. It was very strange to wake up this morning and have no place to be but I went back to bed and slept until about 9 because I was so drained from yesterday. I am going to take this weekend to decompress before even thinking about looking for work.

Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I'm feeling better now but still not 100%. I do think my body was just plumb wore out from all the stress. That sounds good about tailoring what you can see on Facebook. I am looking forward to joining and being able to keep up with friends.

Hi @Readysetgo thanks for the good thoughts. I think the week did go pretty smoothly, all things considered. I'm just emotionally spent and utterly exhausted. I will catch up on my rest this weekend and then regroup before doing anything else on the job front. I need to take a few days just to exhale.

I really appreciate everyone's warm wishes and positive thoughts and prayers as I go through this transition. You all just blow me away with how caring you all are! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @DeepBreath and @Hip Hip Hooray! I feel so much better today. I was flat out exhausted so I have taken it easy this weekend, gotten caught up on my sleep, and physically am almost back to 100%. Emotionally, I am starting to sense I am going to have a challenge ahead. I am somewhat of a workaholic and now that I am not working, already I am finding I don't know what to do with myself to get that same sense of purpose. While I know it's natural to grieve the loss of a job, I have to be careful I don't slip into a depression. I do want to do some major spring cleaning since I haven't had time to do that yet, and I think some deep cleaning and purging will be therapeutic for me.

My church is starting a new series on faith and two of the takeaways from this weekend's message was that God uses tests to grow our faith but He always comes through for us and knows our needs. He hasn't failed me yet and isn't about to start now. I have to remember that and really internalize that truth.

I'm about to head to the gym and do a little cardio. While I was working I was always in such a hurry everywhere including the gym so I would rush in and rush out and not talk to many people. I have realized that most of my social network was at work and now that I'm not working, I have a big void where all that social interaction was. I realize I need to slow down and take the time to meet and talk to people and make friends everywhere I go, not just work. I am seeing now I need more of a work/life balance.:yes:
 
God is good! What better series would your church be starting for your situation? With your faith, I'm sure He's going to plant you just where He wants you to be (even a gym)! Keep the faith and as you said, He will not let you down. Trust, trust, trust......Sorry, although this IS Sunday, I didn't mean to start a sermon series of my own!!! :heehee:
 
@Hipster Girl, it is amazing how God puts things and people in our path to help along the way. :)
You have a wonderful outlook and such a great awareness. Just think how many amazing people are out there right now...friends whom you just haven't met yet. It's exciting!
I'm glad you got caught up on your rest and that you're feeling better. I hope your weekend weather is lovely and that the upcoming Spring brings tons of fabulous things your way! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I've got to remember to follow you, because for some reason, I don't get your updates. I know what you mean about being a workaholic. I feel like so much of my identity has been connected to my work, too. I'm glad that you are going to the gym. I've met so many nice people at ours. I'm sure you will, too.

Take care of yourself. The Spring cleaning sounds like a good idea. I need to do the same thing. I'm glad that you're feeling better. The emotional toll of this surgery and needing a new job is huge. One day at a time...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom