Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found out what "over do it" means today.
My first full work day today. Had to go to two offices so there was some driving mid-day, some walking from parking lots and through buildings, a handful of trips to the copier, etc.
Both hips, the right mostly, hurt pretty bad by the end of the day and I was SO TIRED that when I came home I immediately went to bed and slept for 2 hours.
Now it's almost 10pm so I've GOT to go to bed to try this again tomorrow. Up at 6 or so.
I still have the option of cutting the day short. We'll see.
...sigh...

I remain just a little optimistic. And only AFTER the nap. Prior to the nap when I was tired and hurting I'd have said SCREW THIS. (is that too rough?).

...sigh...
 
@DrToonz So sorry your day was so hard on you. Take a little of the advice you have given others and try to take it easy, this is a marathon not a sprint, remember that?? May want to reconsider the shorter days for now. Hoping tomorrow is better for you.
 
May want to reconsider the shorter days
It's hard. I'm running out of paid sick leave, I don't want to let my co-workers down, I'm sick of being worthless and I am bored.
Oh, and I understand the importance of time and the "marathon not a sprint" thing. It's just hard, dammit!
:)
 
I understand the boredom and the feeling that you can't do what you want to do, and yes it is a hard pill to swallow. Just remember where you were a few weeks ago and where you are now. You have come a long way and each day I am sure you get better. Sending prayers of comfort your way to help you deal with the emotional side of recovery.
 
I had an ablation back in 2011. Best thing ever. Hope this works out for you as well. Does your doctor do the cryo ablation or radio frequency one? Cryo is newer and (in my opinion) better procedure. Not the one I had, though.....it was too new at the time. But my doc uses it now.
 
@DrToonz....sorry your day was rough...I can't imagine a full days work at only 9 weeks...that must take all of your reserves...no wonder you needed a nap...Scew this sounds quite appropriate to me! Go on..take the shorter days now as I'm sure it will help you do the full days in the future ...I'm sure your co-workers understand the problem.....you've had two new hips only 2 months ago....you're being a bit hard on yourself...worthless...I think not! Bored I understand. Take it easy...! Chrissie xx
 
@DrToonz, that sounds a lot like my first days back, without the driving. Naps, ice, elevate etc. after work and take your meds (Tylenol/Aleve) during the day. I promise you it does get better. Just try to cut back on any extra walking if you can get someone else to do it. And don't hesitate to cut back if necessary to shorter days. Maybe just an hour or two?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I sense a theme:
don't hesitate to cut back if necessary to shorter days
I'm going to go back to a half-day today. That'll give me the weekend too.
take the shorter days now
I'm running out of 'sick time' at work, but I have a few more days left (I' MAY make it to August, when I get re-loaded if I go easy on them). That's another angle: I'm trying to conserve my paid time off. I need to let go of that mentality and do what my body needs me to do instead.
Thanks for the encouragement. It's helping.
 
I know how you feel ... I used up all a my time and disability has still not arrived and is not much. I tapped some retirement money at our loss to get by. I start back part-time at 8 weeks with only one hip. I also have a young family with a 7 & 10 year old, so have a very busy life anyway .... Luckily my boss has been so supportive, has hired extra help, etc. So very lucky! But I know once I go back, that is that, so I am taking it slow!! I am hoping my bad knees hang in for a while ... I can't imagine getting as much support if I do this again anytime soon.
Take it easy this weekend.
 
I can't imagine getting as much support if I do this again anytime soon.
Exactly! Here's to NOT having anything like this happen any time soon. I saved up 7 years of unused 'sick time' to cover this outage!
A 7 and 10 year-old? Wow. I bow to you. My twins are in college so I think during this whole ordeal I've seen them once for about 10 minutes and sent them money and that's about it. hehe.
 
Stamina is the biggest roadblock in this recovery. We forget just how involved going to work is - the getting up early, preparing, commuting - and that's just to get there. Then there are the hours and daily activities. Take it slow and build up. You'll get there but unfortunately there is no pushing this. Hope you can rest this weekend!
 
@DrToonz I so admire you - throughout this whole thing, you've been so honest, kept your optimism up (and a lot of times, ours), and have been so encouraging. I can't imagine how hard it must be to have both hips done at the same time. I'm sorry you had a rough day recovering from your first day at work but by now you know that this too shall pass. I don't have any advice or anything remotely like that, I just want to offer my support. Feel better
 
Wow, sounds like ½ days for a bit would be a good idea! Have a nice weekend and hope next week goes easier.
 
I am doing half days for a week and a half and then I am.full-time. I have already warned my husband that he will likely be back to full-time help around the house, as work and PT will be more than enough for me. I don't think he believes me ...
Never planned to be a mature mama, but when you marry in your 40's and become parents in your mid forties, it follows!!??! However, I never counted on joints giving out so young. Silly me, my Mom had the same as I, of course I do!
 
Hi Dr Toonz. Whoa! I take a week off and all of this happens. OK, did you convert to normal rhythm? Are you taking a blood thinner to prevent stroke? (Aspirin works well). My husband has lone atrial fib and goes in and out of it all the time. I am forever reading his pocket heart monitor. I have lots of patients in their 80's and 90's who live in atrial fib and unless you have known heart disease, it is pretty harmless, unless you form blood clots. Be sure to get follow up on that! My husband can tell when he goes into it and says he feels dizzy and tired, but some of the medications they have prescribed to help have been worse.

And now for work! I went back to work this week and worked a whopping 15 hours. ( 3 days x 5 hours). The first day required 2 hour nap followed by 11 hours of sleep. I also started PT this week, so there is an energy drain there as well. You have spent a lot of time building up your bank of sick time, so feel free to use it. You are not letting your co workers down by taking care of yourself! You are actually setting a good example. Be sure to use your walking poles for support. And, if someone has the audacity to question your temporary disability, then give them full details. It will shut them right up. However, my PT, MD And my husband have been extremely annoying by telling me that I must limit my activity. I don't get to go for mile long walks and the PT even threatened me with no work if I can't stay withinin my restrictions. Yelp!

Work is a big deal and important. It might not be as fun as a 5K, but totally counts. Give yourself credit for the effort and don't suffer a setback due to overdoing.

Your extremely annoying Bonesmart friend,
Catherine
 
Last edited by a moderator:
did you convert to normal rhythm?
I did. Cardiovert did it just as planned and not a weird beat since (a week tomorrow night)
I have an appointment in one month for an Echo-cardiogram and a stress test. A follow-up a week after that with a Cardio Electrophysiologist. He will look over the tests and approve or not an ablation. I think that it will happen. His opinion is that it's a no-brainer.
blood thinner to prevent stroke?
Still (since the surgery) doing 325mg aspirin daily.
first day required 2 hour nap followed by 11 hours of sleep
One of my first days I slept 12 hours that night. Amazing. Didn't even stir.
Yesterday, my first 8-hour day, I came home and was so agitated that I got too pissy with the DW and immediately said...I MUST SLEEP. I went and took a 2 hour nap and then that night I slept another 8-1/2 hours (last night).
today I said screw it and went back to a half-day. I've been being mellow today.
Your extremely annoying Bonesmart friend
You're not annoying at all. Helpful, actually. Any time I can hear personal experience talking, it'
 
Last edited by a moderator:
...Cryo is newer and (in my opinion) better procedure.
Interesting because the Cardio Electrophysiologist that I went to explained to me the differences between the procedures and his conclusion was that, in the right hands, the radio version was superior for lesser risk of tissue scarring. He did say that for those who were not experienced in specifically doing the RF technique, it was more difficult and that was his explanation as to why the cryo version was more commonly touted as safer. I asked how much experience he had with RF ablation and he replied 'over a thousand of them'. I was sold.
 
Boy, that is an interesting bunch of comments. My Cardio Electrophysiologist said almost the exact opposite! His feeling (and he has done a lot of the radio frequency ablations) is that the cryo process is preferable because the cold has less potential for tissue damage, especially when working near the esophagus. And, because a balloon is used with the cold, he is able to ablate areas versus points in places like the veins exiting the chamber where numerous triggers are found in a relatively small area. He likes this because it means less time for the patient on the operating table.

I guess it's the same old story......a procedure is what a surgeon makes of it and there are many routes to a successful outcome. I wouldn't give it a thought to have the RF technique. After all, it worked for me!!! Let me know what he says! I hope you're a candidate for the procedure.
 
a procedure is what a surgeon makes of it and there are many routes to a successful outcome.
Right. Even with the THR there are doctors who prefer differing approaches, right? Mine did DAA and that's all he does. Others don't. All are right.

I hope you're a candidate for the procedure
As far as I knkow I am. he has told me that i will be unless something unforeseen comes up in the stress/echo. I've had both before a few years ago with no weirdness, so I imagine it will be a go. We'll see.

Thanks for the up-vote on ablation. It is a bit scary sounding.

DrToonz.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom