THR Hippity Doo Dah!<

My nail place sterilizes the pedicure basins but also uses a new plastic liner for every client. I wouldn't have it any other way! Not worth the risk.

@orange I have mostly been on the walkers except for getting to & from the car I use the cane and a person on the other side. I have noticed, I am putting less & less weight on them so trying a few short trips with the cane by myself in the house. So far so good but I can tell I am using different muscles. I think I was scared to put all my weight on my leg and was putting a good bit on the walker so decided I need to work on that. I tried the grocery cart for about one minute and used a mobility scooter shopping.

It's really scary putting all of our weight on the new hip/leg for awhile. And who knew we had so many different muscles and in some pretty weird places if you ask me! It's good that you're starting out slow in the house at first. It took me some time before I was comfortable without the walker nearby, especially outside! No need to rush it, you're doing great! :) :-) (:

Good morning @Carriemay60 ! You have a really good start with the cane and I bet by the time the 15th gets here you'll be able to nail that walk to the doctor's office. It's just like your current goal for increasing your outside walks house by house. Add a little more everyday (inside!) with your cane, it doesn't have to be a lot to start building your muscles and confidence. You have a date and a goal and you're strong. But you know what, even if you use your walker for the visit, you're still progressing really well! And you know the rule, ice ice baby! :ice:

@SE Florida I'm afraid my surgeon would be a jerk if I had the walker. If needs must I will get to the door of the Ortho clinic in a wheelchair and do the last few steps with a cane. :rotfl: I want him to release me so I can quit physio.

Having said that, I felt like I did well on the cane yesterday and other than my blasted knee no problems today. I am considering a very short walk on the cane today outside. To keep from being tempted will just do one house or so when I get back from physio this afternoon if I still feel up to it.

@Carriemay60 That's a good idea about using the wheelchair or walker through the hospital part of your walk......then do the ole' switcheroo to the cane in his office!! I know what you mean about the surgeon. I went in for my first check on day 6 and they wanted to know why I wasn't using a cane yet!!! Seriously!?? I was so upset and it only added to my worry later, I felt like a freak or something for not being about to convert over from the walker! If you go outside with your cane, easy does it! The terrain is going to be different and you might be a little sore afterwards! Of course that suggestion is coming from a real klutz (inside or out!) so go figure!!! :thud:

I freakin' rocked it at physio this afternoon!! I got the same young practicum student as last week and when I asked him to give me pointers and exercises to help my gait, he said "well I'm not a physiotherapist ".
:headbang::gaah: So I said I said I needed that help in a bit more of a demanding tone. The other REAL gym guy overheard and quickly got in there with useful advice, do's & don'ts, weight transfer exercises and step practice. Made it clear no heroes in the 1st 5-6 weeks, absolutely no abduction, etc. I heard him mention clam shells for 6-8 weeks so repeated my beliefs on physio not hurting and he said that lots of people have that belief and he is always happy to honour it. I got dropped at the door (at my request) with my cane, used the handicapped door, walked down to gym at the back, exercises, 4 room lengths towards the mirrors, 20 steps, walked myself out to the car and into the house without anyone's help - just the cane. The experienced gym guy was very impressed with my cane walking and happy for me to transition unless I am tired. I feel like I took a happy pill !!!:egypdance: :egypdance: :egypdance:

Love your experienced gym guy! Spot on, no heroes the first 5 or 6 weeks. The body just needs time to heal. Don’t think we can do much to make it happen earlier, except give it a chance. Sounds like you are doing absolutely amazing to me. :yahoo:

Great report, glad you got the help you asked for and wanted. So happy for you, you've got this! :yes!:

You are doing great @Carriemay60 !

I love the idea of you wheelchairing it to just outside the OS office, then staging your transformation into superwoman just in time to strut in there swinging your cane. I think you mentioned a son who works in the theatre? Could he help you with a disguise?

I am sore this morning :sorry: I did 10 reps of what I think were bridges, lifting my bum up 3/4 inches with no holding them. I didn't have any pain at the time. The only other things I did was the cane walking, 3 inch step and weight transfers. The young guy had me do one quite high step leading with my op leg and it was extremely difficult - that is when the experienced guy took over and stopped me trying anymore.

Should I blame the bridges? I knew not to do those but didn't really clue in to what they were at the time. I swear, we are like a bunch of puppies following someone around that has a bone the way we chase progress. :whistle:
Needless to say, you can add me to the list of people sitting on ice today! :ice:

Oh no, sorry you are sore.:console2: Bridges may be culprit. I found starting simple squats holding on to counter helpful before attempting bridges. This go around, I’m only exercising core and glutes. Really feel like they are the main source of strength for hips. Glutes, I do at counter, making sure I don’t hurt knees. Abdominal muscles are so key. Just squeeze in and slowly let out. Can exercise in bed or even sitting watching. Hope ice has you sorted quickly.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks
Back