THR Hip replacement March 22

Thanks @Jamie. I used my Nordic poles for a number of years and used to enthusiastically recommend them to people as a fitness aid but for rehab I think something similar to the ones mentioned are probably best. As an aside - if you are using hiking poles or any sort of walking pole for 'normal' walking it is much better to use two as it keeps you more balanced whereas one pole encourages a subtle lean to the side. :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Jamie. Sorry walking poles have dominated several threads recently!
 
@Coddfish … don’t apologize. That’s what BoneSmart is all about - talking about things that work for each person (and sometimes those that don’t work too).
 
Yesterday had my 9 week post operation checkup with a member of the surgical team who said that the prosthetic hip is offset slightly which is probably causing the ongoing pain in the knee which will continue until all my muscles and ligaments adjust. Also potentially my leg might be a different length to the other one. I drove myself there, 45 minutes away, but had a lot of pain in the night with the leg going into spasm which I think was from the driving as he didn’t examine my leg. Automatic car, but just having the leg squished up in the footwell was painful.

He also said I’m still supposed to be under hip precautions, which I was told was only for six weeks but he said should be for 12 weeks.

I’m pretty fed up with being in pain all the time - taking paracetamol during the day and codeine in the evening and at night which takes the edge off but doesn’t take it away. Still having to use crutches to walk and walking very slowly. He did comment that because it was a fracture and a dislocation the recovery is a great deal slower than elective surgery ….but even so.:boohoo:
 
had a lot of pain in the night with the leg going into spasm which I think was from the driving
At 9 weeks, sitting in one position for any length of time is going to cause discomfort afterwards -- and you had to do it twice in one day. Ouch! Honestly, I couldn't even be a passenger for a long drive at that point in my recovery. I think what you are experiencing is normal.

he said should be for 12 weeks.
He's not alone. Many surgeons recommend 12 weeks. It's because it takes that long for all the muscles, tendons and ligaments to recover from the surgical trauma. It's those soft tissues that need to be strong to help prevent dislocation.

I know it's frustrating to still be in pain after two months, but it's really not that unusual. It will get better with time.

Wishing you relief soon.
 
There’s an interesting article in the reference section of this site that discusses what the body is doing over time as it recovers from a hip replacement. It talks about how, once the body has been through the inflammatory phase, it lays down collagen around the joint. First of all a quick acting collagen, gradually replaced by the permanent stuff. Dislocation risk is going to reduce over time on a sort of reverse exponential curve. In the 4 years since my first hip replacement I have never crossed my legs above the knee and wouldn’t do anything with a high risk of falling (such as skiing).
 
At 9 weeks, sitting in one position for any length of time is going to cause discomfort afterwards -- and you had to do it twice in one day. Ouch! Honestly, I couldn't even be a passenger for a long drive at that point in my recovery. I think what you are experiencing is normal.
@benne68 I don’t think I was clear in my grumbling. Although the hip does have some pain the really bad pain is in the knee and from what he said yesterday this is due to the hip being offset too much which is also causing the foot and knee to swing inward. That’s what is concerning me, as this may not improve.

@Coddfish and @Layla thanks for info re recovery time.
 
:roseshwr:Hugs coming your way :console2:

It's horrible some days and I know those feelings so well! I like it to my recovery 'doldrums'. I can imagine what it must feel like, out at sea and eager to make headway but there's just no wind for the sail and so you sit and wait at the mercy of the weather. That's what my recovery feels like some days. You and I will get through this though! Recovery is happening but sometimes it's all behind the scenes and so we don't fully appreciate that we're still moving along. You'll be off the painkillers when you're ready and that may take a while but it will happen! Be kind to yourself and remember it's still early days. Xxx
 
That type of comment would concern me as well. Was the “offset” something that the surgeon intended to do or did it just happen? I would want to know the answer to that question. If it was not intentional, it is possible that physical therapy that strengthens the appropriate muscles might help right things. But I think you need a consultation with your surgeon to get all this cleared up. If there is an imbalance in alignment, that certainly could cause pain in other areas of your body like the knee and leg. It could also impact your spinal alignment. Can you arrange a meeting with your surgeon?
 
Sorry, I missed your concern about the offset, focusing on what you said about it resolving as your muscles got stronger. Hopefully you can get some more information as Jamie suggests to clarify the situation.
 
@Deni444 Thanks for your encouragement. I'm probably especially down today as I slept so badly last night due to hip, groin and knee pain which painkillers weren’t touching. Yesterday's dr said if the pain is not better in another 3 months to speak to my surgeon.
@Jamie He said the offset was intentional for stability but now wondering if that was said as a defence comment. Possibly it will resolve with physio but seems a bit unclear at the moment. Not sure when the next lots of physio will be - I have a phone consultation with the physio next week to arrange this.
I am concerned as i know only too well from previous experiences how much one part of your body being even slightly out of alignment affects so much else.

I am due to have a bone density scan next week at a hospital an hour away but I have had to arrange hospital transport as being in a car is so painful. Apart from everything else I am so used to being independent that I'm really finding it hard to organise or accept help (I live alone)
 
I had the results of my DEXA scan yesterday and I do have osteoporosis which has upset me. :bawl:The drugs to help have all sorts of side effects including osteonecrosis of the jaw which is more likely if on steroids, which I now am on to control my low blood pressure. That steroid was only prescribed after my accident when during the two weeks in hospital I was fainting every time I stood up.
Meanwhile it’s now three months since the replacement hip and I still have constant pain in the hip and also the knee of the same leg which has very limited ROM since the hip operation, making walking difficult. At night the pain is the whole of the leg including the ankle which is swollen. Pre the fracture to the hip I was walking long distances every day, felt fit and well and now feel old and depressed. I have a physio appointment tomorrow so I hope they can at least help with the problem with the knee. Sorry for the grumble but know you all understand.
 
Aww, I am so sorry. :console2: Stopped by to wish you a happy three month anniversary and it sounds like it's anything, but happy.

Wondering if you're able to avoid the meds for osteoporosis through optimizing nutrition and taking some supplements. It may be worth looking into as a safer option. Then there's exercise, resistance training, weight bearing, strength training. All possibilities while still monitoring the situation. Possibly your physio can give you some ideas tomorrow?

I am really sorry for all of the pain you're struggling with in your hip and knee. I do hope the physical therapy appointment offers you some hope and reassurance. :fingersx:
You never have to apologize for venting here. We're willing to listen, and in many instances we understand and hope to comfort and encourage when we're able. We are here for you and want the best for you.
Wishing you a good week!
@IndigoKnee
 
@Layla
Thanks Layla. I was really shocked to get the diagnosis as although I did fracture my femur 3 months ago it was a very heavy fall onto hard ground. I will do lots of research into alternatives to the drugs. Prior to the fall and subsequent hip replacement I used to walk a few miles daily, so weight bearing exercise but didn’t do any resistance or strength training so I'll certainly look into that. As for supplements - I have taken calcium and D for many years but will look at what else might help. It’s the possibility of spine fracture that really scares me.
 
I'm really feeling for you. I can hear your distress and anxiety after recieving all that unwelcome news. It's so tough and I imagine it hit you like a ton of bricks. It's OK to feel upset, it's been a big shock. Layla offered some great suggestions for you to research and hopefully you'll find that there are alternatives to the medication. Once the dust settles, you are sure to find some solutions.

When I feel overwhelmed with future prospects, I've found it helpful just to focus on the day at hand. Kind of what can I do today and let tomorrow take care of itself. I try to be realistic about what I can and can't influence. Often without seemingly doing anything the path ahead seems to straighten out.

Sending you a virtual hug and much love :console2:
 
@Deni444
Thanks Deni for your kind wishes, advice and hug I’m still shaken by the results and currently doing lots of research so that I can be well informed by the time I get to speak to someone from the Fracture Liaison Team. I'm going to pop down to my doctors tomorrow and ask for the actual T scores so I can see just how bad it is.
I went to see a physio today about my ongoing weakness and lack of ROM in the knee (on the same side as the new hip). He was shocked that I hadn’t had any physio sooner (been requesting this for the last 6 weeks….) I was given a booklet of exercises when I left hospital but no one actually ran through them with me and it seems I haven’t been doing them correctly, and strengthening only one set of muscles. So my hip is really weak and he thinks once I strengthen the hip the knee might improve.
Really good advice to focus on the day at hand as I know I'm not good at that and will spend hours on the computer gathering info and not give myself down time to sit in the garden etc.
 
Sorry to hear about the results of your DEXA scan. I can see how that would be a shock when you had been fit and active prior to your fall. But it does give you a bit more of a root cause and should allow a path forward to be found. Hoping things improve soon.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom