THR Hip replacement March 22

And I’m sure the “bad” side effects maybe only happens to very few patients but they have to tell you about it. It’s like the antidepressants. At the end of commercial tells you maybe you will feel suicidal??? What???
I've been researching (as best as I can, as a layperson) the osteoporosis drugs for almost 20 years, which is when the first in a series of endocrinologists tried to scare me into taking them--for osteopenia. It's since been recognized that these drugs aren't appropriate for osteopenia, as that would mean a very long duration of use, which is itself a risk factor for serious side effects.

I don't believe that major adverse effects happen to "very few patients," as each osteoporosis drug has its own online support groups, with members numbering in the thousands and thousands of patients reporting the "extremely rare" effects, including osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) and atypical femoral fracture. These drugs have an extraordinarily long half-life--unlike other drugs, they can remain in your system for up to ten years. So someone having one of the "extremely rare" adverse effects is unlikely to see resolution simply upon stopping the drug. And for ONJ there's only "supportive care"; in other words, there's virtually nothing the medical profession can do to hasten healing.

Interesting that you should mention the antidepressants, as only about a week ago a public radio station featured a segment describing how many patients are finding it nearly impossible to withdraw from the drugs and some are experiencing major decreases in quality of life, e.g., sexual function, even years after withdrawal. It's not long ago that myriad antidepressants were being touted and pushed--similar to the osteoporosis drugs--on patients, despite their not particularly impressive rates of providing relief and their host of unpleasant, often intolerable side effects.
But I guess they have to say it to cover themselves from any lawsuits.
 
Very informative Fraidycat. Many years ago my primary care doctor suggested a low dose blood pressure pill. Guess that day my BP was a little elevated. I’ve never had high BP if anything it’s generally quite normal or even a little low.
In any case I never took any pills.
Don’t like taking pills. Even the oxy that was prescribed after my hip replacement I didn’t use. Took 2 pills and I was so nauseous I just did extra strength Tylenol.
 
Anyone else have/had a big indentation either side of their scar? Mine seems much worse than it was initially. I now have a 'gully' the length of the scar.
 
This is can occur following hip replacement surgery. It has to do with the way your soft tissue and any internal scar tissue heal after the trauma of surgery. If it seems worse rather suddenly or is accompanied by redness or tenderness in the area, you should contact your surgeon for a consultation just to be sure it isn’t anything serious. It is likely just your body healing in its own way. Some gently massage to the area may help the tissue to fill in more completely.

Can you post a photo of the indentation?
 
Gently massaging along the scar at this point may help make a difference as tissue is still rebuilding.
Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil. I have a small indentation on the bottom of my scar that makes it look like it was pulled too tight when closed, lol. The PA wouldn't make the best seamstress. :wink:
I hope you have a great weekend, IndigoKnee!
@IndigoKnee
 
Thanks both @Layla and @Jamie. I have my own mix of anti inflammatory oils which I have been massaging into the knee and the hip so I’ll do that a bit more vigorously! I also have coconut oil so I’ll try that. I did take a photo (with difficulty) and will try and post it.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hip replacement March 22
    IMG_4589.webp
    52 KB · Views: 49
Thanks for the photo. Your incision looks good and, unless you are having pain in this area and/or a fever, I don’t think there is anything to worry about. It can take a long time if the tissue is going to refill the indented portions, so don’t get discouraged. In some cases, it does some fill, but some recessed area remains. Our “older” bodies are just not as efficient at rebuilding collagen as we were at a younger age. But….you have a great new hip, so that hopefully is okay with you.
 
Thanks Jamie that’s reassuring. I wish I could feel happier about the new hip, I suppose I should be grateful that nowadays it’s possible to replace a smashed hip as I guess at one time after a fracture would lead to a permanent disability. I'm so grateful for the support of this group.
@Jamie
 
I wish I could feel happier about the new hip,
What is bothering you about the new hip? Is there something specific? Or is it how long the recovery is taking.?

Perhaps we can help.
 
Hi Deb @benne68
I guess I feel less than delighted to have this artificial hip because it wasn’t elective surgery to replace a worn out hip but only necessary due to the femur fracture. 4 months ago, before the accident, I was walking long distances every day on cliff paths and uneven ground and now I can only walk a mile on paved surfaces using two sticks, slowly and painfully. Actually most of the pain and restriction is coming from the knee of the same leg which has lost the full ROM that I spent so long gaining after that knee was replaced 2.5 years ago. So I hobble along feeling old. Sorry to grumble but the frustration of not being able to walk to my little bay in this lovely weather is immense. The PT says if after another few weeks there is no improvement he will organise a different sort of imaging (already had X-ray) of the knee and find out what is going on.
 
Dear Indigo
I completely understand where you are coming from. My replacement was due to a fall and subsequent fracture necessitating surgery.
I was also extremely active. I was working in a very busy restaurant 3 days a week, volunteering at a dog shelter and walking dogs each day. And keeping up with my daily life at home.
So when I needed this surgery I was also taken aback. And even though at 70 I was in great shape and active it took me much longer to recover than I had hoped. And I did have episodes of sadness and crying jags.
But I did heal.
And I have returned to my normal life. I walk 3-6 miles daily. And I can clean my house and wash my floors down on my hands and knees the way I like to clean.
So keep the faith.
We are here to listen and support you.
I did no PT except walking.
 
Thanks @myglasshalffull. That is encouraging. I suppose I have been more down about the hip as it was 'fine' before, whereas when I had the knee replaced it was pretty shot so needed doing.
I initially did no PT except walking and only started doing some a few weeks ago when it seemed I wasn’t making progress and in fact the physio is concentrating on the lack of ROM and pain in the knee.
How long was it before you were back to walking decent distances again?
 
I definitely hear your frustration, different circumstances, different knee but I know what it feels like to see a winding path to somewhere you crave to walk and not be able to walk it. I hit a pretty low point recently regarding my progress and future recovery potential. Although not as recently as you, I was active up until the last three years. Hiking 15 miles at a time, wilderness canoe trips, keeping horses, strenuous gardening all day long. I retired early to set up a small holding...

What helped pull me out of the black feelings was to force myself to stop projecting into the future and focus on the day at hand. In a way, I forced myself to stop obsessing over my recovery. To stop dreaming of the path I can't currently walk and focus on what I can enjoy doing today. As you know I can't walk very far but I can be on my feet and active. Since ditching the constant striving to get up the road, I've actually found I've become much more active around the garden. I am able to cope well with strengthening exercises and so I do these strictly every day and am improving. I'm confident the abduction exercises are improving my knee. I'm also building my core strength, I'm finding I can do some good squats now. They were a complete no, no before surgery. They triggered my knee.

I'm no expert but I know from personal experience how soft tissue issues relating to the hip have an impact on the knee. Hopefully given more time and physiotherapy your knee and hip will come back into balance. Give it time and in the meantime try and be kind to yourself. Do your physio and accept where you are at today. If you can drive, find a place where you can get close to the cliff path. Maybe drive out to Kynance Cove, park up and take a gentle stroll. You have a lot of options. Drive to the Lizard and drive down to Church Cove, sit and enjoy. It's a compromise but maybe set a goal to go exploring and enjoy Cornwall in a different way whilst you are going through a slow recovery. :loveshwr:
 
Sorry to grumble but the frustration of not being able to walk to my little bay in this lovely weather is immense
Hugs, IndigoKnee, I'm sorry. :console2:
It does seem unfair to need a new hip from a fracture, rather than arthritic deterioration like the majority of us dealt with. At least we had some time to wrap our heads around the thought of THR. Although that time can feel torturous for those prone to anxiety.
No need to apologize for venting here, you'll always find someone to support and encourage you when you need it. I do hope you begin to enjoy the progress you're hoping for. Hang in there and know that we're here for you always.
 
4 months ago, before the accident, I was walking long distances every day on cliff paths and uneven ground and now I can only walk a mile on paved surfaces using two sticks, slowly and painfully.
I do understand. I had similar frustration during recovery from my ankle surgery way back in 2012. This was long before my hip or knee arthritis started and I was a very active person. I fell down some stairs and ended up with 2 broken ankles -- one of which required ORIF surgery. I was wheelchair-bound for 6 weeks, then on a walker for another month before I could weight bear. It was a long and frustrating recovery.

But, the good news is that I did recover fully. It took longer than I hoped, but I was able to resume all my favorite activities -- hiking, cycling, sailing -- without restrictions.

You will improve, too. You will get back to those enjoyable walks. It just takes time.

Meanwhile, please keep posting about your experience -- grumbles included!. We are here for you.
 
Hi Deni @Deni444 :console2:
That was a lovely and encouraging reply, thank you. I probably can’t drive to Kynance Cove at the moment as my leg can only manage about 30 minutes in the car but I’m sure I can think of other places to drive to. You are right - I shouldn’t focus so much on what I can’t do but try and enjoy what I am able to do.

You said you used to keep horses - so did I! I had to give up about 20 years ago when my knee was so bad that not only riding but caring for my horses became too much. I'm sorry I was grumbling as it sounds like you really have had quite a bad time of it, giving up a lot of activity. Was it the arthritis that stopped you being able to hike long distances, wilderness canoeing etc?

@Layla - thanks for listening and understanding :flwrysmile:
 
I do understand. I had similar frustration during recovery from my ankle surgery way back in 2012. This was long before my hip or knee arthritis started and I was a very active person. I fell down some stairs and ended up with 2 broken ankles -- one of which required ORIF surgery. I was wheelchair-bound for 6 weeks, then on a walker for another month before I could weight bear. It was a long and frustrating recovery.
Thanks @benne68 People on here are so encouraging and really understanding. Sometimes friends and family seem puzzled that I'm still not 100% almost like they imagine I don’t want to get back to how I was! Whereas people on here do understand and often have had similar experiences. Your ankle surgery does indeed sound like a long and frustrating recovery. You all cheer me up.
 
friends and family seem puzzled that I'm still not 100% almost like they imagine I don’t want to get back to how I was!
Yes, this is so true. We've all experienced it. The fact is that it's impossible to understand what this recovery involved until you've been through it.

Funny story on this topic: A few years back, I was on a cruise with a lovely couple. The husband was using a cane and limped. His wife told me he'd just had a hip replacement 8 weeks before. She'd tried to convince him to delay the trip, but he was convinced he'd be just fine.

He admitted that he had "no idea how long this recovery actually takes!" Come to find out he was an orthopedic surgeon, who'd been doing hip and knee replacements for years.

So even the guys who perform the surgery don't understand unless they've been through it themselves. :heehee:
 
Funny story on this topic: A few years back, I was on a cruise with a lovely couple. The husband was using a cane and limped. His wife told me he'd just had a hip replacement 8 weeks before. She'd tried to convince him to delay the trip, but he was convinced he'd be just fine.

He admitted that he had "no idea how long this recovery actually takes!" Come to find out he was an orthopedic surgeon, who'd been doing hip and knee replacements for years.
:heehee: Maybe all orthopaedic surgeons should be forced to undergo knee or hip replacement!
 
We all need a grumble sometimes, no need to apologise. It's one of the bonus features of this group. We can grumble and people understand what we're grumbling about. The simple truth, is that it is hard at times.
As much as I love friends and family, most don't get it. The general attitude is, I thought you'd be better by now. I've started telling people that I decided I preferred being a quadruped because walking is so much more fun with crutches . They just don't get it, the same people who know that my other leg needs surgery and is bad, keep repeating their surprise upon seeing me, like somehow I must be doing something wrong. I keep reminding myself not to get frustrated and sarcastic with them.

Yes, it was the arthritis that put a stop to everything. Very sudden onset, although really I guess it was a case of undiagnosed dysplasia that had always been there causing a few niggles. My knee had flared up on and off for years but I would have very long periods of it being fine. The issue with my knee was a mystery, despite seeing specialists. No-one considered dysplasia.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom