THR Hip replacement March 22

Sorry to hear of your results on bone density scan. You mention steroid use which can be a culprit for onset of osteoporosis. My Mom had lung disease & was prescribed many rounds of steroids which did weaken her bones.
One med fixes an issue and another can cause something else. It’s quite a balancing act.
In any case I sure hope your physio can get you some strength back & knee pain sorted. Then you can begin to do some walking again. I am an avid walker & really disliked not being able to take my nice walks when I was in recovery.
I wish you the best.
 
Thanks @myglasshalffull. I’ve actually only been on the steroids a coiple of months, they were prescribed while in hospital as my BP kept dropping. I've always had low BP but had previously managed it without medication. Not thrilled about being on a steroid. I really hope that now I've been given the correct physio exercises I can build up my muscles. Walking is my joy and pre the hip fracture I walked several miles every day. I live in a beautiful area so walking on coast paths was one of my daily pleasures.
 
Thanks @Coddfish. Hopefully I can find a way forward without the nasty bone density meds.
 
I only did a little research but it seems that bone density can sometimes be temporarily decreased following hip replacement. Apparently particularly around the femur but this study showed that it can be restored at the one year mark.

"It is widely accepted that BMD of the proximal femur generally decreases after total hip replacement [8, 10, 14, 15]. The reason for this resorption is mainly due to stress-related remodeling during the early postoperative period."

"However, at one-year follow-up, the bone stock of the upper femur was restored and even exceeded the preoperative level. However, analyses showed changes in BMD were not explained by stem-neck angle or patient related factors."

 
@Deni444 That was SO very kind of you to do some research. Very interesting article. It does seem that best improvement was on the operated side though there was a little on the other side. They didn’t scan my operated side as said the prosthetic would upset the results. My scan was of the other hip as well as spine and arm. Hoping to get the actual report tomorrow which will show the T scores and then I can see how bad (or not) it is. It could be that I am only just over the line into osteoporosis. Hoping for the ‘just over the line' numbers!

Meanwhile I've been looking into options if I decide not to take the drug, which hadn’t yet been offered as I'm waiting for the clinic appointment. I have always walked, which of course is weight, bearing but will try resistance work and using weights. Plan to discuss that with the physio. Also, and others my be interested in this, according to US research calcium from Algae is much better absorbed that Calcium Carbonate and can even help to reverse Osteoporosis. Will look into that more and make sure its not just hype. I've taken Calcium carbonate for a number of years as part of my supplements so may change to the Algae one. Although my diet is a good wholefood one with everything cooked from scratch I have very little dairy.
 
It’s wise to look into alternatives for the osteoporosis rather than prescription drugs. I see the commercials here for that drug and side effects can actually cause a fracture! But of course the drug companies make the commercials seem so positive & upbeat and tell you side effects very fast at the end of the commercial!
And I’m sure the “bad” side effects maybe only happens to very few patients but they have to tell you about it. It’s like the antidepressants. At the end of commercial tells you maybe you will feel suicidal??? What???
But I guess they have to say it to cover themselves from any lawsuits.
You are on the right road in researching & advocating for your own health & positive results.
I wish you the best & keep us posted.
 
@myglasshalffull yes indeed the drug manufacturers often make light of side effects! We in the UK don’t get advertising for prescription drugs on TV, or at least I don’t think we do as I don’t watch TV. But certainly in the leaflets and info with the drugs it quotes them as 'rare' which is probably true but devastating if you are ones of the rare ones, as was a close friend of mine who suffered the jaw problem associated with bisphosphonates. Tis interesting in general how often a dugs side effects can be exactly the thing you are taking it for - like you mentioned about antipressants making you feel suicidal. :nah:
 
We in the UK don’t get advertising for prescription drugs on TV, or at least I don’t think we do as I don’t watch TV.
You're lucky! Here it seems every other tv commercial is hawking a pharmaceutical. And when they get to the possible risks associated with the drug, they speed it up, in monotone, so you can barely process what they're saying. They want to spend all their time on the feel good aspect, not accentuate the dreadful side effects associated with most of the drugs. This alone discourages me and makes me lose trust in Big Pharma.
 
I definitely understand the speed up thing as on commercial radio here you might get an advert for say a loan company and at the end they say SO fast that your house might be at risk if you don’t make payments etc etc that its just a gabble!
Although we as patients don’t get pharmaceutical adverts I think there is pressure on Drs to use particular brands with little 'goodies' for doing so. Saw a brilliant documentary a couple of years ago by Nan Goldin about Oxyconte and the harm it caused.
 
I'm going to watch, thanks! It looks like two separate Netflix productions on the topic.
One is "All the Beauty and the Bloodshed"and then a Netflix series titled "Painkiller"
Thanks again, Indigo Knee!
@IndigoKnee
 
Barbara Kingsolver’s novel Demon Copperhead (a modern day American reworking of David Copperfield) writes eloquently about the system that drives addiction to OxyContin (oxycodone).

Routinely given during hip replacements in the UK. Causes hallucinations and vomiting in my case, as I found out with hip replacement #1.
 
Like you I try to eat a well balanced, whole food diet and cook from scratch. I believe that the body extracts valuable minerals more efficiently from food than supplements (supplements still good). On that note, I was really interested to read that Figs are a wonderful source of Calcium and vitamin K. I'm adding them to my list. If you like nuts and figs... a honey roasted macadamia, nestled in a dry fig is a luxury treat (they sell them in Harrods Food Hall). The fantastic thing about this combo is that the macadamia is a good source of magnesium. Apparently, if you are not getting enough magnesium, your calcium levels are compromised.


 
Deni you are a wealth of information. Love it.
My partner recently had his yearly physical. He hates going to doctor. Has to go now that he’s on Medicare. In any case his blood pressure is always a little elevated due to the fact he hates being there. Right away doctor tells him he’s going to prescribe low dose BP pill. Tells doc don’t bother, I won’t take them. We donate blood together every 8-10 weeks & his BP is always perfect. Then he goes for bloodwork & a week later office calls says his cholesterol is a little high and once again would like to get him on prescription. Nope. He cuts back on bigger breakfast & returns to eating oatmeal & a banana in the morning instead. Now he’s back to normal. So much can be controlled with diet and foods that don’t have a million additives in them.
 
Thought I'd pop in and send you a hug after hearing you've had a bad day too @IndigoKnee :flwrysmile:
 
Hi IndigoKnee,
I read elsewhere you had a rough time yesterday. I am sorry :console2:for the pain in your knee, affecting your gait and your peace of mind as you worry about falling, post osteoporosis diagnosis.
It makes sense that you're worried and more careful, but hopefully as you regain strength you will lose the fear of moving around and living your life. I've read that balance and strength can improve quite a bit even in your 70's and 80's. Encouraging indeed! I hope today feels lighter and brighter. :SUNsmile: Take good care!
@IndigoKnee
 
Thanks Layla,
I'll have to try and improve my mobility, strength and balance then hopefully my confidence will also increase. When I had my knee replacement 2.5 years ago I initially felt nervous about falling but simply because it would cause pain and possibly damage the new joint. This time it feels like there is the added worry that if I fall I may break another bone. The knee replacement was an elective procedure but the hip was because of fracturing the hip/femur and I think that plus the osteoporosis diagnosis has left me more nervous.
Thank goodness for everyone on here who understand and are so sympathetic.
@Layla
 
Understandable for sure.
Kind words...and we're all here for you. :friends:
@IndigoKnee
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom