BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION THR] hip replacement gone bad<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by zinnia, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Descant

Descant junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    SO PLEASED @zinnia that you are relatively pain free and already walking on cane. What progress eh? All sounding very optimistic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    You sound good @zinnia
    I'm so happy you're back with Andy!!
    What wonderful news you're walking with the cane without pain, other than the incision, which is normal.
    Wise move with the protein, it will definitely help in healing.
    I bet this will do it, Zinnia. I think you'll get there this time :happydance: :yay:
    Please give us the exact name of the procedure so it can be added to your signature.
    Sending love and big hugs! :loveshwr: :friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. zinnia

zinnia senior

I am feeling good. Some additional pain in the groin when walking. Icing now @Layla. Yes, Andy is great. He expects me to only need him one more week and then. . . ? We'll see. I'm truly not ready to go back into out patient PT. I will be seeing OS about that time and we will talk. But I have exercises and equipment that James gave me when I left. I have some time with my insurance but just a handful of days I can save for a brush up in a few months. I am not yet using the cane that much in house but am taking a couple of short walks today and I'll use them then. I use my rotator walker because when I walk I usually am doing some sort of task. No more than 10 minutes up at a time though. I am being careful to rest more this time around. :loveshwr::flwrysmile:

I am pleased so far @Descant, :hi:yes indeed I am. But the groin pain, though not bad at all, disturbs me. I keep busy keeping up with my protein grams. And watching Midsomer Murders! :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Layla

You're doing it @zinnia This time will be Golden!:happydance:
    Love :loveshwr: hugs :friends: and prayers :praying: for the weekend.
    Yay for the power of protein :yay: You're going to be a protein expert soon! :heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. clodaghcov

clodaghcov member

@zinnia What an exhausting and painful time you have been having, you really do need a break from discomfort. Extra protein is wonderful I actually got to enjoy the protein drinks in hospital! it was when they told me to have eggs every day I struggled! I do hope the weekend is peaceful for you,relax and think of wonderful things and I hope your energy will gently recover, hugs and lovexxx

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. zinnia

zinnia senior

I really don't think it has an official name Layla; it's just what the OS did to the incision and the replacement joint. I guess you'd call it a "debridement of incision and partial revision. I guess Josephine or Jaycey would have to check it before it is added. It may, technically, be another revision even though the joint didn't come out it was partially rebuilt. I am not in a worry about having anything else added but it was another experience! Is another experience. :rotfl:

7. zinnia

zinnia senior

Thank you so much @clodaghcov for the commiserating words; it's been another trial to be sure. I don't know how I have displeased the goddesses but I hope the excess of protein makes them happier. I make shakes or smoothies for myself. They go down easy and gets a lot of fruit in me. I don't do the veggie ones. Rather eat the veggies.

It helps to have BS folk who know what this hip/knee replacement stuff is all about. It's not for the faint of heart:chinstroke: for sure.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Margie10

Margie10 junior member

Australia Australia
    Hi Zinnia I've been following your story, which sounds so harrowing. I hope you are having an enjoyable relaxing weekend.
    I enjoyed your choice of entertainment we have been watching Midsimer Murders and Foyles War over the past few weeks!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. zinnia

zinnia senior

I am still doing well. I see Andy again Monday, 3x next week. And then I think he's going to let me go. I don't have a groin pain or at least it was gone yesterday. The little pains around the incision are minimal. The dressing looks great, no shadowing. I don't want to go back into out patient PT. When I left they gave me all the equipment I need and the exercises to do. I will only do those I know are appropriate and feel right. They are all very gentle but they have helped me with balance, posture, strength and gait so they will be continued eventually. The thing that real makes me pretty darn angry is I can't drive and I had been given full garden privileges! I am not back to square one though and that feels promising.

I am a high protein diet and I am managing 50 -100 grams of protein on 4 -5 meals a day. That is working out well; no empty calories. I try not to think about what happens if I don't mend well and start draining again or worse. Not out of the woods yet! But hopeful. :giggle:

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Layla

Sounds like you're doing well, @zinnia
    When do you think they'll release you to drive? :driver: At least you can garden while you're waiting :flwrysmile:
    You're doing great with the protein! I wish you weren't troubled by the "What ifs"
    What if, this time is the charm? What if, this is the last surgery you ever have?
    What if, you don't worry your pretty lil self over it? Lol! Enjoy the day, enjoy the week, enjoy life!
    I believe you know how to do that. Wishing you a fabulously fantastic week! :loveshwr:

11. zinnia

zinnia senior

Good morning Miss @Layla! Raining here and cold! The spring flowers and trees are loving it.

I see the OS or PA next week and all the questions about driving, etc. will be answered. But I am back on restrictions so I think gardening is out for awhile. I am already walking unassisted for short periods so I really have not lost all the gains. The only nagging bit is if the darn thing is healing? No way to know without a symptom. All is fine so far.

I get tired pretty fast. Today will be a slow one with lots of rest and short spurts of activity. We had a guest for dinner last night. An arrangement made before these last 2 surgeries. He is the husband of a couple we are friends with. He is early stage Alzheimers with wife in England for a week. Husband cooked and did everything but set the table and I was exhausted at 8:30. And thus the plan to rest much more today.

Thank you for your kindness and for always sitting on my shoulder with words of compassion and understanding. Believe me I am grateful to just be alive and see the beautiful "new" daffodil in my garden. I didn't plant these daffodils; the former woman who lived in this house did and every year more come back. This is a "new" one because we have had an amazing daffodil spring. I think of her and have a conversation in my heart with her about all her daffodils and I thank her for the joy she has given me. She and I are buddies. And I count on you so much too, Buddy. It's a great responsibility for you to keep us all afloat through thick and thin. But you do it with such grace. Love and hugs for a glorious week. :angel:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Layla

Aaah, sweet Zinnia...I understand your worries and concerns, you've had some unfavorable experiences.
    All you can do is pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again....just like the song.
    You're learning something through each of these experiences. First you learned you don't need aggressive PT.
    This time you're learning you may need to fit in more rest in the beginning for maximum effect later.
    Possibly the diet piece is new for you. Incorporating protein for optimum healing. Let's have faith that with all you've learned and are applying...healing will happen. You mentioned tiring easily. Good! Make sure you don't ignore that. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping. So sleep whenever you're able.

You're tired because your body IS healing. Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. So enjoy naps. They're doing your body good!

Look at that "new" daffodil as your "new" beginning. It's not going to happen overnight. Patience dear, Zinnia. With patience, perseverance, encouragement and love you'll get there. We're here, I'm here. I think you know by now your stuck with me, lol! Prayers this is a good day! :prayer:

Big love and hugs! :loveshwr::friends:
    @zinnia

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bumblebee

Bumblebee senior

:hi: Zinnia! I share your love of spring, flowers and the garden! When I am in the garden it takes me to a magical place where troubles are gone. Since I was unable to work in the garden after surgery I resigned myself to watching gardening shows on youtube. Spring is in the air and the wildflowers are a bloomin here:happydance:
    Hope you continue to make progress in your hip journey.:friends:.....you just reminded me....must plant some ZINNIA seeds in the garden.

• Like Like x 1
  14. zinnia

zinnia senior

Hi @Bumblebee. So nice of you to drop in. Such a good idea to watch gardening shows on youtube. Thanks for the idea. I am doing that his afternoon. It's been a so of wild day. . .hair done finally (husband drove me and picked me up). I am wearing him to the nub; but it just rolls off his shoulders.

Where are you in California if you don't mind my asking. My husband lived in San Diego for quite some time. He's told me about the flowers that bloom in the dessert if there is a rain at the appropriate time.

I (we) planted 3 plants just sprouting of butterfly weed to hopefully help the Monarchs out. I am planting zinnias in between to help the bees out. I have some hollyhocks I want to plant at the edges of my rose arbor too. I am still on restrictions. No breaking the 90degrees, but I can sit on my rolator seat and I have special tools that can expand to 3' or go back to about 2'. They keep me from breaking restrictions. My husband does what I can't.

How are you doing? Are you healing well? I will go to your site so I can follow your progress. Meanwhile, keep up the good work and plant zinnias. It will make for a happy day. :SUNsmile: :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Layla

Hi @zinnia
    I love that you have the rotator seat for gardening and the special tools.
    It may not feel the same with the restrictions but at least you're able to partake.
    Still waiting for all the snow to melt here and at least reach 50 degrees. It's coming....I know it is.
    I hope you're hanging in there. Sending hugs, love and wishes for a great rest of the week! :loveshwr: :friends:

16. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Just caught up on your latest @zinnia. Such trials you have been having. It sounds like they and you may have it under control now. I’m so glad you have a doctor who was thorough. Hope your healing continues.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Spring revives my spirit...I hope you are feeling less anxious and sounds like you are following all doctor instructions to the tee to inside best outcome.
    Have you on my mind...hope today is sweet!:loveshwr:

18. zinnia

zinnia senior

It is the beginning of the afternoon @Mojo333 and we are going to start the annual process of spraying off the green pollen stuff from our screen porch. It is about 70 degrees here now. I' like to get in some more planting today too but before we start @Layla, I have to take my walk of the day. I'll do it by myself and the cane; up to the end of the street.

I think everything is under control @MammaT. We just hope healing takes place this time and I think it will. No drainage so far from the incision. The post op bandage comes off Monday and we will see then what we have. I am eating a huge tuna salad sandwich for lunch. OS says protein at every meal and that is what I am doing plus a whey shake in the pm.

I have good spirits and we're just moving on. I am walking more on my own around the house. I think we are making the first trip out to a music event tomorrow night. We'll see. It will be Andy's last day and he is leaving me with exercises. He declares my ROM as improved quite a bit. I seem to have pretty much picked up from where I was when I went into the last surgery. It hasn't set me back much. I see the PA on Monday and see when I stand with the restrictions.

Have a glorious weekend snow, rain or sun. . .I think it may be spring. :wowspring::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@zinnia What a great update! You have really turned all this around quickly. Happy you are back on track for Spring!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Layla

You sound great! @zinnia
    Partaking in household chores, puttering in the garden, talking easy walks.
    It sounds like you're doing really well with the extra protein. I'll bet when that bandage
    comes off on Monday you'll be pleasantly surprised. Wonderful news you're feeling caught up to where you were two weeks ago.

Loving that you're in good spirits. I hope you're looking forward to your doctor visit on Monday.
    Enjoy the music event tonight and have a fabulous weekend!
    Big hugs! :loveshwr: :friends: