Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

I had a general last year for a 3/4 hour surgery and felt absolutely great afterwards @zinnia. Much better than after my spinal. It sounds as though your OS is being very thorough and I think that you can get some comfort from that. It’s just so dispiriting for you to have another piece of bad luck to battle with. That’s why it’s so charming that you’re still interested in other people’s progress. Sending healing thoughts your way.
 
:hi: Thinking of you....
Hope all went well today and you're able to take a deep breath and relax.
Wishing you a peaceful Easter weekend spent with those you love.
Sending warm hugs and big love! :friends: :loveshwr: :roseshwr:
@zinnia
 
Prayers for you @zinnia . We have Good Friday service @ Noon here. Hopefully, you will be wide awsaw and eating a nutritional, mouth watering supper/dinner. It will be 6PM in your time zone. My grandson will be coming over. I will check on you 1st thing when I get home. I will check on my culture results, too. My hole, whatever it should be called, is sorta looking better. I am blessed to have a husband that can help with those things that make me a little woozy. Only when they are on or in me. I hope you have the same help. Or that you don't need it. If you have the same 'suture abcess' then at least I have learned it is only a bump in the road.
 
Thinking of you and wishing you a peaceful weekend. Lots of love coming your way.
:loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
To All You Dear People on Bone Smart,

News is, there appears according to blood work, no infection; blood work is sterling, in fact.

Other news but oh so naturally, WEIRD! I am calling in @Josephine on this one and hoping to hear what she thinks.

I am in the hospital and will be until Sunday, may be even Monday. OS thought it was an suture abscess but after almost 2 hours it was clear it was not as the drainage went to the bone. The cup itself is soundly bone ingrowth but he changed out the additional parts and the ball and drained all the excess fluid up to the the outer layers of skin. That fluid had found a way out at the incision. Samples taken for the lab and we shall see about those. The OS is honest is saying he has no idea except that the healing did not occur from the inside out for some reason. The incision healed in good time no problems there. Time will tell if this will solve whatever problem there is. Anyone else have any ideas?

I feel fine; a little pain 4 or 5. Took a Percocet about a 1/2 hour ago and it is kicking in. The pain is at the incision site only. I could get up an walk out of here if I wanted. I'm really fed up now @Mojo333 and really pretty saddened by this whole thing. But I'm not going to let this beat me especially with you guys hanging in there with me. I need you @Layla, my dear girl. All of you, I need you badly right about now; not too proud to admit it.

It seems like an after thought, but it isn't. . .Have lovely Easter weekends Every One! And love to you All.
 
Since I am not a medical person, it all seems a bit confusing to me but it sounds like you are in good hands with a caring OS. Hopefully a short hospital stay will resolve everything and you will be back to a normal recovery. I feel bad that you have had to endure so much. It doesn’t seem fair. But I feel like you are a strong lady and that you will persevere until things are right. We are all out here rooting for you and praying for your recovery. Get some rest. Tomorrow is a new day. :yes!: :roseshwr:
 
Well, Nancy, I don't have the medical knowledge, but am definitely glad there no sign of infection. That would have been a much worse outcome because it would likely have required a couple more major ops. Maybe just draining everything out will be the impetus for that inner healing to take place. Just take it easy and rest. This procedure sounds like it will restart part of your recovery, but I'm going to hope and pray that the 4th time's the charm!

Thinking about my favorite butterfly! :loveshwr::flwrysmile::loveshwr::flwrysmile::loveshwr::flwrysmile:
 
I'm here, Zinnia. I'm not going to leave, promise I'll be here for the long haul.
I'm so very sorry that these struggles continue for you. But....maybe this is the beginning of the end.
Possibly when this gets sorted you'll move forward and not have to look back.

Let's be thankful there is no infection. What you describe explains the continual soaking of the dressings you'd place over the area. It's difficult to understand the explanation of healing not taking place from the inside out. I hope Jo can shed some light on this.

I'm thankful your pain is tolerable. I hope you're able to rest comfortably tonight. Try not to be sad, I know easier said than done but getting to the root of the problem may lead to a better recovery than you've experienced thus far.

You have a lot of support and encouragement here and there are a lot of prayer warriors on this forum currently. Many lifting you in prayer for healing. We're here and we'll be here so come by as often as you need to for support and encouragement. You'll be in my thoughts, sweet Zinnia. I'll be praying for your strength, comfort and complete healing. Sending lots of love and warm hugs your way :loveshwr: :console2:
@zinnia
 
My dear, sweet, @zinnia . I believe I have what we were hoping for you: suture abcess. I was feeling down last night when my DH removed the packing and it hurt. And the water in the shower was too hard and it hurt again. I feel very selfish and weak. I will not forget you in my prayers. We, here on BS, are all watching and waiting and absolutely not forgetting you. :flwrysmile: Hugs:friends:, Prayers:praying:, and Love:loveshwr:
 
@zinnia I am sending you powerful healing thoughts, one feels helpless reading about all you have been through. You are an incredibly giving person on this site, and you deserve to receive back all the sound advice and reassurance you have given to so many others, most especially myself in my early days of being traumatized because I had just learned I will need a revision also. It has to be beyond beyond frustrating and heartbreaking, I just can't imagine. But I absolutely can imagine you getting well, and keeping that spark of intelligence and wit that shines through in all your posts. We are all following your thread and rooting for you (can you hear the loud cheers of encouragement?). I will be interested to see what Josephine has to say. I wonder what kind of wound care might be called for this time around, if there will be a different approach somehow so that you can get this gently sorted out and move forward again...

I hope you have someone who can be your advocate and ask your doctors the complicated questions to the extent you are too exhausted to do so, and if you have the energy to ask, all the better of course. I also hope your OS is coordinating with your primary care/other physicians, too, to make sure there aren't any underlying things that might help to explain this kind of issue but which the OS is not necessarily aware of -- might be unlikely, but I am always surprised at how infrequently some doctors communicate with others, and even though so much data is kept about us, I would want that kind of communication to just make sure they have covered all bases. But to the extent the cause of this issue is not a knowable thing, it is the season of renewal, and I am hoping only for good news for you in the longer term as you start healing again.
 
Relived for you that the blood tests didn’t show an infection. Sorry to hear that you’re in hospital. Hopefully they’ll be able to sort out the problem and put you back on the road to recovery. You are in my thoughts and prayers. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Oh my stars...good news for no infection. Aggravation and upset for having what is "apparently" a unique situation. Normal recovery would be nice, right?
Don't have any idea what causes that to happen. Hopefully Josephine will have some insight!
Life forces a journey that carves it's own road (borrowed from author Disch) and you only get to be captain of your destination as far as setting it's course and at times just holding on and weathering the storms.
Guessing you are weary of the storms..but please know we are wrapping you in virtual hugs, our dear Zinnia.
If I could, I'd bring you a nice dye-tinged boiled egg, and some daisies and keep those hospital folks on their toes.
I may be permanently banned from our local hospital:nah:after a series of missteps by staff when dad was there all last week.
That's why I have to be super careful not to end up there until they forget who I am:heehee:
Sending all the good mojo I have.
We will get this behind us too! I believe!:angel:
 
Such a relief that your blood work is showing no infection @zinnia. Also it’s a good sign that you feel as though you could just up an walk out of hospital. You’re too well brought up to do that! It would be surprising if you weren’t feeling so desperate, but from how you tackle things you will soon be able to cope, especially when you have the complete picture. As Layla says, hopefully this will turn a corner for you.
 
To All you beautiful Souls: It is indeed @Descant and @Jackie222 and others that the blood work shows no infection; even the blood taken this am. But the OS wants to see @Mojo333 what the samples taken from surgery show on Sunday or Monday before sending me home. I begged, but it doesn't work on this man. Bottom line, @AgilityDog, it is not a normal reaction and he will be watching closely how this plays out. The thinking here is that as the 3rd surgery was just too much in 2 years to take for tissue and muscle so the area is putting up a healing fuss and that the deep washing out will not only protect against infection but also assist in it healing now. When are you getting your results?

I am so sorry to hear in your post, Mojo, that your dad is having such a tough time. But as your quote (which I admire too; thanks for that) says: it's how we respond to a difficulty that is more important than the difficulty itself.
Best Wishes to him and dearest love to you in this season and always.

Happiest of Easters to All. I have this stupid thing on my left 4th finger to deal with here or this would be longer.:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
@chalcedonian1 Thank you for all your wise advice; I do indeed have an advocate in my husband and I am much more in touch today with the situation today than yesterday. And I do hear my cheering section on BS and it matters so much to me. The support given is essential to my recovery as I move forward. And that is the direction in which I am moving.

I too am frustrated and in full knowledge that despite cyber space separated offices handling medical issues on't seem to be able to function as a whole history. I must have listed 12 times the medicines I take on any given day or hour pre-op. Yet the pharmacy involved or medical offices could not get the prescriptions ordered to the hospital. So I had none pre-op until about an hour ago and only because the nurses raised hell and damnation. Then they aren't ordered for the times you take them. Yet they give them am and pm! Go figure. How hard is that? I called my poor exhausted, sleeping husband last night to bring me my restless leg meds because I couldn't sleep (and didn't). I ended up saying I had #5 on the pain chart (lied) so could have a couple of Percocets!

How are you doing? Wishing you a Happy Easter. Hugs from me and flowers. :flwrysmile:
 
Love you too, sweet Zinnia :flwrysmile:
My mom is doing well. Thanks for asking. More importantly right now...I'm wondering about you.

I hope they're treating you right there. I'm praying and holding out hope this
is going to do the trick and get you back on track. The general consensus on why this occurred sounds plausible. The prognosis sounds believable also. I'm happy to hear you like your OS. It sounds a though he'll leave no stone unturned. That's what you need.

Prayers still going up all is well with the results you're waiting on. I'll bet the Easter Bunny will visit the hospital so you probably won't miss out on much if you're stuck there :heehee: You and hubs can share a meal and talk about how wonderful your Spring and Summer will be as you put this behind you and move forward.
Thanks so much for updating. I'm thinking of you often. Love and big hugs to you! :loveshwr::friends:
 
@zinnia What they are saying to you about this actually makes a lot of common sense -- if your inner tissues have been disturbed so frequently over a 2 year period, I can imagine it being more difficult to heal well--and let's face it, none of us are young Olympic athletes who can withstand 3 or 4 surgeries over a short period of time with little repercussion. And since you were (relatively) pain free and moving about so much, it was probably such a shock to you to see that fluid draining out. It is probably better for you to be in the hospital right now, and I can't imagine they are encouraging you to be flying around too much! Glad you have gotten your meds straight now too. It is always those details that annoy and crop up when you can least deal with them.

I don't want to take over your thread, but to answer your question about me, I have finally decided on the hospital and revision surgeon, and it will hopefully occur the first week of July. I am working on many unrelated loose ends beforehand, and it took a lot to make the decision of where and when etc, but I have now made it. So hopefully onward and upward.

Back to you--be gentle on yourself, your poor body needs time to heal, perhaps longer than you or anyone else could have anticipated. You got beyond that pain from the implant with your November surgery, and now your only task is to let yourself heal, damn the delays on the other side, like learning how to have a better gait or walking a farther distance or not being able to dance a jig or whatever. It will come, and successfully doing a task a few months later than you might have expected will have little consequence if the end result is satisfactory enough. The only job is to heal --then you can work on mechanical and stamina issues. (It took me two+ years to be able to get out of a chair and start walking without a limp, even with the loose implant! All of a sudden I could walk a far distance, but always with some kind of pain. Even now there are times I can do all of this without a noticeable limp. It just took so much longer than I thought it would. And I will have to learn all over again, but 'them's the breaks' I guess.)

No infection so far is a HUGE gift (which sounds odd I guess given your distressing circumstances), and one I am sure you have gratefully accepted, but I remember waiting for my results. I told myself all kinds of things: if the results came back without an infection, I would stop complaining, wouldn't feel sorry for myself (self-pity always has its place), I would have the revision done, I would be thankful I found the reason for the pain, "but please oh please... do NOT be infected" was the mantra I continually said to myself -- I was ready to make any bargain with the devil at that point. If it happened, I would deal with it too, but knew what I would have to do in that case, and a "plain" revision still seemed somewhat "less complicated" than an infected implant and a revision. So, not to in any way diminish what you have going on, but so far I am thankful for you that no infection has been spotted. Truly, you will have this one job to do until it is done -- heal--and you will need to release yourself from worry about all those other mechanical issues that crop up (obviously so long as not related to a real internal problem). Glad your husband is there to help, you sound sharp as a whip and I am sure you will be glad to go home whenever they send you. In the meantime, give yourself a dose of patience and wisdom that you so kindly have given others, and I hope your Easter will be a good one, all things considered.
 
Gosh @zinnia - I am so sorry your saga continues! At least your surgeon is honest with you and he really does seem concerned that you get the best care. Sending you healing ((((((((((vibes)))))))))!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom