BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION THR] hip replacement gone bad<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by zinnia, Jun 25, 2017.

1. zinnia

zinnia senior

United States United States
    Hi @Layla, wondering how your mom is doing. :hi:

2. zinnia

zinnia senior

Yesterday, a bit heavy but managed an early evening at a neighborhood brewery to hear an amazing music group, a wild and wonderfully inventive group. No beer, club soda with cranberry and a lime squeeze is a lovely drink. My calories go into baked beans (protein). Beautiful evening here, warm and bright. I made it to 8:30 and had to come home to a snack and relaxing with our T.V. episodes from Spain.

It was Andy's last day @Layla. He said he is telling the OS there is nothing more he can do with me I was coming along so well and he thought I could handle my own PT at home because I know what to do and have the equipment and the determination to do it.

I am going to plant (not breaking the restrictions EVER) a bit today. I am a bit distressed, @Jaycey, that I have the restrictions again and can't move enough to really tackle the garden issues. But I don't want to dislocate! Not on my life.

It's a beautiful spring day here today. I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    A temporary situation - you will be back to full on gardening soon. Just a bit more patience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

That sounds like a fun night! @zinnia
    I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it. Even your nightcap of a snack while watching your t.v. episodes from Spain sounds lovely. You're enjoying life, so wonderful to read!

Don't know if you caught JRAD. I enjoyed it. Very informative.

I'm sure you were sad to part ways with Andy but I trust he knows what's best for you and his recommendation fits well with the BoneSmart way. It seems to be working for you also.

I hope you had a lovely day outside in the garden :flwrysmile:
    We're in the midst of a Winter blizzard. Not even kidding :snow plough:It's okay though because I know it won't last!
    Sending lots of love and big hugs! :loveshwr: :friends: Hope your evening is peaceful.

5. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi: Thinking of you and wishing you a wonderful Sunday.

6. zinnia

zinnia senior

Post op dressing came off last night and all looks good. No bleeding, no drainage at all. OS put staples in this time. Don't know what that means. He used "glue" last time. I'll see him Wednesday 8:05am, 0 dark 30 for us. I guess he may take out the staples?

I managed to plant some zinnia seeds (what else?) just before it rained @Jaycey. I get my back up once in awhile having to be patient. But, of course, I know it's true.

So sorry about all that snow @Layla. We just had the rain and now it's getting colder. Makes for a longer spring though. Will see if the OS agrees with Andy along the PT line. I don't think Medicare is going to pick up the tab any more though. . .maybe TriCare kicks in. Have to see.

Just got back from having lunch with friends and wished I could drive. Maybe he'll let me. I'm not on pain meds. . . .no pain! Lovely Sunday, Saturday and Monday too @Mojo333. Every day is wonderful unless I'm feeling a bit put out because of the restrictions AGAIN. (You didn't hear that, Jaycey.)

Lovely week to you All. Make a snowman, Layla. How is your mom? How is your dad, Mojo? :curtsey:

• Like Like x 2
  7. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

I think of you often when I'm out dancing - band this weekend did a good rendition of "Give Me Your Best Shot" and made me hope my favorite butterfly was having a good weekend. Great update! It sounds like this was just a minor speed bump along the way and you're recovering nicely. i hope you're able to get all of the restrictions lifted soon! I can tell you're doing a bit of this :good-bad: and would rather be doing a lot of this :flwrysmile:. You will soon, though, and this nice long spring (is it even spring? Snow flurries in St. Louis today) means you should have plenty of time left in the garden.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Mojo333

Zinnias are some of my favorite flowers, mainly because I haven't got a green thumb and they are hearty AND heat resilient...HEY!
    You resemble that description!
    When I lived in Texas, they were the only flowers that wouldn't die on me...and bloomed and bloomed and bloomed!
    Dad is struggling as they are trying all procedures to rid of him off his afib and nothing is helping. Some adjustments in meds and another possible ablation is their only plan as of now...and he isn't doing well.
    Just don't know what else to do right now...this has been a 3 year quest. I just pray!
    Glad that wound is healing up AND hope you have another great day.:tada:

9. Layla

Hi @zinnia
    Hope you're having a good week so far. It's great news to hear the dressing is off and all looks good!
    I'm anxious to hear how your doctor visit goes tomorrow, please give us an update afterward.

I can only dream of planting flowers at the moment. Things are looking up though. We'll finally hit the 50's this coming weekend and the snow will melt with the predicted sunshine. Average high this time of year here is 60 so at least we're finally moving in the right direction :yes!:

I'm happy to hear you describe your days as lovely, it's heartwarming and positive. Hopefully tomorrow the OS makes your day and lifts the driving restriction.

My mom is doing well, moving forward, thank you for asking. Best wishes for a great day and a good visit with the doc tomorrow!

Hugs and love to you:friends: :loveshwr:

10. zinnia

zinnia senior

Wonderful to hear from you all. I would love to watch you dance @SaraK. Dancing is one of my favorite things too. . .gave my husband lessons in the tango in the year we first met and we tangoed for a while. My hip was already bothering me and he was better than I was anyway. But we dream we will do that again. . .the 8 famous steps!

I will take a peek today to see if the zinnias are up; it rained a nice but chilly rain over the weekend and has been chilly since so I don't expect to see anything. The first white iris, so lovely, made it through the storm as we all do @Mojo333, one way or the other. My husband had A fib too several years ago and the first ablation worked for him. They did it near by at Duke University. But they do it here now too. I am hoping something will work for your dad soon. It makes for a scary, unnerving business.

It is too windy here for a walk outside today so we are taking a shopping trip to Walmart and that will be my walk. Exercises, a few light ones, when I get home. More dressings for the "wound". I made a mistake, @Layla, the appointment with the OS or PA is not until tomorrow. Let you know how it goes. I doubt he will lift the restrictions or let me drive. I haven't finished the 3rd week post op yet. I have started to walk without the cane but I can't give it up yet. . .it's one of those darn plateau things. I guess I'll get by it but this wind is pretty high here today, gusting to 25 knots or more. It would knock me over if I turned a corner.

Wishes for a warm and springy weekend to you all. Hugs all 'round. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile: Let there be flowers!

• Like Like x 2
  11. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

Most of my dancing is nothing special (except for how it makes me feel). Let's just say, though, that I dance energetically and get a good cardio workout. Once a get a better handle on swing dancing (I've only been doing it once a week for about 3 months and not even every week) I would love to learn ballroom dancing. There's a group that does lessons each week at the same place/time as swing dancing.

I hope they surprise you and let you start driving. You may be in 3rd week after latest procedure but it sounds like you're much further along now compared to after the revision.

Hoping for spring to finally arrive here! In addition to the January 89th jokes, I've heard more than 1 person say Mother Nature is off her bi-polar meds. We had 3 days in 70s and 80s at the end of last week and snow flurries yesterday. Thankfully not the snow/blizzard Layla got, but I'm ready for this to be done. I just hope we get some spring before the sweltering heat of summer arrives!

12. zinnia

zinnia senior

Didn't break freezing last night but the mid 30's. April 15th is our last frost day! I wouldn't plant any tomatoes out there yet. I used to, in days gone by, do Jazzercise, dance routines for exercise. I loved it. Dance away, you there on those Super Path hips. Nature is doing her own dance here, I think it's a salsa of some sort @SaraK, the sun was bright and warm but the wind was heavy and cold. Don't know what's she on.

I am sitting on ice tonight for the first time since the last revision/surgery. Have a sort of pain which seems to be growing around the hip, top of the femur. . .started as a sort of pressure, then some needle pricks, now some aching. I have been up a bit more than usual today. More than 20 minutes at a time, walking, shopping, cooking and I'm done. Disappointed that the pain free didn't last.

Happy Days, Everyone. :SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Layla

Hi :wave:
    You were up more than usual today though, Zinnia
    So try not to worry. I'll bet icing and sleep will do the trick.
    Lots of healing still to happen.
    Hope you have a comfy night! @zinnia

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Bumblebee

Bumblebee senior

Rest up my fellow gardening friend. Watch those garden videos on YouTube until the pain subsides. :flwrysmile:

P.S. I just planted some zinnias too...well actually I passed the seeds to my hubby who dug the holes and planted them. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

@zinnia, as the President of the ODIC, let me extend my personal welcome to you as a new member! With all due respect to @Mojo333 our motto is "Just because you shouldn't doesn't mean you can't." I'm no expert but it sounds like you just did a little too much too soon and those hip flexor are reminding you of their existence. I've had enough issues with mine from time to time!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Mojo333

Sometimes we have no way of knowing what will be too much too soon.
    :oyvey:Most complaints, stemming from over activity or certain movements that don't agree with our healing bodies, should probably be met with the knowledge that this is our body's way of saying...not yet! not helpful!
    Reminds me of the old narrative..."Doctor, it hurts when I do this"
    "Well then, don't do that!"

I'm sure you are taking it easy and feeling better already, Zinnia.
    It is an up and down journey for sure. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Layla

Saw this one on a sign back in December - "PAIN IS YOUR BODY ASKING FOR CHANGE"

Enough said. I hope some ice, rest and sleep has you feeling better today @zinnia
    Love and hugs to you! :loveshwr: :friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. zinnia

zinnia senior

So here is the report from visit to the OS. X rays came first. PA said they looked magnificent. He said nothing cultured and the contaminate just sat there and did nothing. So blood and other samples came through with flying colors with not a hint of infection. Good news to say the least. He looked at the incision and announced it "beautiful" but to be on the safe side, he would have the NP take out every other staple and come back in a week for the rest and to check the "wound" (I like to call it "the wound") again. I can drive!!!!!!!! I don't take any pain medication so if I am strong enough, he says, go for it. But restrictions stay on for awhile yet. I am snapping back pretty well. The NP said the OS asked if he wanted to sit in on my surgery and he said it took about 15 minutes, in and out that quickly. The PA did tell me that the ball was replaced as well as the liner just to be sure. Onward and upward @Layla. What do you think @Mojo333? :happydance::yay:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Layla

What wonderful news! Has to make your day @zinnia
    You're right.....It is a wound, I called it a gash :heehee:
    I can't imagine that appt going any better....so great to hear this news!

Yay for driving too :driver: Looks like you're on your way.
    Take it slow. Don't want to see you suffer any setbacks. Keep up the protein...it's all coming together.
    Love and hugs! :loveshwr: :friends:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jackie222

Jackie222 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Great news. So pleased for you

• Friendly Friendly x 1