Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

I'm glad the heat worked for you @zinnia. Enjoy your quiet New Year's Eve!
 
@zinnia im so happy to hear your recovery is going so well so quick. My OS said I’ll be non weight bearing for 4-6 weeks after my revision on the 9th. I wonder what the difference is. He has also discussed inpatient rehab. I’m dreading this but I’m in constant pain due to femoral head shifting. Any other advice? I’ve newish on here but have been following your posts. Thank you!!
 
Oh my, smells of simply southern New Years eats ....reading your post.
Yum scrum.
Hopping John on my menu...
You are doing great I think. Layla's heel toe is what I had to concentrate on...I had become a toe walker according to doc. Did make muscles in groin somewhat sore...straightening out my walk.
Happy New Year, if I don't make it back before...brother in town so will try to spend time with him this weekend!:cheers2:
 
Okay, I'm trying not to walk without the cane 'cause I know I'm not ready. This can't be my leg anyway. It belongs on someone else! The rest of my body does not like it at all; the rest of me does not know what to do with this Frankenstein. When comes the day when it feels like it belongs here?? And, in case no one noticed, it is hard to walk heel/toe, heel/toe and spring off the toes, and not lock your knees in the process. Yikes, I used to know how to do this. What happened??????? :sorry::thud::thud::thud::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh:
 
Oh @zinnia, you have been doing so well. You say you know you are not ready, so don’t be discouraged! The Frankenstein leg will settle in. Just try short distance at first, like between two chairs or along kitchen counter. Or lift cane up for a couple of steps at a time. Your leg muscles got trained to not work the right way and retraining takes time. Prayers for you!
 
@zinnia - it will get better- you are just entering the impatience zone! You've made such strides - especially compared to everything after your prior surgeries - and its natural to want things to continue at the same pace, but they can't and they won't.

Your body doesn't recognize the leg because it hasn't seen this potential in 2 years! Keep moving forward but look back to where you were 1 month after your first 2 surgeries. I'm sure you'll find that you are in a much better place. Let that be reassurance that you are on the right path and it will continue to improve. Just relax and give it time. You can't expect to be fully healed yet with all you've been through. I'm so impressed with how far you've come in such a short space in time. It's just harder to see it sometimes when you're looking in the mirror! Hugs! (I'd send chocolate, too, but I don't see an emoji for that).

:console2:
 
Hi Zinnia,
I'm sensing your frustration. You've been through so much and it's only been 32 days.
Thirty Two SHORT days since surgery.....thats no time at all in the whole scheme of things. This was your second revision and you'r body is trying its best to heal. This one may take a bit longer. You've seen improvement. You're no longer suffering pain. You've just withstood a long car ride and energy drain. A positive one, as you were with loved ones, but still a drain nonetheless.

There are people who depend on assistive devices for months. Cheryl (cpollock) comes to mind. I know it's difficult but you're going to have to rustle up some patience. You will continue to improve but slow and steady is what's going to win the race.

I'm wondering if water exercise would benefit you? I never tried it during my recovery but I know Gretel has.

I feel collectively we all think you're doing well. Just give it time......it will come. Think back to how you were feeling on November 27th...you've made progress in many ways!

I'll be praying for patience for you, sweet Zinnia.
Look forward to your dinner tomorrow evening with friends. You're going to feel loved and It will be great! @zinnia
 
When comes the day when it feels like it belongs here??
That op leg has had a lot to deal with. I know it's hard to be patient. Don't push the walking without a cane or crutch yet. You need to build up more strength and it won't happen overnight. Worry not - one day soon you won't even think about that hip anymore.
 
I'll send a flower:flwrysmile:.
Happy New Year Zinnia.
:yes!:Hurray we made it.
 
Hi All and thank you so much. . .I had a bit of a melt down the other day after my morning walk outside on the cane. The mornings are good; but by the late afternoons, I'm very tired. I know all of you know that this "tired" is different than any other tired I know. I mean this is really "tired". You know it, right @Layla? And I'll bet
@MammaT knows it too. I made a reset.

Forward is the word of these next 2 weeks, @SaraK, because on the 10th we leave for San Diego and the wedding of my step-son plus a short cruise down into the Baja a short distance, 4 days with my sister in law and the bride and groom. I love them all so it will be fun. Wheel chair is ordered and I will try to get a bulkhead seat when we check in at the desk. If not my legs will go up on hubby's lap and to hell with the third passenger.

Happy New Year to all you sweet, wonderful people. See you in the New Year. . .Yeah for 2018! :cheers2:
 
Thank you @Jaycey. Always great to get the good word from you. I appreciate your caring and healing words and your advice. Couldn't get by without them, in fact.

This is not easy and after 2 year's of waiting I grow impatient. I know I am doing well and need to back off. But I'm a "get on with it, girl" and I stumble over my own impatience more often then not. So thank you for bringing me back into the light with words of wisdom.

Have a wonderful New Year! HAPPY 2018!!!!!!!! :wowspring:
 
And for you Miss Wonderful @Mojo333, flowers for you in a huge Thank You for all your encouragement and kind words in 2017. Couldn't have done it without you. :flwrysmile:
:roseshwr::roseshwr::roseshwr::roseshwr::roseshwr::roseshwr::roseshwr::roseshwr::roseshwr::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
Oh @zinnia i so know hat you mean by the tired! When you are flying, if you are in the wheel chair they should let you board first. Try selecting seat ahead of time- depending on airline, it can be worth paying the bit extra for extra leg room. You may find yourself getting special treatment- take it!

San Diego sounds wonderful, I love that city. So, between now and trip, work on walking a bit and resting so you can enjoy the event and cruise!
 
I have no doubt that your hip and energy level will improve over the next couple of weeks. Your trip sounds fabulous.
Wishing you a healthy and happy 2018
 
Thanks @Jackie222 I see you were about a week ahead of me. How are you doing? I want the time to go back into your thread.

I have no doubt too. My energy level is pretty high I think except for late in the day when I just fade away. It needs to be to make this cross country trip to SD. I love the place too except for the traffic. I love the park and now I'll be able to walk it a bit. There is a lovely place for lunch there but in winter I don't know if it's open. The cruise will be fun; I'm looking forward to Catalina Island. My husband used to fly helicopters back and forth from the mainland to the island and I've heard it's quite lovely.

You have a safe and pleasant New Year's Eve and a very Happy New Year in 2018. . .yeah, we both have new hips!
 
Hi @zinnia
The fatigue is normal. You've been through so much.
Take advantage in the afternoon and sneak in some naps when you're tired.
Especially since you'll be on the move again in a little over a week.
Trip to Cali sounds fun. Love it there. Never been to Catalina but always thought it would be fun.
Can't wait to hear about it when you return. In the meantime, rest up. I'll be spying on you as always :heehee:
 
Hi @zinnia I’m doing really well thank you. My hip is getting stronger and I’m getting fitter. I’m resting, icing and elevating often. One thing I need to address now is my weight. I gained 21lb over the last 12 months as my exercise levels reduced to zero and I ate so much food. Determined to address that and continue to take my time recovering. Although I’m hoping to be able to start some gentle farm work in the next few weeks - I used to help my brother 2/3 days a week
Happy New Year enjoy your trip
 
:hi: @zinnia
Wondering how sweetie, Zinnia is doing today.....
Hoping the NYE dinner with friends was a good time.
Wishing you a peaceful relaxing day of continued recovery.
 
Zinnia was busy today! The menu was roast pork, blackeyed peas, red rice, collards, and frozen yogurt with strawberry sauce with Christmas cookies. Shared it with a couple we are close to and had a lovely New Year's Day dinner. Last night we had duck at their house and today they had pork at ours. A lovely way to start the year. But I am tired and we still have the kitchen to clean up. Husband won't let me do anything; he is bound he will do it all. We shall see.

I do have a question, Miss @Layla; I have developed two red areas along my incision. They aren't getting worse and sometimes they look like they are going away. They aren't even sore and don't hurt in any way. No swelling or tenderness even. Nothing oozing or bloody or sick looking at all. My SO seems to think it's rash from the cocoa butter I am using on it. And it wasn't there before that so maybe he is right. What does it sound like to you? I see the PA tomorrow so he'll check it out.

Tomorrow is going to be my peaceful, relaxing day. I did enough cooking today for the whole week, I'm thinking. But I had fun doing it and we sat at the table for several hours talking afterwards. I have to admit I'm a bit tired now. The bed looks good. So good night, dear Layla. Thank you again for looking over my shoulder. I love you for it. :roseshwr:
 
Sending my love to you @zinnia this recovery stuff is hard....I feel it's even harder than the suffering pre surgeries! I often feel miles behind and worry often I'm not where I "should" be. I'm 6 weeks, can't go without my cane, and I wobble/hobble like a handicapped penguin! But...I get reminded that it all will come...... We are, afterall, on the other side....and what's most required now is patience. I'm not very good at it so how about we try to practise it together? :friends:Loves to you!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom