Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

Have a wonderful trip.
Be safe and have a very Merry Christmas.:reindeerlights:
 
We arrived no worse for the wear except that we were both very tired come bedtime. Family went out for dinner to in laws (their Christmas) so we had the evening to ourselves which was good actually.

We did stop every hour + maybe 10 minutes. First stop picnic, next stop hamburgers (I was hungry), last stop donuts. It made me walk for a purpose. I was never stiff upon re-entry from the mountain of pillows and ice packs I sat with. I think the ice packs helped a great deal and I never ran out. I brought two large storage bags just in case but they weren't necessary. That idea will come in handy on the plane cross country to San Diego in January. From @SaraK or @Susan209 I think?

I have a bit of groin pain this am but I iced and it is now gone. So the trip here was a success. The only casualty is my phone charger. . .not to be found. The trip back may be harder since the action begins today.

There are already 5 dogs here and another to come this pm. Two of them have so manners what so ever so every one is worried I will get knocked down if they jump. What they forget is I taught 6. 7. and 8 graders. I can handle 6 dogs; 5 because mine has manners.

:merryx: to All and to All a Happy Holiday. I do love you guys. (Get better @danabanana)
 
Glad you made it to your destination. Sounds like a big success!
The only casualty is my phone charger. . .not to be found.
Agrrrr! Until recently I was traveling to central London on a regular basis. I quickly learned that having a second charger left in my suitcase was the best way to avoid this. Perhaps it's tucked away somewhere in your luggage?

Do watch those dogs please. You don't want to get caught off guard and take a tumble.

Enjoy your celebrations!
 
Hi Zinnia!
So happy you arrived safely and feeling no ill effects. Wonderful news!
I know you will...but I have to say it anyway (you'd think I was your mother)
Please be careful around the dogs. I don't want anyone tripping up my precious, Zinnia :bignono:
Not after all your work, to avoid hard work, which is paying off :yes!:
Wishing you the merriest and happiest Christmas ever.
Love and hugs!
 
Hi @Layla I am at present on the bed with feet up and ice on hip even though it does not hurt. The clan of 13 adults is gathering once again after a walk out into the cold. It's a darn good thing we like each other and get on so well. The big dinner was last night; tonight is a repeat; my grandson being a chef, it will be another fine one.

I have remained safe from the other 5 dogs, Jaycey, one of which is a total disaster, a rescue my grand daughter is fostering. It's good that we all have a sense of humor too. One other remains mostly in her crate, while the left over 4 herd in and out into the fenced yard frequently. Re-entry is a streak of black and white and brown that sweeps through the kitchen, into the hall, past the tree, into the dining room and around to the kitchen again. That lasts about 2 seconds. Stuart, the total disaster got into some chocolate from someone''s stocking and had to have emergency barfing. Unfortunately, he has survived. (I'm kidding!)

I have to admit all the socialization has tired me out. This is not for the faint of heart. I love these people; they are so worth the effort it takes to be here. Tomorrow we make the return trip. It will be difficult because I am wearing out. This will take the rest of the week to recover. . .maybe. I hope I surprise myself and spring back with ease.

It has been a wonderful Christmas made possible by my PT, Andy, and @Jaycey; I accepted their okays as permission granted and followed their instructions to the letter. Thank you to you both.
 
Glad visit is going well if tiring @zinnia. Amazing how much being around lots of people can tire us out. Glad your hips are doing well. And if you have to rest the remainder of the week, no big deal. You are nearly at the four week mark, so you are still entitled to some fatigue! Safe travels home.
 
Glad all went well on trip.
Christmas miracles ate abound this year.
Safe travels home....:loveshwr:
 
Hi Zinnia,
It was so nice to read your update. It sounds as though you had a wonderful holiday with loved ones.
It was refreshing to hear how you preventatively cared for yourself while there with rest, ice and elevation.
I don't find it surprising you feel worn out. I believe you anticipated that possibility as you embarked on this adventure.
The great thing is it's not pain and exhaustion from overworking yourself in PT, but more of an energy drain from the travel, excitement and emotion involved in dealing with such a large group as you are still in the very early days of recovery from major surgery. I don't think it's anything you won't be able to quickly recover from once home, resting and receiving lots of TLC from hubby. Oh....and of course us too. Try as you may you're not getting rid of me yet, sweet lady! Warm wishes for safe travel and a week of cozy, warm naps dreaming of fresh memories created with loved ones! Big hugs :friends: :loveshwr:
 
Dearest @Layla What in the world ever gave you the impression I wanted to try and get rid of you? For heavens sake, Child, bite your tongue! It is most certainly the other way around; you will never get rid of me.

We decided to stay one more day with most of the clan still here. We are now one dog down so that's sort of nice. Today is a day of rest for us all. Everyone seems to be ready to relax from the festivities. The biggest question today is what do we have for dinner.

It is true that the drain is an emotional one, but it is amazing how that tires one out. These are my kids! One grown up kid got a T-Rex costume which one of the group dons periodically and shuffles around the house which is pretty hysterical. Other than that, it is quiet around here.

So tomorrow is travel day and Thursday begins the recovery agenda back up. . .walking except for around the house which has been aplenty, has been put on hold. But I have been doing some light exercises. I think I will bounce back. :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:
 
Love the T-Rex :heehee:
I'm sure all in your family are weary from all the excitement. I know I've had my fill of celebrating over 3 days. I don't care if I see another sugary treat for months! I'm cleaning today and if I had the energy I'd
probably even take down the tree. Not happening today though.

I think you'll bounce back quickly too, Zinnia, especially because you've been doing everything right and even showing yourself some TLC while away from home.
Safe travels tomorrow. Hugs!!
@zinnia
 
Santa got my 4 year old great nephew some dinosaur slippers that squeak when he walks. He really really likes them.
Dumbest thing his mama/Santa ever did, she reckons. I agree...:heehee:
 
We are back; not bouncing yet though. Hanging in there but still busy with unpacking. It is going to be very cold here tonight and tomorrow and may be do what it never does. . .SNOW!. . .on Saturday.

I have ended up with my first significant pain since the night following surgery and it is in my groin. Just appeared at the last stop on the hour. I have been icing it continually for about 2 hours now. It's only about a 4, an ache, no sharpness. Any ideas, @Jaycey? Or anyone for that matter?

No pain anywhere else and I'm walking fine, even starting to walk short bits without the cane.
 
When I over do it (that I occasionally do probably doesn't surprise anyone on this site), I tend to feel it in the groin as well - hip flexor issues apparently. At this point, heat helps loosen that up for me instead of ice.

I got a fitbit for Christmas and over did it yesterday (almost getting to 10,000 steps) - must have looked funny last night with an ice pack on my hip and a heating pad on my lap! On average, the temperature was good.:heehee:. Right as rain my morning.
 
Hi @zinnia, glad you are safely home. Like Sarak, I would guess just a bit much activity. You did a lot for a month out. Hopefully rest and ice helps (or maybe the heat). Stay warm! We are also in middle of cold spell. The “feels like” temp has not made it over 0 today.
 
Hip hip hooray! You arrived home safely, Zinnia.
I'm sure the pain is temporary. Could even be from being a bit restricted in the car on the ride home.
I know you stopped to exercise regularily but possibly it's the way you were sitting in the car in between.
You've taken in more activity over the past few days too, possibly contributing. I'll bet a few days of icing
and rest and you'll be right back to where you were pre trip. Wishing you cozy warm naps on cold snowy days!
@zinnia
 
The heat sounds good to me @SaraK. Thank you for that. It has gone down a bit but still there so I've sent my SO on a bit of an errand to find the heating pad. I am hearing you are getting some snow? PA is getting tons of it apparently. My family is from those parts.

I'm sure it's a product of the extra activity @MammaT or even the way I was positioned in the car as @Layla pointed out.

I'm afraid I'm paranoid after being pain free these 3 1/2 weeks and no pain while there. Altho I got suddenly very tired at the table after Christmas dinner and had to leave pretty quickly and walk about a bit and then lay down. Depending who you are and what you have been through, I'd think carefully before car traveling at 3 weeks. I really didn't think I would get that tired. I would certainly do it again but rest more.

Yes, it is hip hip hooray to be back, sweet Layla. Lovely visit while it lasted but others are off tending to their own lives and now we are home in our own digs and it feels good.

Here comes the heating pad. Have a lovely evening Everyone! Thanks so much for being here.
 
Best heating pad ever - fill a tube sock with rice or flax seed or something similar (throw in some lavender for scent). Throw it into the microwave for a minute or two. Completely portable and molds to your body better than anything else. Great for the car!
 
Settling into a rhythm of walking and light exercises after the trip. Up most of the day about the house with rests and icing in-between. Went out to lunch today but an hour and 1/2 or so is all I can manage and I get tired.

Thanks @SaraK for the heating pad. . .it worked. Groin pain gone. I used ice for 20 minutes and then heat for 20 minutes and repeated. Did that when I broke my wrist and it worked. Your suggestion made me remember it. And it feels so spectacularly good! Your sock trick sounds wonderful. I can take that on the plane to San Diego in January along with my two plastic bags that I will pester the flight attendant with filling.

Walking on my own in the house little bits of the time. But it's, of course, not normal. Have to concentrate on making the operated leg stay stable. No limp but a bit of a gimp since I favor the bad leg. Also I lose my gait. Any suggestions about these walking problems? Since I haven't walked unassisted or without intense pain in 2 years, I am having to learn all over again plus deal with the physical realities of a new hip. Which, by the way, feels like it belongs some place else but certainly not in my body. That's part a physical problem as well as a mental one. I am doing the walking sideways and backwards exercises too which help. But welcome any ideas. HELP!

Everyone have a Happy New Year's celebration. I've always had a good Southern New Year's dinner with at least 8 people, on the Day, ham, black eyed peas, red rice and collards but this year I pass. Don't think I'll even make it for just us. Except for collards which I have in my garden and they need pickin'. We are having a quiet dinner with friends on the Eve.

Hugs all round and stay safe, please!
 
Hi @zinnia
It's nice to see your post. I've been thinking of you and have been meaning to check in. Figured you were resting and re-charging from your trip. I think an hour and a half outing sounds positive at this point in your recovery journey considering all you've been through lately. Hope you enjoyed your lunch.

I forgot that trick that SaraK shared about alternating heat with cold. My girlfriend who worked for a chiropractor shared that one with me years ago.

As for walking all I can recommend is what my PT shared and referred to as heel-toe walking.
You make a conscious effort to let each heel strike the ground first, followed by toes. It helped me with limping but took effort because I was used to walking so poorly in an effort to avoid hip pain, pre-op. Try it and see if you feel it works for you.

A quiet dinner on New Years Eve sounds nice, Zinnia. Relaxing with friends and celebrating your recovery.
Maybe a little bubbly and a couple kisses with your guy!

Love ya, sweet lady. Hugs and warm wishes for a great weekend!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom