THR Hip number 2 on board

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to my GP who said it's probably just post operative pain, but I've been pain free practically since I left the hospital?
Why didn't you believe him? Bearing in mind you are only 6 weeks out and given all the activity you've been involved in, not to mention the rough time you had in hospital, I think he was spot on!
I've done so well, was fully mobile, off sticks, driving, getting on with life, I've no idea why I should suddenly feel like I did the day after the operation?
Because you're only 6 weeks out and very likely to have a set back when you do too much.
Maybe it's strained muscles?. But would that go from the groin right down the front of the thigh to the knee?. It just feels so weird too... there's no swelling I can see, yet it feels kind of "full" in the groin area
Remember that pain also includes soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness. This swelling sounds like it's internal which you won't see or feel with your hand.
I've looked at your chart and my pain is R3FD, R2F EFGH, R5BF
I'm afraid these references in bold make no sense, honey. Please try again

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Hip number 2 on board


[Bonesmart.org] Hip number 2 on board

I'm still taking exactly the same dose of Tramadol and Paracetamol that I took from the day of the op but its not doing much at all.
If it's not doing much, why do you take it anyway? What doses are you taking and how often? And I'd like times you take take them too please.
I've also taken three Tramadol instead of two, as well as the 2 Paracetamol. I know its naughty to take three Tramadol but I don't care.
Well usually it's best to do it with your doctor's agreement but it's not outrageous. With my first knee I took 150mgs once in a while but with my GP's knowledge and agreement.
I wonder if I should buy some Ibuprofen in case its inflammation? It wouldn't hurt would it?
Yes it would! Besides which, paracetamol is as good an anti-inflamatory as ibuprofen any day of the week. Read this Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
I'm supposed to be starting back to work Monday week but the way I feel right now I can barely walk to the bathroom and back.
Plus I'm self employed so can't claim sick pay from an employer and my bank balance is almost zero, so I do need to work before Christmas.
These two comments are so contradictory! What is your work anyway and what hours? I understand how it must be to have an almost zero bank account but that's just once. If you press yourself more on this, you could end up living with this long term or even permanently. Do you really want to risk that?

When reading all you've been doing, it's very clear you've been doing far too much. I think the Tramadol has been working well and it's led you to think your recovery was all done and dusted. The return of your post-op pain shows how wrong that was and that if you don't reign yourself in right now, you run the risk of having an outcome like this poor chap PT: the seriously grave consequences of doing too much of it
Do bear this in mind as I seriously DON'T want to see that happen to you. That's the very last thing you deserve.
I'm seeing my OS this coming Friday for my 6 week check up. Bearing in mind this is the surgeon I didn't see once after the operation.... and I don't feel I have much faith in him taking much notice of me on Friday when I tell him how much pain. He may have been told I was involving PALS so may be a little more receptive to my complaints Friday
Oh I can assure you that he won't bear that in mind! It's highly unlikely that even if he has been told, he'll remember it! Or should I say, I'll be most surprised if he does!
 
Thankyou all for your posts, always appreciated. ( dont worry @HipSurprise I wont be on the Whiskey:thumb: Your friends experience has made me think twice, plus Im scared you will fly here and kick my *** :bolt:)

@Josephine , thankyou, as always, you have helped me SO MUCH through this journey and never fail to put things into prospective for me. Everybody who ever has THR should have a Josephine:yes:

Ok...addressing your points in order, the only reason I doubted my GP was because I thought my post op pain was well and truly behind me as Id been so well. I know now how wrong I am and would much rather hear it from you than from my GP as I trust your judgement more than I trust his. I honestly thought Id done something nasty to the hip.

In the bolded bits you highlighted when I wrote the chart numbers re my pain, I should have written R2FC, R2FD, R2FE, R2FG, as its all down the thigh from the groin to the knee.

I cut back on the pain meds and really wasnt needing them, I was just on occasional Paracetamol and a Tramdol at night. Then I fell, and because it was sore I started taking then more regularly. One Tramadol and 2 paracetomaol every 6 hours. Then the pain started a week ago as bad as it is now, so I upped the dose back up to what Id taken since coming out of the hospital...100mg Tramadol and 1000mg Paracetomol, every 6 hours. That suited me well after surgery but isnt doing so well right now. I take them around 7am, 1pm, 7pm, and if Im still up, 1am . If Im asleep by 1am, which is rare, I wake around 2ish with pain and take it then.


I work as a Dog Behaviourist, I dont work set hours but every client session is 2 hours long, not including travelling to clients home. I can do for example, 2 clients one day, three the next, it depends on how far away the job is and if my Daughter has someone to stay with her. If its local I will do a 2'hour visit, pop back home for an hour or two, then go do another visit, pop back etc..the work itself is unpredictable physically, I can be sat on a floor with a dog waiting for him to trust me for the whole 2 hours, or putting a dog in and out of a car if cars are his issue, walking a dog if pulling is his issue, meeting other dogs if thats an issue etc etc so its hard to say physically what I would be doing.
I was hoping that now that my Daughter is going to a centre 3 full days a week, I could do more work to catch up on all Ive missed. Obviously not:sad:

I read the article posted about Over-doing it and it made me feel sick:sick:, that poor man! Point taken!! I know like you said I have to "reign myself in" ( good choice of words, really summed me up and resonated with me). I do NOT want to end up like that poor man!:no-fin:

Yep I doubt the Surgeon will know , or care, about my hospital experience will he.

Josephine thankyou for all your help. Ive been worried that Id damaged the implant or torn a muscle or something when I fell, but youve put my mind at rest that Im just over-doing it, as usual, showing off how quickly Ive recovered "hey look at me...no sticks, rushing about, arnt I brilliant!"...NO. :bricks:. Im just silly and dont learn:headbang:.
 
I missed that you fell. I hope the check xray will assure you that there's nothing untoward done.
However, is ever so easy to sprain a muscle which may be what you've done.

I know a lady who is a dog behaviourist and I know it isn't non-physical work! But I suppose it depends if you're treating a Papillon or a St Bernard!
 
@Josephine , thankyou, as always, you have helped me SO MUCH through this journey and never fail to put things into prospective for me. Everybody who ever has THR should have a Josephine:yes:

Indeed, everybody should have a @Josephine ! Thanks, @Kay9 - that sums it up perfectly. I keep re-reading the posts in here and reminding myself that my surgery was only 12 days ago & that it's OK to take it easy.

Hope you feel better soon, @Kay9!
 
I missed that you fell. I hope the check xray will assure you that there's nothing untoward done.
However, is ever so easy to sprain a muscle which may be what you've done.

I know a lady who is a dog behaviourist and I know it isn't non-physical work! But I suppose it depends if you're treating a Papillon or a St Bernard!
:heehee:That did make me laugh...although one of the most physically demanding dogs Ive worked with was a medium sized border collie, and the sweetest, easiest one was Great Dane crossed with an Irish Wolfhound...so size isnt always everything:wink:. But yes my job can be very physical, and I know I need more time to step back and recover properly. Ive done very little today except ice and sleep, and it did seem less achy , but Ive just driven the 18 mile round trip to pick up my Daughter and the pain now is horrible! A sickening stabbing pain in the groin as well now. Wont be attempting to cook tonight until it eases slightly, beans on toast might have to do!
Thankyou again Josephine.

Indeed, everybody should have a @Josephine ! Thanks, @Kay9 - that sums it up perfectly. I keep re-reading the posts in here and reminding myself that my surgery was only 12 days ago & that it's OK to take it easy.

Hope you feel better soon, @Kay9!
Hi @shiv01 , yes indeed it sums it up:yes:. And you are only 12 days out from major surgery so of course its ok to take it easy, in fact its essential! I know me saying that is like the pot calling the kettle black:unsure: As Ive not taken my own advice, but take it from me, its not clever to try to rush this recovery, you End up in more pain and a big setback and an even longer recovery. I hope you are doing well and not too uncomfortable. Rest rest rest:thumb:
 
@Kay9 You sound a lot happier today despite the continuing pain.I am so glad that you have been able to rest and ice today which is the best plan.One thing I learnt from the experience of my first recovery is that you can't dictate the pace of recovery as it is the hip that does the dictating.The only way is to listen to your body and give it all the TLC it needs for recovery.I also missed your post about falling.How did it happen?
 
Hi @Kim22 yep Im happier, I was afraid Id done something nasty to the hip but Im now reassured its just me over-doing it as usual. I doubt the fall helped much though. I was shopping in M&S with Mum and sister and was looking at something, someone put a basket on the floor behind me while they tried to get a ringing phone out of their bag, according to my sister, and I stepped back and tripped over the basket, twisted and fell down. Its hurt since then but not too bad, that was about 2 weeks ago and its only in the last week its got like it has, so might not be anything to do with the fall?
I also took down then put back up a huge mirror and picture and it was very heavy and awkward so maybe that strained it? ( Ive got to do the mirror/picture change once a week when an old friend visits. He painted me a large and very ugly painting that I HATE and doesnt go with any of my stuff. When I know he's coming I take down my lovely mirror and put the painting up in its place, so he doesn't know the painting actually lives behind the sofa:snork:. If he ever just does a surprise visit Im busted.)
 
Hi @Kay9 That sounds like some fall I bet you got a nasty shock.However as you said the pain may not be related to it as you would think you would have hurt shortly afterwards rather than a whole week later but no matter what it wouldn't have done you a lot of good.It just shows you how vulnerable we are in those early weeks.The staff at the hospital more or less advised me to stay at home and not even go out in the car as a passenger in the first 6 weeks.I had a chuckle about you having to swap your lovely mirror for your friends work of art before he visits but if it was me I would just put up with it for now in case he calls over Christmas as you definitely shouldn't be lifting heavy weights yet.So glad you are feeling happier.
 
Hi @Kay9
Why not put a big drape over the picture with christmas tinsel/baubels. If your friend visits tell him that you put the drape over it to protect it from smoke? paint? cleaning materials? LOL The roller coaster ride continues?
 
So chortling, and good grief lass are you taking PhD in ooooopsie. Hmmmmmm now does your friend know about your oooooopsieness, because could some accident happen to it. Say for example you were getting rid of cobwebs on a ladder overstretched fell grabbed hold of nearest thing, picture and it got broken. Be warned he may want to see splinters tho

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Omg Im finally logged on! Ive been trying for a week, but keep getting an ERROR 522 message and couldnt access Bonesmart. And now ive got no smiley-emojicon thingies :(

Well, things are no better with the groin and thigh pain, if anything its worse. I went for my 6 week check up with my surgeon and, surprise surprise, I didnt see him! Lol, there seems to be a theme with my surgeon. I saw my FIRST surgeon instead, the lovely one, he sent me for xray to see what if anything, was going on, and the xrays were fine, but then said the stem was possibly a little wide for my size??? Maybe @Josephine you understand what that meant, or did I not hear him right? I also have screws in this one, I didnt in the last.
Anyway, he has made an appointment for me on the 23rd, to see him AND the surgeon that did the op. He said rest up until then.

The pain is still deep in the groin and down the front of the thigh to the knee. It eases off slightly but never actually goes, and gets a lot worse with any activity, by early evening its very very painful. Ive not been able to go back to work and its really stopping me from doing much at all, which is annoying. Especially at such a busy time of year.

Ive lost connection twice so far trying to write this so going to get off before it happens again, if anyone has any ideas why this is happening please let me know? I hope I can get back on here . :(
 
Kay, Jo and some of the UK staff are having issues too....I gather that some ISPs are having server problems....something to do with packet loss....Are you using TalkTalk, perchance? They seem to be having a larger share of trouble. Anyway...it's not you.

Sharon
 
Oh no! @Kay9 , I haven't been on BS as much lately and am so sorry to read about the increase in your pain.
So, now you know that you need to rest and then rest some more. There are worse things, right?
The pooches will be there, still needing your help when you are able to return.
I won't write much since it appears you are having sign on issues. But will keep an eye on your thread for updates.. please take care.
 
Thanks @CricketHip, I appreciate your thoughts. :)
Still in pain, really getting me down...roll on 23rd when I MAY finally get to talk to my surgeon. Possibly.

Hi @sharonslp no Im with Plusnet, but Ive just posted this , below, in the techy buggy forum, it might help Josephine or someone else to get on here?


Im still getting the error message, but I think Ive found a way around it, after extensive googling, lol, .....well its worked this time anyway. ( although the lay out is shot, and I cant see some of the forums)

Apparently its a problem with Cloudfare, and is affecting a lot of Uk IP addresses, its blocking them or causing problems with them. The way Ive just got around it is by using a proxy IP address. I went to free-proxyserver.com and theres a box, you just type in where you want to go, ie bonesmart.org, and because your not using your IP address thats having problems, cloudfare isnt a problem with it. It worked for me, it might work for others? Maybe Josephine could try that? i tried to access bonesmart normally through my own IP again first, got the error message, so went to the proxy and no problem.
Pages arnt loading fully and I have no smiley things, but at least Im on here
 
Your welcome @sharonslp, it may not work for all and it is a bit sketchy ( dumped me off here just now) but its the only way I can get on here at all at the moment. Hope whatever the problem is, is sorted soon...I bet a lot of people are missing Josephine lol.

I had to go get xmas shopping today, Ive put it off until now as its so painful to walk now, its really getting me down and making everything hard work. :(
This isnt like me at xmas...I LOVE xmas, Im always the one dancing around with loud xmassy songs on and tinsel holding my hair up...not dreading it and miserable, like I am now :(

Im suffering bigtime for going shopping, and I only got a small amount of what I was supposed to get because my groin and thigh ached so much I had to give up and come home. Im walking really badly now, even with a stick, I seem to be tilted to the right. ( the right leg is definitely shorter than the left though so maybe thats not helping)

Three packs of ice on at the moment, all down leg from groin. 2 hours until I can take pain tablets..doesnt bare thinking about.

Was so lucky with recovery until this, Im disappointed in myself. Somebody tell me this is going to get better soon please....life is beckoning me and I want to live it!
 
Omg Im finally logged on! Ive been trying for a week, but keep getting an ERROR 522 message and couldn't access Bonesmart. I've lost connection twice so far trying to write this so going to get off before it happens again, if anyone has any ideas why this is happening please let me know?
Apparently its a problem with Cloudfare, and is affecting a lot of Uk IP addresses, its blocking them or causing problems with them.
You're mostly correct. It was as a result of storm Desmond - it caused an awful lot of outages all over the country. I've been unable to access BoneSmart since the day of Desmond and only just got on today.
I went for my 6 week check up with my surgeon and, surprise surprise, I didnt see him! Lol, there seems to be a theme with my surgeon.
Not at all - it's always been the way of our NHS, you see the consultant first visit and thereafter, you see his Fellow or registrar. It happened to me too last week when I went for my annual check.
I also have screws in this one, I didn't in the last.
Honey, I think I explained before - it's of no consequence. Screws are required by some designs. It has nothing to do with you or your surgery.
He said rest up until then.
Well then, I hope you do!
 
Thanks @Josephine.

Im so fed up with all this. My knee is now hurting loads and is swollen up, just above the knee and to the right of it. Theres an obvious fist sized swelling. I wish Id never had this done....this hip wasnt even hurting, I dont know why I had to have it done so close to the other one. I need to postpone christmas, Im not getting anything done :(
 
Sorry to read that you are still very sore @Kay9 and I hope your pain starts to settle down very soon.I overdid things Christmas shopping earlier this week and I am now paying the price so I am resting up too.It is so frustrating especially this time of year but very necessary.I hope your consultant can give you some answers next week
 
Thanks @Kim22 , sorry you are suffering too . Its especially annoying this time of year isnt it...so much to do.

Im in flippin agony at the moment:sad:. Just went to get a bit more shopping, all I wanted to do was get home, take my tablets and lay down with ice on my leg, was so relieved when I pulled up outside my house. Went in, nipped out the back door to put some rubbish out, leaving the back door open, and when I walked back into the kitchen a large male Pheasant was stood there:flabber:. Course, he ran, in the wrong direction, so went down the hall and into the lounge. So I had to battle with him for ten minutes and kind of whoosh him along, kept going in the wrong direction though. Got him back in the right direction with my stick, finally got him out, but was in so much pain I couldve screamed. Really couldve done without that.

I just dont want to be in this pain anymore. I want to be normal:cry:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom