@Kim22, sending good thoughts and looking forward to the day when you no longer have to give yourself those dreaded shots! Be well and have a good night's sleep, friend.
Hello @Kim22 ! I decided to meander around and check in on "my people" I have a watch o your thread but am not getting notices .. harrumph! So, is the log leg a thing of the past yet? I read earlier in a post that you are moving it by yourself now.. that's a big one! I felt so much more mobile when I could get out of bed by myself.
I think you are at the stage now when things start improving pretty fast.
It's been a very warm and sunny day until about 20 minutes ago, now the rain seems to be moving closer. I am glad to have had 2 walks already today.
@DeepBreath thank you 10 down 20 still to go.Am I the only one on here having them ? Maybe you are all wearing Ted stockings or taking oral anticoagulants.I know they are very necessary at the moment so I shouldn't complain.I read your post earlier and you sound so much better for getting rid of Mr sarcastic (PT) good move. @CricketHip Nice to see you I am not getting my alerts either I used to get an email for every alert so I am not sure what is going on.I am glad that your recovery is still going well and that you have had two nice outdoor walks already today especially if the weather has changed.I haven't ventured outside yet I am going to wait until I feel a it stronger as you found out you meet neighbours who want to chat which is lovely but standing still difficult.I planned to go and sit in the garden yesterday but by the time I was ready the sun disappeared and it is too cold to sit out in shade.I had a lovely morning as two of my best friends came to visit.i am getting in and out of bed solo which is great but I do find the getting in more challenging.Most of the swelling has gone down now yay! Wishing you both and all my other hippie friends a great weekend.
Good news @Kim22 that you are flying solo getting in & out if bed! It is certainly worse getting in & adjusting the best position.....that too will pass!
I hated those injections & had to do them got 12 weeks as I'd previously had a PE....my hubby used to do it each night (he was sure he was going it better than me!) it was like the grim reaper coming in each night!! I wore TEDs too, which I positively hated.
Do hope you get to venture out today...I used to walk for a little & my hubby then pushed me in the wheelchair to our Beach Cafe so I felt somewhat normal!
Keep up the great recovery...Chrissie x
Good morning @Kim22! Hope all is well with you today. Thought I'd add my 2 cents about the TEDs and anticoagulants. I got the shots while in the hospital. Then, when I went to rehab and for 6 weeks afterward I was on Warfarin, then went to 325 aspirin for a couple of weeks. I wore the TEDs up until about 8 days, I think it may have been less though. I was moving around so much, getting up and walking, that they felt pretty safe in removing them, altogether. But I do remember that, at one point, I was told not to wear them 24/7, which I thought I needed to do. I was so happy to dump those things. Happy to hear you are mastering getting in and out of bed. I bought a bed rail, prior to surgery, and it helped tremendously, especially getting in bed. It also served as a hanger for all my tools (cane, reacher/grabber, leg loop, etc). It's great to hear you are doing so well. Keep it up girl!
Hi @Hoppy Nanny How awful having the double whammy of both injections and Teds and for so long.Thats exactly how I feel about the grim reaper calling every night.My husband is not good having injections so would be no good giving them so it really was down to moi I didn't know that you had had a previous PE.Thats rough for you and having heard that shows what a risk blood clots are so we do need these anticoagulants and I won't complain again.
Well I am firmly back on the recovery roller coaster again.I had a good day yesterday with less pain and being more mobile so for the first time I did timed walk of 5 minutes around the house.Up to yesterday I was just walking on a regular basis as needed to go to the kitchen or bathroom.I felt great and proud of myself until I noticed an increase in pain which is still present today.The great thing about being on here for the second time is that you can refer back to hip 1 on my first post op thread and it was the same with that one by which I mean 2 steps forward and 3 back.I can't believe how yesterday I was imagining a recovery path where I just noticed a slight improvement every day for the next few weeks when I know from experience that the reality certainly for me anyway is more of a roller coaster ride.Having accepted that I feel perfectly fine knowing that this period will pass with rest.Thank you for calling in on my tread on this beautiful autumn day.A great day for a beach walk with Ruby.your trips to the beach cafe sound like a real tonic by the way
It is good that you can refer back to your own recovery thread from the 1st op and compare. You are right about it being a roller coaster. 2 steps forward, 1 step back seems to be the theme of the day. Hang in there. As you know, it is only temporary. Keep your chin up.
@Nana757 I think we must have posted at the same time.You did have an assortment of anticoagulants but at least you didn't have the injections for long.I did read an article a while back showing evidence that aspirin was just as effective as Clexane injections and much cheaper so I was surprised when the injections were still being prescribed in our public health system.Of course not everyone can take aspirin and I suspect the NHS are waiting for more evidence before they go down that route.I read somewhere that before we started having anticoagulants 40% of orthopaedic surgical patients had a DVT.Scary !
A bed rail would have been a great idea.I get out of bed almost with ease now but although I am managing it is still tricky getting back in.
Ahhh the roller coaster recovery....sounds just like mine! Just when you thought it was safe....push harder & wham...back to baby steps! It's good you notated it on your previous recovery @Kim22 so you know it's 'your' normal.
When you think how much trauma went on during the op it's no wonder our bodies groan when we push too hard.
Yes, the beach cafe is great...when the weather is good. Ruby is great, she just sits there while we enjoy our coffee & the view.
In a week or two you will be walking further & enjoying some freedom. Hope you have a better day tomorrow! X
Hi @Kim22...I saw somewhere on these threads two different examples of what our progress can look like....what we want would like one nice, quick straight line from "first day of surgery" to "fully recovered (the "forgotten" hip)"....and then there's this huge, loopy circular squiggle that is reality! How true this is....I too think it's great that you have your first experience to refer to all written down. The worst is over, it really only gets better for you. Enjoy the journey
thank you for your encouragement.You have both been through this experience and have accepted that recovery far from being a linear experience is more of a circular squiggle or the roller coaster ride and I appreciate your wisdom.I had my first major pity party yesterday so I appreciated your friendly replies when I came on here this morning.I am sure that I will have many more of those as I make my way along the squiggly road.
Sorry to hear you had a weepy day yesterday. Hopefully, they will be short lived. I had a couple, myself, at day 7 or 8, while in rehab and the 2nd one was a couple of days later and that was it. Thankfully, i didn't have any more after that. Keep your chin up. As they say...This too shall pass! Happy thoughts and have a great recovery day!
Thank you @Nana757 it is good to hear that your weepy episodes were short lived and you only felt that way twice during recovery Although I am not crying today I still a little down in the mouth regarding my little setback but as you said this will pass too.How are you doing now ?
Do you know @Kim22 that my THR taught me a great deal about allowing myself to 'feel' how I felt (if that makes sense).
All through life I've strived to hide my pains, anxiety & depression & be the jovial person at all times. Whether it's good or bad I can now accept these 'bad' days happen & I give myself the time & space to move on.
So I look upon those 'pity party' days as part of my recovery & discovering more of how to look after me.
You will feel better...you know that....but do let your body & mind accept these days will happen.
I still miss having my nap times!! I've got lazy in my advancing years..lol X
Hope the next few days are better for you Hun ...love & hugs..Chrissie xxx
@Hoppy Nanny Hi Chrissie I agree in life we have to accept the bad times along with the good ones and just accept and allow the bad times to take their course.Tears are going to be part of the recovery and to be expected when you think what happens to us during surgery add to that pain and loss of independence albeit temporary then it would be abnormal to be upbeat at all times.On a positive note I don't have a problem sleeping and like you I love those afternoon naps.Tomorrow is a big day as my clips are to be removed and I am having another visit from the physio.Have you always lived on the South coast? You are fortunate as you have one of the best climates in the UK after the Channel Isles and the Scillies.
@Kim22, I hope your day is going well. I'm excited for you getting the clips removed tomorrow! Every milestone is something to be looked forward to.
I'm not sure what the deciding factor is regarding the anti-coagulants. When I had my internal medicine appointment right before my surgery, the doctor gave me a good rundown on what to expect post surgery. She mentioned Coumadine, the shots, and aspirin as possibilities.
You're over a third of the way done with them though now! It doesn't take the sting away (literally) but you're getting there and coping wonderfully.
Take good care of yourself and have a lovely evening.
@DeepBreath Although I don't like doing the injections I realise how important they are in the prevention of blood clots but I will be glad when I have given number 30.Getting the clips out is a big milestone and I am hoping once removed the wound will be a little more comfortable as they are tugging a lot now and the area feels tense.
You will feel much better once those clips are out @Kim22
As you know it is another milestone in the recovery......and stops that tugging feeling.
We moved from Kingswood in Surrey about 12 years ago to Aldwick Bay between Chichester & Bognor Regis. We love it here & the weather is so much milder! Originally I'm a Londoner, born and raised in Battersea (when it wasn't trendy!) x
You will feel so much better not just that the tugging feeling goes but its a big hurdle of the mind passed. The injections soon will be over. I had DVT a few years back and went into a motorway restroom to inject myself, a chap walked in saw me injecting and rushed of, me thinks he thought I was on drugs. Intact it was on m1 just S of Newcastle so not far from you.
I have just had my 20 clips removed 4 less than last time and the area feels less tense.The wound looks clean and dry and this is the fourth nurse to compliment my surgeons neat and tidy work I agree a big hurdle of the mind passed.Before the nurse came I had a visit from the physio and I told him about the increase in pain including a very sore area behind the knee.He watched me walk and agreed that I wasn't walking as well as I was a week ago.He was a little concerned regarding the possibility of a DVT but then decided this was most unlikely.The nurse also ruled this out so the advice was to stop all exercises and walking apart what I really need to do and he is coming back in a couple of days.
Your home by the sea sounds idyllic Chrissie
Poor you @Legin being mistaken for a drug addict on top of coping with a DVT.
Ok nap time now best time of the day at the moment
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.