THR Hip #2 In situ

Status
Not open for further replies.
CRPS = Complex regional pain syndrome is an uncommon form of chronic pain that usually affects an arm or a leg. Complex regional pain syndrome typically develops after an injury, surgery, stroke or heart attack, but the pain is out of proportion to the severity of the initial injury.

The cause of complex regional pain syndrome isn't clearly understood. Treatment for complex regional pain syndrome is most effective when started early. In such cases, improvement and even remission are possible.

#CRPS


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Oh I don't mind I chortled. My daughters saw funny side too...... As eldest daughter said only you dad.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Kim22, wonderful! I'm glad the clips are out, the tugging has lessened, and that they ruled out DVT. It seems, from reading these forums, that the varied aches and pains that can arise after THR are many. Sending good wishes that you have the behind the knee pain sorted out soon.

Are you close to Newcastle? Please forgive my ignorance of UK geography. I had a lovely Geordie friend while living in Germany. She is a hoot and to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, she had a few of us over and treated us to a day of purely British treats and traditions. It was so fun and imaginative. Good times!

I hope you enjoy your nap. :)
 
@DeepBreath I live in a village about 12 miles west of Newcastle upon Tyne.It sounds like you had some fun with your Geordie friend in Germany and how lovely celebrating the Queens Diamond Jubilee with British treats.We had a massive street type party in the local primary school and the whole village was invited What an occasion.Recently the country marked the occasion of this queen overtaking Queen Victoria to be the longest serving monarch.
I am concerned about this pain as as well as the knee pain I have experienced an increase in the pain in the hip.On Friday I was doing ok and then the pain came back over the weekend and is just as bad today with no signs of an improvement yet.I hope with extra rest it will sort itself out.It is all very demoralising.
 
Hi @Kim22....I read that you did add more walking (albeit only 5 minutes) but nevertheless, it was added walking and then the next day you had pain....lots of people get knee pain related to the surgery but it clears up with rest. With regards to the hip pain, I would get a good night's sleep, take all my meds to kick out that pain, and see how you are in the morning. I had a bad pain in my non-operated calf around two weeks or so into recovery. Even though my PT said it was probably a sprained calf, I obsessed over it being a DVT to the point that I had to ask my neighbor to take me to the hospital for an ultrasound just to ease my mind, as my husband was at work. Only you know if you should get an x-ray of that hip. I believe it's your hip and all the assorted muscles, etc. working things out. My heart goes out to you to hear how sad you are feeling. I understand.
You have a good support system here. We are all with you on this. Be well.
 
Oh @Kim22, I feel so bad for you that you are experiencing increased pain. But you are less than 2 weeks out from your surgery and there are going to be ups and downs, sometimes worse than others. It's, unfortunately, part of the healing process as all the muscles, tendons, etc start waking up and screaming at you. More ice, rest and pain meds woulda probably help. But, if not, give your OS a call, if it is that concerning to you. I so hope, though, the pain diminishes and eases your mind. Take care.
PS...I was obsessed with the thought of DVT, as well, but then realized, I was doing enough walking around and taking Warfarin to take of it.
 
Thank you to you both.I am not worried about a DVT as I don't have the pain whilst lying in bed and I am still sleeping quite well but the pain occurs when walking so I believe it involves the soft tissues.There is no calf pain but the back of my thigh (hamstring ) is now hurting.So I will carry on resting and taking the pain meds and hope for some improvement soon.I know that I haven't injured myself or massively overdone the activity so hopefully it is a reaction surgical trauma or the muscles realigning themselves.I only Wish that I had a crystal ball
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Kim22 glad those staples are out.....please don't worry about that knee pain...I had awful pain behind my knee straight after my THR...I'm sure it was the way I walked before the op & the trauma that the knee goes through with the THR....
I hadn't found BS then so kept walking like a mad woman....then I found BS & Josephine advised that hips actually didn't need that much exercise..so I cut back & that pain went. Thinking of you xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kim22, I so understand your worries about the pain. Any new pain I experience gives me concern. I go over what I've done recently and want to know why right now! Being patient is not my strong suit but this process sure demands it. Please know I'm winging feel better vibes your way!

How fun your block party for the Diamond Jubilee sounds! I so admire Queen Elizabeth. She's a tough lady who has lived through so much and handled herself with dignity always. I hope she continues to reign for a long time to come. :)

Rest up and be well, friend. We're here to listen whenever you need an ear. :flwrysmile:
 
@Kim22
I do believe you are right...it is probably a result of the surgery and the literal beating the hip and leg took during the operation. I hope, with rest and ice, it does ease up soon. I know those 2 steps forward and 1 step backward can be disheartening at times. Keep your chin up. You will get through this!
 
Thanks once again @Hoppy Nanny @DeepBreath @Bfam85 and @Nana757 You have collectively helped lift my spirits.Off to bed now but before I do I have to give the 15th injection Half way through them yay!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Kim22 just catching up-- hurray no more clips, and halfway through clexane! I'm sorry you're having more pain! :( I remember sever knee pain, that the fairy pills didn't touch. Clifford149 told me to ice the knee-- and wow!! All gone pain. Then there was the sketch I drew in my hip journal somewhere between 3-6 weeks of a recurrent pain I'd have. Pic looked like a line drawn around the very top of my op leg, with large jagged icicles hanging off it.
And then there was my trip to the ER, as I was afraid the awful calf pain was DVT. They had to call the ultrasound specialist away from a church picnic, and he lived an hour away! Thankfully, all was well! I upped my pain meds a tad, and that did the trick.
May you have no more sad spells!! That is just so demoralizing. Nap, rest, sleep, repeat!! :) :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Hope the pain has lessened and re injections you on the home run now

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Legin I spoke too soon about pain free nights as I was awake from 2-5am with a throbbing in the knee I did try ice and it worked for a little while.This morning I noticed shooting nerve pains in the lower leg but the knee is slightly easier but the hip is still sore when I walk.I do think all these moving about pains are part of the healing process.I also think that I may have a low pain threshold so just hoping that rest and time will help.

@zauberflöte thank you for telling me about your post op pain in detail and it does sound like what I am going through at the moment which is reassuring.I do use ice and it does help on a short term basis.My dear husband remembers the night pain Ihad last time and trips to the freezer to fetch ice and he is right as It in written in my post op thread.The only difference is that with this hip I use proper gel ice packs instead of frozen peas as I found these defrosted and had an awful stink after a couple of uses yuck.I wonder how Clifford is he used to check in from time to time but I haven't seen him recently.
 
Fingers crossed for you. If it gets worse or goes on too long get it checked lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Argh about the knee pain! Sending serious vibes for relief from that bothersome pain.
Take care and be well, @Kim22. :flwrysmile:
 
I hope your pains are improving. I'm finding I'm having more muscle pains with #2, but nothing too bad. It's hard to find that balance between too much and not enough activity. It will be 3 weeks Thursday and I think more pain is caused from sitting rather than moving. Wishing you smoother pain free days.
 
Hi @Doodles51 Its sounds like you are making great progress at 3 weeks.I think it is encouraging that your muscle pains respond positively to activity that to me shows that you are making a good recovery.I think that I am going to need a lot of patience but I know I can do it.

I have decided to take a short break from Bonesmart to concentrate my energy into the healing process but I will be back in a week or two and in the meantime I wish all my hipster friends well.Happy healing to you all.
 
Thanks Nigel.I just want to add my thanks to all of you who have been so supportive over the past few months.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom