Guest viewing is limited

THR Hip #2 In situ

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PT in hospital gave me a few exercises, some to do on the bed and some in standing.We had to do them in hospital along with demonstrating that we were safe on the stairs before we were allowed to go home.I know from previous experience that the home PT due to visit tomorrow will tell me to just do 3 core exercises in standing but he will tell me that little walks are more important
 
I had a lot of pain last night which I know is to be expected at a week post op.Watched the clock until 2am when I was able to take some more codeine and paracetamol.I increased the dose to 60mg codeine and slept right through until 8.30am I decided to take another 60mg codeine this morning which helped me move about and for the first time in a week I managed to wash my hair pure bliss.I had a visit from the PT who feels that I am doing well.He elevated the foot of my bed to help with the swelling and he told me to stop the exercises I had been given by the hospital and to restrict it to 3 basic standing exercises but not to take them to the point of pain and to stop if there was any increase in pain.He is coming back on Thursday when he hopes to get me on to one walking stick.My main issue remains getting in and out of bed and I still need hubby's help with this.The PT was not surprised about this and reassured me that by the end of the week I should be much better.I have a bit of low back pain which I am not surprised by I am sure it is taking a lot of the strain at the moment.So all in all a good update at one week and I am feeling positive.The fact that this is my second experience of this surgery is a big benefit as I am less anxious knowing that things will get better with patience.With my first hip I worried that every new pain was a sign of a problem with the implant when in reality it is all part of the healing process.I hope that all my fellow hip friends have a good day.Happy healing to you all:flwrysmile::loveshwr:
 
Sorry about your night pain. You did the right thing - get the meds going on schedule and as prescribed. This too shall pass.

Sounds like your PT is very good as well. Scaling back and not pushing you - great stuff. You are doing great!
 
@Kim22 woohoo six hours sleep at a week post op that is fabulous!! Keep those med a-comin'!!
You back pain might just be from back sleeping?-- you AND mattress are two years older...
Glad to hear good reports from home health and physio-- this too shall pass. Guacamole on carrot sticks, how's that? :lol:
We need an emoji for toileting habits... somebody racing for the loo? A big sign "I Just Did Poopers!"?? :lol: :lol:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@Kim22, I'm sorry to hear about your night pains. It seems worse when it occurs at night, doesn't it? I'm glad you were able to get back on track and get a good chunk of rest. Your PT sounds like a sensible, helpful person! Wonderful!
I am sending out swelling reduction, pain free vibes. It's good that you have the experience of your other THR so that you are more relaxed. I find that I worry a bit over every little pain and 'oddity'. I hope I can be wise like you the second time around. :)

@zauberflöte, LOLing at the 'Poopers' comment! :heehee:
 
Sounds like you have a good PT. That is good news. I hope the swelling in your leg goes down fairly quickly. It must feel awful.
 
Hi @Grannyhippy i would say that the swelling has gone down slightly this morning and I had a good nights sleep last night only needing 2 loo breaks.I know that I need to drink a lot of water but it means several visits.I will call in on your thread to see how you are doing now
 
I know what you mean regarding the Poopers sign outside the toilet door I am grinning from ear to ear due to success I couldn't be happier if I had won the lottery lol.My community physio is very old school, over retirement age and very down to earth.He has been working with hip replacement patients for decades so he knows what works and what doesn't I like his common sense approach.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you've got a great physio there @Kim22 and everything happy in the toilet dept is such a positive at this stage.
Sorry about your back pain, I agree with zauberflote that the back sleeping could be the cause.
So glad to hear your upbeat update....xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hoppy Nanny I agree he is very good and has been around since pussy was a kitten supporting hip replacement patients.I am walking a little easier today with 2 sticks but I still need hubby's help to get in and out of bed thanks to old log leg.I also think it is psychological as I have had a few painful experiences especially getting into bed.I hope to see a difference by the end of the week.How is Ruby ?
 
@Kim22 Psychological fake-outs certainly would contribute to not wanting to haul the log into the bed by yourself. Once burned twice shy! Hubby is great to have around, and as you know, the log will become a leg soon enough!
I'm grinning right along with you! Sometimes I wonder if the constipation wasn't worse than everything else combined.
We are having a few days of breathtakingly gorgeous weather here. We had the heavy rains, but nothing like the folks in South Carolina, who are canoeing and kayaking around to take a look at their neighborhoods. We are all extremely thankful that hurricane Joaquin went out to sea. Are you having golden days? :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@zauberflöte Thanks so much for your reply.I agree that I wouldn't like to go through that painful first constipation period I think giving birth was easier.Another hurdle to get over but a very unpleasant one.The folk in Southern Carolina have had an awful time just like the people of the South Coast of France where they have had dreadful floods killing 10 people.We visited the effected area 3 weeks ago when the weather was just perfect and they said that they hadn't seen rain in weeks.Dreadful ! I bet you were glad to see the hurricane go out to see I think we are due heavy rain this evening.I don't know about golden days but I am positive for my future and seem to be much more patient second time round.Has your tendinitis settled down ?
 
My goodness, so much flooding. My heart goes out to all who are dealing with that, as well as those dealing with crippling drought.
I hope today treated you well, @Kim22. :)
 
@DeepBreath yes such severe extremes of weather the world over.I have had a goodies day thank you for asking.I feel each day that goes by I make a tiny step forward and I am happy to take thay.What about you how are you today ?
 
@Kim22, that makes me so happy to hear you had a good day. :)
Today has been nice here. Sunny, mild weather, feeling good, and coping well so far now that my husband is back at work.
 
@DeepBreath I meant to say I had a good....ish day LOL By that I mean not bad.You are doing well coping without hubby.
 
You will soon see improvement in that 'log leg' @ Kim22
However, take the help while you can....no point in rushing it...you know from experience that all things resolves themselves just as we begin to despair that they won't.
Glad you are walking well already...that will help get those muscles working.
Ruby is beautiful...thanks for asking...such a good girl...no trouble at all! I love her to bits.
Keep up the good work Hun......hope you've not had the torrential rain that we have had on the South Coast...flooding and all in Chichester! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kim22 glad to hear improvement, little by little everyday. Your positive attitude will carry you through. It is dreadful to hear about all the flooding and disasters. Here we have the opposite problem, no water. We just were notified that we should not let our big, old trees die because of the danger once they are no longer rooted they will bless over in the winds. We have had so many years of no rain I don't know if we can have an affect now.

Healing vibes to you.
 
Sounds like you're healing well. Oh those first real lengths of sleep are wonderful. You are right, when you've done this before there is much less anxiety. I just worry about more pain this time, although not bad at all. I think having been through this before I am doing a little more sooner. With the first one I think I barely moved for two weeks other than pt and walking a little every couple hours, because I was afraid I'd dislocate or pull something. Best of luck to you with your recovery. Hope you get another good nights sleep
 
@Hoppy Nanny We are having torrential rain here to but no floods thankfully.My heart goes out to all effected by flooding especially if the water gets into their homes.We had our turn in 2012 when our village was badly flooded.We live in a village situated valley so all the water just cascaded down and caused no end of problems.Lots of homes and businesses were flooded and I remember the river was on the verge of bursting its banks when the rain finally stopped.If it had we would have been under water too.
Oh yes I am not going to rush things with this recovery as my surgeon said this is a 20 year investment into my future so I have plenty of time .Less is more when it comes to hip.
Gorgeous picture of Ruby.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom