Guest viewing is limited

THR Hip #2 In situ

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Plum Perfect Thank you so much for stopping by I really appreciate it.I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with lack of rain it seems half the world has too much water and the other half doesn't have enough.It must be very difficult maintains adequate water supplies and a nightmare for farmers.I am also impressed by your positive attitude too and the way you cope with your 4 beautiful Airdales as well.I couldn't imagine looking after one pet right now never mind 4 but you have it off to a fine art.I bet the thought of being able to show them again is a great incentive in your recovery Happy healing vibes to you too.
 
@Doodles51 thank you for your post I really appreciate it.I couldn't agree with you more about finding the second recovery easier than the first.The main difference is that I am not constantly worrying about every new ache and pain or getting hung up on the possibility of the major problems that can happen after THR.My pain levels are just as bad but when you think about what we go through during surgery it is not surprising is it ? I resist comparing my recovery with others as each recovery is unique.One observation is that the anteriors seem to have less pain and move forward more quickly than with the old tried and tested posterior approach that I had.I also know from this forum is that in the end the results are the same.I had another great sleep last night which would be even better if I didn't still get up twice to pee.I hope you have a good day
 
Agreed. Each surgery and each person and surgical approach is different. We all end up with pain free hips in the end. We all have the surgery for different reasons and/or have other issues along with the hips. That is going to make a difference. I'm thinking PT and learning to walk w/o limping is going to be a lot more this time now that both are done. I didn't have the peeing all night as long with this surgery, just the first few days. Wishing you continued good healing
 
Thanks @Kim22 for asking re tendonitis. No, it's still sitting there. It waxes and wanes with weather changes even more than the bad hip! If I exercise lots, even worse. But you know what? The hip itself is gorgeously wonderful, and any side problems are nothing compared to the shiny hip! I will someday get some professional attention for the tendonitis-- my hands aren't strong enough to do the trigger point release that helps.
So I will be here to cheer you on in not walking too far too soon, and we will meet up in 20 years and crow about how much our hips don't hurt :lol:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@zauberflöte I am so sorry to hear that you are still plagued by the old devil called tendinitis and I hope you are able to get some massage soon.It certainly helped me and from that point I got back to Pilates which I did weekly until it became too much for hip two and I had to give it up but I managed the classes from last September until the New Year without any tendinitis pain and that was my best period to date.Once I quit Pilates the tendinitis made its appearance again from time to time sooooo frustrating but I agree with you that the new right hip is wonderful and I am grateful for that.Of course it is early days with the left one but I intend to baby it for as long as big as it takes.Jacey gave me a good tip when it comes to walking 'only do half the amount that you think you can ' This will be my rule.How is your unoperated hip now ?
 
@kimm22 So, Pilates, eh? I have always been interested in that, and even bought a tape once-- back when tapes were the thing. Not that I opened the box... With your testimonial, I am encouraged to go to my Y for a class!!
Thanks for asking about hip 2. Bad to worse is how it's doing, sigh. I just keep trying to figure out when I can be assured that it's enough bone on bone for the insurance company to ok. Grrrr!
Remember we used to say "this time next year"? Well, for you that's going to be such a freedom and release from "hips waiting"-- I'm so happy for you!!!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@zauberflöte I had an X-ray on the morning of my op and although it showed a lot more deterioration it didn't show bone on bone despite me being in considerable pain and being totally dependant on a cane since mid May.This only goes to show that how unreliable xrays can be.After surgery my surgeon told me that I had extensive arthritis but just like the right one this was patchy and widespread.So just as painful when weight bearing on those bare patches but it does explain its Intermittant nature earlier on.As you know I had to jump through a few hoops to get my new left hip but at least it was a medical decision on whether or not to proceed rather than it been left to a health insurance company.You have my sympathies.All this waiting around means that we fail to get the best from our first hips.I suppose there can't be that many of us in this position worldwide and I have yet to read any research papers about it which may mean that we are a small minority of people with hip displasia in substantial pain but good xrays.Actually I met a guy in the hospital when we were all doing stair practice with the physio who told me he had waited 4 years between hips despite being in pain and there have been one or two Bonesmart users in the same boat so it can't be that uncommon.I suppose the vast majority have xrays that match the deterioration in their hip joints.I am hoping and praying that your next X-ray shows bone on bone.
 
@Kim22 reading your morning post is so distressing for me. Although I do have my new hip now I went many years in pain being told my arthritis 'didn't look bad' it must be something else. Like many others I tried different exercises, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, anti-inflammatory drugs, etc. Although doctors want us to limit the time/amount of drugs due to the side effects often they don't really want to get to the root of the pain. My X-rays didn't look awful but when they did the surgery they were awful. It seems some doctors are OK with pain while others want us to be the best we can be doing the things we love. I finally had my arthritis diagnosed last December, I had the 'injection', it lasted less than 3 weeks, one would think that would have been a sign. Two doctors later I am now on the road to recovery. @zauberflöte and others in the same boat I wish you success getting the surgery you need.
 
Hello, @Kim22! I am hoping your day has been a good one. Is it still raining there?
I have to say I can sympathise with your peeing predicament. It is irritating, isn't it?
@zauberflöte, sending good wishes to you that you can get the surgery you need. I don't like to think of you being in pain and not being listened to. Hugs to you! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Plum Perfect I am sorry to hear that you also had years of pain before you got your new hip.I believe that those doctors who want us to be the best we can and to do what we love are worth their weight in gold.I am just so grateful to now have this wonderful new hip.
@DeepBreath the rain has stopped at last, we had a lovely first half of the day with blue skies and sun but by the time I got up after my afternoon nap it had clouded over again.It looks like more rain for the weekend.
I am doing ok thank you still making baby steps in recovery.I learnt to get in and out of bed yesterday myself but using the belt from my robe.Getting out of bed is a bit of a spectacle as due to my restrictions I can't bend forward so I have to lasso my foot by throwing the belt loop over the foot.My husband had a bad back from too much gardening and lifting my legs in ans out of bed was making hip back pain worse so I decided it was time to go it alone.Part of the problem is that we have a memory foam mattress which is great in every other aspect but makes this move harder.I did plenty of exercises to build up my core and arm muscles but maybe I should have done more ! This afternoon I was deep in thought as I stepped off the bottom stair and realised that I had walked into the lounge with only one walking stick and I was ok so another positive sign.
 
Hiya thought I had better answer in your thread. Yup I love it here. I left Peterlee in the early eighties to go to uni. My bro still lives there he is market trader and driving instructor.
My OS wants me to get a grip on my CRPS thingmabob. Also I need to get a financial cushion again. So for now it's just hang in there a tad, that hip is bad walking and standing but CRPS pain is massively worse.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Legin I understand your situation better now thank you for explaining.From what I have read on here you are having regular therapy to help the CRPS and so far you have seen some improvements I hope I am right about that and that you continue improving whist you build up your financial cushion.Have a great weekend.
 
Thanks yes I am making improvements just going thru a wee flare up. The main thing is thru the mind, however poor Harold my one braincell gets confudled. A grand weekend to you too.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Last edited by a moderator:
CRPS = Complex regional pain syndrome is an uncommon form of chronic pain that usually affects an arm or a leg. Complex regional pain syndrome typically develops after an injury, surgery, stroke or heart attack, but the pain is out of proportion to the severity of the initial injury.

The cause of complex regional pain syndrome isn't clearly understood. Treatment for complex regional pain syndrome is most effective when started early. In such cases, improvement and even remission are possible.
 
For me its an area in the foot that is mega sensitive even wind and if I bang it well its like banging funny bone. As it is also my toes it make walking interesting at times.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thank you Bottomshollow for the explanation. I'm sorry @Legin that you are experiencing this additional problem, is it common after hip replacement? I hope you see continued improvement, sending happy, healing thoughts to you.
 
@Kim22, :yay: for walking with one stick AND for getting yourself in and out of bed. That feeling of being able to do that is so wonderful!
I'm glad you had some lovely weather today and am sending good wishes for more. I'm sorry to hear you about your husband's back. That sounds a bit like my husband's situation. His is quite painful sometimes and there are times where, together, we're barely one functioning person. :heehee:

Here's to a lovely weekend and more forward strides in the recovery process! :flwrysmile:

@Legin, I am so sorry to hear about your pain. You'd never know it from your witty and upbeat posts. Best wishes, friend.
 
Congratulations on your accomplishments! It's the little things that mean so much to us in our early stages of this recovery process! You are doing fantastic! BTW.. I have a memory foam mattress as well, so I can relate to the problem you mentioned. I found some sheets that were slick, but very comfortable, and it was amazing to me how much easier it was to "slide" in and out of bed. They also helped when it came time to slide my op leg over to get up. OHHH...one other thing...if you have no footboard, try skooching to the foot of your bed and get out that way. In the beginning, that's what I did and boy was it easier..even used that method to get in, as well. Just a thought...
Have a great day @Kim22 ... Or is it bedtime for you?
 
@Nana757 thank you for the information. The bed does have a foot board so scooting to the bottom is not an option but I will look out for some slick sheets.I find it easier getting out than in.it is 8.40 pm in the UK so getting towards bedtime and yet another Clexane injection.Something to look forward to NOT!
@DeepBreath My husbands backache only seems a problem after doing a lot of gardening, cycling or going to the gym and is never long lasting and I am sure if he did some suitable stretches would help but he has little faith in physios after my experiences over the years.

It looks like it is going to be a wet weekend here.I wish you all a happy and healing weekend whatever the weather
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom