THR Hi, Yearly update

Hi @Jackie222 I was the same about the injections but having done one last night it really wasn't a big deal may get a bit fed up after 4 weeks but thats what consultant advised so went with it. I am in Nuffield Warwickshire just between Kenilworth and Leamington lovely place are you localish to there? Just had final physio and should be released this afternoon other half and daughter coming to collect me soon. I did dry Jan basically to help pre op but will continue now on run up to next may sneak in the odd glass of red as a treat. Hope you are getting on well all being well this is life changing surgery.
 
Welcome to recovery, Martin. Are you going home today (Friday)? Good luck with that compression machine. I thought it felt good. Like massaging my legs but those tubes are a nusience. Keep doing those leg pumps, ice and elevate. It really does help. Keep us posted on your recovery. It’s been a long journey for you.
 
I’m getting on great thank you @mcopt. I was in so much pain before and struggled to walk quite how I managed to keep working on the farm I’ll never know. I guess sheer determination will get you through a lot. But I now feel like me again. I’m in Sutton Coldfield. But had my op at Spire Parkway Solihull. As my surgeon stopped working at the Spire hospital here.

Glad to hear you’ll soon be home.

I’m also planning on continuing but promised a girlfriend that I’d have a drink when we’re out tonight so a slight blip :loll:
 
Martin, glad to hear you're doing so well! I'm glad I didn't have to do the injections - I tend to pass out at the sight of needles. That made giving myself 2 insulin shots a day for the last 2 months of my first pregnancy so fun!

Keep walking and moving around - it helps to keep things from stiffening up. That doesn't mean you can start chasing the nurses instead of running away from them, though. Although that could be good exercise and they can probably run faster than you right now!
 
@Jackie222 I had my first consultation and x ray at Parkway I only live a couple of miles from there in a village called Barston who was your consultant? I know what you mean about that pre op pain I am back home now and even at this very early stage I am moving around the house much better with less pain than before just hope it stays like that, just my left one letting me down now, can't see myself not having a glass or 2 occasionally just cautious around the surgery time enjoy your night out tonight :cheers:
 
@SaraK the reason my consultant uses shots is because he uses a dressing called aqua cel its applied obviously sterile but can be left on for 2 weeks some of the blood thinners can cause weeping but the shots tend not to therefore don't cause problems with the dressing not keen on doing them but first wasn't too bad see how next one is in an hour :gaah:
 
Hi @mcopt yes I know barston quite well used to socialise with barston young farmers back in the day :heehee: I was in Coleshill YFC. I grew up in Shustoke which is a village near Colrshill and the proud possessor of 2 good pubs! Not that I actually drank until my late 20’s. Too much of a control freak!

My surgeon was Mr Goswami a man of few words!
 
Interesting on the dressing. My incision was done with absorbable sutures and skin glue. I had a regular dressing that I was to change the next day after I showered and then, when no drainage/seepage for 2 days (which was the first 2 days both times), could leave with no dressing at all. Just another way that each surgeon is different! Sometimes you wonder if we all went through the same procedure!
 
@Jackie222 you don't by any chance know Caroline and Paul Hadley ? Mr G has a good reputation . I know Coleshill well I was brought up in castle brom and still work there.
 
@SaraK I think every OS has their own idiosyncrasies with regard to details done shot no problem just wish my old hip wasn't hurting a lot still
 
That hip's just trying to make sure that 1) you have something to compare the new one to so that you'll realize how much better it is after the surgery and 2) you don't forget it since it's been patiently waiting for its turn!
 
Hi Martin,
I hope you made it home and are all settled in. Comfy, cozy, warm, with well controlled pain.
There's no place like home for recovery.
Wishing you a peaceful relaxing weekend of healing!
@mcopt
 
Sounds like you are doing well at home @mcopt. It is rather amazing that through the post op pain we can feel the difference. Sorry the left hip is acting up on you.
 
Hey Martin - you're home! Loved hearing you are moving around better post op and not in dire straights for pain.
Do they have you on decent pain control? Have you scheduled the second hip already? My OS likes to have 6 weeks between minimum. My "good" hip is starting in to be as bad as the R.
 
That image is not funny but your comment is.
Beautiful bike, by the way.
And a very good walker also but I have to admit the aids I used, walker, toilet chair, really bummed me out visually.
All Temporary! They are in my attic now.
Temporary and well worth the payoff.
You will be back to riding like Irish Joe in time!

Oh the aids are so old feeling. And I am not old. I just have to keep reminding myself it is very temporary. Beside my chair, my station, looks like my 94 year old dad’s. EVERYTHING I could possibly need and more.
 
Home is where the healing hip is...sorry that other hip is aggravated as its hard enough to get comfortable with so much sitting and laying. That did my hip the worst. People would see me limp and ache about, and say, you need to sit down and rest!
I thought, yeah, that'd be nice!
Hope you are able to get settled and stay medicated, and iced.
Ice even if no prominent swelling.
Lots of trauma in there trying to get sorted!
Yay for healing.:ok:
 
Hi @mcopt so happy to hear that your recovery is going well. You’re an inspiration, I really need the positivity of your posts. I’m starting to get serious jitters and it didn’t help to take a peek on the post-op side. Yikes! :yikes: Of course the rational side of me knows that people tend to post more when they need help with a problem and not so much when things are good, which is why following your journey is so helpful. Thanks for being so positive, I’m sure it’s contributing to your recovery, and it’s helping me as well. Oh, and I agree with the others, ice even if you don’t think that you need to yet.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom