Guest viewing is limited

THR Hi, Yearly update

They serve wine in your hospital??? I can get behind that!

Early days are a bit rough but you'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel in a short time. I'm 8 weeks post op and feel like a new person.
 
I'll echo others - get started on the ice as soon as possible. It helps with the pain, reduces swelling (which helps with the pain as well) and reduces the need for pain meds or allows them to get ahead of the pain more easily. Ice early and often!

Take care and keep on healing! When do you head home?
 
I'd try to fannagle some ice ASAP. There's no time like the present.
The stuff works! Tell them to get the ice or you'll have your posse after them.
That be US :fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse:

Just like the mailman through rain, sleet, snow. We're not going to let a lil' ol ocean get in our way!
(for those of us state side anyway)
@mcopt
 
I agree with all the others... Ice is key. I pretty much tried to keep icing every hour while in the hospital and ever hour I was sitting or laying down at home for at least the first couple weeks. I had no bruising or swelling and I think it had a lot to do with the ice...
 
Hi had a busy day on Thursday its now early Friday morning here managed a decent ammout of sleep then needed bathroom had a ramble around the room and now going to see what rubbish I can find on the TV at this time of the morning and treating myself to a square of dark chocolate, supposed to be good for circulation! Thursday was bloods xrays and 2 physio sessions walking ok with 2 crutches and feel comfortable putting a reasonable ammout of weight on the new leg have been rambling up and down the corridors old leg feels ok at the moment but not a good time to assess. Mr Cronin was happy with xrays everything where it should and so far wound is comfortable and healing well no bruising yet and minimal swelling although sure it may get a bit worse over next few days don't feel I need to ice yet but have it ready and waiting at home. Have been given self injectable blood thinners wasn't looking forward to doing that but surprisingly easy so far but think I might get a bit feed up of jabbing myself after 4 weeks :groan: . Mr Cronin is a big fan of using that method apparently. Hoping to be discharged today but see how physio goes later feel ok to go home but wait and see no point rushing at this stage @jaydub63 lol think that was me hallucinating about the wine although there may be a cocktail happy hour on Fridays :martini: :heehee:but I may miss that . Trying to think of new thread title now :chinstroke:
 
@Tomgirl sorry meant to mention play list I don't have a clue what I was listening to I downloaded a playlist off Spotify I searched surgery and some guy had put a play list on there of 300 or so tracks all quite good. I was messing with my phone to start with as I selected wrong playlist then found it put it on random play few bars of something then lights out !
 
@Mascaramom hi can honestly say I dont feel like I need it yet I think as I get more active and taper painkillers down I will appreciate it have some waiting in freezer at home. Hey, hope you are doing ok you are bound to feel anxious at this stage but please believe me this is nothing as bad as our imagination trys to tell us in fact its not bad at all I know you will do great and we will all be there for you :friends:
 
All great fantastic news @mcopt! Walking the halls! I am so happy for you. This surgery was a long time coming and now you sound to be doing so well.
You will enjoy getting home and regrouping from there.
Do you have a dressing on the incision or did they do the glue and waterproof covering? Inquiring minds here?
Will be looking for your picture in the incision thread!
 
@BeBe hi yeah I had incentive to walk was trying to escape from nurse before she came to show me how to self inject didn't quite make it to the lift though:running:but anyway self injecting really no problem . I think they used something called aquseal for the dressing and I think it is self dissolving stitches they said they will give me notes about it on discharge re showering etc other half was taking picson first day she always has to take pics:shrug: will put some on for those of you who are brave enough :censored:when I get home can't seem to send pics on my phone need the laptop. Just realised your op is today its all going to be great sending mtmy thoughts and best wishes to you soon be on this side x
 
Glad you’re all done and recovering now :wave:
 
Thanks @mcopt but it was cancelled on Wednesday. Again! :gaah:Something amiss with my blood work clotting times.
I know you can appreciate this setback for me...
I am having all manor of labs now to figure out if it is something or nothing. Probably genetic. Will find out more on Tuesday.
Once I get medical clearance I will be put on a cancellation list.

Your wound sounds like what they will use on me if I ever get a surgery :umm: they said no showers for 3 days.
I am so encouraged by your experience so far. But still want to see the pics!
 
@mcopt. I am here. I was released at round 5pm yesterday. seem to be sleepy alot! We had 2 sessions of PT before i finally got discharged , I am very stiff and sore and learning to navigate my around my home (my Walker will not fit into my only bathroom except sideways} . Home PT arriving today at 8am. I am sleeping on and off and just happen to be awake and alert right now though it is late. I was dreading the ice as we are in the teeth of winter but I find it wonderful and soothing and it doesn't put me to sleep.:sleep:. We made it:wowspring:! To those following us soon I am wishing you all good thoughts:hugzz:
 
@BeBe so sorry to hear about cancellation but its vest that everything is right before they start good luck with sorting the blood issues out you get to the stage where you really want to get on with it :fingersx:
@crispy great to hear from you it all feels awkward to start with did you have a spinal? I do find everytime I do something it gets a little easier the next little and often seems to be working for me so far, tiredness is quite normal I think all part of the healing must admit its my old side that seems to be giving more dicomfort as time goes on here's to a smooth recovery :yay:
 
@mcopt hi Martin glad your recovery is going well! I haven't touched a drop of wine since my op but I may have a glass of wine this evening.....all helps with the recovery eh?? You seem to be doing better than I was! I kept passing out every time the PT got me on my feet!! So I was in for 4 days which was a pain. It's better when you do get home so I will keep my fingers crossed for you to get discharged today.
 
Happy happy you are doing well.
Some rough first days, but with a huge payoff.
I didn't have a bad hip to contend with in recovery, so easy does it, but I did feel like someone used BOTH legs as punching bags.
One down. Hope they are taking good care of you, mcopt!
:friends:
 
How nice to see the new title of your thread @mcopt! You sound to be doing very well with your new hardware. Glad you are so mobile. My doc use pills for blood thinners instead of shots ( I hope he hasn’t changed on that), but we do what we need to do.

Hope you get home today and get settled in for the weekend.
 
Thanks @MammaT I had an idea I would need to use shots as other people who have been to him did I could have gone on pills if I insisted but decided to stick to his advice did my own last night and it really was no big deal so don't worry about that, thoughts going out to you for the 5th
 
Hi @mcopt lol about the wine, I was going to ask which hospital you’re at as you’re not far from me. Now that dry January is over it sounds like it’s a hospital I should be a patient at.

I was really worried that I’d be given injections when I heard about them at my pre op. Thank goodness I got pills as me and injections do not mix well. :heehee:

Glad that your recovery is going well and that you should be home soon :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom