Guest viewing is limited

THR Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected

Wow @Mr.fun 12 hours on your feet at work. What is your job that requires you to stay on your feet that long? 12 hours would be exhausting even for someone who does not have your hip problems. I wish you a successful outcome and treatment for all these issues.
 
Update
Nothing much has changed with the hip in regards to it getting better. It actually has gotten worse. Im still limping. My Right knee and ankle are hurting. Ankle has loss ROM. Lower back is killing me now. Left hip is tight and clunks off and on now left still has full range but tight and burning. My THR had Poor hip flexion and extension. Zero internal rotation. 5 degree external and maybe 5 degrees adduction and abduction. I am Still enjoying the Extreme pinching sensation in my hip flexor when sitting and a really bad pull or tugging sensation when lying on my back. Always need a pillow under my knee or it pulls. After I work it feels like a guitar string in my upper thigh area (hip flexor). Sitting pain has been there straight out of surgery feels like it is getting worse. I could sit just fine, put on socks and tie my shoes prior to the THR. Actually all my complaints are from after surgery. I have an Appointment may 21 to ask why I am still waiting to hear back from the referrals. I foamed rolled on April 20th. went to bed and woke up to a nice red mark on the front of my thigh. ATTACHED IS THE PICTURE. I did hit something that shot pain all the way out the top of my hair. Red mark is to left of my anterior scar when looking down from my view. It has now gone back to normal and no I did not call or go see the surgeon.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    20240420_074944.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 155
Update
Nothing much has changed with the hip in regards to it getting better. It actually has gotten worse. Im still limping. My Right knee and ankle are hurting. Ankle has loss ROM. Lower back is killing me now. Left hip is tight and clunks off and on now left still has full range but tight and burning. My THR had Poor hip flexion and extension. Zero internal rotation. 5 degree external and maybe 5 degrees adduction and abduction. I am Still enjoying the Extreme pinching sensation in my hip flexor when sitting and a really bad pull or tugging sensation when lying on my back. Always need a pillow under my knee or it pulls. After I work it feels like a guitar string in my upper thigh area (hip flexor). Sitting pain has been there straight out of surgery feels like it is getting worse. I could sit just fine, put on socks and tie my shoes prior to the THR. Actually all my complaints are from after surgery. I have an Appointment may 21 to ask why I am still waiting to hear back from the referrals. I foamed rolled on April 20th. went to bed and woke up to a nice red mark on the front of my thigh. ATTACHED IS THE PICTURE. I did hit something that shot pain all the way out the top of my hair. Red mark is to left of my anterior scar when looking down from my view. It has now gone back to normal and no I did not call or go see the surgeon.

I’m really sorry that you’re going through this, and I hope that things get better.
 
Almost matured. I have an appointment with a new surgeon July 11 2024. Hopefully get some answers on how to proceed. My whole leg is shot. Pain all the way down into my ankle. Ankle is stiff and knee hurts now to. When one part of your chain is off it affects everything. My back is hurting as well. Still not sure why surgeons don't prescribe meds for HO. Seems like a simple solution to prevent it. Instead This is the outcome. Not only is HO in my hip but it also is living rent free in my brain. I wonder if the older surgeons are just not up to speed on this stuff.
 
@Mr.fun hopefully the new surgeon will have answers and a way ahead as well as maybe some meds to help with the pain in the meantime. Keeping my fingers crossed this new surgeon is the one that has the fix! :fingersx:
 
Hi Mr.fun
I'm happy to read you have this appointment and hope you're able to get some answers and the help you need to return to living without the pain. Please keep us posted.
@Mr.fun
 
Mr. Fun,
So sorry, doesn't sound like much "fun."
Good luck with new surgeon, please keep us posted.
 
Even though your updated diagnosis is serious and will require additional treatment, I can only imagine the relief you must feel, having an answer to the miserable, ongoing pain you experienced following your surgery. Kudos to you for insisting on additional tests and not giving up. Here's hoping the next steps of your treatment go well!
 
Hey man. Yours is a story I've followed for a long time and one that gave me pause about getting the surgery myself. My heart breaks for you and what you and your family has been through as a younger pt with small kids myself. I've always hoped you'd have your recovery turn around and find relief, I'm sad you haven't yet. Still hoping for a positive outcome down the road and praying for your recovery. Stay strong.

From a western Canadian fellow first responder.
 
Almost matured. I have an appointment with a new surgeon July 11 2024. Hopefully get some answers on how to proceed. My whole leg is shot. Pain all the way down into my ankle. Ankle is stiff and knee hurts now to. When one part of your chain is off it affects everything. My back is hurting as well. Still not sure why surgeons don't prescribe meds for HO. Seems like a simple solution to prevent it. Instead This is the outcome. Not only is HO in my hip but it also is living rent free in my brain. I wonder if the older surgeons are just not up to speed on this stuff.
Hi Mr Fun
Im really sorry to hear of your really difficult journey.
I just wanted to make a suggestion in case your new surgeon appointment doesn't go well.
To find a specialist who focusses on a particular subspecialty eg hip HO, sometimes it is worth looking up recent-ish research papers, and cross referencing with specialists( look at hospital webpages, sometimes they list their staff/consultants, and surgeon heads of departments) in your area. If they are writing papers on your condition they are more likely to treat it regularly. Also - do you have hospitals attached to universities? If so there may be a much stronger connection with the specialist writing papers and treating patients for your condition.

Also, sometimes it is possible to 'use' a rare result/situation to entice a specialist as it can be 'interesting' for a specialist/researcher, and get you results sooner through a research facility where access to scans and tests can be easier than the health system.
Good luck, and best wishes.
 
Best Wishes for your appointment next Thursday. Please let us know how it goes.
I hope this visit with a new surgeon leads to answers and plan that brings you relief and the ability to engage in all of your interests without the pain.
@Mr.fun
 
We are all pulling for you. You will get through it with a better surgeon. It's just going to take longer than you had hoped. Keep us posted when you have updates!
 
July 11 2024 most current xrays
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20240719_202811_Chrome.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 108
  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20240719_202705_Chrome.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 112
How did the appointment with the new surgeon go?
@Mr.fun
 
Hi Layla
uneventful as I had thought. Some concerns mentioned the cup appears one size to big. Cup placement could be better but feels HO is the issue. Would not.revision cup. He is not experienced enough in the excision of HO. He has done it before with poor outcomes. Being referred to another surgeon and I wait again. I attached xrays and report. My back is absolutely destroyed right now. My Right knee is very painful and ankle mobility is limited. Hip replacement is stifffffffff and painful to sit. It feels better to walk or lay down with pillow under leg. I'm guessing 2 yrs away from getting this resolved
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20240719_202811_Chrome.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 90
  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20240719_202705_Chrome.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 85
Damn dude. I'm super sorry to read this. No platitudes make your personal situation any better but I'm gonna still keep checking back till I see the positive update finally where something is being done to give you that shot at life you thought you were getting with the replacement.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom