THR Herman's Debut! Jill's Recovery :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jillie422 I've been following along on your thread --you are doing great. Those crashes are hard to deal with but I had them with both knees -- pastries really help on those days -- even Mac n Cheese or a Root Beer float :SUNsmile: I think we have built up so much angst pre-surgery, then the stress of the surgery, the thrill of being "fixed", and then on meds --something has to give....
:good-bad:Hmmmmmm....... Thinking about firing PT today.
I hate the way they call up and announce what time they'll be here (in two hours)! So then I feel like I have to jump up, get dressed, pick up the house and make the bed. Then they show up, do their thing (which I do perfectly well on my own)....and any plan I had for increasing my walking is shot. I think I'm over them :eyebrows:
I hope you didn't get "ready" for them! The most I ever did was to make sure I had undies on :angel:
 
You're doing so well @Jillie422, I'm thinking you probably don't need them. Maybe you can put them on hold for a later date should you feel they would be of some benefit? Just saying...:)

Ok....I caved and agreed to let her come back on Thursday. My thinking is that I'll see her until I see Dr.D next week...and I'll ask him if I can stop, and just do my own thing. I have so much respect for him that I dont want him to lose his for me. So playing this PT thing by ear is my plan. Plus I liked her dangit lol
 
Day 9 of Jill & Herman's Hip Replacement Adventure Series :curtsey:

As mentioned earlier, PTKendra came to visit today. We did the usual bed exercises (same ones as we did in Hospital postOp Joint Camp)...then I walked the deck 4 times, about 120 ft...then off the deck and up the gravel road a bit...about 120 ft each way. Jax was thrilled to be walking with his momma and I was pleased as punch with my balance and gait. I'm using my cane...anyone need a walker?? I have two unused ones! :walking:

Then came"the energy crash". Inevitable, it seems! Getting used to it tho....rolling with the flow. CatNap. :sleep:

Pain level: practically non-existent....a little stiffness better describes it. Energy level...up and down. Sleep quality: still very, very good! :yawn:

My Wonderful Hair Gal called today and invited me to have her wash and blow-style my hair tomorrow!! Oh how I love Shasta! Of course I said !!YES!! She's not going to believe it when I waltz in there... standing up straight without groaning. I dont think she's ever seen me stand up tall. Better get me a goooooood CatNap before Hubby drops me off for some Shasta pampering :wink: tomorrow afternoon.

Hope y'all had a good day too!
 
pastries really help on those days -- even Mac n Cheese or a Root Beer float :SUNsmile:

Yum- love a root beer float, reminds me of my time in Canada!!!!
I will have to send some people on a hunt for some root beer and lactose free ice cream!
I have bought some protein powder to help me restrict my calories so I don't put on 10kgs in recovery!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Day 10! :loveshwr:

What a beautiful, sunny, cool day along the Valley River here in westernmost NC :) Herman and I are getting along beautifully, except for that giant bag of exhaustion he brought along with him :snork:! I'm still pooped with every exertion.

As promised, my dear Hair Gal gave my head a good scrubbing, blew dry and flat ironed my hair today. Herman did a great job getting me there (Hubby drove) and my salon friends were delighted to see me looking so happy standing upright and walking limp free.
Needless to say, when I got home from just that little outing, I was super duper tired. It was worth it tho.... My hair was f-u-n-k-y! Next week I'm aiming for new red hair and a cut. I'd better rest up good for that!

Pain level today, 0... Just still that stiff feeling around Herman. Energy level: 3 lol. Sleep level: Still Good :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
PostOp Day 11 :gaah:

Today is the first really bad day I've had since Herman became my left hip buddy. PTKayla swooped by on her broom and made my life miserable! I think what gets under my skin about these PTtypes is that they have no regard for the activities you've been up to before they show up! I had already stripped the bed and got the laundry all sorted and ready to wash, which is no small task. Plus I had an awful night of pain. I inadvertently let it get out of control and y'all know what that means. I want PTKayla to give my doc a rave review, so I put on My Happy Face as she tortured me with exercises, and then walked a good distance on our gravel road, standing tall with great posture and perfect gait (this killing me). So now, my day is ruined bc I can't escape the pain and can't find my zero pain comfort spot that I can usually slide right into. Oh and as she's boarding her broom to leave, she drops the bomb that next week "we"' will be adding WEIGHTS to my exercises. Seriously?????? Not In This Lifetime!! So now I'm a sniveling, whining, laying in the bed, mess. :bawl:
 
Oh Jill, I am sorry that the PT turned out to be not at all what you needed today. I hope that you can get the pain back under control quickly and that you can get a good night's sleep. Very gentle virtual hugs coming your way.
 
@Jillie422 ~ darn it!!! You had things under such good control! All I can say is......thank goodness you and Herman went to the hair salon yesterday......BEFORE the 'broom' arrived!! Maybe you've already forgotten the mantra from around here.......rest, elevate, ice....don't do anything that hurts!!! (that includes the PT!!) ~ Time to stomp your feet.....the good one.....and let them know who's boss. Tell the 'broom' that Herman says NO! ~ In the meantime, get comfy, take the meds, pamper yourself......sleep well. xxoo
 
@Jillie422 Stripping beds, sorting laundry --:yikes: :censored: way off the list of things that I'll be doing at your point in recovery. From someone who has gone through two TKRs -- I will be focusing on rest and relaxation, round the clock pain control (meds and icing), and exercise that is specific for the THR. The Bonesmart mantras say it all. I find it takes a certain amount of discipline for long term recovery.
 
Well, feeling waaaay better now... But what a day!

Don't worry all y'all.... Hubby was hovering and doing all of the heavy stuff so that I didn't over-do. Then it took me until 630pm to be able help him put the clean sheets on the bed lol. Horrible day... glad it's behind me! Upward!

Yes.... Time to fire PT. I want to walk when I want to walk...be able to do few things around the house when I feel like it.... But with their visits looming over me I feel like all I can do is rest up in anticipation of those. Hate that kind of stress... And it's the only stresser I have right now, so... Off With Their Heads!!
 
But with their visits looming over me I feel like all I can do is rest up in anticipation of those.

I can relate to this. Even though my PT didn't push me at all and actually gave me some useful tips and exercises, I am much relieved that all the home care visits (nurse, OT, PT) are over.

Now rest up and get back to recovery YOUR WAY.
 
@Jillie422 I enjoy PT --makes me feel as though I'm on the path to recovery. I've never had one who led me astray or pushed me in any way. They have been able to identify solutions to problems I wasn't even aware of. Hope you will make the "firing" decision with your wonderful doctor.
 
Day 12 :thumb:

It's been a dreary, rainy day along the river. I like it! Slept really well last night after my trying day of pain and frustration yesterday....woke up this morning feelin much, much better :)

Hubby suggested that I accompany him to "Fred's" which is like a mini Wal-Mart and the only shopping here in Andrews, NC other than Dollar General. It's still a bit of a challenge getting into our Ford Explorer....but easier than it was earlier this week when I went to the OS :) Inside the store, I found out that I could walk with better posture and gait - plus less pain - using my cane as opposed to leaning on the cart like I did PreOp. Felt good to be out...and it was a good way for me to get my walking in on this sun- challenged day :)

Pain level:
2, while walking,
Zero when laying down with head and knees elevated...and pillows! :thumb:

Energy level:
SO MUCH BETTER!! Didn't feel totally drained but once today. :) :)

Yippee!!! :wow:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, I don't know about PT. I have read sooo many threads where PT was a culprit in causing chronic pain issues. I'm sure PT has its place, but I'm not sure if it's very helpful during early recovery. I kind of feel if one is progressing well without it and one is disciplined enough to adhere to a walking regime (and increasing as tolerated), why ruin a good thing? Just saying...

Anyway, I'm so happy you're getting back on track and I can't wait to see you as a redhead! I've always felt red hair is so striking on many women and I think you will look stunning too! :-)
 
I was very happy to read about how much better you are feeling today! A good night's sleep sure can work wonders.

Interesting that you felt better using the cane than leaning on the cart as you did pre-op. We are going to be making a brief stop at Costco on Monday if I feel up to it after we go to a meeting. I didn't like leaning on the cart much so willl see how it goes with the cane.

May you now continue to go forward in your recovery!
 
Happy Sunday BoneSmart Family!

As I enter Week 3 of my post-Herman adventure, I'm happy to report that those extreme exhaustion episodes are farther and fewer between. :yes: Am cutting down my Percocet from 1 to 1/2 every three hours, and from 2 to 1 at bedtime. Seems to be well taking care of any discomfort. Any pain I might have had is totally gone. I do notice that I'm super tuned into Herman. He hates sitting in a chair that brings him anywhere close to that 90 degree angle, and I'm very careful with not crossing the midline with him. He gets upset lol. And I think that I can feel the tissue around him swelling in revolt. I'm still increasing my walking and doing my exercises but my plan is to call in sick to PT tomorrow. I get my staples out on Tuesday and will talk to Dear Dr about it then :)

Today is the first day that I've felt like sitting outside all day. We have one of those zero gravity chairs that is super comfy for Herman. Bottom line is.... If he's happy, I'm happy lol. Here's a pic of that magic chair, of Jax and of Hubby watering his peppers and tomatoes. :)
[Bonesmart.org] Herman's Debut! Jill's Recovery :)
[Bonesmart.org] Herman's Debut! Jill's Recovery :)
[Bonesmart.org] Herman's Debut! Jill's Recovery :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom