Guest viewing is limited

THR Herman's Debut! Jill's Recovery :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been very interesting reading your recovery I had my THR on 14 Jan and due to blood loss during op and a reaction to morphine I did not get out of bed for three days. I was in ICU for two of them. I went home as planned on day 6 and did the exercises as prescribed by my surgeon no PT three weeks down the line I had my staples removed I took the dressing off after about 8days and wiped it three times a day with surgical spirit, I live in a very humid area and it is better not to cover open wounds, I gave up my crutches at four weeks as I found one crutch a nuisance. I started on an exercise bike at six weeks and this worked well for me, my husband had to help me on and off the first few days. Four months down the line I have just climbed my first hill in Dubrovnik 415 metres, muscles a bit sore but fine.
By the way I am 66 years old and had my op in South Africa and I am looking forward to hiking in Scotland and Spain this summer.
Let you hip heal for the first six weeks then just let your body take over, not your mind. I asked when could I tie my shoes, play bowls do this do that, and was told you will just do it, but do not push it. The only restrictions I was given no lunges and no running, that did not include running for the bus!!!


Suzmar
 
Just popping in to say Happy Memorial Day....and comment on your beautiful new picture! Lots of rain here Saturday and Sunday but sun and breezes today! Hope you didn't get too much rain so as to allow you time on your deck.
 
@suzmar Thank you for sharing your very interesting story! Just loved reading it.... And can't wait to hear about your hiking adventures in Scotland and Spain this summer! I spent part of my childhood in North Africa (Libya) and got to travel extensively as a preteen. Growing up like that has had a huge, wonderful impact on me so I'll anxiously be awaiting pictures! I'm definitely impressed with your progress, and will heed your 6 week advice. Right now I just want to be able to paint my toenails!!!

@Nana2-8 That's funny.....I was just thinking about you when your post popped up! Happy Memorial Day to You! No, no rain here, darn it! Hubby and I were just saying how much we need a good drenching rain day. Poor Jax can't stop sneezing with the pollen, so we need that good , cleansing rain! :puppysmooze:

Things progressing nicely with my recovery.... My energy drains are farther and fewer between, but made Hubby breakfast this morning.... Then took a nap :heehee: . It's been nice not having PT calling and coming over......I do not miss them!!! :snork:

On Saturday, the kids will show up for their annual trek to our paradise. There goes our Peace and Quiet for a week! They'll leave behind our granddaughter, Taylor, who always spends her summers here. She's almost 12 now, so I figure she won't be interested in us for much longer lol. Middle School will change things, I'm sure.... So we will enjoy her to the max this summer! I'll post a picture of Taylor and her step sister Adalye last year.....the view from my chair. Luckily, I don't have to do much to keep my eye on them :snork:
 
Taylor and Adalye splashing and screeching :heehee:
[Bonesmart.org] Herman's Debut! Jill's Recovery :)


Taylor fishing in her jammies with bedhead :heehee:
[Bonesmart.org] Herman's Debut! Jill's Recovery :)
 
Oh my goodness - those pics of the girls are wonderful! You, no doubt, are very distracted this week with them there. But....REMEMBER.....you're still in 'recovery mode' so don't over-do! So true, that the girls spending time with you may vary in the years to come, so grab it while you can. Enjoy your time with them.
 
@Cynthia777 and @Nana2-8 .... Thankfully it's next week that they'll be here... So I still have a few days of quiet. Then Son decides he's bringing his family of 4 at the same time...so just shoot me! I have no idea where we'll put 8 people but Son is one of those who always has good intentions, but never quite follows through. I'm hopeful that he'll wait until later in the summer to bring his brood.

Yesterday we trekked to Walmart where we walked a little over a mile. This morning I helped Hubby change the sheets and boy oh boy do I have Energy Drain! I'm grateful that our bodies warn us to slow down when we reach our limits. My steri- trips have come off, incision site is looking very good and I'm totally pain free. I am heeding Josephine's advice and am still taking small amounts of the Percocet because I'm still amazed that it's only been three weeks!!

How are You Two Doing??? xoxoxo Jill :)
 
So happy to see you are moving ahead in leaps and bounds. It is absolutely about the surgeon! All the nurses are telling me my OS is the best in the state and they would have him if they needed surgery. Loving the red hair! The cleaner yesterday commented that she liked mine and was it natural? For a natural dark blonde I'm glad in looks natural.
Hopefully your family don't all come at once, I found as an adult I did separate a bit from family but have gotten closer to them in my 20's. enjoy your time with them xx
 
@Jillie422 - keep up the good work. As exciting and entertaining as having guests can be, remember you are still in recovery and will need to safeguard against overdoing it. No "hostess with the mostest"aspirations right now.

Haha @Cynthia777 that's what I figure!!! They just don't "get" that this takes a year to totally heal.

My surgeon has repeated this 1 year perspective a few times. Usually he reminds me again in response to my saying something about being frustrated and how hard it can be to be patient.

We will get there soon enough. Today let's just be grateful for today and receive the blessings and work through the challenges of this day. Go, BoneSmarties!

:flwrysmile:
 
You're doing so well, @Jillie422 ! It makes me quite dizzy to hear of all your adventures!
I think of the one year mark as where I'll be back to "normal" but to be honest I've forgotten what normal was like. I was looking at pictures of a day out from last summer and all I could remember was how how my heart sank when I saw this distance from the parking to the show ground. I'm looking forward to not having to think about that kind of thing next summer!
 
Thank You @Zelda ! But I'm far from totally normal! Those walks you mention are still daunting at this point, but I know they'll be attainable, possibly by August! And even more so by next summer! I'm trying to stick to the Slow and Steady mantra because I know that's the best.... But I find that it IS difficult when I feel so liberated without that awful PreOp pain!

Ohhhhh @Sommers16 ! I hate to say it, but I'm neither excited nor the hostess with the mostest with this year's visits!! I wish they'd all stay home! Or go to the beach! Anywhere but here! So much has to be done and none of them are considerate enough to let us know how many will be arriving. Daughter and BF are always fighting, so we still don't know if there will be 2 or 4 of them.... And Son rarely follows through with his plan to bring his family of 4, so there will be either 2, 4 or 8 arriving on Sunday! I'm over it and plan to utilize my recovering Herman excuse to the hilt! Hubby is calling No Fair LOL! Bet he now wishes it was his hip that was replaced haha :snork: So no worries about me over-doing :heehee:

@Josephine ..... :swim: What your opinion on swimming after THR? I do love to take our granddaughter to the beach at a nearby lake, but need guidance as to when you think when it's safe to do so. Monday will be 4 weeks. My staples came out two weeks ago. Thank you in Advance :yes:
 
I will be having a posterior left hip replacement June 17. I was interested in the comments about the zero gravity chairs. I have one and would love to be able to sit in it post-surgery. However, I'm not quite sure how to get in and out of it when I have to follow the hip precautions. Can you sit in it without one of those 4"cushions? If you don't use a cushion, how do you get in and out of it? And with a cushion, is it comfortable??? I've tried it a few times and I feel so awkward and afraid I will fall. Thanks for any information!
 
What your opinion on swimming after THR?
My opinion is that it is best left till about 4 months out at least. But I would also check with your surgeon to get his input.
I was interested in the comments about the zero gravity chairs. I have one and would love to be able to sit in it post-surgery. However, I'm not quite sure how to get in and out of it when I have to follow the hip precautions.
I don't see why getting out if it is a problem. People frequently misunderstand the 90 degree restrictions and think they mustn't bend at all! This is not the case. Of course you can bend, you just shouldn't bend past 90 degrees, that's all! Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule

However - and correct me if I'm wrong, I've never seen one of these things! - it looks like you need to push down with your legs to right it before you can get out. Now that would be a problem! I think it would be pretty much like using a manually operated recliner.

I tried one of those out in a store before I had my first knee done and just as I put the flap up, the salesman went off to get me some information. He was gone a while and I was trapped there as I couldn't push the flap down again!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom