THR Herman's Debut! Jill's Recovery :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@leslie2548 - Welcome! Do you have a thread set up yet for your journey?

I've been intrigued by the zero gravity chairs after reading about them here too. I had never heard of them, so I Googled to see what they looked like. I haven't seen one in real life.

I think I'm going to just keep winging it. Your left THR is June 17- my left THR was May 17. We both share the "posterior" method. I have found getting comfortable sitting to be a challenge at times because you're literally trying to sit on the work that has been done. Sitting on a pliable ice gel packet helps. Ahhhh!

You'll have to see what works best for you and your needs. I'm still experimenting and making tweaks as I improve physically.

It can be a little Goldilocks feeling, as in "this is too hard, this is too soft, this feels about right."

For me, having something firm, but not hard, and also not too low, has been important. You want comfort, obviously, but not to be "swallowed up" in something mushy.

I have a bedside potty for emergencies, and you wouldn't think it, but a cushion on top of the closed seat isn't bad. This is where I often use my hip kit tools for dressing. Do you have a hip kit yet?

For longer sitting stretches, I have some pillows and a cushion in a living room chair. My friend elevated it for me by placing bed risers under the chair's legs. That makes both sitting down and getting up easier. For the back of the chair I have a thick wedge pillow. It not only provides good back support, but it reduces the length of the sitting area front to back by moving me closer to the seat's front edge. I don't know if I am describing it very well for you to get what I mean.

I just wanted to encourage you that you will figure it out. I like to prepare and plan, and many things I did pre-surgery I am grateful I did. But there are other things that you have to figure out and modify along the way.

I have to say I've used my grabber stick contraption a lot. Having a few pair of men's boxers was nice for undies as they were/are loose and soft. My incision drained a good bit initially, and I didn't care about it draining on those. Using some floral wire to attach a basket to my walker has been helpful to carry things around. I don't know where you are prep wise, but this site has some very helpful and practical checklists. Something as simple as having lip balm at the hospital really does help.

Wishing you the best!
 
@leslie2548 Hubby helped me in and out of my chair the first couple of weeks of recovery.....but the last two weeks I've managed on my own :) What I love about the zero gravity chair is that it provides just the perfect position for comfort and recovery. Plus I'm outside, altho it certainly could be used inside too. And nobody better sit in my spot! :heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow is 4 weeks since my surgery. Doing well, but definitely over did it last week with family here. I guess i should've groaned and moaned and spent some time in bed, because they seemed to ignore and forget that I was only 3 weeks post op of my year long journey! Am paying the price with hip pain today, so back to total recovery mode. Granddaughter was left with us for two months and she wants to go, go, go. Hubby will have to take over that job this summer, I've done it the past three!

@Nana2-8 ..... Can't wait to hear about your first OS visit tomorrow!

How's everyone else doing?!
 
@Jillie422, ouch. Yes, it's back to recovery mode for you! Having your granddaughter with you for 2 months at this point sounds like a big job. How old is she? Is your husband doing everything for her at this point, I hope?
 
Thanks @Jillie422 - today's the day! 1:00 pm! - I hope I can swoon him with my charm and wit and get an appointment agreeable to us all. Will let you know....as soon as I know. Thanks for being in my corner.
 
@Krista She's 11, so not much work.... But Hubby is at bat this summer lol. She's at that age where the cuteness is gone and the attitude flares at the least little thing. It's a good thing that's she's wearing him out with her manipulations. I'm in recovery haha

@Nana2-8 Oh I can't wait to hear!!!!! Sending you love and luck! I'm sure you'll swoon him!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Several years ago my step-daughter, cousin and best friend all had 11 year olds and they all said this was by far the most difficult age yet! Mouthy, real mouthy! :heehee:
 
Taught 7th grade for 12 years.....I would say 11-13 age girls are tough! Grin. Glad your husband is helping! Take it easy!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
So..... Here I am 5 weeks post op. This week I have walked 3/4 mile each day without my cane.... And today I actually went up 12 steps like a grown up instead of with both feet, stopping on each one! I was thrilled.... And also pooped when I got to the top, but the view was amazing! I'm still amazed that there's no pain. And people can't believe I'm walking like I'm 35 again :) I just love Herman!

Nantahala Lake, NC

[Bonesmart.org] Herman's Debut! Jill's Recovery :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom