BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Here I go again!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by julesglass, Jul 11, 2019.

1. julesglass

julesglass graduate

United States United States
    You got it @Barbaraj. Each day is new beginning. PBS is all I can get on antenna at times. Weather goes stormy I lose the other 4 channels I usually get. Today I was able to make coffee this morning all by myself and getting ready to wash some dishes. Later I'll get a meatloaf ready for Deb to pop in the oven for dinner. Had a friend come over and freshen the water in the bird bath and water my wild rose starter. I wanted her to pull my rhubarb however she said she has a black thumb, oh well. It's so hot my A/C hasn't shut off for I don't know how long, heat index is at 116. Paid the guy last night to tell me everything is fine with it, just too hot. You take it easy! :wink:

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hugs and sincere wishes for a steady trajectory toward healthy and happy.
    Dealing with the oppressive heat here also.
    Makes the icing easier however...
    :ice:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  3. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

116 degrees, @julesglass?!! And miserable where you are, too, @Mojo333? That sounds just horrible, glad that it's sunny here but temperatures are in the 70's although will creep up maybe into the 80's by next week. Friend just left, dropping off some chicken noodle soup and we had a nice chat--nothing like a cheerful chat with a friend to boost my mood.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

When you think about it, it's amazing what you're capable of doing already. Getting your morning coffee, washing dishes and doing some meal prep.
    Four hour stretches of sleep is really good. It sure makes a difference to feel refreshed.
    Keep up the good work, you're doing great! I hope you gave a nice weekend.
    @julesglass

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    How are you doing @julesglass ? It feels such a wonderful achievement to make our own coffee doesn’t it?

What is a black thumb? Must be bad to prevent rhubarb pulling :loll:

It sounds like you are doing much better which is wonderful. I hope you have a comfortable day

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. julesglass

julesglass graduate

I'm doing good @Fiona444. Black thumb is she kills plants when she has tried to garden. She was freaking out about it so I let her off the hook. I'll watch for a neighbor and ask them as I have alot of rhubarb to get pulled. I enjoyed my coffee outside this morning. Have to stay on the upper deck however it was relaxing just to be putside, my favorite spot to be. Figure when the temps cool off some next week I'll venture out to my tree. Got the cable guy coming this afternoon to hook me up with WiFi so I watch Netflix. There's a second season of mind hunters coming up in August I have to watch. First season was three years ago and it is so good I'm excited to see second. It is about the very beginning of the FBI profiling of serial killers. Fascinating how it started with one agent asking the question of "how do these people think and how do we catch them". Anyway I'm down for a nap take care.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It sounds like your doing so well @julesglass
    Glad your getting out to enjoy your morning coffee in the fresh air with the sights and sounds of nature.

Speaking of Mindhunter, which I haven't heard of, reminds me of the series Criminal Minds. Have you watched it? It sounds like the one you mentioned is about real criminal profilers. Criminal Minds was a made for tv series which I really enjoyed until I saw a few really dark episodes that kind of freaked me out and I was done.

I'm above you location wise and we're finally getting some rain this morning that will drop the steamy unbearable temps of the last few weeks. Aaah, sweet relief is on its way. I hope the same for you.
    Have a great weekend!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Oh, I can't wait to have my morning cup of java outside, @julesglass! I probably could now, but feeling a bit tentative and I don't want to venture outside until I am a bit more confident. Still, it's a beautiful day in my neck of the woods so I have the upstairs windows open to bring in some sunshine and fresh air! You are doing great! Have a good Saturday!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. SelfHelp

SelfHelp member

@julesglass , 116 degrees in Iowa, is that normal? I thought only southwest, like Arizona, New Mexico could get that hot?
    How are doing with your daily activities and the 3 precautions? Getting enough sleep at night is my biggest challenge. I still cant sleep on my side, even with pillow between legs, after a few minutes the hip starts hurting. Does the hip need more time?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@julesglass sounds like you've turned the corner on that rough patch and are starting the good healing route. Nice that you're able to enjoy your coffee outside. I've pretty much just stayed holed up in the house with the AC as it's just too stinking hot outside. Planning to do a light grocery run this afternoon so will get some fresh air then. Have a great Saturday!

• Like Like x 3
  11. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Good afternoon fellow hippies! Boy that was a good nap. Mind hunters is a Netflix original series that takes you through the imprisoned killers that FBI agents interviewed for the base info to catch others with along with cases they were able to use the info they got from these killers. I have watched criminal minds and I liked it. I'm going to watch the first series again to refresh before the new ones. I highly recommend it if you like good true crime stuff, I'm a junkie. No @SelfHelp the temps haven't been 116 , that's the heat index with actual temp in the upper 90's. We'll get rain early Sun morning and temps will be down into mid to upper 80's. I did turn off the A/C yesterday for about 2hrs to give it a rest as it hadn't stopped running all afternoon. One day at a time, one week at a time @Elf1. It's the only way to get through this. Got a cat napping on my lap and Lucy on the couch listening to "real" country. You know steel guitars, fiddles with George Jones and Tammy Whynet. Only thing better is kick the walker to side and dance! :happyfeet:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@julesglass that sounds like an interesting series, may have to check it out. Have been a Criminal Minds fan since the beginning. Hanging out with a squirmy work cat rolling all over my lap and watching Vanilla Ice Project reruns. Ice, ice baby!
    :ice:

• Like Like x 1
  13. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Well, the cable guy called to let me know he would be coming to hook up WiFi and my phone. Told him I didn't order a phone hook up and he told me he couldn't hook up just WiFi cause the order was for land line also. :oyvey: Sooo I've got to call to get that taken off work order to get WiFi. I was so excited waiting for his call I got online and ordered Netflix before I got the call. Luckily the first month of Netflix is free so won't be paying for the days I'm waiting for hook up. Oh well so be it. At least I'm home "all day" and will get the earliest time. Anyway I laid down for a nap and was awakened by the thunderstorm with very high winds. Got up and found my back door was open banging against the house. Picture this.... lady in a night shirt with a walker leaning in against wind and rain blowing into the house. Now I'm standing in the door way waiting for door to swing back towards me. Trying to catch a wet door and it teasing me swinging back against the house. I felt like a crew mate on a stormy ship trying to secure the hatch! I finally got the door back in it's rightful position, closed! Deb hadn't got it latched when she left earlier. We had a good laugh about it this morning. No harm to the door. Take care everybody and mind the hatch!:snork:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  14. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

hello! You are sounding mighty chipper. Even with the heatwave! We hit 100 degrees here and our heat index has been similar to yours. It's adding to my grumpiness. You know, the grumpy and energy drain stage.
    Hopefully this is our last day of it ( the heat) and hopefully you've already gotten past the worst of yours?
    Getting outside really helps in our recoveries. Glad you are doing so well. :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  15. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

You're sounding well. Oh what a fun time trying to catch the door. I remember trying to rescue a table umbrella from a pop up storm before it broke in two from the wind. I'm top of the table, under the table trying to unscrew all the attachments, then run it around to the car port without taking flight. And I had not just had a hip replacement! Think Mother Nature just likes to remind us who's in charge. Have a great rest of your Sunday.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

Jules you made me laugh and that is a wonderful thing at 2.30 in the morning :snork:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. julesglass

julesglass graduate

It's good to laugh about the crazy things that happen around us and to us. For most of my life I was always embarrassed about mistakes I would make not wanting others to know how "stupid" I was. Then one day I did something and thought "that was silly" and I went and told a coworker what I had done and we both had a good laugh. It was a turning point for me to not take my mistakes so seriously. Now I share my fumbling and have fun with them. Laugh and have fun with it!:happydance:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Ohhh @Elf1 If that thing had gotten away with you unfolded you would have been Mary Poppins with a giant umbrella!!!:loll:

• Funny Funny x 6
  19. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

My day has been not-so-fun...right up until I imagined you trying to batten down the hatch! So much gratitude!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

I blew my nose and my nose stud decided to fly across the room and landed who knows where. Not a problem until I realised I couldn’t get on my hands and knees to find it. Was just about to call hubs when I spotted it and miraculously I could pick it up with my grabber! Who knew these miracle devices could be so useful :yes!:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3