THR Here I go again!

Thanks for your concern @Barbaraj. The muscles across my lower back and down my left leg are extremely tight and it doesn't take much to ramp up. 2 1/2 hrs at work is all I can stand right now. That's why I add a therapeutic massage into the mix. It's highly expensive and can only do one more. I'm doing what I have to do, getting back to work the best I can. One more week half days then see how it goes. This recovery is tougher than the first and I don't intend to over do it, however it will be difficult to avoid. Take care.

Well, @julesglass, you do make me glad that I'm retired now as a return to work seems like it would be really, really hard although I understand that you have to do what you must to keep moving ahead. I hope this last week of half days goes well, as I'm sure you're nervous about a return to full time work next Monday. I know it's hard to do, when you've got so much on your plate, but hoping you're able to grab some downtime daily. Wish you could get more therapeutic massages, and sorry to read you've only got one more left as they seemed to help. But you are a brave and realistic woman, and I know you'll do what you can to keep moving ahead. Best wishes, and have a good Monday.

Hi @julesglass
I'm sorry you feel this one has been tougher...but it certainly is still early on in recovery days.
I do so hope you baby yourself all you can in preparation for your anticipated return to more activity.
I'm guessing that the four month mark might be a much improved story.
Was for me.
Sending good mojo your way!

Glad to hear the massages help. When recovering we need some help with the sore muscles, for sure.
I'm sorry to read about your painful back. I hope you can figure out the right formula of work, rest, ice and heat..

Take care, hoping this is a good week for you! :flwrysmile:

Morning to all of you. I'm rethinking the PT. I think I'm only going to do the stretches in the morning and then stretches in the evening. I'm going to drop the exercises and just walking with the poles. I should have them tonight when I get home. I don't think pole walking has caught on here, I've not seen anyone doing it on the walk paths around here. I'm excited to try them out and see how to work them. I've watched some YouTube videos on it and hoping it's as easy to figure out as it looks. Dad said they've seen a couple use them in Arizona where they winter. I haven't been doing any walking after work due to back pain, so hoping the poles will help take the pressure off as some of the videos claim. I'm going to cancel PT this week and just go for the massage tomorrow and learn pole walking. I'm getting ready for work right now. I was able to get 4 1/2 hrs in yesterday, not too bad. Oh yeah, I noticed a "click" feeling in the new hip joint when I've done the march leg lift while holding onto a chair exercise. I remember seeing others have had this, however I don't remember the response to what it is. You all have a good day and keep on keeping on!

I don't think pole walking has caught on here, I've not seen anyone doing it on the walk paths around here.
You can start a trend! We see a couple of types of pole walkers here. First, people who are in training for a hiking trip and sometimes even carry a backpack. And second, people who look like they’re just using them to help walk faster. Once you get the hang of them and build up strength you’ll be speedily moving along. They are really helpful.

Don't worry about not seeing anyone on walking paths with poles. Nordic walking never really caught on but poles have been used for decades among those walking in the woods to aid balance in fording streams( usually no bridges) and ascents and descents. A walk in the woods is different in the East.. Trails go right up mountains( switchbacks are a really new occurrence here in the last year) and there really is no level ground anywhere.

Good to hear a return to work went well..

Hello jules,
Clicking and popping type sounds that happen during the healing process are considered normal. As the soft tissue and muscle tightens around the joint it will ease. I've read online that a popping sensation sometimes occurs when the psoas tendon rubs against the new hip. With healing and time it will disappear. It can occur while turning the leg side to side.

Good luck with the poles, Jules. Hopefully you get used to them and like them. Let us know how it goes.
Enjoy the massage today!
@julesglass

I first got my poles after the last hip since walking with the cane kept throwing my back out of balance and I had a harder time getting a good even and equal gait. I watched the videos for directions on height adjustments and how to use and it was pretty seamless. It was wonderful since you naturally swing your arms so now the poles go with it. The other thing it helped with my thumbs - I have arthritis in my thumb joints and leaning down on the cane made it worse - holding the poles relieved the pressure. On the plus side- using your arms helped my tighten up some and build strength just from the movement. I then used them when walking our fields (we have 70 acres) and they are uneven and have inclines and I did not want to fall or trip. Still used them even after my hip recovered as it made the walks much more pleasant and I could walk faster. I bought a $20 pair that were adjustable to test out and never bought any others since they worked so well. Mine even have the ability to change the tips for road (rubber) to pointy for ice and snow. I hope you enjoy them and they help your back as much as mine did.

Thanks @Layla. I figured it was no big deal with the sensation of clicking. It's only when I lift that knee up to just below my waist. My new shoes came in Monday so yesterday was alot better for my back. 50% of the back pain was gone! :yes!: Now to take care of the leg, limp in the morning for a bit and then towards the evening. Poles came and I started practicing in the house, too hot for outside. It would be great if I could walk with them and Lucy, however I'm not confident that will happen. Take care all of you hippie friends. :giggle:

Good Morning! :wave:
Isn't it amazing with the shoes? Jaycey is great at reminding people how our old frequently worn shoes should not be worn post op. Obviously we can't toss or entire shoe wardrobe, but most of us have a few pair we favor. It's a worthwhile expense to replace those frequently worn shoes in favor of new as you did, losing the pain in the process. Try the heel-toe when you catch yourself limping and see if it helps.
Have a great Wednesday!
@julesglass

You are doing splendidly and with such gusto and vigor. I admire your strength and perseverance and returning to work-- wow.Take special care of yourself when not working, rest, and do the things you enjoy most. I have those nordic walking poles and have used them really useful. I also notice when I have back or knee issues I change shoes and it often regulates the problem.Keep on progressing.

Oh, I bet with new shoes and the poles you'll be walking Lucy earlier than you think, @julesglass. It's remarkable what good shoes and the stability provided by walking poles can do for a girl. Think positive! I know this is your last week before return to fulltime work next week so I hope you're building up some reserves of rest combined with gentle activity so you're prepared. I suspect the first few days are going to be really tough, but thank goodness you will have a weekend every five days to recuperate. Hang in there--you are doing great! Happy Thursday!

Afternoon! Best day at work concerning pain. Had another massage yesterday, not as difficult as first one so improvement seen. It's been too warm to go outside with poles so have been practice inside. Got one groundhog caught! Neighbor has seen two so traps will remain till the other is caught. I could have worked another hour, however I chose not to push it till next week. They are asking for overtime for the next 2 weeks..... not happening with me. New shoes are great and comfy. I did canceled PT this week and I'm not going to go back for now. Working more hrs will be enough. I figure I'll go for 5 1/2 to 6 hrs next week see how that goes. Well, dishes are done, washed one of Lucy's blankets and time to head out to friends house. Thanks @mikeycat for dropping by and I send you a gentle hug, you take care. :console2:

:wave:@julesglass
Good to hear you are doing well and I think that transitioning back to work and listening to your body will serve you well.
You've been here before but it will be nice to fast forward and see how awesome you are going to be when all is settled.
Continued best wishes...:friends:

Afternoon everyone in hippie land! Getting a slow start today. Groundhog guy picked his trap because there hasn't been another caught. If I see another I'll call him up. Work went really good yesterday. Could have stayed longer, not pushing though because next week I'll set the goal up to 6 hrs anyway. That goal is not in stone, just one to shoot for. We've gone from too hot to lots of rain and thunderstorms now. Today will be a trip to Walmart and house work. Yuck, I'd rather be outside doing some "pretty up" the yard stuff. I'm still having the stiffness above my knee, however I'm just aware of it and it does work out once I've walked about five steps. I got through friday without pain pill! :yes!: Hoping that continues steadily with just a few hiccups here and there. Back pain is down even more now! :roseshwr: Went out to goodwill for work pants. I was disappointed I've gained some weight, darn ice cream. All in all I'm very pleased with where I'm at and moving on! Have a good weekend and rest well!:ok: It's all good, even when it's not!

@julesglass you sound great!! Good for you for making sure you didn't overdo at work. It's just not worth the brain damage afterwards when you get sore and stiff and worry that you did something wrong.
I am actually enjoying a less frantic pace at work. I'm probably enjoying it a little too much, in fact!

No pain pill on Friday? :happydance: A sure Happy Friday indeed..
Happy for you!!

P.S. Me too with the darned ice cream.. I have many things fitting tightly in the waist.. :flabber:

Sounds like a good weekend so far, @julesglass And I bet once you get back into a more rigorous fulltime schedule, plus everything else you do around the house, those extra pounds will be slipping away. In the early days of recovery it is more important to treat yourself well, hence the ice cream treats, there is lots of time ahead to cut back and be more deliberate about food choices. And no pain pill on Friday--woo, hoo! This is the start of the real return to a full and active life, I'm guessing. Cheers to you!

I had ice cream cone from McDonald's today on the way home from biking, then out to dinner to our favorite Chinese buffet and for dessert had icecream again. They let you serve yourself from the old style deep bucket icecream and the vanilla with real chocolate chunks is to die for.
Icecream is so gooooood tho. :heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom