BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Here I go again!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by julesglass, Jul 11, 2019.

1. julesglass

julesglass graduate

United States United States
    Heck yeah I'm going to be riding again! :fasthorse:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

What a wonderful surprise, jules.
    I hope you don't have any sore muscles today from swinging that leg up and down in delight.
    Don't forget your old friend > :ice: if you do.
    Thanks for sharing and have a great rest of the day!
    @julesglass

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Calgal

Calgal senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yippee! It's amazing that suddenly we do a movement, almost subconsciously from a long ago past, and experience the sheer JOY of realizing we can do it again without pain! I think these are the best treats of this whole hip replacement ordeal. :happydance:. Here's to many more of these little treats to come! :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

So, you are seeing improvements! And you walked around Walmart, that is pretty darn huge in my book! (I have a big book, too!) :heehee:
    You aren't scheduled for PT until 6 weeks so you have time to debate this for a while longer? My own personal thoughts for myself is to consider PT after 8 weeks, mainly to strengthen my back muscles, which hopefully will help me in my return to working full time again.
    But I won't do it if I am still so sore in the hip area.
    You know I am a fan of massage, and the circular circles around the incision are a good start. I do all around the incision in one direction then reverse it and repeat the little circles in the reversed direction.
    You are almost 4 weeks, so massage could help your thigh muscles.. I am getting so much relief with my massages.
    Do you have someone that you've used in the past and are comfortable with?
    Another helpful thing is to get your kitchen rolling pin and gently roll it up your thigh, you can reach the sides, too and its feels super good. If I lay on my bed or couch with knees bent it allows me full access to the quadriceps and lateral thigh.
    Less is more at this point, deeper pressure just adds to inflammation and right now we want to ease and flush that away. Well, that is my philosophy for me.

I am an equestrian too! I'm without farmland for the first time in my life- I was raised on a horse farm and have had many good horses in my life. I thought it very interesting that my left hip gave out first, the hip that bore the weight getting into the saddle. :horseriding: @julesglass

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Morning to you all. Well I put up 4 pints of strawberries in the freezer yesterday along with taking care of the table and dishes. Still have another 2 pints to take care of today. Boy I was pooped out after all that. I iced most of the evening, took my melatonin and did a massage. I noticed a hard area beside the incision scar, 3 finger in width and in length. Man it's super sensitive to a feather touch. :nah: I was a little sore this morning, especially across pelvic in the back, think I'll ice that also. Took Lucy in for a manicure and get her eye looked at. It's a gland under her bottom eyelid that fills. Left her to take care of it, I'll pick her up when she can walk on her own. She's gained 3lbs in about 2 months, too many treats I figure. Anyway she had gotten hurt last winter, pulled something in her hind leg. She still limps after she runs around some. Gotta get her help now that I'm done. You all have a good day.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  6. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Well, @julesglass, do you think putting up four pints of berries plus taking care of table and dishes might possibly explain that pooped feeling?! But sounds like you were sensible, and did things to relax and rest after that so this morning, I hope, you are feeling fine and ready to enjoy your day. Sure, you are sore this morning (isn't everyone in the mornings?) but I'm betting with reasonable activity and icing, you'll be doing great. Take it easy today after all that activity yesterday, but have a fabulous day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Afternoon to all. I agree Barbara that doing all that navigating the kitchen did poop me out. I picked Lucy up and she is now in the cone of shame, poor baby. I promised I won't tell anyone, however you all don't count.:heehee: She was able to walk on her own, however I had to help her up the steps of the deck, she hadn't recovered from the GA fully. It was a restless night for her, couldn't get on the couch so I helped her. I slept in the recliner, she tried to on the couch as she couldn't move around in her crate with the cone. She's feeling better now, however still looks at me like " really??". Asked about her leg, vet said surgery. Googled treatment for tendonitis for dogs and found cold laser therapy interesting. Did some calls, found vet about 2 hrs away that does it. Figure I'll try that before surgery. Enough about her, I'm doing good, more walking in the house without the cane not far though. Tried the steps one foot stepping, didn't work well. Still not enough strength in the left leg to walk without limp, however I see improvements. You all take care and keep on keeping on!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  8. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Poor Lucy! Sounds like she's struggling but I hope, like you, she'll see improvements (would be nice if the laser worked without the need for surgery) and the two of you will be sashaying into the winter months feeling much better and walking freely. You keep on trying too, @julesglass, slow road to full recovery but we're all going to get there. Have a good day!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Layla

Isn't that the truth. It's like when you put a costume on them, which I never did to my dog, put people do and the dog walks sheepishly along like - don't look at me, I know I look like an idiot - My dog used to seem irritated with the seasonal bandana that was tied around her neck after a session at the groomers. I'd take it off and she'd quickly run away like she was afraid I was going to put it back on her. :rotfl: Gotta love those furry friends of ours!

Good for you walking around more without the cane. The steps will come in due time. You're doing great.
    Enjoy the day!
    @julesglass

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. SelfHelp

SelfHelp member

@julesglass congratulations on your 5 weeks recovery. Getting ready to graduate and have the restrictions lifted?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry to hear about Lucy's issues. I hope you can get them sorted soon. My boy's do not like paraphernalia either. Nekked is how they roll...except for a collar and a harness when they are out.

Glad you are seeing improvements in your walking. Sometimes I feel as if I check myself too often and need to dial it back....or not at all and find myself doing stupid things like kneeling down :heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Morning Fiona. I like that, "my boys run naked." :heehee: I got a pink bandanna that said bully on it for her however it just rolled up and looked stupid. I did get her a coat for winter walks, I'll be able to use it more this season since we'll be walking more now. My grandaugther wanted to put a Christmas dress on her once. Finally got it on her beefy body, boy the dirty looks I got from her. I am hoping cold laser therapy helps her. I do find myself doing stupid things also. It's like I do it, no pain and try not to do it again just cause I'm still on restrictions. I want to give her a shower so bad, however I'm hesitant on the kneeling thing. I'm a bit swollen today from helping her with eating and drinking. Cone is designed for dog with a snout, so she can't reach her dishes on her own. The things we do for our "babies". Going to continue to work on the steps and navigating the house without the cane. Discomfort in my leg has gone down alot and only feel it as I work on the steps now. Little by little step by step we go! :walking:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

You girls and your beloved canine companions, @julesglass! I did grow up with dogs (my mother loved miniature dachshunds) but as an adult I've resisted. I've always said, "I'm raising kids instead" although I know the two are not mutually exclusive! But now the kids are gone, I could have a pet but I've gotten lazy in my old age, and when I see how much work my friends with pets put in (and certainly dog owners on this forum are busy with their pets as well) I realize that I don't want the responsibility. As I said, I have friends with pets and I dispense lots of pats and encouraging words when I visit. But then I wave goodbye and return to my pet free house and know that, for me, I've made the right decision.

Sounds like you are continuing to make progress if the discomfort in your leg is receding, and you will get there with the steps. As so many have commented, one day you'll go up and/or down without thinking about it, and you'll realize you came up or down normally, and you'll smile to yourself--yet another milestone on your hip journey! Have a great day.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Morning to you Barbara. Sounds like you enjoy your friend's pets like i enjoy grandkids. Have fun with them knowing they go home! :heehee: I can do alot of daily chores, not up to taking trash out let alone getting the can to the curb. Figure another week or so for that, until then I'll enjoy what I can do with no more hip pain!! :yes!: Enjoy your day as I will enjoy mine! :SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. Layla

That is funny...BULLY. Is Lucy a bully? They like naked too!
    What breed is Lucy? Too big for a bath in the sink / laundry tub type situation? Or are you near any of the grooming places where you can wash and dry your own dog? Maybe less bending over involved...

It's good to read the discomfort in your leg is easing. I hope it continues, jules.
    Have a great Thursday!
    @julesglass

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. julesglass

julesglass graduate

She is an English bulldog and enjoys showers. I have a walk in shower stall and a shower wand. Just need to be able to kneel, however she's not stinky just like to clean her up. She so enjoys it so much, I'll be able to after the cone of shame is off in two weeks. :dogwalk:
    Just got back from our walk and headed out for a bottle of wine for the second season of mind hunters this Fri. Pizza and wine with good series!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Morning to all my hippie friends. Lucy and I walk a full sq block this morning! :yes!: Stopped and chatted it up with a couple block down. Nice time, I'd stop and talk when we'd walk 2yrs ago. Lots of catching up and they now have a little dog, sweet little mix super friendly. Didn't know what to make of Lucy's cone.:heehee: I cooked a "simple" meal of scrambled eggs and veggies, one of my favorites. Hah... leg got sore along with the back this morning. Good thing no one counts on me cooking!!! :snork: Some evenings after work I'd just sit done. Keith would look at me and say "guess l'm on my own." Yes sweetie, I'm tired. Oh the sweet memories make me smile. Well I gotta go get stuff done, I'll rest and ice this afternoon.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Sounds like a very pleasant walk this morning, @julesglass-especially running into people you know and you can have a friendly conversation with them. Sounds like you've got an active morning, but a good plan to rest and relax and ice this afternoon. That's the smart way to do it, planning out your day when you are feeling the most energy but building in time to recharge after that. Have a great day--weekend is looming, any big plans?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

Sounds like you're doing well, we all tend to push it here and there. You're plan for Friday night sounds good, doing pizza here as well. Continue to take it slow and easy. Give extra hugs to Lucy, sure hope the cold laser therapy helps her out. Our Vet did some on our grand kitty one time we had him in, seemed to put a little more pep in his step.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Layla

Aww, jules, I hope your memories bring you comfort in addition to putting a smile on your face. :console2:
    With any luck you had a relaxing afternoon resting / icing.
    Enjoy Mind Humters and have a great weekend!
    @julesglass

• Friendly Friendly x 2