BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Here I go again!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by julesglass, Jul 11, 2019.

1. julesglass

julesglass graduate

United States United States
    Oh my how time flies when you're healing. :heehee: four weeks out and starting to walk away from the cane in the house. Pain is down to sore muscles only and going pretty much without the oxycodone. Of course that depends on what activity I choose to do. Most times it's one pill in the morning and Tylenol in the afternoon. Got service guy coming tomorrow for washer. Going to take daughter and grandaugthers to store later, pick up dog food. Now instead of the table getting cleared I've got to clear things around washer today so guy can have some elbow room tomorrow. It was a nice clean dry bed last night. I even layed on my incision side and went right to sleep! Of course I woke up later to painful side, however it was nice to do so I did it again later just cause I could. :wink: Happy day to all! :egypdance:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SelfHelp

SelfHelp member

@julesglass , congratulation on your 4th recovery week. I read you are starting to walk without any aids. Even venturing outside the house without any aids?
    I have also started walking inside the home without any aids, but I carry my cane in case I need support. I wonder though, if we should wait until after the 6 week recovery period before walking without any aids? Supposedly that is when most healing has completed?
    Just wonder if there is any guideline on when it's safe to walk without any aids?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Evening @SelfHelp. I've just been taking a few steps without the cane. I do it in the kitchen, getting into the frig and two steps to the counter to pour a drink. From counter three steps to cupboard for the cereal. I can't go the distance into another room yet or outside. Still have some stiff soreness down the outside of the thigh to the top of the knee. I'm just starting to get there. I really can't go more than three steps over and three steps back. I'll take it as progress, no matter how small. I've already been driving, easier to maneuver in and out with left hip than right hip. My only concern is the stiffness in the thigh and knee cause my plan is getting back to work after Labour day weekend. I'll just take what I can get and keep on keeping on!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Oh safe time to give up walk aides is when you are steady without them without limping. That's my motto.:walking: @SelfHelp.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@SelfHelp I think you are able to begin walking without the cane when you can walk, support your weight equally on both legs and walk without a limp. Some people are on the walking aides longer than 6 weeks, some less. there's no exact time table. Just pain free and walking without a limp and focusing on the heel toe gait.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Sounds like you're staying busy, @julesglass, and I bet you're getting ready to walk without aids pretty soon now. It's best to be cautious and deliberative but the good news is that there's no set timeframe for this, and you can take as much time as you like. Slow and steady wins this hip recovery race. Have a great Friday!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Evening to all.. I've walked around more without the cane in the kitchen. Got those nasty pans done.:yes!: service guy came and cleared the control panel on the washer and it started working. He thought the water shut off at the washer could be bad and not allowing enough water through. He told me to call a plumber to replace the shut off. Plumber came, good guy and he doesn't work with plastic lines. My friends brother does, so I'll get him to do that. Both these guys, appliance and plumber have good reputations for straight shooters. I just want to get the water shut offs done before I wash clothes because guy said this could be just a temporary fix on the washer. :fingersx: I did find half my table also. Too hot to go outside today. I only needed one pain pill today with doing the pans and half the table. That's another improvement as long as I can stay out of the ODIC! It's the little things that count the most. Take care, have a restful night.:wave:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CricketHip

Julesglass is on fire! Glad to hear the nasty pans are done... for now.. :heehee:

Your update sounds very positive.. but the water lines and washer issues sounds frustrating. I'm not sure what a water shut off is but glad they know.

Have a great weekend! :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. julesglass

julesglass graduate

I'm weighting out what I need to do and want to do today. I want to take Lucy to the off leash park, temps and breeze are just right. Need to get cat food and a few things for me. Think I'll take Lucy now, rest and ice then shopping later. I've mapped the store out in my head and if I can I'll get the scooter cart to shop. Pushing a cart won't work, too much walking, decisions, decisions. Was sore from yesterday's activity, not too bad though. Well, here I go! Wish me luck as I wish everyone a comfy day!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

Happy One Month Anniversary! Hope you and Lucy have a good time at the park. Smart move to rest and ice before heading to the store, especially on a Saturday!
    :driver:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Oh, @julesglass, you always sound like you've got so much on your plate every day! No wonder you were a bit sore this morning, all that activity! But glad that the activity just meant a bit sore, not flat out "I can't take it any more" sore! I hope today's chores get sorted out and you're home and resting by the day's end, a productive day but not overwhelming. Happy Saturday!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. CricketHip

Sending you positive dog park and grocery getting energy! You sound perkier, and for goodness sake, try to find food that won't muck up those pots and pans! :heehee:

• Like Like x 4
  13. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there :wave:(Boy, does that date me....remember that?)

Raise a glass :beer: Time to celebrate. Happy One Month Anniversary!
    I hope you're having a nice weekend, Jules. :)
    @julesglass

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Afternoon to all. Yes Layla I remember that saying.... date's both of us. Lucy didn't get to the park, friend stopped by while I was getting ready and was too hot by the time he left. He's going through a rough time and comes to talk and have some laughs to lift him up. Got to Wal-Mart and no scooter carts available, bummer. I did pretty good pushing the cart, better than I figured I'd do. Got over to some friends house for a short visit. Got home, ate and promptly fell asleep watching tv. Woke to get ready for bed.... okay i had ice cream before that. I had gotten some melatonin since i haven't been able to sleep till midnight or later. I think it helped and I'll continue for a few weeks to get my clock reset. Lucy and i did get a walk in this morning. I'm not doing a whole sq. block, three quarters of a sq. block, I'll try for a full sq. block tomorrow. I've been rethinking the PT at 6 weeks. I'm thinking of going for a massage for the incision area thinking it could help with the soreness down my thigh into the knee. The incision area including surrounding area is fairly hard to the touch and sore when I do a light finger rub. Still doing ice on it however only a couple times a day now. Any input on my thoughts from you all I'd like to hear. Starting to get concern about my timeline to return to work first week of Sept. Have a good Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @julesglass
    Doing well on your own at WalMart while pushing a shopping cart as opposed to riding a mobility scooter is awesome! Good for you.

Ice Cream calories don't count during recovery. :heehee: Someone needs to inform our hips and bums of that though.

If your incision is completely closed, which I'm assuming it is...how about some gentle circular massage around the incision area with lotion so your hand has some slip? Have you tried this? Some options would be Bio Oil, E45 Cream. Coconut Oil, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Cream with Vitamin E (my personal favorite) I avoided the oily ones because they feel too greasy to me, it's personal preference.

I wouldn't worry about your return to work just yet. You do have about three weeks and you may feel ready at that point. Often a week makes a difference in early recovery.

Enjoy the evening!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Thanks Layla. Ice cream during recovery is like a doughnut with a diet drink then! :wowspring: I'll try the lotion thing. I've got suave that isn't greasy. I had a nice surprise today that was so cool. I was laying in bed ( thought I'd nap ) when I went to put a pillow between my knees and I raised my recovering leg up so high!!!! I was shocked so I did it again and then again. Oh my gosh.... no pain at all!! I haven't been able to do that with either leg for at least 15 yrs!! Of course I'm not going to start an exercise program, yet. It just thrilled me to do it. In my 40's Id ride my bicycle before work, work with small weights and strengthen my core. I'd be happy just to work my core and weights again. It's the little surprises that are so cool. Tell's me I can get some of this back. Horseback riding here I come! :fasthorse:

• Like Like x 6
  17. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Needless to say I didn't nap after that. :eyebrows:

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

It's those unexpected little improvements that seem to tickle us the most! Good job!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Great stuff! You will be riding again before you know it !

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Great report, @julesglass I'm with you that small victories are so lovely, aren't they? Raising your operated leg up even a few inches and without pain is definitely something to celebrate. And whenever we do something we've not been able to do before, it definitely reminds us that there are MORE victories ahead and we can achieve our goals. Not sure you were serious about horseback riding or not, but absolutely if that's a goal, then I believe you will get there in time! Hurray for you, and have a good Monday.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1