TKR Here I go again!

I'm too chicken to go against hospital advice. However, I've folded down the top which has reduced the pressure a lot. Will persevere with that. I've got aspirin to take everyday for 6 weeks as an anti DVT measure too.
Another long boring day in prospect.
 
The TED stockings I received in the hospital were terribly uncomfortable and caused leg pain for me. The band on the top was way too tight. I don't know how long you plan to wear your TED stockings. If you plan to wear them long enough for the investment, I bought some really comfortable ones. They're Mediven Comfort Thigh High compression stockings. You take several leg measurements to determine your size. I've found mine to fit well and be very comfortable. With my first TKR, I wore them even after my swelling was gone on days when my leg felt tired. I liked them enough that, between my two TKRs, I've bought three pairs. Here's a link to a place where they can be purchased. I've bought mine from two different places, depending on who had the best price at the time.
https://www.brightlifedirect.com/medi-comfort-thigh-15-20mmhg-open-toe-dot-bnd.asp
 
Thanks @HoneyB. I'm supposed to wear them for 6 weeks. They're only knee high. I'm back at the hospital on Thursday for PT assessment so I'll ask then if it would be OK to give up on them.
 
OS said I could stop wearing them at 10 days post op as long as I was up walking a little a few times a day. Stayed on aspirin for 6 weeks though.
 
That would be brilliant. I can't wait to get rid of them!
 
A good night's sleep really but when I woke up I was on my side, the TKR side, with that knee bent round under me. Zowee! That was soooo sore to straighten. Now sitting up elevating it.
I'm beginning to get slightly concerned about my bend. After a good start my knee seems to have stiffened up a lot. I walk about every hour as I can't stand the immobility and find walking a relief. I've got a PT assessment on Thursday and I really want him to say I'm fine and don't need more/ any PT.
 
@Spex10 Just a reminder-only you get to say what happens in regards to PT. If you like it and it's helping you, then that's great. But if it's not helping and making you hurt and swell, you can just say no. I declined PT totally this time as it really doesn't help and actually makes things worse. Maybe PT can be helpful for some people after a few months of recovery, but in my experience, they all want you to do what they think you need and really don't want to hear any other ideas, even from the patient who is the one going through it all. I have decided PT and early TKR recovery just don't mesh well, and is actually harmful in many cases. But you don't need a PT to say whether or not you "need" any more PT-the fact that you are hoping the therapist says you don't need any more tells me you want to quit and you should do what you think is right for you.
 
I agree. I'm quite a tough cookie and think I scared the first PT when I quoted the research findings on efficacy of PT after TKR. I think that's why I now get the head PT. However, he really is good and I know that he and the OS are really trying to prevent me having to have another MUA.
It's quite damp here today after a long spell of hot weather so I think I'm a bit achey due to that.
 
You are less than 3 weeks out of surgery. Try to relax. It’s very very early days. :console2:
 
It is way too early to worry about bending. Just worry about getting the swelling and inflammation down. Ice and elevating helps that! Waking up, laying on that new knee has probably angered it some more and is likely more swollen inside and out. Give it some extra TLC today!
 
Well isn't life full of fun on sticks?! One handed showering including trying to wash hair while clinging on to grab handle then dropping stick is a challenge. Getting dressed is a game too. Hoopla with pants, trying to hook them round the feet etc. Post TKR is an interesting life in its way. Sometimes I just have to laugh, it's better than the alternative!
 
Hoopla with pants, trying to hook them round the feet etc.
I set my pants on the floor having the legs opened so I could just step into them. Then, I bent over and pulled them up. Bending over hurt, but I could do it and dress myself! When you are alone in this recovery you have to be inventive!
 
PT put me in pool therapy at 4 weeks. Getting into my one piece bathing suit was not fun. I did the same thing sistersinhim did, finally set it on the floor with the left leg open and put my foot there, then struggled from there.

By the way, the pool experience was highly overrated and it took me 3 days to recover from that 50 minute, first and last, session. :blackcloud:
 
I sit on the side of my bed and get dressed. I can manage my pants easily and there's no chance of falling. Well, almost no chance at falling since, knowing me, I can manage it somehow. After all, I managed to fall off a commode in the hospital. :rotfl: But seriously, it is easier for me if I sit and dress rather than while standing and chance a fall.
 
Blimey. I can't even imagine trying to put on a swimsuit. I did go back to aqua fit at 5 months last time but it really set me back.
I do get dressed sitting on my bed. It's usually OK. However, one time I stood up and suddenly sneezed which propelled me backwards on to the bed with stick flying! If only it had been filmed. It was so funny! It was lucky it happened so near to the bed.
 
Just beginning to panic a little about my ROM. Its no better than it was immediately post op and actually seems a bit worse. I have a PT assessment tomorrow and am now worrying. There's not much he can say or do about it and I still have another 5 weeks till my appt with OS but even so. My problems after the last TKR loom large in my mind. Oh dear.
 
Back
Top Bottom