TKR Here I go again!

I'm taking the max no of paracetamol a day but it's only a week since my op.
I hated the nausea and woolly headedness the opiodes gave me last time so was adamant that I didn't want them this time. Of course I'm Scottish and am used to pain!!
 
I seem to have developed an odd sleep pattern. Usually 2 three hour sessions then I just have to get up. It's 4am in the morning here and I'm wide awake and worrying about the staple removal tomorrow. They look so deeply embedded.
I've been home almost a week and have made definite progress when I think about it. I only need one stick now. The thigh pain from the tourniquet has gone and my digestion has settled after the assault of meds. Oh well. One week down, rest of my life to go!
 
Oh yes @Celle. I just sleep as and when I can. I think it will make all the difference when I can roll over and sleep on my side then front. Meanwhile I'm catching up on reading and all the TV I've recorded. If it wasn't for my knee I'd be feeling very decadent!
 
Interesting about your sleep patterns--the same as I had. Seems to indicate it's not the pain meds (since you aren't taking any) but the surgery recovery itself. Wishing you good sleep installments. ;)
 
day 2, squats? I don't think so!

Day two squats? Not on your life! Not even day 22 squats or day 222 squats!

I'm with you-knowing what to expect is worse for me than not knowing. I'm at 2 weeks and 2 days and haven't done a speck of PT. You might want to try not doing any and see if that helps your pain not get too high, plus attach the ice/ice machine to your knee as close to around the clock as you can. Mine is generally on when I'm lying down, except for right now as I need to exchange the frozen water bottles and grab my lunch-then it's me and my new best friends, Mr. Ice Machine and Sir Lounge Doctor, for the rest of the day, other than necessary breaks. I'm not using any pain relief pills either; not through choice but necessity, so am not allowing myself to walk around more than necessary walks to get lunch and the like. My pain at 2 weeks is very low at it's worst, and I plan to keep it that way.
 
Sadly I don't have an ice machine or a lounge doctor!! Oh dear.
 
I do but it's a palaver balancing piles of pillows and strapping on gel packs. I'm usually wiped out just trying to set it all up!
 
but it's a palaver balancing piles of pillows
Have you tried pinning the pillows together, like this?
[Bonesmart.org] Here I go again!
 
@Celle For information only-I did that in the past and the pins tore the pillowcase fabric. I thought about sewing all the pillows together, and then making one large pillowcase for them, but it was much easier and more effective to just buy the Lounge Doctor.
 
I think that's why you need those big pins, so you can put them through a bit of the pillow as well.
 
Oh dear. I just ordered giant safety pins this afternoon! I really would like a lounge doctor but they're so expensive by the time postage is costed in too and, in the end, we'd be left with this item and won't know what to do with it! I'll persevere with the pins and pillows in the meantime.
 
Good luck. I would suggest if you pin the pillowcases together, put them all together in one or two larger pillowcases after, which I think will help them not strain against the pins as much.
 
I am still using the elevation wedge my hospital sent home with me, I like it that much, so it could end up being a better investment than you think.
 
It would be great to be able to hire a lounge doctor. However, this is my second TKR and I'm not planning on having more. I've questioned OH closely and he says his knees are fine and unlikely to need to be replaced so I just can't justify buying one!
Today's the day I have to have my staples out. I'm really dreading it and feel so sick at the prospect. I nearly fainted last time when I had only 4 staples and the rest conventional stitches. This time I have 30 staples. Well embedded. Oh God. I'm so squeamish I can hardly bear to look at them.
 
Hugs to you and hope that today will go better for you than expected! :console2:
 
Back
Top Bottom