Guest viewing is limited

TKR Here I go again!

I’ve never heard of laughter yoga, so I just looked it up. Interesting concept. I guess one would have to be in the mood!
 
It's very popular in India I gather. The group here says that no sense of humour is required. I suppose it leads to deep breathing as you laugh and the release of happy hormones. Got to be a good thing!
 
Not heard of laughter yoga before. I've heard of laughter therapy. Maybe it's similar.
A funny story about yoga - my niece was banned from her class for laughing. She was behind a chap who lifted his leg straight up in the air alongside his body and above his head when a certain part of his anatomy fell out :heehee: She just couldn't stop herself, said he made no effort to adjust himself and the longer he remained in the post the harder she laughed.
 
The research shows that mood is improved at least as well if not more in older women than physical exercise and that it also raises the pain threshold if laughter yoga is practised. Seems made for post TKR ladies. I'd better try it too.
 
@Spex10
I read your post about starting yoga. I have done yoga in the past and really enjoyed it. I am 10.5 weeks po, have had a lot of anxiety about this recovery and feel the need to stretch. I know that yoga helps with relaxation and stretching. Would you please tell me when did you start, how many weeks po? What type of yoga did you do? Thanks.
 
@Elad1002 I'm many weeks PO. 7 months! However, I've not done any sort of yoga for 40+ years until I started again 2 weeks ago. All I know is that the class is called 'therapeutic yoga'. They seem well adapted for a crock like me. I'm guardedly optimistic. I think you need to heal a bit more?
 
@Spex10
Yes, I agree, I need to heal more. I am growing impatient with how long this recovery takes. I do feel like more stretching will help me now, but probably not as much as a yoga class. Thanks for the info, happy healing
 
@Elad1002. You could try upper body stretches? Maybe some core stuff? You'd need to lie down on a hard bed for that though I suppose. I struggle getting down on to the floor but am persevering.
 
@Spex10
Wow, I was just thinking the same thing. I will go online and find some upper body yoga stretches, thanks. Thank you.
 
Update on yoga: I've persevered with the yoga class. It's still a struggle to get on the floor and back up again but there's something working. The prolonged stretches and breathing do seem to have made a difference. I'm aware that my upper body flexibility is really pretty good. I have fused vertebrae in my lower back though which doesn't help. However, my ROM is very noticeably greater. I didn't have any complaints about it before but it must have increased a lot. Any residual stiffness has completely gone too.
I can't say I find the class easy and especially enjoy the relaxation session at the end but it's certainly been worth it for me.
 
Have continued with yoga and was amazed at my ROM when I remembered to look at it last session. It's well worth persevering with it.
 
Another update. I felt I had to tell you that I've rejoined the sports club that I used to go to before my first knee put paid to activity. Well I'm back and the feeling I get as I walk in is priceless. It's like going back in time to a time when I enjoyed going and wasn't in pain with every step. I love my time there. Aquafit three times a week really helps with flexibility and stamina.
Any newly kneed people - hang in there it truly will get better!
 
Isn’t it great! It can take a while, but I love that when I walk my RTKR is painless!
 
Back
Top Bottom