TKR Here I go again!

That’s great, and you got bandaids!!(sort of) :spin:

I was so excited about getting my stitches out, I innocently thought they were hindering my bend. There was not the dramatic improvement I was expecting. And, they put a bunch of steri strips on and said I couldn’t shower for 3 days! I was better off with the stitches and the waterproof bandage I had! The strips did nothing for me fashion wise, they started curling and were just annoying.

I hope you fare better than that!
 
Sorry. Its steristrips that I've got. I had a senior moment and couldn't remember the right name. I'm allowed to shower (thank God) but the nurse did say about them retaining water and being sure to dry them properly. Scared now!
I must have turned over in my sleep and wrenched my poor knee. The pain!!!
 
I’m sorry you wrenched your knee in your sleep.

After a few days with the steri strips I could shower, I wasn’t told to dry them carefully, once wet they started to curl and were so annoying.
 
This time around I seem to have more restless legs somehow. I haven't taken any long or even short walks, just to the car and back if going out. However, I'm finding that I really enjoy walking around the house. Somehow the action of walking helps. I can feel so uncomfortable sitting for prolonged periods especially with leg raised on cushions. It's a sort of relief to get up and walk about.
My scar is burny! Not infected or anything just that it feels like it's on fire. All those little holes left over from the staples I suppose. The scar itself seems to be well healed.
 
Scar feels a little better today. I suspect it will settle more over the next few days.
I was trying my bend a bit last night as I was afraid I was stiffening up and was quite pleased with it. PT assessment next week to check progress. If all OK with him I'll not need to go back. I like his cautious approach.
 
I seem to have a problem with ice. I use gel packs. However, although I don't place them directly next to my skin they make my knee joint ache. It's a neuralgia like pain which makes me want to put my warm hands on it. My poor knee!
 
I use an ice machine, and a thin cloth between my knee and the knee cover. It keeps my knee consistently cold, but not the frozen cold like the ice packs do at first. I don't feel any discomfort; it kind of numbs my knee and it's cold when I touch it. It actually feels pretty darn good. I don't really like ice packs as they are too cold at first, then not cold enough, all in a pretty short time span.
 
I must have turned over in my sleep and wrenched my poor knee. The pain!!!
Isn't it aggravating when while asleep we do something stupid to our knees. I can't tell you how many times this happened to me. The worst of all was when, after my left kneecap removal, my husband turned over while asleep as threw his leg over my knee. I screamed! After that, he slept in the other room until I was healed!
 
Still feeling neuralgia type ache down side of knee and top of shin. Can't bear to ice it. Knee's not hot at all, in fact it's relatively cool. Bruising is fading which is good. Tops of TED stockings have caused bruising all round behind my knee though, exactly where the elastic is.
Have been drifting off to sleep a lot today which I'm happy to go with.
 
I'm wondering if you really need the Ted stockings? I never have had them, and I know many people have never used them either. Maybe they are helpful, maybe not, but it seems to me they are causing you grief. Maybe someone will come along who knows about them to advise you. But, I'm thinking if it were me, they'd be in the trash. :dubious:
 
I thought about that I must say. However, I Googled who should wear them and for how long and that was exactly me! If nothing else, getting rid of them gives me something (else) to look forward to!
 
I never had to wear the Teds after any of my surgeries and I was glad of that! My thighs are big and I know they'd cut into me.
 
I use gel packs. However, although I don't place them directly next to my skin they make my knee joint ache. It's a neuralgia like pain which makes me want to put my warm hands on it. My poor knee!
You could try putting more layers of fabric between your knee and the ice packs.
If that doesn't work, give your knees a rest from icing. There's no point in causing yourself pain. Make sure you keep on elevating your leg, though.

Tops of TED stockings have caused bruising all round behind my knee though, exactly where the elastic is.
It sounds as if the TEDs are too tight for you. In that case, they're doing more harm than good. Take them off. Now you're up and about, the risk of a DVT has decreased. Make sure to take a little walk around the house every hour or so.
 
Here's a pic of my knee. It looks quite neat but it's early days yet
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Here I go again!
    DSC_0172.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 361
Thanks. Wish it felt as good. I'm hoping that some of the steristrips begin to peel off a bit soon. One down, plenty to go!
 
On the photo of your knee, I can see the indentation and the bruising where the tops of the TEDs have been. They are definitely too tight. If you insist on still wearing them, at least cut the tops, to release the pressure from them.

There's really no evidence that wearing TEDs does prevent DVTs once you are up and about.
TEDs Negative Research: Lancet 27th May 2009
 
Back
Top Bottom