TKR Here I go again!

I just ordered giant safety pins this afternoon!

Fear not. They are endlessly useful! I also bought some in anticipation of pinning pillows, but then bought a Lounge Doctor too and ended up using that. My giant safety pins have not gone to waste. I have used them to pin together several hangers of clothing items for seasonal storage. I use one as a key holder for spare keys I keep in a drawer. Another found purpose in my car to secure a blanket I keep on the seat for my dog.

If you lived in my area I would loan you a Lounge Doctor. Much as I loved mine I no longer use it; it is a bit of a dust collector at this point. I wonder if it would sell at a yard sale...
 
Well the nurse recommended taking out every other staple and coming back in 2 days to remove the rest. I can't say it was a terrific experience but she was extremely good and made it as comfortable as possible. Thank goodness for kind and experienced nurses!
15 down and 15 to go :-(
 
I'm glad the nurse was gentle and removed half your staples without too much pain for you. She obviously knows how to do that.
I hope that Round Two goes as well.
 
It's not half twingeing now though. She put a dressing on and I don't want to look at it. Hope it's OK!
 
@Spex10 I well remember the pain and trauma of having 46!!!!!! (if I'm remembering correctly-but it was 40 something) staples removed, so I really feel your pain. Most of mine had scabbed over so the nurse was careful, but the staples had to come out, scabs and all. I cried through most of it. Since then I request not to have any staples at all. My OS stopped using them due to his patients not liking them, and now he uses glue and steri-strips, which is sooooooooooooooooo much better.
 
Wish I'd known there was a choice! I didn't cry but the nurse kept me chatting away as I lay there looking out the window, anywhere but looking at what she was doing. It's going to be the same lady on Wednesday which I'm glad about.
This too shall pass, this too shall pass, this too shall pass...
 
When all those staples are out your knee will feel SO much better! I had 35 and 34 hurt, but my skin had grown over them. Hopefully my next one will be glue!
 
Staples sound archaic, I’m glad I had stitches!
 
Last time I had both staples and stitches. The stitch scar is a thin silver line but the area where I had staples is broad and ugly. Doesn't matter to me what it looks like though. I'll not be exposing my knees to public view!
 
Both my knee scars are broad and, well, more visible than I’d prefer. I had glue, but it’s not the glue’s fault. My body produces hypertrophic scars. But hey! The knees work great! :snork: That’s what really matters. And the only time I can’t hide my scars in public is while swimming. If people care that much about what my knees look like, they’re welcome to take a gander. :swim:
 
It's the little things I'm enjoying- a sneaky 5 minutes airing my feet and legs with the dreaded TEDs off! Oops Best pop them on again. They're so horrible in this heat.
 
Last edited:
I never wore TEDs for my knee surgery and can only imagine how uncomfortable those things are post-TKR. I had them for other surgeries years ago and hated them then. :gaah:

It’s okay to be a little sneaky. It’s how we find out we can do some things.
 
Well that's the last of the staples out. Yippee! My scar looks pretty well healed but I asked the nurse for some stick on sutures just in case. Psychological rather than necessary.
Another step forward anyway.
 
Staples out--milestone! :)
 
Back
Top Bottom