Guest viewing is limited

TKR Here I go again!

Try not to worry about your ROM. You don’t know what it is right now, for one thing. For another, it’s probably not as lacking as you think. (One can be positive in the face of uncertainty.) And for third, even if it is lacking you are only three weeks out from surgery and have PLENTY of time for it to improve.

It’s natural to worry about not doing well when you have a bad experience under your belt. Minds tend to go to places they’ve been before. :console2: Here’s hoping you have a good experience at your PT assessment tomorrow!
 
Please don’t worry! It’s only 3 weeks. You have lots and lots of time. :console2:
 
Thanks @Jockette and @SusieShoes. I'm really good at worrying. It's a major talent of mine!
Just had a good go at the exercises and my knee has turned to concrete! Must learn from experience.
 
@Spex10 You're at 3 weeks tomorrow-forget about your ROM numbers and just allow your knee to heal. You still have a lot of swelling inside your knee at this point, whether or not you have visible swelling on the outside. I'm almost 4 weeks, so not very different than you time-wise, and have no idea what my ROM numbers are, nor do I care, to be frank. I suspect my flex is about where it was a few weeks ago, and that's fine with me. My knee is still quite stiff, so I'm not causing it anymore trauma by doing PT; rather I'm allowing it the time and rest it needs to recover from having skin and tissues cut into, parts yanked out, a drill used (I assume) to be able to insert the very long rods into my upper and lower bones, etc. I'm walking around every day and increase my distance as my knee is able and doesn't holler at me. I am also doing small chores around my house as I'm able. I've "made" dinner two nights in a row, with some help from my hubby. But I don't do the dishes after. I've been sitting on my bed or sofa with my leg up and folding laundry for a little while, but hubby puts it away, and so on.

My ROM is good enough to allow me to sit in a chair, although I don't leave my leg down for long as it will swell and yell after a short time. It's good enough to walk with my cane, go up and down stairs, though I still take them one step at a time with both legs and also I'm very careful in the process so I don't fall. So, for now, that's good enough for me. As time goes on and the swelling decreases, my ROM will increase and I am happy to be patient and wait for it. To me, the end result is worth the wait and I don't want to try to force it to get to some artificial number to make a random PT happy. I'd rather take a slow and steady path to good ROM.

I see my OS next Wednesday, and don't plan to talk about numbers, and I doubt he'll do much more than check my walking ability, and look at the scar. I'm not at all concerned about the appointment, and if I were going to PT, I'd not be worried about what he or she thought about my numbers. Forcing yourself to conform to another's ideas of where you should be at any given point is setting yourself up to fail. Your knee will heal at it's own rate, and allowing someone who doesn't live inside your knee to dictate where it should be at any given time is not a recipe for success. Your knee is the boss, and no one else can force it to comply with their time frame.
 
I do know all that @lovetocookandsew but I did end up having a MUA last time. Apparently I have a genetic predisposition to hypersensitivity and adhesions. However, this time my knee does seem softer somehow. Last time its max was around 60° and it reduced steadily from that. I don't think it's doing that this time. I can put my foot on the floor when sitting in a high enough chair, I can do steps albeit slowly and I can walk without the hip hitching which I did last time. I think I'd feel very encouraged if the physio assessment went OK. I trust him. He's quite sensible unlike some that I've had experience of!
 
From what you are able to do, it sounds like you are at least 90*. Doing all that at only 3 weeks is fantastic! Most OSs don't expect 90* until 6 weeks! I'd say you are doing A-OK!
 
Thanks @sistersinhim. I seem to use this thread almost as a journal to record how I'm getting on and feeling about things. Sadly I'm definitely not at 90° but might be on the way to it. Fingers crossed!
 
Very stiff and sore this morning. Am steeling myself to take a hard line with the PT.
Meanwhile I've had a shower, washed my hair and put a washing on. What a series of logistical challenges! Managing all that one handed (and my non dominant hand at that) took a lot of energy I plan to slump until its time to hang up that washing and get suitably dressed for PT.
 
I'm so happy! The PT assessment went well. He was very pleased with my progress and was very encouraging. He gave me some new things to try including some work on my scar which I absolutely couldn't bear but he respected my wishes and didn't push it. He listens and suggests alternatives and praises ++
At the end of the session he measured my ROM at 90°!! I can hardly believe it.
I wish everyone had access to a PT like this one.
Think I'll have G&T to celebrate.
Also he said I can dump the TEDs. Hallelujah! What a day.
 
Just going to the bathroom can be a marathon. Taking a shower wears you out; adding laundry to that is a lot. I sit to sort my laundry, then my husband carries the hamper to the washer, which is in the garage....grrrrrr.(We're going to sell this house in the not-too-distant future and one of my requirements for the new house is an indoor laundry room!) I put the detergent and stuff in and one of us adds the laundry, but hubby hangs any clothes that need hanging and puts the rest in the dryer after they're washed. Then he brings me the dry clothes and I sit and fold them, but he folds any sheets. Doing all that myself would be too much at this point. I seem to remember that most homes in your country don't have dryers so I'm guessing you have to hang all your wet laundry out to dry? I only hang certain clothes and those are usually on hangers right next to my washer, not outside on a clothesline. I can't imagine having to do that at this point.

I have to spread any chores I do out over my entire day. Yesterday I took a nice morning walk in my garden, showered, picked up a little around the house, made my morning mocha, made my lunch, unloaded the dishwasher, and did my lunch dishes. All those things usually take a half hour or an hour; that was my entire day yesterday, other than icing and elevating my knee. Hubby did dinner last night and brought it to me as I was tired and sore, so didn't feel up to doing it.
You're doing really well for three weeks, the only thing I'd suggest is to sit on your PT.......literally if necessary! :giggle:
 
We do have washer driers here! Nowhere to hang clothes outside. They come out of the machine slightly damp though and I like to put them on an airer overnight to completely dry them off.
 
Washer dryers? You mean the kinds they use here for motor homes where it's an all-in-one? Cool. We have separate washers and dryers here. My washer spins them so well they're almost dry before they go in the dryer.....And when it's 104 or hotter the ones I hang are dry in about two minutes!
 
Space is at much more of a premium over here. Separate driers are widely available but a combined one is more practical for us. I can set it to completely dry clothes but that can make things too dry if you know what I mean.
We live in a flat so all on one level. No awkward stairs. Even leaving the building there's a ramp. All very convenient
 
And I whine because my house is too small when we have visitors and that my yard is too large! lol

My current house is one story, but the new one may be one or two story-we're open to either one. We looked at a brand new home last winter that was 3600 square feet and perfect for us. It had a smaller back yard than the one we have now, but was enough for our garden, a shed, a deck and some lawn. There was very little front yard, which we want as our front yard is pretty large here also, and we're tired of so much yard work. But it was in Arizona and the heat there is even worse than here so we passed on it.
 
Really enjoying the cooler weather today even though its made my knee a bit achey and definitely don't want to add ice.
The PT assessment really cheered me up and 2 separate kind friends have been in touch to say they'll visit next week just for a chat and will bring cake. Something to look forward to as the days are long and boring!
 
Having something to look forward is a huge mood lifter! Phone calls and visits mean so much!
 
Last edited:
I think my knee is sorest when I first get up in the morning. Goodness knows what I do to it in my sleep! However, that resolves. I'd say that the pain now is more like a bruise but with occasional zingers. I really can't complain. I can do without my stick at times which helps too although I feel a lot safer with it.
My husband is away now for a few days which will be a good test for me. I have enjoyed him bringing me my first coffee of a morning and a yoghurt to line my stomach before the aspirin.
It's still quite cool here. Lovely!
 
Having that extra sore/stiff feeling when you first start walking in the morning I think is pretty normal. Especially when it resolves as you walk around. I seem to remember having it last time, and have it to some extent this time around. I don't know what causes it; maybe just not moving it much for eight or so hours? I'm sure someone here knows the name and cause of it, and will likely be along to tell you.

Enjoy your solitude. I am enjoying my time alone again each day while hubby is at work. While it's nice to have his help since everything I do is a minor to major struggle, it's also nice to do things myself as I am able, and the time alone to just wander around at will without being fussed over, etc, is priceless. Don't get me wrong, being fussed over is nice at times, but I am a really independent type so it is sometimes hard to accept help. Just don't overdo, and make sure to have your phone with you at all times. I stick mine in my pocket so as to not forget it, like I did when I went to the garage the other day.
 
Back
Top Bottom