TKR Here I am with my new left knee

Hope you are feeling better. Keep your chin up xx
 
I had a lot of swelling for 4 weeks. Elevate and ice made a big difference. Almost at week 9 and my scar still looks angry but the swelling is all gone. Don't worry about the ultrasound. Better to be safe. Cheer up and watch your favorite movie!
 
Don't think I could be any more bored. The only time I've gotten up today has been for the bathroom. Been Icing almost continuously, with short breaks here and there. Curiosity got the best of me, so I went on Youtube to see how they drain the knee. Not pretty ! I don't like the fact that it creates an opening for possible infection. But, for now im doing the ice, elevate, rest thing.
 
@Pescara, I think my PT was wrong by telling me to cut back on the icing. At the time I was doing very good, but I don't see the harm in ice as long as there is any swelling, and I still had plenty. When I told her about my "orders" for this weekend, she remarked "Really, I have seen much worse." "Maybe they are concerned with the location of the swelling." Maybe I should have continued to ice for a while, but who knows if it would have mattered. And also, Ultrasound was good. Hopefully I won't get any clots while I'm being lazy and off the blood thinner.
 
@cpd599 I was happy to hear the ultrasound went well. @ week 9 I still Ice and rest. Ice will help with the swelling and don't forget to elevate. I watched the replacement video on YouTube and scared me half to death. I recommend staying away from it. How are you doing today?
 
Good Morning. Slept very good. I have been icing and elevating for 2 1/2 days straight now, except while sleeping. Measurements of the knee are not changing much. I can't feel any difference from not taking the blood thinner, and there is no additional swelling anywhere. Pain has been good, but I haven't been doing ANYTHING. I can't help but think about how much this is setting me back, but on the other hand, I still have 3 weeks before my follow up with OS to X-ray and see if bone is fusing to my new knee and begin weight bearing. I just need to have everything else strong enough. I'm trying to be positive and patient, but it is very hard. I had hoped to be farther along at this point. Of course, I was until Wednesday... Sorry.... I'm not having a good day. Sorry about all the whining too !
 
@cpd599 We all vent. Don't feel bad about it. Maybe try not to measure for a couple of days. You might be surprised. When I went off the blood thinners my hubby was so happy. We could finally turn the a/c down. I waited for week 4 for my x-Ray. The OS never called me so I guess it was ok. I will find out on the 18th. I finally went grocery shopping with hubby help and the beloved electric cart. Hope you are feeling better today and vent all you want. We are here for you. :hi:
 
@Pescara, The only reason I measure is because he wanted me to let him know if it got any worse. I have to call him tomorrow and, most likely, tell him there is no change.
Glad to hear you are doing good. Shopping sounds great.
 
Shopping was fun but I had to take a nap afterwards. I think it was mostly the drive . Seems like we hit every pot hole and I felt every one. Now I know why I don't go far lol.
 
Nothin wrong with a nap. I'd say that's a pretty good trade off for some time out of the house. Pretty soon you won't even notice the pot holes.
 
@cpd599 I finally went grocery shopping with hubby help and the beloved electric cart.
Went grocery shopping today with my husband too, and love using the electric carts! We actually wanted to see how driving myself on short trips would work, and I feel fine to drive at this point, since my surgery was my left knee. I just have so many PT appointments and an eye appt. this week, hate to keep asking for rides.

I should probably clarify, by driving I meant driving my car to the grocery store with husband, not driving the electric cart:loll:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@cpd599 sorry. Now I know why you measure. I could kiss the person who invented the electric carts lol. Hope you are feeling better today and the swelling has gone down. I don't think mine went down until week 5 or 6 but turned a beautiful shade of purple. After 9 weeks it is still looking very angry. Hope you have a great day. Keep us posted on how you are doing
 
Morning. I was at the Dr. Office at 7:45 this morning. The OS and his assistant took another look and are still a little concerned about the swelling. The OS said he wanted to try and drain it, but it may not work. WE all agreed to try, unfortunately he was unable to get any thing out. So... gonna ice, elevate, rest today, start light PT exercises tomorrow, and resume PT Wed (If nothing changes).
I'm gonna stay positive this week, and try for slow steady improvement . 3 weeks tomorrow.
 
@cpd599 Stay positive is a good attitude to have. My swelling finally went away @ 6 weeks. It took ice every hour and elevate with 3 pillows. To elevate my OS told me it had to be above your heart. That meant to me flat on the couch with 3 pillows but made a big difference. Hope this helps. Keep us up to date. We are all pulling for you.
 
Thanks. Doing pretty good today. Finally moving the knee again, but it's gonna take a while to get back to where I was a week ago. I know it's gonna be slow, but hopefully steady also ! If I can start to get some movement back and bring the swelling down before I get the x-ray/ok for weight bearing, I'll be happy.
I know..I know...1 day at a time.
Hope everybody is well
 
Happy Wednesday ! I feel very positive today. PT was here this mornining and it went well. I made up some ground in some areas and struggled a little in others, but I'm happy to be moving again ! Gonna try to do a couple hours in the CPM and some light stretches later today, then ice/elevate.

Is anybody taking anti-inflammatory meds post op ? My Dr hasn't mentioned them yet, but I'm sure ther's a reason. Just curious
 
I actually started taking Advil a couple of weeks ago, alternating with Tylenol and saw a real difference in the swelling in my knee. Of course, I had my routine labs done this week and saw my PCP and there was a slight bump in my creatinine which we both attribute to the increase in Nsaid use, so I've started to back off. My PCP wasn't that concerned, but just told me to drink lots of water and try to decrease use over the next few weeks. My OS actually put me on Mobic twice a day for the 1st 2 weeks to decrease inflammation in the beginning so I think there is some usefulness in temporary use. I have hardly any swelling in my knee now and the Advil seems to be the only thing that actually helped along with the Tylenol to keep my pain under control.
 
@Gigi32. Thanx. Advil was the only thing that helped my knee prior to surgery. I am only taking pain meds now, but I think the Percocet has Tylenol in it . I have cut back on it this week though. I will have to ask Dr. what they plan to give me after Percocet. Only 3 weeks out.
 
Hi I am still on anti inflammatory I take Dicloflex 50mg one three times daily. Glad you had a good or session and you are feeling positive. I have just had pt session and massage such a relief when everything seems so tight xx
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom