TKR Here I am with my new left knee

@cpd. I have had some back pain and ankle pain. Ice on my back and a few ankle exercises seemed to help
 
@cpd599 - I've had sporadic ankle pain, which at the time was quite concerning.. How can you walk with a bad knee AND a bad ankle?? Fortunately it was short lived and hasn't returned. Hopefully you will experience that as well??
 
I understand that because your knee and leg are now straight, the force on your ankle comes at a slightly different angle, so takes some adjusting to. The pain went away for me fairly quickly.
 
Thanks for replies. Another question : How often do you guys do your PT exercises on your own, and how long do you spend in the CPM total each day ?

Today was my first day home alone all day, from 0830-1800. Not only was it very boring, but I have to much time to think, and I get depressed. Same thing all week. My youngest daughter started new job today, and my oldest has been working doubles. Tomorrow is 4 weeks.
 
How often do you guys do your PT exercises on your own
Listen to your body---and how both your knee and how you feel. Remember---at times, "less is more."

Everybody is different and heals/recovers on a different schedule and in different ways. It is is better to take these stretches and exercises very gently and slowly---do not overdo things, especially where you are in recovery.
ot only was it very boring, but I have to much time to think, and I get depressed. Same thing all week.
Remember that depression is all quite normal---the isolation, the pain meds, the dependence, and the lack of mobility and spontaneity all add up to this.

I dozed, watched TVLand on TV, ---I tried to read, but the pain meds would really not allow me to concentrate.

nd how long do you spend in the CPM total each day ?
What does your OS have to say? My OS did not believe in them, so I did not have one, but, if you are concerned about how long you should be in the CPM, just phone the OS's office and ask---they will let you know.

Hang in there!
 
@cpd599 - I generally try to do my PT exercises twice a day, in addition to walking 20 minutes and using the bike for about 10 min as well twice a day.
You are so lucky that this was your first day home alone!! Yes.. it gets a bit lonely, and boring, but DON'T get depressed just because of that.. :) Take the time to read the book you've been wanting to read or watch movies or.. whatever you never seem to "find time" to do when you're mobile. (I have lots of those things...) Catching up on magazines, writing letters to (or calling) friends/family you haven't talked to in a while.. Look at it as an "opportunity" to have time you wouldn't otherwise have. There is enough other stuff about this process to get depressed about. :heehee: (This is what I tell myself also... I love the weekends when I know my husband will be around, so I understand completely.. :yes:)

Oh.. and the CPM machine - I stopped using my after about 3.5 weeks with the one exception where my knee was particularly stiff from overdoing, and I used it again for an hour, just to loosen up my knee..
Hang in there, buddy!!! :SUNsmile:
 
I don't gave a CPM but I hear they are great. Maybe call your OS and ask about it. Depression is part of the healing. We have all been there. I do my own PT twice a day. I watch tv in between or play games on my kindle. It helps the time go faster. Sit back and enjoy. You will be up and going before you know it. I think my tv is on all the time just for the noise and my dog keeps me company. Hope you are feeling better . I promise it will get better in time. Keep smiling.:doggie:
 
thanx. Its been tough but I'll get through it. Actually had 2 visitors today ! Just wanted to compare all the PT stuff. PT told me I could do exercises 3 times a day instead of 2 if I feel up to it. She also said try to do 6 hours a day in CPM (total), but she is good with 4 hrs. I honestly don't know if I could get that all in in one day...plus ice, elevate, rest !
 
Wow.. That's a lot of CPM. Can't remember what your ROM is, but if it helps... My insurance gave me only 3 weeks with the CPM machine (though no one has picked it up yet), but I haven't used it in a while. When I did, I still think it was only for about 3 hours a day?? (Early days, used it a lot at night and was advised in the forum to cut down my time.. )

BTW you can ice while you're doing CPM...
 
I was supposed to do 2 hrs twice a day in the CPM machine. Usually did not make it, mostly because either a) I would suddenly get a muscle spasm that shut me down, or b) something interesting was happening elsewhere in the house and I had to check it out. But it did really help me, I think.

Doing PT 3 times a day seems a bit much to me. But if it doesn't hurt, then to each his own. But do not overdo. I was just fine until I tried a couple of new exercises last Friday. My IT band has still not forgiven me.
 
@Pescara. I know. This is like a full time job, really takes some planning.
Well, I had a setback at 2 weeks, and I was doing well till then, improving with PT every day. But, after a week of rest, I'm back at it for a little over a week now. I'm at around 86-88 Flex and 3 extent. Originally PT said our goal was 90 and 0 at four weeks, so I'm almost there. I know everybody is different, so I don't have any unrealistic expectations or goals. I am just hoping to show continued improvement.
Being that my knee is NON-CEMENTED, I can not put more than 50% weight bearing. I have my check up and X-ray to see if the bone and implant are fusing together on Sept. 3rd, so I hope I'm moving a little better by then.
I am happy with PT twice a day along with getting up and moving a lot, and 2-3 hours of CPM. I tried to ice while in the CPM and it was to restrictive for me. I'll do what I can do !
 
Good Morning All. 6 solid hours of sleep last night ! I feel good. Actually, everything feels good this morning.
Found out yesterday that I was approved for a few more home PT visits. That should take me up to my follow up with the OS. I finally got my Flex to 90 yesterday, so I'm very happy about that.
I feel really GOOD today (emotionally). hopefully it will last a while !
 
@cpd glad to hear you finally got some sleep. How are you doing? Nice to know you can have more PT at home
 
Good Morning friends. Kinda scary, but I feel good/positive again today ! That's a few days in a row now.
PT just left. I am at 0 Extension and 91 Flex, and that was at 930 AM ! Steadily improving.
Gonna hit the CPM and do another round of PT later. I have found that it helps to have a schedule/routine when I'm home alone all day.
TGIF ! Tomorrow I will be 52 years young (although I feel much older lately), and I am going to attempt to meet some friends out for an hour or two, God willing. I'm sure "you know who" will let me know when it's time to go !
 
@cpd599 - Glad you're feeling good!!! I find it helps to have a routine as well.

Advanced best wishes for a Happy Birthday!! It will be nice to get out and socialize and celebrate with friends. Enjoy!! :)
 
@cpd599 I was just reading your thread and want to say keep up the goid work
I had my tkr 5 weeks ago and had to go back to work part time after 3 weeks and 4 weeks full time. It swells but comes down by next morning. It is bothersome and annoying but hasn't impeded my Flexion at the pt. This week got to 116 myself and she pushed to 120 and 2 extension. I can walk up and down stairs alternating and holding on.....still weak quads...lol

Keep icing and try double ice to the extended area above and below knee. I've been told it will continue to get better and it will
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom