TKR Here I am with my new left knee

I am very mad at Myself because I kept thinking.. Don't over do it. The thing is, I didn't think I was. I'm still a little worried that there may be something wrong, but that's me. I talked to my OS's assistant today and he thinks I probably over did it also (PT thinks so, and conferred with him yesterday also), I'm trying to stay positive but it's hard. I was to the point where I was doing most things on my own. Now I'm back to needing a lot of help again. Ugh ! venting again ! I appreciate all you guys
 
It happens. Rest up. Readjust. Look forward.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
It was like something happened in my sleep.

Yep, that happened to me a number of times--even while taking my frequent at first naps in my recliner. I thought maybe I had twitched or moved wrong somehow, but I was definitely more stiff and had more pain a number of times when waking up. It has since pretty much gone away. If it continues, you might ask you doc about muscle relaxers. HTH.

Gilina
 
@cpd599 - This is why, I'm SURE, they say patience is a virtue.. if it helps at all, my knee is hurting today so much that I had to take an extra Percocet.. :P I spent more time in the recliner yesterday (not elevating or icing) as I had a visiting friend for about 3 hours.. It was so nice to break the monotony, but my knee is telling me today it didn't really like it.. Really, all we can do is "go with the flow".. and cautiously try to increase activities when we're feeling good, knowing to expect timely feedback from the "BOSS". Just take it easy.. It will come in time.. doesn't sound like there is anything "wrong". Sounds pretty normal. Hang in there!! :friends:
 
thanks guys, it was definitely more than just a "bad day", i'm on day 2 of recovery. its super tight.
but you guys are right;
patience (of which I have little) and keep working. I will keep doing what I can, but gonna be cautious right now
 
@cpd599 I know when I overdue by night time. Sore and can't get comfortable. Ice and naps have become my best friend. I even moved into the guest room because the bed is firmer and no hubby and dog snoring lol. The bed is also easier to get out of. Patience...I still haven't learned that yet after 8 weeks. Remember walk before you run. It will get better over time. I will be doing my right knee at the end of the month so maybe I have learned something. This time I will have someone to clean and do some cooking. So far 15 pounds down from hubby cooking. At least he tries and helps me with PT every night. Once a Marine Drill Sgt always a Drill Sgt but it has paid off.
 
How's it going today? Hope the tightness is loosening.
 
Been a long day ! PT was here at 930. I was able to do most exercises a little better, but didn't push it. We both felt it was better today. Had Breakfast, took a shower, and off to get my staples out. A 30 minute car ride was uncomfortable but tolerable. The nurse took my wife and I back, and asked how it was going. I started to fill her in on my "Episode" as I unwrapped my knee. She looked at my knee and said "The incision looks great, but how long have you had that swelling ?" I told her that it seems to have gotten a little worse since the "Episode", but it's been there. She said Hmm, you may have had some bleeding, I'm going to have the Dr take a look. (Not the OS but his assistant who handles most follow up). So he came in and said this isn't uncommon, especially for a non-cementes knee, but he thinks it's more than it should be. He also thinks I may have had some internal bleeding. They both agreed to stop my blood thinner for 3 days, no PT, rest, ice, elevate till Monday, and send me for an Ultrasound for blood clots. I still have a little bruising, and they wanted to make sure before stopping the thinner.
So here I sit.
 
Sounds like this is a great time to pick out some movies to watch, get a good book to read, play solitaire on the computer (or some other mind occupying game).. and just relax while you are elevating and icing. Try to enjoy your weekend and don't worry about Monday. That will be best for you.. Wishing you well, @cpd599 .:)
 
Better safe than sorry. Nap, elevate, ice and watch some Netflix. Now is the time to binge watch or read a good book if you can concentrate (I'm a reader and couldn't focus to read for months). There's a great book you might enjoy that's being made into a movie titled, Defending Jacob, really made me think about today's society (not a romance).
 
Thanks guys. This is a tuff time, and your concern means a lot. I had a lot of stuff thrown at me today, and I have to say, I smiled when logged on and saw you asking about me ! I have been icing, elevating, and watching a movie with my daughter. It could always be worse. Tomorrow is another day !! Goodnight my friends.
 
Glad to see your Healthcare peeps are being cautious. Have a wonderful, relaxing, healing weekend.
 
I was reading your posts so sorry about your set backb but you will make it up no doubt. I was thinking about what you said about doing something while sleeping I had my LTKR done and I like to sleep on my stomach one night my leg was to close to the edge of my bed and it kinda slipped off the bed needless to say it woke me up but I will say the next few days I was more swollen and very stiff so I know it can happen n in your sleep. Good luck I hope everything getd better. Valerie

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
 
@cpd599 I hope tomorrow finds you better. My surgery was the day before yours, and while I prepared my house and my husband for my recovery at home, I didn't prepare myself as much as I should have mentally. And I sure wish I had found this forum before my surgery - it's absolutely wonderful how the people here are so helpful and care about one another!

My first two weeks were rough, had trouble with pain and the hydrocodone they sent me home with made me so sick that my OS switched me to another narcotic, at the lowest dose, which didn't do much either. So my first week or so at home is still kind of a haze of pain and ice. When I went to get my staples out at 10 days, he actually said that I could have been taking 2 pills instead of 1 - what a huge difference that has made. Just not being in constant pain makes the PT and daily activities so much more tolerable. PT has been going okay, my therapist is a very nice man who doesn't believe in causing me pain. At my appt. on Wednesday I told him I was only going to stay for 5 minutes, was tired, cranky, and nauseated. He smiled and was so patient that the half hour was over before I knew it.

I feel like I've had a turning point just in the last few days. My pain hasn't been as constant, find myself going longer between doses. And I'm only using my cane to go up and down the stairs to the bedroom/bathroom. I tried a few steps here and there without it first, and then as a few days went on I found myself just forgetting to grab it when walking somewhere in the house. Just moving around my home with little pain feels like an accomplishment for me. Between that and less need for pain meds, I finally feel like I will recover and at some point will be glad I did it.
 
@cpd 599 Sorry to hear about your setback but it will get better as time goes by. There are some great movies on this weekend so sit back and enjoy. Hope all goes well with your ultrasound. Keep us posted
 
@SDkate, Thanx, I'm not sure you can totally prepare yourself for something like this, but this forum has definitely helped me. I'm glad you are doing well..I'll catch up soon!
 
Good Morning all. Had a good night's sleep, now I'm back in my recliner icing and having coffee with the love of my life. As I have stated in my posts before, This is hard enough to go through by itself, but Life keeps happening, and everything that comes with it. I have faith that this is all gonna work out. Measured my knee/leg yesterday and again this morning and there was no change, so we'll see...
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom