TKR Here I am with my new left knee

@cpd599. I'm doing pretty good for my age(61). I can't believe I waited 2 years to do it. It was my family doctor's PA that suggested it. My home PT was great and never pushed me. My turning point was when I could get out of bed alone and do little things around the house with no help. (Dishes,laundry and dusting) My OS wants me to stay on the pain pills but cut down a little at a time even if I don't need them so 1 in the morning and 1 before bedtime. You are doing great. Keep up the good work. :happydance:
 
@Pescara. First off...We are seasoned, experienced, mature...but not old ! We're doing this to set the clock back a little.
I'm getting around good. Pretty much just need help in and out of the shower, and setting up my ice machine and CPM. The walker is my best friend. My new knee is cementless, so I'm only partial weight bearing for minimum 4 weeks. not only does that make crutches difficult, but also carrying things.
I went outside last night and walked around to the back yard to sit for a while. It was nice but I wasn't really comfortable and probably stayed to long. when I came in I was ready for meds and bed, so I missed my evening PT exercises. I woke up early this morning and hit my PT routine after 1 cup of coffee ! Now my wife and I are going to attempt a short drive to check out my friends old Mustang at a local Car Show. Not planning on getting out of the car, but we'll see how it goes !
 
Sounds like your doing great. I am a loner and a hermit. I only leave the house for the dog and doctors. I sit on the screened porch for fresh air. The car show sounds great. I hope you had a good time. Have you tried a cane yet?. Remember...everyone heals a at a different time. :loll::happydance:
 
@Pescara, Can't do a cane until I'm cleared for more weight bearing. I think they take an Xray at my 4-5 week check up.

I'm dealing with a lot of thigh and hip pain now. Yesterday I had a great PT session. Bent to 82 and straightend to 5. Then in the evening and at bed time, it was killing me. A dull aching pain. just can't get comfortable. For 2-3 days now. Sometimes during the day, when I'm lying in bed or sitting in my recliner, the only way to get relief is to walk around, but I can only do that so much. I have pushed my PT a little harder lately though. Plus my PT says my muscle is waking up. Nurse is here !
 
@cpd599 You will know when you are ready. When I can't sleep I play games on my kindle and ice. It seems to keep my mind busy. Don't let anyone push you. I will be getting my right knee done at the end of the month. I talked to my OS and will go to a rehabilitation center for 5 days. I went with my left knee replacement and they were very gentle so I was ready for home PT. I never asked for numbers, just if I was doing ok. We all heal at different rates so take your time. It's not a race lol. Sounds like you're doing great. Maybe call your OS and see if he/she can give you something for sleep. Remember you are a rock star!!!:yay:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm my biggest critic. I will push myself, because I'm determined to get there. I know I am an analytical over-thinker by nature, but this process, I'm finding out, is not black and white, and isn't always one way or another. I will just try and take one "phase" of the process as it comes. unfortunately, sometimes that might be 1 step forward, and 1 step back.
 
@cpd599 - Are you keeping up on your pain meds? And are you sure you're not pushing yourself too much with your PT? Just a reminder, that will work against you more than for you. That was one of my early lessons, right about where you are now in recovery.. check out the activity progression in the library for knee replacements and that will give you a good idea of what to do GENERALLY, understanding everyone is different. I thought I was "taking it easy", but once I was told I was doing too much, it helped me redefine what "taking it easy" really means. You can't rush this.. Your knee is the boss right now.. :friends:
 
thanks @Braunzie. I am doing everything asked of me I think, but maybe it is too much. I apologize for my venting earlier. The more I think about it...I have cut back on my meds, but stepped up my PT. I feel good early and mid-day, but fade fast late evening to bed time. The first week, I was taking 2 Percosette every 4 hrs. Now I'm taking 1 every 4-5 hrs except at bed time, I take 2. My wife's friend, an Orthopedic Nurse, was asking how I was, and said " tell him to take plenty of his meds when he needs them for the first few weeks."
We'll see how tonight goes...just finished my second round of PT exercises and icing before shower.
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated
 
@cpd599 - I just reduced my Percocet down to 1 every 5 hours a few days ago, but I'm taking 600mg Ibuprophen every 8 hours as well.. There's nothing wrong with taking more if you have pain.. that's what it's for!! :heehee:
And.. just to add a little context to my own experience.. I was "doing what I was told" based on my pre-op meeting with the PT.. I was "told" I should be doing my exercises 5 times a day.. and there were about 8 different ones. I was in pain and depressed, as I never was able to so what I was "supposed" to do. Not a good place to be.:cry: Thanks to this forum, I saw the error of my ways and reduced it to twice a day.. It's worked MUCH better for me since then, and I've set my mind to doing what I can do, still striving to do more, but not causing myself any pain. My flexion is improving and my mobility is improving as what I feel is the right rate for me.. Life is SO much better!!!! (haha.. don't get me wrong, still have ups and downs / rollercoaster affect, this is, after all, a total knee replacement! - but MUCH less than before!)
 
Like your friend said, it's ok to take the meds in the first weeks. You'll reduce naturally as you need them less. I had a lot of muscle pain in the first couple of weeks too. Venting here is just fine. We get it. :console2:
 
@cpd599 We all vent here. Everyone goes on the sea saw. Don't wait to long to take your meds. We all try to cut down to early and end up paying the price.lol I do what I can when I can. I'm not in a race :dancy:
 
Well, here we go. Had a couple good days, other than the throbbing at night and at bedtime, then....boom. woke up this morning and my knee is killing me. It is super tight and I can barely get it to bend/straighten. I have no idea what I did. Maybe I DID over do it. I just didn't see it coming. I took the advise you guys gave about meds. I did my PT yesterday evening and the wife helped me shower, then I had dinner and right around 8 when I usually start to feel it, I took 2 percocettes and was comfortable up till bed, then 2 more and slept all night. Put my feet on the floor this morning and knew right away something was wrong.
The only things I did different were: I did not have a healthy meal (high sodium), took more pain meds, and slept all night.
 
You aren't even a month out, so there will be good days and bad days, just because it's so early. Ice, elevate, rest and in a day or two you should feel better. How are you feeling after getting more pain meds in you?
 
@cpd599 - Sorry you're having a tough morning.. What kind / reps of PT are you doing and how many times a day? How long did you sleep? Could be your pain meds ran out while you were sleeping and the pain you were feeling when you woke up had built up while you were sleeping? I know I can start feeling my knee right about the 5 hour mark, which is why I set a timer at night.. Yes.. breaks the sleep cycle, but beats dealing with the pain.. Can't wait till I can sleep through the night and not worry about it..

Just some thoughts. ....trying to help.. :yes::yes:
 
Yep, taking pain meds through the night is the only way to wake up without pain and icing through the night.
 
@cpd599 Welcome to the " over did it club"!! We have all been there. Did you happen to sleep on you side? If you did make sure you have a pillow between your knees. I forgot to do it and paid for it the next day. We all have ups and downs. Don't worry about venting. Maybe try to move your legs before you get out of bed. This helped me a lot. Make sure you take your pain meds on time and lots of ice. I take Norco 7.5 with 2 Tylenol Extra Strength before bedtime and sleep like a baby but still have days when I wake so I play games on my kindle. Feel better soon :doggie:
 
I hope I just over did it. It was a scheduled PT visit day, so she had to record my numbers. I could barely do anything, so unless I get some motion back, I'm basically starting from square one. major setback
 
Good night of sleep. I don't feel much different today. no flexibility back. PT wants me to try some exercises today and the cpm machine, but I'm not sure.
How should I go about starting again
 
@Braunzie. I do about 8 exercises. Fooot slides, leg extensions, leg lifts... 2 sets of 12 each, twice a day.t
I now have increased my pain meds, so the pain is under control, but more of it. It was like something happened in my sleep.
 
@cpd599 We have all been 1 step forward 2 steps back. Don't let PT push you. I don't worry about numbers just if I am doing ok. PT is supposed to help not hurt you. I am one of the "no patience people". I had to learn how to slow down. Hope you are feeling better today. :froggies:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom